NATION

PASSWORD

PASSED: Cultural Heritage Protection

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Enn
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Enn » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:27 am

I really have to say that I am worried by this turn of events. This proposal, that we are currently voting on, has been bouncing around this chamber for a few weeks. It was at quorum, until Protection of Monuments rendered it illegal. How is it that it is still so poorly written? Why does this need to be rushed?

Such behaviour strikes me as contempt of this institution; it strikes me as more an attempt by the author to publicise their own name than any respect for the democratic process.

Given that the co-author also seems to be acting in a very... odd manner, also behaving in a rather disrespectful manner towards this chamber (and now removing the results of such from view), I must say that I will be very, very hesitant to lend any degree of support to any proposal from either nation in the future.

Stephanie Fulton,
WA Ambassador for Enn
I know what gay science is.
Reploid Productions wrote:The World Assembly as a whole terrifies me!
Pythagosaurus wrote:You are seriously deluded about the technical competence of the average human.

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:41 am

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:I'm not too keen on spelling mistakes (due to my strict drafting criteria), but I am not very impressed too when the definition is so vaguely defined and the proposal is rushed. Honoured ambassador to Bergnovinaia, I thought you did so well with the Biological Weapons Conference: why lapse so suddenly?

Becuase I have had no time at all recently. I wrote the biological weapons conference over the summer, when I had time to do so...
Krioval wrote:
Bergnovinaia wrote:You know what, this is an insta-repeal of Protection of Monuments so give me a break... Besides, just becuase you may be able to sit at the computer for hours (or however long you actually do) doesn't mean I can. I have been really pressured between school, preparing for our tennis season, and practicing for a piano recital lately so I haven't had time to muse over each and every thought created by the WA members. However, I will do so in the future so I don't piss certain people off.

OOC: Look. The problem here is that you rushed the thing to a vote. Admit it and let's move forward, 'k? If you're RL busy, then delay submission in the future. At the very least, ask for a quick run through it for proofreading - go ahead and TG me if it's just for a quick spell- and grammar-check. There's no *reason* to hurry on a resolution like this one.

Now then. Best thing to do at this stage is to get people to vote this down. Tell the delegates voting "yes" that you feel that the quality is lower than you might like, and that you'd like to submit a better version in the next few weeks. At the very least, stop the indignant tirades. Right now, with what I've been seeing, it looks like you're more interested in resolution count than quality submission; only you can determine for us whether that's true, or whether this is a one-time error of judgment.

I would do that but again, I don't exactly have the time to becuase I am VERY busy... I do acknowledge that the re-draft of this is complete B.S. but what I can't understand is all the criticism from people who mostly couldn't write a better proposal than the one currently at vote. (Not that this applies to everyone.)
I am pursuing my undergraduate degree from Texas A&M University in Psychology and Spanish. My goal in life is to be a marriage and family counselor. If you have questions about me or my life, just ask!

My girlfriend and I blog about Christian & general marriage, relationship, and dating advice!

NS member since 2009. WA Resolution Author (mostly all repealed), NS sports fanatic.

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:45 am

Acadzia wrote:Acadzia is concerned that such a poorly written resolution has been passed to the floor. While the spirit of the resolution is, in our view, commendable, there is just too many loopholes and forseeable opportunities for such a measure to be abused.

These abuses have already been listed by some of my collegues, but I shall reiterate them:

- No provision exists to ban states from declaring military targets as cultural heritage centres.
- Further to my first point, some cultural sites are of historic signficance because they were, and in some cases still are, military targets.
- There is potential for the infringement of religious freedom.

Furthermore, the resolution is lacking in specificity.

Acadzia reaffirms that all nations should be good stewards of cultural sites, and those of other states, but we cannot approve this resolution in it's current state. We recommend all nations vote against it, and that the authors of this resolution repair it and resubmit it, because, as I stated, its spirit is admirable.

For God, Commonwealth, and King,
Dr. Elijah Krozenberg
Foreign Affairs Minister of the Commonwealth of Acadzia

I do believe this covers what you are talking about:

BANS the destruction, blocking, and looting of cultural heritage sites by member states against other states during times of peace and conflict;

Hence, all of those would be included in declaring a site a military target.
I am pursuing my undergraduate degree from Texas A&M University in Psychology and Spanish. My goal in life is to be a marriage and family counselor. If you have questions about me or my life, just ask!

My girlfriend and I blog about Christian & general marriage, relationship, and dating advice!

NS member since 2009. WA Resolution Author (mostly all repealed), NS sports fanatic.

West Newmanistan
Attaché

Founded: Jan 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby West Newmanistan » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:55 am

The West Newmanistan delegate stands up:

"Fellow members, I see not the purpose of creating another committee that does something nations can do on their own. The WA does not need to interfere. I vote against." The delegate then pauses before saying very frustrated, "Oh look, the lemmings are all saying for again. Why do we have national governments anymore?"

The delegate steps down after voicing his frustration, perhaps too harshly, but he had a point to get across as yet another resolution that takes something nation's should handle on their own will draw WA interference will pass through these halls.
Last edited by West Newmanistan on Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
WA Delegate of One Big Island, a region where resolutions are read in full and thought about before we vote.

Philimbesi
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:00 am

but what I can't understand is all the criticism from people who mostly couldn't write a better proposal than the one currently at vote.

We get that your busy, please stop beating that worn out drum Ambassador. Further some of us believe that the WA has no business dealing with this and has more important things to worry about. Don't mistake practicality with complacency.
The Unified States Of Philimbesi
The Honorable Josiah Bartlett - President

Ideological Bulwark #235

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:00 am

And yet, I note that the ambassador from Bergnovinaia still has not answered the question at hand. Why the rush to submit? It's not like there were 20 people chomping at the bit to submit a proposal on this topic, you could have held off submitting it until it was polished.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

Murray the Evil Skull
Envoy

Founded: Mar 17, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Murray the Evil Skull » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:14 am

Flibbleites wrote:And yet, I note that the ambassador from Bergnovinaia still has not answered the question at hand. Why the rush to submit? It's not like there were 20 people chomping at the bit to submit a proposal on this topic, you could have held off submitting it until it was polished.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

A skull sits on a barstool, its eyes glow a malevolent red as it speaks,
"Personally, Mortal, I fail to see the the need for it to have been submitted at all. But on the bright side, at least they won't be able to add your Genetic Jackhammer to the list of preserved heritage sites...unlike the one of the old UN, my friend."
Murray the Evil Skull for WA Leader!
In your heart, you know He's right!

Warning: the player posts in Character, and will respond in Character.

Philimbesi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:56 am

:::must resist joke containing the words "genetic jack hammer" and "artifact"

Ideological Bulwark #235

Unibotian WASC Mission
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibotian WASC Mission » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:29 pm

Philimbesi wrote::::must resist joke containing the words "genetic jack hammer" and "artifact"

/\
|
|
|

The Man
~
The Artifact
|
|
|

\/

Philimbesi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:39 pm

Appears as though this one's got a good shot of passing so I guess it's time to prep...

Presidential Compound

A janitor hangs an ornate sign above a small door in the eastern wing of the compound. The sign reads. "WA Compliance Gnome Waiting Room". The door is well appointed and very thick, one would have to look very very hard to notice that the lock is on the outside...

Ideological Bulwark #235

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:05 pm

In a memo to the Mind of Charlotte herself that night...

Considering the fact that the events over the last few days have been very shocking, it could be considered that Lulu-Hilde Berlin may express interest in returning at this rate subject to your approval. I tried my best to help the honoured ambassador to Bergnovinaia but... well that's life at the General Assembly: but sanity shall prevail in the Mind of Charlotte Ryberg.

Yours,
-- Sarah Harper.

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:32 pm

Nocember 20th, 2009

My dearest WA collegues,

In that past few days, I have realized that at the current rate I am unable to properly edit and draft resolutions. Hence, in this realization, I have temporarily decided to take a back seat on the WA train so to say. I wil not be writing, or suggesting anything to any resolution for some time. However, I will still vote and apporve proposals as I see fit since that is my niche in the WA community, being the Delegate of AlliedStates.
I hope that you all sincerely forgive me for my short-comings and that we can still work towards better proposals, in the future that is.

Yours most truly,
The Honored Delegate from Bergnovinaia

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:16 am

For the record, The General Assembly resolution Cultural Heritage Protection passed at 4,173 votes to 1,833. To keep the peace, the incumbent honoured ambassador to Charlotte Ryberg, Ms. Sarah Harper, would recommend a bit of rest from the subject for now after such a hectic week. Forget the insta-repeals for now.

Philimbesi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:04 am

Just added by the Presidential Compound's visitors schedule:

Visit the haunted hallway.
When walking down one hallway in the east wing one can almost faintly hear a banging on the wall... sometimes a small voice pleading "let me out of here" can be heard as well... 5.00 Greenbacks extra!

Ideological Bulwark #235

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:46 am

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:For the record, The General Assembly resolution Cultural Heritage Protection passed at 4,173 votes to 1,833. To keep the peace, the incumbent honoured ambassador to Charlotte Ryberg, Ms. Sarah Harper, would recommend a bit of rest from the subject for now after such a hectic week. Forget the insta-repeals for now.

I do concur with your decision. Not only would it stir up mass confusion but considering the vote count, at the moment it would be a waste of breath.

Philimbesi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:54 pm

Ah... the first passed by a similar margin and the insta-repeal had no problems going through... The fact is your co-author is still licking her wounds from the debate you left her hanging on, and she wants time to pass because she's under the mistaken delusion that we will forget her name was attached to this.

Ideological Bulwark #235

Unibotian WASC Mission
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibotian WASC Mission » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:01 pm

Philimbesi wrote:she wants time to pass because she's under the mistaken delusion that we will forget her name was attached to this.

Her name wasn't attached to this. Ambassador.
Last edited by Unibotian WASC Mission on Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Krioval
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:06 pm

Unibotian WASC Mission wrote:Her name wasn't attached to this. Ambassador.

Close enough.

Acadzia
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Acadzia » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:14 pm

Bergnovinaia wrote:Nocember 20th, 2009

My dearest WA collegues,

In that past few days, I have realized that at the current rate I am unable to properly edit and draft resolutions. Hence, in this realization, I have temporarily decided to take a back seat on the WA train so to say. I wil not be writing, or suggesting anything to any resolution for some time. However, I will still vote and apporve proposals as I see fit since that is my niche in the WA community, being the Delegate of AlliedStates.
I hope that you all sincerely forgive me for my short-comings and that we can still work towards better proposals, in the future that is.

Yours most truly,
The Honored Delegate from Bergnovinaia

Acadzia wishes you could have admitted it before proposing this resolution.
The Kingdom of Atlantis in A Modern World. Join us, we rock.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives