NATION

PASSWORD

[Re-Draft] International Gun Trading Edict

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Ruior
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

[Re-Draft] International Gun Trading Edict

Postby Ruior » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:39 pm

Change in category, includes businesses, and only affects those who want to sell weapons.

Category: Social Justice
Effect: Mild

The World Assembly:

RECOGNISING that gun control is a polarizing topic in which many nations of the World Assembly share different opinions,

HOWEVER BELIEVING that consensus may be found in the realm of faulty weaponry and weapons not fit for use,

DEFINING International Firearm Trading Certification, or IFTC, as approval from a government to conduct modern gun trade with a person in another WA member nation,

ADDING that IFTC also certifies that the products being sold are safe to use and are not dysfunctional in any way at all,

CLARIFYING that modern gun trade, for the purposes of this resolution, does not include historical weapons, explosives, or blades,

HEREBY MANDATES that persons or businesses intending to sell modern firearms over international borders must have IFTC,

REQUIRES nations to define a process to provide IFTC to persons and businesses in their jurisdiction through a white list system,

DEFINING a whitelist as a list of approved persons or businesses,

ENCOURAGES member nations to prosecute persons or businesses who internationally trade firearms without IFTC and persons or businesses who knowingly sell faulty weapons internationally,

PROTECTS innocent consumers from using faulty weaponry,

PRESERVES national sovereignty since each individual nation has complete control over who can sell guns over the borders of said nation,

CLARIFIES that this resolution does not affect the sale of firearms within an individual nation, the sale of firearms for a nation’s military or police forces, or the sale of firearms between WA member nations and non-WA nations.

Category: Free Trade

RECOGNISES that gun control is a polarizing topic in which many nations of the World Assembly share different opinions,

HOWEVER BELIEVES that some issues in the gun control debate have much consensus and can be pushed forward by united legislation,

DEFINES International Firearm Trading Certification, or IFTC, as approval from a government to conduct modern gun trade with a citizen from another WA member nation,

ADDING that IFTC also certifies that the products being sold by a citizen with IFTC are safe to use and are not faulty in any way,

CLARFIES that modern gun trade does not include historical weapons, explosives, or blades,

THEREFORE MANDATES personnel planning to buy or sell modern firearms over their nation’s border must have IFTC,

REQUIRES nations to define a process to provide IFTC to citizens of their nations through the following systems or a combination of both:

1. A whitelist system, in which only certain citizens, as defined by the government, may obtain IFTC,
2. A blacklist system, in which only certain citizens, as defined by the government, may not obtain IFTC,

ENCOURAGES member nations to prosecute citizens who internationally trade firearms without IFTC or citizens who knowingly sell faulty weapons internationally,

PRESERVES nation sovereignty since each individual nation has complete control over who can sell or buy guns over the borders of their nations,

INTENDS that a government may prevent a person's purchase of firearms for any reason, including but not limited to suspected terrorism, mental illness, and resistance to the government,

CLARIFIES that this resolution does not affect the sale of firearms within an individual nation, the sale of firearms for a nation’s military or police forces, the sale of firearms by businesses or corporations, or the sale of firearms between WA member nations and non-WA nations.

RECOGNISES that gun control is a polarizing topic in which many nations of the World Assembly share different opinions,

BELIEVES that some issues in the gun control debate have much consensus and can be pushed forward by united legislation,

DEFINES the following terms for an efficient trade resolution,

1. A Whitelist – A whitelist system means the government must approve and grant certification to each person who wants it,
2. A Blacklist – A blacklist system means the government grants certification to all the population and only specific citizens are not allowed this right
3. IFT (International Firearm Trading) Certification – An official certification from the government to sell and buy weapons over the borders of other nations in the World Assembly,

MANDATES that sales of weapons across borders must be between to IFT certified personnel from each nation,

REQUIRES member nations to select a system of whitelist or blacklist to implement in their nation, whether it is simple or more complex,

PRESERVES nation sovereignty since each individual nation has complete control over what guns are legally sent and received over borders,

INTENDS that a government can prevent a person's purchase of weapons for any reason the government wants, including but not limited to suspected terrorism, mental illness, and resistance to the government,

PROTECTS citizens from purchasing faulty weapons from untruthful dealers over the borders of other member nations by requiring IFT certification,

CLARIFIES that this resolution does not affect the sale of weapons within an individual nation, the sale of weapons for a nation’s military or police forces, the sale of weapons by businesses or corperations or the type of weapons bought by these consumers.

BELIEVES that some issues in the gun control debate have much consensus and can be pushed forward by united legislation,

1. A Whitelist – A whitelist system means the government must approve and grant certification to each person who wants it,
2. A Blacklist – A blacklist system means the government grants certification to all the population and only specific citizens are not allowed this right
3. IFT (International Firearm Trading) Certification – An official certification from the government to sell and buy weapons over the borders of other nations in the World Assembly,

MANDATES that sales of weapons across borders must be between to IFT certified personnel from each nation,

REQUIRES member nations to select a system of whitelist or blacklist to implement in their nation, whether it is simple or more complex,

PRESERVES nation sovereignty since each individual nation has complete control over what guns are legally sent and received over borders,

INTENDS that a government can prevent a person's purchase of weapons for any reason the government wants, including but not limited to suspected terrorism, mental illness, and resistance to the government,

PROTECTS citizens from purchasing faulty weapons from untruthful dealers over the borders of other member nations by requiring IFT certification,

CLARIFIES that this resolution does not affect the sale of weapons within an individual nation, the sale of weapons for a nation’s military or police forces, or the type of weapons bought by these consumers.

UNDERSTANDS that it is not the average law-abiding citizen who is the problem, but instead criminals and terrorists who acquire weapons through illegal means,

3. BFT (Borderline Firearm Trading) Certification – An official certification from the government to sell and buy weapons over the borders of other nations in the World Assembly,

MANDATES that sales of weapons across borders must be between to BFT certified personnel from each nation,

ASSUMES that governments have selected the blacklist option if they do not legislate for the new system,

PROTECTS citizens from purchasing faulty weapons from untruthful dealers over the borders of other member nations by requiring BFT certification,

CLARIFIES that this resolution does not affect the sale of weapons within an individual nation, the sale of weapons for a nation’s military or police forces, or the type of weapons bought by these consumers.
Effect: Significant

UNDERSTANDS that it is not the average law-abiding citizen who is the problem, but instead criminals and terrorists who acquire weapons through illegal means,

MANDATES that sales of weapons across borders must be between to certified personnel from each nation,

DEFINES certification as approval from the government through one or two systems,

2. A Blacklist – A blacklist system means the government grants certification to all the population and only specific citizens are not allowed this right,

Last edited by Ruior on Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:33 am, edited 10 times in total.
International Gun Trading Edict - Re-Drafting Now

"We stand as a representative of compromise. Every topic has good arguments on both sides of the aisle. You just need to bring ideals from both sides to make good legislation."
-Tomassi Silva, Minister of Foreign Affairs, WA Delegate of The United Aliance of Wolcott

Aligned Planets
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 13, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Aligned Planets » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:01 pm

OOC: my horror at the upcoming NatSov arguments is overwhelming..
What if the democracy we thought we were serving no longer exists, and the United Federation has become the very evil we've been fighting to destroy?
"The 4,427th nation in the world for Most Scientifically Advanced, scoring 266 on the Kurzweil Singularity Index."
Don't question the FT of AP.

Jaresh-Inyo | World Assembly Delegate
Laura Roslin | President, United Federation of Aligned Planets

Ruior
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ruior » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:20 pm

Since the resolution allows nations to approve who they wish and this does not limit their military weapon markets I'm hoping those arguments are avoided.

"We stand as a representative of compromise. Every topic has good arguments on both sides of the aisle. You just need to bring ideals from both sides to make good legislation."
-Tomassi Silva, Minister of Foreign Affairs, WA Delegate of The United Aliance of Wolcott

Tavender
Secretary

Founded: Apr 29, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Tavender » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:47 pm

Are you quite sure you want to put a proposal about trade between nations into the gun control category?
Plus, you need some active verbs, e.g., "CLARIFingIES", "MANDATingES".
Last edited by Tavender on Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aneurin (Nye) Tredegar, Ambassador.

Leutria
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 29, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leutria » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:50 pm

Slight category error. The gun control category doesn't come in strengths, it comes in tighten/loosen.

Aligned Planets
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Aligned Planets » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:00 pm

Ruior wrote:Since the resolution allows nations to approve who they wish and this does not limit their military weapon markets I'm hoping those arguments are avoided.

Militaristic purposes is, for one, ill-defined. Insurrectionist rebels with anarchic intent have militaristic purposes for weapons.
What if the democracy we thought we were serving no longer exists, and the United Federation has become the very evil we've been fighting to destroy?
"The 4,427th nation in the world for Most Scientifically Advanced, scoring 266 on the Kurzweil Singularity Index."

Point Breeze
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Point Breeze » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:18 am

You've got grammatical errors in the following clauses:

MANDATING that sales of weapons across borders must be between to certified personnel from each nation,

RECOMMENDING that nations form government organizations in order to certify dealers and receivers of said weapons,

INTENDING that if a government can prevent a person's purchase of weapons for any reason the government wants

I consider this line to be incredibly dangerous. You're not limiting the government's power to just international sales here, this clause would apply to ALL firearm purchases, including domestically. "The resolution does what it says," so you'll need to clarify this.

Finally, all this does is create extra bureaucracy for nations that allow its citizens to own firearms. Certification must be acquired, but on what basis should certification be awarded? Social class? Financial contributions to ruling party? Race/gender/religion? If we have to legislate on this, it's going to be invasive, micro-manage-ey, and people aren't gonna like it. Stay true to the purpose of the law, and don't give up.

Edit: You've got another typo in the title of the thread.

Aligned Planets wrote:
Ruior wrote:Since the resolution allows nations to approve who they wish and this does not limit their military weapon markets I'm hoping those arguments are avoided.

Militaristic purposes is, for one, ill-defined. Insurrectionist rebels with anarchic intent have militaristic purposes for weapons.

May I suggest: "...purchases made by the government of a nation, including those for police and armed forces; ..."
Last edited by Point Breeze on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thane of WA Affairs for Wintreath

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:38 am

Ruior wrote:Hello everyone, this is my first proposal so I would greatly appreciate feedback. It seems to me that my thoughts are in the right place, but expressing them in words appropriate for the general assembly is a difficult task.

What I don't get is, why do WA newbies think their first thing to do is to try to make a proposal? Wouldn't it be more logical to partake the discussions first, to get some idea how and why reactions to certain bits of resolutions are going to be what they're going to be.

Also, "Internation"? Should be international. Current term seems to refer to interning.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Ruior
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ruior » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:18 am

Araraukar wrote:
Ruior wrote:Hello everyone, this is my first proposal so I would greatly appreciate feedback. It seems to me that my thoughts are in the right place, but expressing them in words appropriate for the general assembly is a difficult task.

What I don't get is, why do WA newbies think their first thing to do is to try to make a proposal? Wouldn't it be more logical to partake the discussions first, to get some idea how and why reactions to certain bits of resolutions are going to be what they're going to be.

Also, "Internation"? Should be international. Current term seems to refer to interning.

I've been lurking on many different threads before and I've participated in my school's model UN program for 3 years now. I wanted to write this proposal because gun control is a polarizing topic (Although I will be changing the topic). I appreciate the feedback and I'll reword the resolution soon. I just have one question. When I want to update a draft, should I update this thread, or make a new one?
Last edited by Ruior on Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aligned Planets
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Aligned Planets » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:19 am

Update the thread - otherwise you get beaten with the Mod stick :)

Ruior
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ruior » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:56 am

Aligned Planets wrote:Update the thread - otherwise you get beaten with the Mod stick :)

Thanks for the warning! :)

Alqania
Minister

Founded: Aug 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Alqania » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:31 am

Ruior wrote:I've been lurking on many different threads before ...
When I want to update a draft, should I update this thread, or make a new one?

OOC: :blink: Surely you have seen the opening posts of other draft threads where the most recent version is at the top and earlier versions below it in spoilers? If so, do it like that. If not, lurk some more, then do it like that.
Queendom of Alqania
Amor vincit omnia et nos cedamus amori
Former Speaker of the Gay Regional Parliament
Represented in the WA by Ambassador Lord Raekevikinfo
and Deputy Ambassador Princess Christineinfo
Author of GA#178
Member of UNOG and the Stonewall Alliance

The Untied States
Secretary

Founded: Mar 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Untied States » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:05 am

The Delegate from the Untied States will be the first to bite on the NatSov argument....

This delegate, after review of the the current draft of the resolution, finds that it is not a proposal he can support in good conscience. This bill is intended to do great things, am sure, but creating any sort of registry for firearms in my country is illegal -such is written into our constitution. Therefore, I, nor any member of my delegation, could not legally support this measure.

Ruior
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ruior » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:24 am

The Untied States wrote:The Delegate from the Untied States will be the first to bite on the NatSov argument....

This delegate, after review of the the current draft of the resolution, finds that it is not a proposal he can support in good conscience. This bill is intended to do great things, am sure, but creating any sort of registry for firearms in my country is illegal -such is written into our constitution. Therefore, I, nor any member of my delegation, could not legally support this measure.

That's disappointing, however I'd like to cite that this resolution does not make a registry of gun owners or a registry of guns at all. It simply allows or disallows these people to trade weapons across borders. If you read the updated resolution your nation could simply add the blacklist system. This would allow all, but select people, to buy or sell guns to certified people in other nations.

Ruior
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ruior » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:25 am

Alqania wrote:
Ruior wrote:I've been lurking on many different threads before ...
When I want to update a draft, should I update this thread, or make a new one?

OOC: :blink: Surely you have seen the opening posts of other draft threads where the most recent version is at the top and earlier versions below it in spoilers? If so, do it like that. If not, lurk some more, then do it like that.

I'll do that with the next version I put up. I forgot about that.

Point Breeze
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Point Breeze » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:17 am

Ok, so we have some terms "whitelist" and "blacklist" now, but you don't say whether nations are supposed to make a whitelist or a blacklist, or if whitelist/blacklists are banned. The definition there by itself doesn't do anything.
Thane of WA Affairs for Wintreath

Ruior
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ruior » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:20 am

Point Breeze wrote:Ok, so we have some terms "whitelist" and "blacklist" now, but you don't say whether nations are supposed to make a whitelist or a blacklist, or if whitelist/blacklists are banned. The definition there by itself doesn't do anything.
I'll add a mandate for that under the definition.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:41 am

Ruior wrote:I've been lurking on many different threads before

Lurking =/= participating.

and I've participated in my school's model UN program for 3 years now.

NationStates =/= Real Life.

I wanted to write this proposal because gun control is a polarizing topic (Although I will be changing the topic).

If you had at all read the past attempts at gun control, you would have realized why they have all failed. Which is, again, why I don't get why you'd pick this category of all of them to crash and burn in.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Ruior
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ruior » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:16 am

Araraukar wrote:
Ruior wrote:I've been lurking on many different threads before

Lurking =/= participating.

and I've participated in my school's model UN program for 3 years now.

NationStates =/= Real Life.

I wanted to write this proposal because gun control is a polarizing topic (Although I will be changing the topic).

If you had at all read the past attempts at gun control, you would have realized why they have all failed. Which is, again, why I don't get why you'd pick this category of all of them to crash and burn in.

I understand your point of view on the difference between lurking and participating, however the Model United Nation's guidelines for writing resolutions are very similar to that of Nation States. Also, just because a topic has failed many times in the past does not mean it should not be addressed. Gun control is an issue that should be addressed, but compromise must be struck. Many of the proposals on gun control that I read picked one side and stuck to it. We need something that crosses lines. This proposal allows for nations that want more gun control to control international trade with more ease, while nation that desire less control can simply certify all their citizens.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:21 am

Ruior wrote:This proposal allows for nations that want more gun control to control international trade with more ease, while nation that desire less control can simply certify all their citizens.

So it's in essence completely optional?

Ruior
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ruior » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:32 am

Araraukar wrote:
Ruior wrote:This proposal allows for nations that want more gun control to control international trade with more ease, while nation that desire less control can simply certify all their citizens.

So it's in essence completely optional?

No, in essence it allows for an international system for the buying and selling guns across borders to be established. It also gives many governments proper international legislation to prevent or allow the transfer of weapons over their borders. With all this in mind it still aims to preserve national sovereignty by allowing nations to choose who gets proper certification.

Tavender
Secretary

Founded: Apr 29, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Tavender » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:17 am

Glad you changed the category. You might want to re-think your introductory clauses now to highlight the "trading" angle so no-one thinks it's about personal guns.

Did you notice that Fair Trade has a dark twin? Fair Trade increases economic freedoms and Social Justice reduces them.

Your whitelist sounds like reducing economic freedoms (only these guys can trade). Your blacklist sounds like increasing them (everybody can trade, except these guys). I'm not sure that having both in the one proposal is a good idea.

Aneurin (Nye) Tredegar, Ambassador.

Alqania
Minister

Founded: Aug 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Alqania » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:49 am

"The Queendom appreciates the freedom given to member states in the implementation of this proposal", Lord Raekevik said approvingly. "For our part, we note that this proposal would not interfere with our Crown monopoly on arms trade, that is, the only person we would be technically certifying would be The Queen. Given this freedom in the implementation, we do however advise the author to set the proposal's strength to Mild."
Queendom of Alqania
Amor vincit omnia et nos cedamus amori
Former Speaker of the Gay Regional Parliament
Represented in the WA by Ambassador Lord Raekevikinfo
and Deputy Ambassador Princess Christineinfo
Author of GA#178
Member of UNOG and the Stonewall Alliance

Ruior
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ruior » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:53 am

Tavender wrote:Your whitelist sounds like reducing economic freedoms (only these guys can trade). Your blacklist sounds like increasing them (everybody can trade, except these guys). I'm not sure that having both in the one proposal is a good idea.

The point of including both of these is to add compromise to the revolution. It allows for nations with the desire to add more regulation to do so, and those who do not to leave them be. I perceive it as more of a help to those who want more regulation without hurting those who don't.

Ruior
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ruior » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:56 am

Alqania wrote:"The Queendom appreciates the freedom given to member states in the implementation of this proposal", Lord Raekevik said approvingly. "For our part, we note that this proposal would not interfere with our Crown monopoly on arms trade, that is, the only person we would be technically certifying would be The Queen. Given this freedom in the implementation, we do however advise the author to set the proposal's strength to Mild."

I appreciate your approval of this proposal and for the next version I will adjust it to mild. Thank you.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly