NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Repeal "Invasive Species Response Act"

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Retired WerePenguins
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 26, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Retired WerePenguins » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:11 am

Personally, I am not sure what I "want." I do want the current resolution gone.

Most of the regulations are local matters. I don't really care if you have an invasive species problem. I care about my own and if I do then I should enforce it myself, not have everyone tell me I ought to do it.

The ballast water and invasive species is interesting. I think it meets the criteria for WA consideration. How it manages to somehow decimate all a nation's industries if implemented is something only a WA delegate can understand. I have a feeling that this idea, while a great one, falls into that land of (there ain't no proper category / area of effect for it so forget it).

Because really, "Thanks to our successful attempts to stop the green spotted yellow bellied catfish in local waters, Ecce Cola's profits dropped by 50%" makes no logical sense whatsoever.

Everything else is fluff and balderdash.
Totally Naked
Tourist Eating
WA NS
___"That's the one thing I like about the WA; it allows me to shove my moral compass up your legislative branch, assuming a majority agrees." James Blonde
___"Even so, I see nothing in WA policy that requires that the resolution have a concrete basis in fact," Minister from Frenequesta
___"There are some things worse than death. I believe being Canadian Prime Minister is one of them." Brother Maynard.

Andoni
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Andoni » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:10 pm

The Kingdom of Andoni is voting NAY for this repeal. Accepting that the legislation is not as complete as we would like to, each nation has the option to execute this legislation on a strict way or a permissive way. Andoni's law enforcements have been working hardly to maintain the native ecosystem and so will be even if this repeal passes.

If there's no legislation for this issue, a new kind of terrorism could appear, which would destroy entire ecosystems, affecting many nations agriculture industry and their economy at the end.

Andoni I
King of Andoni's lands.
Welcome to The Kingdom of Andoni, proud member of Winterfell region.

Andoni I,
King of Andoni's lands.

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:06 pm

Andoni wrote:The Kingdom of Andoni is voting NAY for this repeal. Accepting that the legislation is not as complete as we would like to, each nation has the option to execute this legislation on a strict way or a permissive way. Andoni's law enforcements have been working hardly to maintain the native ecosystem and so will be even if this repeal passes.

If there's no legislation for this issue, a new kind of terrorism could appear, which would destroy entire ecosystems, affecting many nations agriculture industry and their economy at the end.

Andoni I
King of Andoni's lands.

We firmly believe the ambassador's fear of terrorism in the wake of the passage of the repeal is not only misplaced, but laughable. The resolution under repeal creates an optional system for management, ranging from strict to non-existent manaent. The repeal will have the exact same effect.
I am pursuing my undergraduate degree from Texas A&M University in Psychology and Spanish. My goal in life is to be a marriage and family counselor. If you have questions about me or my life, just ask!

My girlfriend and I blog about Christian & general marriage, relationship, and dating advice!

NS member since 2009. WA Resolution Author (mostly all repealed), NS sports fanatic.

Mapleston
Attaché

Founded: Aug 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

I agree

Postby Mapleston » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:55 am

The Akashic Records wrote:A point of concern for us is that, the reason that invasive species only included non-sapient ones was because of the meaning of sapient itself, and how it applies to citizens. Had the bill included the sapient species into the regulations, we can see easy circumventions of both the Charter of Civil Rights, as well as the Convention Against Genocide.

Sapient species is capable of making, at least, some sound judgments, and as such, there shouldn't be any grounds for their population to have a "rapid, uncontrolled, and detrimental population growth upon being introduced to a new environment".

However, we do agree that it needed more refinements, as well as a much more significant clause in regards to international cooperation.
MAPLESTON
Glorious and free | Glorieuse et libre

CAMPAIGN RIBBONS

NEWERUSEA
MOSEICA

Andoni
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Andoni » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:57 am

The King of Andoni's lands is pleased to see his statement answered and took into account (even if our terrorism fear looks laughable for you, which for the King industrial terrorism is not a laugh at all). All the citizens of Andoni's lands were asked to vote on this resolution and this was the result:

Voter turnout: 23%
Votes FOR the repeal: 54%
Votes AGAINST the repeal: 45,5%
Protest votes: 0,5%

The result was tight and the participation really small but the King announces that the vote will still be NAY for this repeal. Even if the repeal passes, the Kingdom of Andoni won't have any trouble with it, since we are going to maintain our position towards this issue.

The King of Andoni's lands would like to express his concern about this matter and the hope of a future new more complete and strict resolution regarding this issue.

Andoni I,
King of Andoni's lands.
Welcome to The Kingdom of Andoni, proud member of Winterfell region.

Andoni I,
King of Andoni's lands.

Dominion of the Priceless Crown
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Dominion of the Priceless Crown Votes.

Postby Dominion of the Priceless Crown » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:32 am

I am sure not letting invasive species in my country.
Last edited by Dominion of the Priceless Crown on Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
I use a pair of flaming-submachine gun-sword/wings as my favored weapon. My HOUND Sturmsaint also works. Tell us yours in your sig!

Family! Hurt them and I. Will. End. You. Kay? ^^
BlueJay Republic: brother.
Tsb Kioshi.
Superbus membrum: Liberalis Circulum.

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:43 am

Andoni wrote:The King of Andoni's lands is pleased to see his statement answered and took into account (even if our terrorism fear looks laughable for you, which for the King industrial terrorism is not a laugh at all). All the citizens of Andoni's lands were asked to vote on this resolution and this was the result:

Voter turnout: 23%
Votes FOR the repeal: 54%
Votes AGAINST the repeal: 45,5%
Protest votes: 0,5%

The result was tight and the participation really small but the King announces that the vote will still be NAY for this repeal. Even if the repeal passes, the Kingdom of Andoni won't have any trouble with it, since we are going to maintain our position towards this issue.

The King of Andoni's lands would like to express his concern about this matter and the hope of a future new more complete and strict resolution regarding this issue.

Andoni I,
King of Andoni's lands.

We are glad that the King believes he should ask his subjects to participate in democratic processes for no reason whatsoever. Your concern has been noted. Also, the authors of the target resolution are working on another piece of legislation that does solve the problems mentioned within the repeal effort.
I am pursuing my undergraduate degree from Texas A&M University in Psychology and Spanish. My goal in life is to be a marriage and family counselor. If you have questions about me or my life, just ask!

My girlfriend and I blog about Christian & general marriage, relationship, and dating advice!

NS member since 2009. WA Resolution Author (mostly all repealed), NS sports fanatic.

Icamera
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Icamera » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:05 pm

Well, we were all novice legislators once! I'm pleased by the current success of this repeal and thank everyone for supporting a better alternative to the current Invasive Species Response Act.

Mr. Pearson, we must remember the size of the margin by which the ISRA passed in the first place; I have full confidence that the members of the World Assembly will recognize the seriousness of invasive species upon the introduction of a new proposal. If anything, I'm proud to have achieved at least that goal -- greater public awareness -- through the ISRA.

IOWAA Head Diplomat Colin Thilnray
Icameran Office of World Assembly Affairs
Last edited by Icamera on Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Senator of The Allied Republics
ICK-uh-MARE-uh (It's an anagram of America, not an Apple product)
(See here for all)
Rynatia wrote:If I asked you to sleep with me would you answer with the same answer to this question?

Sanctarian WA Mission
Political Columnist

Founded: Jan 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sanctarian WA Mission » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:12 am

Members of The North Pacific have spent the past few number of days on our forum voting on the current measure before the General Assembly. This resolution, which would see the repeal of the Invasive Species Response Act, makes very valid criticisms of the original resolution - criticisms which render GA#254 rather ineffective and most futile.

A unanimous vote of 4-0-0-0 on the forum in support of this repeal has seen our Delegate, Jamie Anumia, cast his vote (worth over 460 votes) FOR this resolution.

We congratulate the author on what should prove to be a very decisive victory.

The North Pacific Minister for WA Affairs
Dr. Katherine Saunders ORD DSJ, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of: GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
Divine Republic of Sanctaria
Ideological Bulwark #258

The Remean Lordship
Spokesperson

Founded: May 31, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Remean Lordship » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:45 am

Personally, the only thing i truly dislike about repealing this act, is that there are better ways to create a better resolution. As a member of my schools MUN (Model U.N.) I know that you can pass multiple resolutions at a time (contradictions will be stricken from those who are passed later) but, rather than a blatant repeal, one could just create another resolution that better suites what is needed. The first act passed with a 66% majority, so it is likely that a better resolution will have a simple majority too.
"No! No, you behave like this and we become just... savages in the street! The juries and executioners, they elect themselves! No, it is medieval! The rule of law, it must be held high and if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher! For all of society, all civilized people will have nothing to shelter them if it is destroyed!"
—Hercule Poirot

KEEP GAR #2

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:53 am

The Remean Lordship wrote:Personally, the only thing i truly dislike about repealing this act, is that there are better ways to create a better resolution. As a member of my schools MUN (Model U.N.) I know that you can pass multiple resolutions at a time (contradictions will be stricken from those who are passed later) but, rather than a blatant repeal, one could just create another resolution that better suites what is needed. The first act passed with a 66% majority, so it is likely that a better resolution will have a simple majority too.

Please read the stickies before posting again here

1) This isn't model UN. It's the WA. It's different

2) No, you can't have multiple resolutions on the same topic on the books at once in the WA. That's illegal per site rules. In order to implement a new resolution, the old one must be repealed first.

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:06 am

Votes For: 8,908 (83%)
Votes Against: 1,814 (17%)

Not bad...

*Nods*

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives