NATION

PASSWORD

Military Ground Vehicles of Your Nation [NO MECHS] Mk.V

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Next OP for the MGVoYN[NM] Thread

The Kievan People
9%
Questers
7%
Rich and Corporations
1%
Yes Im Biop
7%
Anemos Major
47%
Dragomere
23%
Mod Controlled
5%

Total votes : 81

Risen Britannia
Senator

Founded: Jan 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Military Ground Vehicles of Your Nation [NO MECHS] Mk.V

Postby Risen Britannia » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:55 pm

Military Ground Vehicles of Your Nation (5)

For vehicles an' stuff

House rules (would you kindly read these)
1: Read the OP. As you can probably guess from the title this thread has been round a while, the OP contains all allot some of the knowledge gained from previous iterations.

2: By posting you are accepting that your vehicle/plans/ideas can be criticized, however it is up to you whether you listen or not (though you aren't going to make friends if you don't)

3: Please attempt to be reasonably civil to each other. Discuss, do not flame, do not bait, no matter how right you think you are, or wrong the other guy is. Stay on topic. Please simply report any unreasonable lapses that don't correct themselves.

4: Not really a rule but to see how many people actually followed rule 1, somewhere within your first post have the word "cabbage" (and no, there are no other tricks in the OP)

5: IC and OOC are both fine.

6: If asked multiple times to place images you post under a spoiler tag, you WILL do so. Nobody likes picspam.

7: No feeding the trolls

8: Respect is earned, and your post probably isn't as funny as you think it is.

9: No one has 'ownership' of this thread, it's concept, it's execution, nor does any player have the right to deny use of, or reference to it. Everyone is welcome so long as you respect the thread rules, and intent of the topic.

GOLDEN RULE
No mechs. This means no legged vehicles, or any sort of vehicles that rely on legs for movement, even if designed to fulfill the same role as tanks. This includes hybrids like Ghost in the Shell think-tanks and Tachikomas. If you're looking for a thread about mechs, please follow this link

Past threads:
For the previous threads, click here:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

Thanks to Dread Lady Nathicana who I may have 'stolen' some of this OP from.
OP is a work in progress, thread experience may change during online use.

New Vihenia wrote:The "V-0" of my Gun calculator

Gun Calculator

For those problem with mediafire.. you may try using this to view the file instead

View

alternate links

http://depositfiles.com/files/5m1i2pchz

It will calculate muzzle velocity, recoil force, inflight velocity of a projectile and it may provide simple assessement whether your vehicle can safely fire the gun without causing uncomfortable vibrations to the crew.

The spreadsheet is largely based on "Technology of Tanks" by Ogorkieswicz and a book about theory and practice about ballistics and gun designs.

Future updates may include some "penetration" calculator to calculate penetration of projectile to object other than metals (say..concrete)

Final remarks is use at your own risk.. hmm it's still pretty much in infacy.. many stuff there need to be cross checked and debugged. I'm actually want to use Odermatt's equation for calculating maximum pressure but it doesn't seem to work..so i'm stick to Technology of Tanks.

Contact information is provided inside the sheet.
Risen Britannia wrote:In an attempt to get people to start linearting more and because I know from personal experience that the tracks are often the hardest bit to get right, I have decluttered my tracks (not the best but they work) and they are now free to use, You don't even have to ask.

Any modifications big or small are fine.
Last edited by Risen Britannia on Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:13 pm, edited 7 times in total.
The Conglomerate of Risen Britannia. Think of us like the Mafia, if you increased their budget by several trillion
Lineart:
Old showroom and requests
New showroom
Risen Britannia is no longer my main nation, if you have any questions please TG Novorden.

Risen Britannia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Risen Britannia » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:55 pm

Just a heads up, as I am not going to be on tomorrow I posted this thread a tad early, so if you could keep using the old Mk IV till it's full that would be great.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=174604&start=12325
Last edited by Risen Britannia on Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Conglomerate of Risen Britannia. Think of us like the Mafia, if you increased their budget by several trillion
Lineart:
New showroom
Risen Britannia is no longer my main nation, if you have any questions please TG Novorden.

Nirvash Type TheEND
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nirvash Type TheEND » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:11 pm

T-84 Oplot M forms the backbone of the Nirvashi military.

EDIT: Whoops
Last edited by Nirvash Type TheEND on Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unreachable.

Ea90
Senator

Founded: Aug 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ea90 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:45 pm

The majority of the Yanintovian Armed Forces use the Questarian SA-20 Ermine-R as their Main Battle Tank.
Last edited by Ea90 on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:57 pm

Anyone care to take a guess what this is? Aside from the most awesome MBT idea ever I mean. :p
Also I am posting this for a reason. Well two reasons in fact. The first one is that I have some actual plans relating to it. And the second is that I want to cast foreshadowing about those plans.
Last edited by Purpelia on Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Rich and Corporations
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 09, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Rich and Corporations » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:57 pm

:
Questers wrote:... Fergana, which I just finished.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/870 ... ergana.png

Do you have a side - by - side comparison with the abrams and the Fergana?
Or even the Kodiak for that matter?
Last edited by Rich and Corporations on Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corporate Confederacy
DEFENSE ALERT LEVEL
PEACE WAR

Factbook [url=iiwiki.com/wiki/Corporate_Confederacy]Wiki Article[/url]
Neptonia

Lubyak
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lubyak » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:04 pm

I can't wait to debut the new Lubyakan CAmouflage Barrier/Bastion Aggregate Generator Envelope. It'll revolutionize NS armoured warfare.

Rich and Corporations
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Rich and Corporations » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:20 pm

In my 60s era heavy tank, I'm wondering...
Napier Sabre for a powerplant? This would make the tank ridiculously long though.
Corporate Confederacy
DEFENSE ALERT LEVEL
PEACE WAR

Neptonia

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:24 pm

Rich and Corporations wrote:In my 60s era heavy tank, I'm wondering...
Napier Sabre for a powerplant? This would make the tank ridiculously long though.

Why not just mount it sideways? Also, I get the feeling that by the time you tune down the RPM and generally adapt it for ground use the power would drop sharply.
Last edited by Purpelia on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Rich and Corporations
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Rich and Corporations » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:32 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Rich and Corporations wrote:In my 60s era heavy tank, I'm wondering...

Why not just mount it sideways? Also, I get the feeling that by the time you tune down the RPM and generally adapt it for ground use the power would drop sharply.

Still, a potential 1,500 hp is nothing to sneeze at.
And transverse mounting is uh... makes it too wide.
Corporate Confederacy
DEFENSE ALERT LEVEL
PEACE WAR

Neptonia

Lubyak
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lubyak » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:34 pm

Perhaps in the OP we could have some FAQ we've answered? Like why two barreled tanks and mecha are bad and what not.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:34 pm

Rich and Corporations wrote:Still, a potential 1,500 hp is nothing to sneeze at.

Newer said that it was.

Too wide? The thing is just over 2m long total. Your average tank is 3+m wide. So there should be enough space for it.

Rich and Corporations
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Rich and Corporations » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:39 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Rich and Corporations wrote:Still, a potential 1,500 hp is nothing to sneeze at.

Newer said that it was.

Too wide? The thing is just over 2m long total. Your average tank is 3+m wide. So there should be enough space for it.

So how is power transmitted to the sprockets exactly? Needs some kind of transmission, as well as a set of gears... so... oh. Yeah, the total length will increase on that basis alone.
Last edited by Rich and Corporations on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corporate Confederacy
DEFENSE ALERT LEVEL
PEACE WAR

Neptonia

Risen Britannia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Risen Britannia » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:45 pm

Lubyak wrote:Perhaps in the OP we could have some FAQ we've answered? Like why two barreled tanks and mecha are bad and what not.

if someone (or a group) were to make a list i would happily add it to the OP.
Lineart:
New showroom

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Samozniy Russian Main Battle Tank

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:45 pm

The People's Standing Army utilises the T-108 "Tsar Davida" (King David) armoured fighting vehicle as its primary battle tank.

Built to adopt a more conventional armoured vehicle more in line with western attitudes to armour design, it replaced the T-90 and the various T-90 upgrade platforms previously in service with the People's Standing Army.
The current-issue T-108MS, fielded in high-readiness formations, represents the latest in armoured vehicle developments. It features a highly advanced sensor suite, brand-new armour scheme, improved protection suites and reactive armours, and an improved capability gun and autoloader.

With a calibre of 125mm, the 2A100 gun (developed from the 2A90 gun of the T-108M, in turn developed from the T-90's 2A46 also used in the T-108) is capable, in extreme circumstances, of even accepting ammunition of the 2A46 and 2A90 series of guns, though such rounds are incompatible with the autoloader.
The Ammunition of the 2A100 is one-piece, and stored in a bustle autoloader modelled after the Meggitt autoloading system. 49 rounds may be carried, and all of them may be considered "ready". There is no additional stowage space within the hull, though space for bins of loose ammunition may be carried in extreme circumstances under the turret basket.
The autoloader design limits ammunition to a maximum overall length of 125cm, which permits significant future development of APFSDS ammunition and offers significantly heavier and more powerful ammunition than 120mm or original 125mm guns. In-service rounds include APFSDS, HEAT-FS and gun-launched ATGMs. In limited service are HE-FRAG munitions and "demolition" rounds.
As additional armament on the T-108MS model, is the 14.5x114mm Shrike heavy machine gun as a co-axial weapon, with four hundred rounds carried ready. A roof-mounted Remote Weapon Station mounts the Shrike 2 autocannon, upgunned to the 23x115mm autocannon cartridge. The station carries 227 rounds ready. The station also has provision for mounting two tubes of the Vampir ATGM, or alternatively to up-gun to a 30x165mm cannon with a 7.62mm GPMG coaxial. The station, in this configuration, carries 127 ready rounds of 30mm ammunition, as well as a one-thousand round belt of 7.62mm
Additional ammunition for the 14.5, 23, 30mm guns may be carried in the turret. The coaxial gun is managed and reloaded by the gunner, the remote weapon station's systems by the Commander. The Shrike 2 station (known as the Improved Lethality System) replaces the Shrike station of the T-108 and T-108M series.

This post may be updated.
Chances are, meh.
Sapphire's WA Regional Delegate.
Call me Para.
In IC, I am to be referred to as The People's Republic of Samozniy Russia
Malgrave wrote:You are secretly Vladimir Putin using this forum to promote Russian weapons and tracking down and killing those who oppose you.
^ trufax
Samozniy foreign industry will one day return...
I unfortunately don't RP.
Puppets: The Federal Republic of the Samozniy Space Corps (PMT) and The Indomitable Orthodox Empire of Imperializt Russia (PT).
Take the Furry Test today!

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:46 pm

Risen Britannia wrote:
Lubyak wrote:Perhaps in the OP we could have some FAQ we've answered? Like why two barreled tanks and mecha are bad and what not.

if someone (or a group) were to make a list i would happily add it to the OP.

http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic ... 9#p7227419
Twin-gun tanks.

Why Mecha fail.
Last edited by Crazy girl on Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Para.
Malgrave wrote:You are secretly Vladimir Putin using this forum to promote Russian weapons and tracking down and killing those who oppose you.
^ trufax
Puppets: The Federal Republic of the Samozniy Space Corps (PMT) and The Indomitable Orthodox Empire of Imperializt Russia (PT).

New Tsavon
Minister

Founded: Mar 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Tsavon » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:55 pm

Tanks? Tanks.

Ave Nex Alea

Mallorea and Riva should resign

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:56 pm

Rich and Corporations wrote::
Questers wrote:... Fergana, which I just finished.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/870 ... ergana.png

Do you have a side - by - side comparison with the abrams and the Fergana?
Or even the Kodiak for that matter?

I believe somewhere in the Mk3 or 4 threads there may be a comparison between the original Ermine and the Abrams.
Call me Para.
^ trufax

Rich and Corporations
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Rich and Corporations » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:57 pm

Samo... here's my advice, 125mm 125cm long ammunition would be too heavy to handle in case the autoloader fails. I suggest two piece ammunition each 75cm long. It would be more powerful then 125mm 125cm, and easier to handle as well.
Corporate Confederacy
DEFENSE ALERT LEVEL
PEACE WAR

Neptonia

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:01 pm

Rich and Corporations wrote:
Purpelia wrote:Newer said that it was.

So how is power transmitted to the sprockets exactly? Needs some kind of transmission, as well as a set of gears... so... oh. Yeah, the total length will increase on that basis alone.

Mount the transmission parallel to the engine and gear the two together via a simple gear box that does a U turn. :p

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:02 pm

Rich and Corporations wrote:Samo... here's my advice, 125mm 125cm long ammunition would be too heavy to handle in case the autoloader fails. I suggest two piece ammunition each 75cm long. It would be more powerful then 125mm 125cm, and easier to handle as well.

In event of autoloader failure, like most autoloaders in service, there are manual controls.
When I mention about utilising the ammunition from the 2A90 or the 2A46, those would be loaded completely by hand.

The ammunition being awkward is an intentional thing. Since the adoption of this gun, there's yet to have been a conflict which involves significant mechanised warfare. The gun has seen action against enemy armour, but against a weakened and scattered enemy force.
There's a war upcoming which is supposed to challenge (in IC, at any rate) most of the doctrinal and equipment choices my forces have made (proliferation of battle rifles, odd armour design, strange integration of air assets and air assault troops, organisational choices).

Also, the ammunition isn't actually 125cm, that's what the autoloader could theoretically handle.
I've yet to design the ammunition.
Or the tank.

That length is probably subject to change, anyway.
Last edited by Samozaryadnyastan on Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Para.
^ trufax

Rich and Corporations
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Rich and Corporations » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:04 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Rich and Corporations wrote:So how is power transmitted to the sprockets exactly? Needs some kind of transmission, as well as a set of gears... so... oh. Yeah, the total length will increase on that basis alone.

Mount the transmission parallel to the engine and gear the two together via a simple gear box that does a U turn. :p

Which would make the tank too wide and too long simultanously? Seriously? Your proposal offers none of the advantages of a transverse mounting.
Corporate Confederacy
DEFENSE ALERT LEVEL
PEACE WAR

Neptonia

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:06 pm

Purpelia wrote:Mount the transmission parallel to the engine and gear the two together via a simple gear box that does a U turn. :p

Which would make the tank too wide and too long simultanously? Seriously? Your proposal offers none of the advantages of a transverse mounting.

Well it all depends on how wide and long your gearbox is. A U turn could after all be made by as little as just two gears or a pair of crank shafts and a chain running in between. You might actually get a net improvement in length.
Last edited by Purpelia on Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Risen Britannia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Risen Britannia » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:10 pm

Purpelia wrote:Why not just mount it sideways? Also, I get the feeling that by the time you tune down the RPM and generally adapt it for ground use the power would drop sharply.

Still, a potential 1,500 hp is nothing to sneeze at.

Why 1,500 hp? the Sabre E.122 (3,500 horsepower) came out in 1946, add a decade and a bit of developed to that and you would have a powerful, well tested engine

Also dont worry, its only 0.2m longer than the Leo2s engine :p
Last edited by Risen Britannia on Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lineart:
New showroom

Rich and Corporations
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Rich and Corporations » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:12 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Rich and Corporations wrote:Which would make the tank too wide and too long simultanously? Seriously? Your proposal offers none of the advantages of a transverse mounting.

Well it all depends on how wide and long your gearbox is. A U turn could after all be made by as little as just two gears or a pair of crank shafts and a chain running in between. You might actually get a net improvement in length.

That's ignoring all the unusable space between the engine, gears, and sprocket due to your byzantine arrangement.
Edit:
Risen Britannia wrote:

Why 1,500 hp? the Sabre E.122 (3,500 horsepower) came out in 1946, add a decade and a bit of developed to that and you would have a powerful, well tested engine

The fuel consumption at full power is insane.
Furthermore, derating an engine will increase it's life expectancy, reducing maintenance costs.
Last edited by Rich and Corporations on Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corporate Confederacy
DEFENSE ALERT LEVEL
PEACE WAR

Neptonia

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information