NATION

PASSWORD

[Passed] Rainforest Protection Act

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

United Federation of Canada
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby United Federation of Canada » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:24 am

Tenebriso wrote: What I did say is that this resolution implies that rainforests, that are now "protected" under this act are now more important than housing and urban development.

At the risk of sounding very kumbayaish,

Aren't they? Does anyone ever stop to think of the complex, extremely fragile ecosystems that are interconnected with those rainforests? Also as those trees have no voice, shouldn't someone stand up for their rights of "I was here first, long before you"? How would you like it if a bunch of trees came in and burned down your city so they could plant themselves?

Think about it.

Auralia
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:26 am

United Federation of Canada wrote:Aren't they? Does anyone ever stop to think of the complex, extremely fragile ecosystems that are interconnected with those rainforests? Also as those trees have no voice, shouldn't someone stand up for their rights of "I was here first, long before you"? How would you like it if a bunch of trees came in and burned down your city so they could plant themselves?

Trees are not persons. They have no rights. :eyebrow:
Catholic Commonwealth of Auralia
"Amor sequitur cognitionem."

United Federation of Canada
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby United Federation of Canada » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:32 am

Auralia wrote:
United Federation of Canada wrote:Aren't they? Does anyone ever stop to think of the complex, extremely fragile ecosystems that are interconnected with those rainforests? Also as those trees have no voice, shouldn't someone stand up for their rights of "I was here first, long before you"? How would you like it if a bunch of trees came in and burned down your city so they could plant themselves?

Trees are not persons. They have no rights. :eyebrow:

Why? What makes them any less an important of a living being than a person? Were they not created by GOD :rofl: as well Auralia?

Also I am pretty sure I have seen a talking plant around here that may say different. In fact I have seen some weasels, and bears as well. I seriously doubt they enjoy their habitat being burned to the ground.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:35 am

United Federation of Canada wrote:Also I am pretty sure I have seen a talking plant around here that may say different. In fact I have seen some weasels, and bears as well. I seriously doubt they enjoy their habitat being burned to the ground.

:eyebrow:
"You think that ALL of us live out in the woods, without artificial shelter, rather than -- as many actually do -- in houses within settlements?!?"
Last edited by Bears Armed on Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Three Weasels
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Three Weasels » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:51 am

United Federation of Canada wrote:Also I am pretty sure I have seen a talking plant around here that may say different. In fact I have seen some weasels, and bears as well. I seriously doubt they enjoy their habitat being burned to the ground.

And we don't live in forests. Although our homes are built from naturally occurring materials, we are meadow-dwellers. Don't get us wrong, we love tree, it's just we live in meadows that have been civilized. No artificial material.
Last edited by Three Weasels on Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
We're a splinter nation; we believe in Meadowism. We're sapient Mustela Itatsi, distant cousins of the Mustela Erminea and the Mustela Nivalis who shunned the ways of the Meadow for their belligerent beliefs.

We're cheese-powered. So, surrender your cheese. Or else. Yeah... or else. We'll... uh... we'll do something.

Oh and meadows are totally awesome. We love meadows.

Tenebriso
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Tenebriso » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:30 am

United Federation of Canada wrote:
Tenebriso wrote: What I did say is that this resolution implies that rainforests, that are now "protected" under this act are now more important than housing and urban development.

At the risk of sounding very kumbayaish,

Aren't they? Does anyone ever stop to think of the complex, extremely fragile ecosystems that are interconnected with those rainforests? Also as those trees have no voice, shouldn't someone stand up for their rights of "I was here first, long before you"? How would you like it if a bunch of trees came in and burned down your city so they could plant themselves?

Think about it.

Um, no. We hold the needs of people to be more important than the "right" of a non-sentient plant. Our ecosystem and environment have flourished fine for hundreds of years without some committee, and I say that with the greatest degree of contempt, dictating what our policies on the matter should be.
American: Ron Paul Supporter. European: David Farage/UKIP Supporter.

NatSov proponent in the WA except in (most) cases of Civil and Human Rights.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:41 pm

Tenebriso wrote:We hold the needs of people to be more important than the "right" of a non-sentient plant.

OOC: You mean non-sapient. Most higher plants are just as sentient as higher animals are, they just communicate chemically in messages we humans are only just starting to understand, and react on a very different timescale (aside from a few exceptions, like the flytrap plants' traps).
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Tenebriso
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Tenebriso » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:33 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Tenebriso wrote:We hold the needs of people to be more important than the "right" of a non-sentient plant.

OOC: You mean non-sapient. Most higher plants are just as sentient as higher animals are, they just communicate chemically in messages we humans are only just starting to understand, and react on a very different timescale (aside from a few exceptions, like the flytrap plants' traps).

OOC: Yes, I guess I got those terms mixed up.
American: Ron Paul Supporter. European: David Farage/UKIP Supporter.

NatSov proponent in the WA except in (most) cases of Civil and Human Rights.

Capitalist Producers
Attaché

Founded: Jun 14, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Capitalist Producers » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:40 pm

There's another WA edict we will find a way to circumvent.
"It is dangerous to be right in matters about which the established authorities are wrong."
- Voltaire

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:43 pm

Capitalist Producers wrote:There's another WA edict we will find a way to circumvent.

Or you could partake the repeal drafting here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=258096
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives