NATION

PASSWORD

(In Queue): International Postal Union

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:05 am

Just a pointer here: to be honest, I think hazardous materials are going to be malicious anyway since it is going to endanger postal workers. If it was just to say "any inclusion" then national postal administrations may complain that they won't be able to carry marked substances are in fact not dangerous when packed properly.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:22 am

The Royal Post Design Office, being bored over the weekend, came up with a proposed design for the new International Reply Coupon, should this resolution be passed.

They tried to include most major languages on the design face, we are told that several other languages will appear on the reverse. The language at the top is our own harberian, however, they say that the heading will be changed to reflect the predominant language of the issuing postal service.

The box to the left is for the issuing office to apply their date/time stamp to signify purchase, the box to the right is for the redeeming office to apply their own date/time stamp to indicate redemption for postage and cancellation of the coupon.

We hope this design meets with the approval of the prospective IPU membership.

Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Krioval
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:35 am

Grays Harbor wrote:maybe it is just me, but perhaps this could have been brought up prior to submission and it reaching queue?

I do believe that I warned against unnecessary verbiage earlier. My warning went unheeded.

[Lord] Ambassador Darvek Tyvok
Imperial Chiefdom of Krioval

Nordicus
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nordicus » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:36 pm

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:Just a pointer here: to be honest, I think hazardous materials are going to be malicious anyway since it is going to endanger postal workers. If it was just to say "any inclusion" then national postal administrations may complain that they won't be able to carry marked substances are in fact not dangerous when packed properly.

I agree with this. Many materials that would be "hazardous" when directly exposed to the postal workers can be safely transported so long as they are properly stored, and attempting to transport them without proper storage could be easily viewed as malicious. I see no problems with the proposed legislation.
Note: I am an atheist. If I say something supportive of a religion, it's because I try to be fair and even-handed, not because I am a follower of that religion.
H N Fiddlebottoms VIII wrote:Engineers hate biology, because it has very few right angles. Everything is all curves and bumps and the only penis-shaped items are actual penises.

Dregruk wrote:
Kma2 wrote:How else could it be that they are so uneducated regarding what is going on in America.

Same as anyone else; I slaughter gibbons and frolic in their blood. Or just, y'know, disagree with you.

Tsaraine wrote:Somewhere in Philadelphia, one school administrator has just smacked another school administrator upside the head. "Damnit, Jenkins! I told you we should just have gone with chastity belts!"

Biblical Creation

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:37 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:maybe it is just me, but perhaps this could have been brought up prior to submission and it reaching queue?

At least someone noticed this before it came up for vote so you can ask for it to be removed so you can fix it.
Charlotte Ryberg wrote:Just a pointer here: to be honest, I think hazardous materials are going to be malicious anyway since it is going to endanger postal workers.
It wouldn't be malicious if the hazardous material's inclusion in a package was done accidentally.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:38 pm

Nordicus wrote:
Charlotte Ryberg wrote:Just a pointer here: to be honest, I think hazardous materials are going to be malicious anyway since it is going to endanger postal workers. If it was just to say "any inclusion" then national postal administrations may complain that they won't be able to carry marked substances are in fact not dangerous when packed properly.

I agree with this. Many materials that would be "hazardous" when directly exposed to the postal workers can be safely transported so long as they are properly stored, and attempting to transport them without proper storage could be easily viewed as malicious. I see no problems with the proposed legislation.

Agreed. Shaving razors, by and of themselves, for example, are not generally considered hazardous. However, should some person of malicious intent include concealed naked blades on the exterior of the package, with intent to harm, that would be prohibited.

(Can I now be nominated for the "duh, obvious point is obvious" award of the day? :lol: )

Not Ta'veren

Nordicus
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nordicus » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:49 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:Agreed. Shaving razors, by and of themselves, for example, are not generally considered hazardous. However, should some person of malicious intent include concealed naked blades on the exterior of the package, with intent to harm, that would be prohibited.

Or, to go with the aforementioned example of bleach and ammonia, such a concoction could be safely transported so long as it is stored in container designed to safely hold harmful liquid chemicals; such containers exist, and are in widespread usage for manufacturing materials, pharmaceutical supplies, and many other fields, and could be easily sold by postal offices to allow such transportation. On the other hand, attempting to send such a mixture without the proper safety precautions would be at the very least negligently malicious.
Note: I am an atheist. If I say something supportive of a religion, it's because I try to be fair and even-handed, not because I am a follower of that religion.
H N Fiddlebottoms VIII wrote:Engineers hate biology, because it has very few right angles. Everything is all curves and bumps and the only penis-shaped items are actual penises.

Dregruk wrote:
Kma2 wrote:How else could it be that they are so uneducated regarding what is going on in America.

Same as anyone else; I slaughter gibbons and frolic in their blood. Or just, y'know, disagree with you.

Tsaraine wrote:Somewhere in Philadelphia, one school administrator has just smacked another school administrator upside the head. "Damnit, Jenkins! I told you we should just have gone with chastity belts!"

Biblical Creation

Charlotte Ryberg

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:56 pm

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:Just a pointer here: to be honest, I think hazardous materials are going to be malicious anyway since it is going to endanger postal workers.
It wouldn't be malicious if the hazardous material's inclusion in a package was done accidentally.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

It would still be dangerous, honoured ambassador. However, the honoured ambassador to Grays Harbor is free to take that "malicious" word off if it is to please more ambassadors, and that would be it.

But as it stands, it is not a serious issue but up to the member states to decide.
Last edited by Charlotte Ryberg on Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:57 pm

(we are also moderately disappointed that no comment has been given to the proposed IRC. :( )

Not Ta'veren

Charlotte Ryberg

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:58 pm

The design of the IRC looks a bit like the real world version, not bad, but until the resolution is implemented the design houses are not needed yet.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:00 pm

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:The design of the IRC looks a bit like the real world version, not bad, but until the resolution is implemented the design houses are not needed yet.

probably because it is based upon the RW version. ;) and like I said, the RPDO was bored this past weekend, and came up with that during a bout of insomnia early saturday morning. :roll:

Not Ta'veren

New Rockport
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Rockport » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:16 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:(we are also moderately disappointed that no comment has been given to the proposed IRC. :( )

The design looks good, my lord. However, my nation's government is much more concerned about the possibility that our Postal Service might have to handle hazardous materials that are packaged negligently. I understand your reluctance to go through yet another telegram campaign to get this to quorum. However, you could make this resolution much less vulnerable to the possibility of a repeal if you would correct the flaw that was pointed out by the ambassador from Mad Sheep Railgun.

-Silvana Rossi
Ambassador to the General Assembly
Federal Republic of New Rockport
The Federal Republic of New Rockport

Mad Sheep Railgun
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 27, 2009
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mad Sheep Railgun » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:06 pm

Didn't notice it until last night.
OOC puppet of Yelda

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly