NATION

PASSWORD

Kansas GOP to legalize quarantine of HIV patients

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Hong Kong and Macau
Civil Servant

Founded: Dec 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Kansas GOP to legalize quarantine of HIV patients

Postby Hong Kong and Macau » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:49 am

http://americablog.com/2013/03/aids-quarantine-kansas-hiv.html

The Kansas legislature is about to empower the state to quarantine people with HIV and AIDS. The local Fox affiliate says the legislation is expected to become law in the next few weeks.

Yes, I am aware that the blog which this article is from is biased. However as an HIV+ American I guess I too am biased.

How would such a measure be constitutional? Why don't more law-makers understand that this is a clear violation of people's civil rights? HIV is not a communicable illness. The virus is only spread by certain bodily fluids, almost none of which are shared in the public.

Why then would a quarantine be necessary? If the nature of HIV was different, ie spread by saliva, tears, toilet seats, or mucus then perhaps I could understand.

There's also an issue which nations in the game routinely receive on what's called "VODAIS"... So I see a discussion about this topic as pertinent.

DO you support the efforts by Kansas law makers to ensure a quarantine on HIV+ individuals or those afflicted by AIDS? Should there be a nationwide imposed ban?

It seems to me that yes, quarantines on communicable illnesses during outbreak pandemics or possible biological terrorist attacks may make sense or would be sound public health policy. I fail to see how this concern for public safety could be within the realm of possibility in the thinking behind this piece of legislation...
Economic calculator
Federal Republic of Hong Kong and Macau
香港和澳门联邦共和国
Xiānggǎng hé àomén liánbāng gònghéguó
A federal republic comprised of semi-autonomous Hong Kong & Macau, united by an inter-state government. A people with a shared heritage forging a common future together borne from solidarity and self determination. This new federation is venturing forth upon a new path of progress. At last free from oppression and Imperialism, these once oppressed city-states are forever liberated!
Great Seal
Capitalist: 6 | Libertarian: -4.21
Compass|Test|Nolan Chart
SELFIE

Divair
Khan of Spam

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:50 am

What in the name of fuck is this? Are we going back to the Middle Ages? (or just South Africa, where if you shag a virgin HIV will disappear?) Seriously, what in the living fuck is this nonsense. This is about as ridiculous as jailing everyone who has a cold for a month because fuck freedom and common sense, they're going to infect us all!

Choronzon
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Choronzon » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:50 am

*snort*

Yeah, good luck defending that one before a court.

Northern Skatchbrod
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Skatchbrod » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:50 am

For once a good idea from those corrupt arses.
Discipline is freedom

Left/Right: -3.4
Libertarian/Authoritarian: 8.6
Fascist, Ultra-Nationalist, Corporatist and Social Conservative.
Anti-Democrat, Anti-Communist, Anti-Racist and Anti-Capitalist.

The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:50 am

Ban Magic Johnson.

Quarantine the infidel.
Founder of the Church of Ass.

No Homo.
TET sex chat link
Neo Art wrote:
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:Ironic ain't it, now there really IS 47% of the country that feels like victims.

........fuck it, you win the internet.

Gandoor
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 23, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gandoor » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:51 am

Kansas GOP

There's your answer right there.
OOC - Call me Viola
IC Flag|Gandoor Wiki|Q&A|National Currency Database
Reminder that true left-wing politics are incompatible with imperialism, authoritarianism, totalitarianism, and dictatorship in all forms.
Flag is currently a Cinderace.
I'm transfeminine non-binary (but I don't mind or care if you refer to me as a woman).
She/They
27 years old
OOC Info
Twitter: @Sailor_Viola
Steam: Princess Viola
Mastodon: @princessviola@retro.pizza
TGs are welcome

Individuality-ness
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:51 am

I'm going to go for the shark and say maybe it's their way to make LGBT second class citizens.

Obviously, my guess is probably off.
"I should have listened to her, so hard to keep control. We kept on eating but our bloated bellies still not full."
Poetry Thread | How to Not Rape | Aspergers v. Assburgers | You Might be an Altie If... | Factbook/Extension

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:52 am

Divair wrote:What in the name of fuck is this? Are we going back to the Middle Ages?

Worse than the middle ages This is Kansas. Super man is from there and he was considered the most scandalous person from the state.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

New Chalcedon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 20, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby New Chalcedon » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:52 am

I...I....I....

Fuck "conservatives". Really. It seems that US conservatism is incapable of seeing any little thing that might drag America kicking and screaming out of the 19th century without fighting it tooth and nail. Goddamned soulless hypocritical monsters.
Fuck it all. Let the world burn - there's no way roaches could do a worse job of being decent than we have.

Divair
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:54 am

Northern Skatchbrod wrote:For once a good idea from those corrupt arses.

Might sound like a good idea if you're a hermit from the 600's who thinks making people bleed will cure them of their sins or some other fucking nonsense along those lines. This is the type of authoritarian bullshit that the Constitution is meant to protect against, but apparently the GOP doesn't give a flying fuck about common sense and logic.

Silent Majority
Minister

Founded: Jun 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Silent Majority » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:54 am

What the fuck
“It is the ultimate irony of history that radical individualism serves as the ideological justification of the unconstrained power of what the large majority of individuals experience as a vast anonymous power, which, without any democratic public control, regulates their lives.”
― Slavoj Žižek

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:55 am

This can't possibly hold up longer than a week.
Any sane Judge will overturn it immediately, or at the very least kick it upstairs to a higher court.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Northern Skatchbrod
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Skatchbrod » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:55 am

Divair wrote:

Might sound like a good idea if you're a hermit from the 600's who thinks making people bleed will cure them of their sins or some other fucking nonsense along those lines. This is the type of authoritarian bullshit that the Constitution is meant to protect against, but apparently the GOP doesn't give a flying fuck about common sense and logic.

It's much easier to cure HIV if they are all put in the same place, and it would also reduce spread of the disease. I don't know what the GOP's idea of quarantine is, but to me it would be a great way of purifying the state.
Discipline is freedom

New Chalcedon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby New Chalcedon » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:55 am

Oh, really? Really?

Because quarantining people who cannot spread the illness they carry through ordinary contact is such a sensible solution, you [redacted].
Fuck it all. Let the world burn - there's no way roaches could do a worse job of being decent than we have.

New Chalcedon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby New Chalcedon » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:57 am

Northern Skatchbrod wrote:
Divair wrote:Might sound like a good idea if you're a hermit from the 600's who thinks making people bleed will cure them of their sins or some other fucking nonsense along those lines. This is the type of authoritarian bullshit that the Constitution is meant to protect against, but apparently the GOP doesn't give a flying fuck about common sense and logic.

It's much easier to cure HIV if they are all put in the same place, and it would also reduce spread of the disease. I don't know what the GOP's idea of quarantine is, but to me it would be a great way of purifying the state.

Now it's about "purification", huh?

You're talking like someone from "Stormfront".

Gandoor
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 23, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gandoor » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:58 am

That fact that people like you exist is disgusting.
OOC - Call me Viola
IC Flag|Gandoor Wiki|Q&A|National Currency Database
Reminder that true left-wing politics are incompatible with imperialism, authoritarianism, totalitarianism, and dictatorship in all forms.
Flag is currently a Cinderace.
I'm transfeminine non-binary (but I don't mind or care if you refer to me as a woman).
She/They
27 years old
OOC Info
Twitter: @Sailor_Viola
Steam: Princess Viola
Mastodon: @princessviola@retro.pizza
TGs are welcome

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:58 am

Divair wrote:Might sound like a good idea if you're a hermit from the 600's who thinks making people bleed will cure them of their sins or some other fucking nonsense along those lines. This is the type of authoritarian bullshit that the Constitution is meant to protect against, but apparently the GOP doesn't give a flying fuck about common sense and logic.

In the event of a universal cure, physically transporting people and quarantining them someplace is much, much harder than delivering the cure to them.
It wouldn't be easier.

Also, HIV doesn't spread just from letting HIV patients wander around. The vast, VAST majority of cases are undiagnosed spreads.
Someone diagnosed with HIV isn't likely to spread it at all, since they take precautions. And if they do spread it, that's reckless endangerment and we quarantine them in a place called prison (some times.)
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Northern Skatchbrod
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Skatchbrod » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:58 am

New Chalcedon wrote:
Northern Skatchbrod wrote:It's much easier to cure HIV if they are all put in the same place, and it would also reduce spread of the disease. I don't know what the GOP's idea of quarantine is, but to me it would be a great way of purifying the state.

It is.
I've been there for some time, but I don't like racists. IronMarch is much better.
Discipline is freedom

Hong Kong and Macau
Civil Servant

Founded: Dec 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Hong Kong and Macau » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:58 am

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ahf-kansas-law-allowing-quarantine-232700513.html

A little more objective source.

Seriously though, this type of legislation isn't about protecting people from contracting HIV, it's an attempt to demonize people who don't match up with the Neo-conservative religious Juedo-christian worldview.

Believe me, if I could make it so that not another person contracts HIV like me, then I wouldn't think twice at enacting such a policy...this isn't it though!

Guess what stops the spread of HIV?

Condoms, education, testing, anti-retroviral post exposure meds... Not quarantines and not abstinence indoctrination!
Economic calculator
Federal Republic of Hong Kong and Macau
香港和澳门联邦共和国
Xiānggǎng hé àomén liánbāng gònghéguó
A federal republic comprised of semi-autonomous Hong Kong & Macau, united by an inter-state government. A people with a shared heritage forging a common future together borne from solidarity and self determination. This new federation is venturing forth upon a new path of progress. At last free from oppression and Imperialism, these once oppressed city-states are forever liberated!
Great Seal
Capitalist: 6 | Libertarian: -4.21
Compass|Test|Nolan Chart
SELFIE

Divair
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:59 am

Your 1940's-esque idea of "purification" can go suck a cock. I don't care about "purification" nor about herding up people as if we're going to commit the 2nd Holocaust, only on HIV victims instead of mentally retarded folk. You can go suggest it in some fucked up cesspool like North Korea, perhaps, but not in any 1st world country where we give a fuck about rights and freedom, something that you've clearly taken for granted.

Individuality-ness
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:59 am

New Chalcedon wrote:
Northern Skatchbrod wrote:It's much easier to cure HIV if they are all put in the same place, and it would also reduce spread of the disease. I don't know what the GOP's idea of quarantine is, but to me it would be a great way of purifying the state.

Is HIV the latest persucuted class by white supremicists?
"I should have listened to her, so hard to keep control. We kept on eating but our bloated bellies still not full."
Poetry Thread | How to Not Rape | Aspergers v. Assburgers | You Might be an Altie If... | Factbook/Extension

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:59 am

I'm betting these people think HIV = The Gay
and think they are quarantining gay people.
Ostro.MOV

Dusk_Kittens
Ambassador

Founded: May 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dusk_Kittens » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:00 am

New Chalcedon wrote:I...I....I....

Fuck "conservatives". Really. It seems that US conservatism is incapable of seeing any little thing that might drag America kicking and screaming out of the 19th century without fighting it tooth and nail. Goddamned soulless hypocritical monsters.

I believe that you are correct in this assessment.
Her Divine Grace,
the Sovereign Principessa Luna,
Ulata-Druidessâ Teutâs di Genovâs,
Ardua-Druidessâ of Dusk Kittens

The Tribal Confederacy of Dusk_Kittens
(a Factbook in progress)
~ Stairsneach ~

My Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.72
(Left Libertarian)

My C4SS Ratings
58% Economic Leftist
63% Anarchist
79% Anti-Militarist
67% Socio-Cultural Liberal
80% Civil Libertarian

"... perché lo universale degli uomini
si pascono così di quel che pare come di quello che è:
anzi, molte volte si muovono
più per le cose che paiono che per quelle che sono."
-- Niccolò Machiavelli,
Discorsi sopra la prima deca di Tito Livio,
Libro Primo, Capitolo 25.

Forster Keys
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Forster Keys » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:00 am

I shall put it plain and simple. These type of people must be stopped. And they will be. I just hope for the sake of all of us that they begin to see a little more reason sooner rather than later.
The blue sky above beckons us to take our freedom, to paint our path across its vastness. Across a million blades of grass, through the roars of our elation and a thousand thundering hooves, we begin our reply.

TaQud
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby TaQud » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:00 am

I'm Surprised Thafoo didn't report this first... (unless he is busy) :unsure:
CENTRIST Economic Left/Right: 0.62 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.46
List Your Sexuality, nickname(s), NSG Family and Friends, your NS Boyfriend or Girlfriend, gender, favorite quotes and anything else that shows your ego here.
(Because I couldn't live without knowing who was part of NSG Family or what your nickname was. I was panicking for days! I couldn't eat, I couldn't sleep I was so worried that I'd would never know and have to live without knowing this! /sarcasm)
2013 Best signature Award

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General