NATION

PASSWORD

Gun lovers' paranoia helps stimulate the economy

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Yootopia
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Re: Gun lovers' paranoia helps stimulate the economy

Postby Yootopia » Wed May 06, 2009 9:57 am

Intestinal fluids wrote:
Yootopia wrote:Armed robbery is exceptionally rare.

So the 37% of all home invasions that happen with occupants inside, what do the criminals do? Just ask politely that everyone tie themselves up?

No, just break in at like 4am when they're asleep, nick their TV and run off into the night.
End the Modigarchy now.

Intestinal fluids
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 18, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Intestinal fluids » Wed May 06, 2009 10:19 am

How rare is it really? Ill be willing to bet there are many thousands if not tens of thousands of armed burglaries in UK every year, but if you have stats showing its exceptional rarity id be very interested to see them.

Yootopia
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Yootopia » Wed May 06, 2009 10:33 am

Intestinal fluids wrote:

How rare is it really? Ill be willing to bet there are many thousands if not tens of thousands of armed burglaries in UK every year, but if you have stats showing its exceptional rarity id be very interested to see them.

Been absolutely scouring the 07-08 crime report and the internet in general, but to no avail. I really doubt that most burglars in the UK are armed, if nothing else because they have no real need to be, and getting caught with an unlicensed firearm is going to add years to your sentence.
End the Modigarchy now.

Trve
Envoy

Founded: Dec 14, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Trve » Wed May 06, 2009 10:43 am

Rustafari wrote:I agree on everything except for the part that Democrats think they are doing this for the good of the people. They don't care about the people, they only pretend to. Any idiot (including the Democrats) knows that criminals will get guns anyway.

Which is why all the criminals in France, Germany, etc are armed to the teeth, right?
You even stated that more gun control equals more crime.

Which was wrong.
I find it hard to believe that those statistics somehow escaped the Constitution hating Democrats.

Right, Democrats hate the Constitution. Which is why they ignore it so much by claiming 'executive privalge' and denying citizens their rights, correct? Give me a fucking break. Gun control isnt unconstitutional. We limit speech, why should gun control be any different?
I am a Libertarian

You know, you could have just started with this, it would have explained everything else you will ever say, and I could have just ignored you.
KoL
Economic Left/Right: -9.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.15

Jahka
Attaché

Founded: Apr 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Jahka » Wed May 06, 2009 2:15 pm

Which is why all the criminals in France, Germany, etc are armed to the teeth, right?

Are you insinuating that criminals in other countries don't have guns?

Bluth Corporation
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 15, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bluth Corporation » Wed May 13, 2009 9:08 am

Trve wrote:There isnt anything wrong with a ban on assualt weapons.

Sure, there is. It makes it difficult--if not impossible--to achieve parity with government forces, making successful revolt almost impossible should it become necessary.
The Huge Mistake of Bluth Corporation
Capital: Newport Beach, Shostakovich | Starting Quarterback: Peyton Manning #18 | Company President: Michael Bluth

Champions of: World Bowl X

You should really be using Slackware

Bluth Corporation
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 15, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bluth Corporation » Wed May 13, 2009 9:08 am

Trve wrote:
Annexea wrote:There is also nothing wrong with regulating firearms, another Constitutionally protected right. Don't imply the second amendment gives people the right to do whatever they want with them.

No no, he's right. We dont ever regulate the rights laid out in the Bill of Rights. This is why there are no limitations on speech.

There aren't--at least, not legitimately.

Are you familiar with the is/ought fallacy? Just because something is done, does not necessarily mean it ought to be done.
The Huge Mistake of Bluth Corporation
Capital: Newport Beach, Shostakovich | Starting Quarterback: Peyton Manning #18 | Company President: Michael Bluth

Champions of: World Bowl X

You should really be using Slackware

Skylar Alina
Secretary

Founded: Sep 24, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Skylar Alina » Thu May 21, 2009 7:19 pm

Just because your paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Valipac
Ambassador

Founded: May 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Valipac » Thu May 21, 2009 9:38 pm

Yootopia wrote:
Intestinal fluids wrote:

Been absolutely scouring the 07-08 crime report and the internet in general, but to no avail. I really doubt that most burglars in the UK are armed, if nothing else because they have no real need to be, and getting caught with an unlicensed firearm is going to add years to your sentence.

http://www.examiner.com/x-2879-Austin-G ... te-gun-ban

This is Australia, not the UK, but a similar scenario.

In 2002–five years after enacting its gun ban–the Australian Bureau of Criminology acknowledged there is no correlation between gun control and the use of firearms in violent crime: “The percentage of homicides committed with a firearm continued its declining trend since 1969.”

During the same time period, all other violent crime indices increased in Australia: assault rose 49.2% and robbery 6.2%. Sexual assault–Australia’s equivalent term for rape–increased 29.9%. Overall, Australia’s violent crime rate rose 42.2%.

Disarming a populace only opens the citizens up to more danger.
Maredoratica – A Realistic Modern Tech Roleplaying Region
"What is written without effort is in general read without pleasure." - Samuel Johnson

Wiki | Using Satellites in Warfare | BoF 34 Champion
Designer of Ex-Nation Flag | AKA: Kampf

Oratiana
Secretary

Founded: May 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Oratiana » Thu May 21, 2009 10:57 pm

well, since england is such a popular example for both sides to yell about in this debate, i'll show you guys some fact-based statistics (statistics made from reported crime). keep in mind, that when determining whether policies work, or are working, you should look at trends, which take place over several years, rather than looking at one specific year.this way, you can determine if, and how, the policy actually influenced the grand scheme of things.

(scroll to pg 15 for the graph i discuss)
http://www.crime-prevention-intl.org/fi ... .Paris.pdf

did the handgun ban decrease overall or violent crime?

answer: based on the statistics, both violent and overall crime were declining BEFORE the 1997 handgun ban, and continued to decline at the same rate as the pre-ban numbers did. this of course, would mean that the ban has had little, to no, effect on overall crime and violent crime. of course, around 1998 (about one year after the ban started) the overall crime rate begins rising, maxing out around 2004, and has been steadily declining since. who wants to blame the handgun ban on this spike in crime? i'm sure some of you want to, but this is just a graph, and doesn't delve into intimate details like that.

in a search, i did find this interesting article: http://www.reason.com/news/show/28582.html

i've yet to look for the actual data behind this article, and it's from a conservative/libertarian website, so there is undoubtedly bias in the article. it's still interesting to see, and compare to the graph linked above.

something to notice in this article is that they attempt to explain the different cultures in the US, combined with the sometimes large difference in economic status in a small area, can cause violence.

regardless of crime rates and statistics, i would rather my personal protection be in my hands, rather than the hands of someone else.

Parthenon
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Parthenon » Thu May 21, 2009 11:32 pm

The FN SCAR 556x45 Rifle, 98601, 223 Rem (556NATO), 16" is on sale for $5,999.95 right now. Thinking about picking one up with my next paycheck, would make a good addition to my collection.
What sort of boomsticks do you guys have in the old gunsafe?
The Parthenese Confederation
Parthenon
Intergallactic Hell
The Bleeding Roses
West Parthenon
Former GDODAD/Metus Member

Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Barringtonia » Thu May 21, 2009 11:40 pm

Parthenon wrote:The FN SCAR 556x45 Rifle, 98601, 223 Rem (556NATO), 16" is on sale for $5,999.95 right now. Thinking about picking one up with my next paycheck, would make a good addition to my collection.

When young I went through the 4:10, 20 bore up to a 12 bore shotgun,

I haven't shot a gun since I was 13.
I hear babies cry, I watch them grow
They'll learn much more than I'll ever know
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

Skylar Alina
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Skylar Alina » Thu May 21, 2009 11:58 pm

Parthenon wrote:The FN SCAR 556x45 Rifle, 98601, 223 Rem (556NATO), 16" is on sale for $5,999.95 right now. Thinking about picking one up with my next paycheck, would make a good addition to my collection.

I'm going to get a FN2000 after I get back from OCS!
Last edited by Skylar Alina on Thu May 21, 2009 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Parthenon
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Parthenon » Fri May 22, 2009 12:08 am

Skylar Alina wrote:

Nice, one of my fraternity brothers is up to visit right now on leave from Mirimar so we spent the afternoon chatting it up about the core. What MOS are you looking to do?
Last edited by Parthenon on Fri May 22, 2009 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Parthenese Confederation
Parthenon
Intergallactic Hell
The Bleeding Roses
West Parthenon
Former GDODAD/Metus Member

Skylar Alina
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Skylar Alina » Fri May 22, 2009 12:37 am

Parthenon wrote:
Skylar Alina wrote:

Nice, one of my fraternity brothers is up to visit right now on leave from Mirimar so we spent the afternoon chatting it up about the core. What MOS are you looking to do?

I want to do recon but that may be a little hard to get into.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General