NATION

PASSWORD

Does unemployment insurance (UI) incentivise unemployment?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Obamacult
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Obamacult » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:29 pm

Khadgar wrote:
Caninope wrote:I don't see anything but a lot of unsolicited opinions unsupported by evidence and data that is only vaguely relevant to the topic at hand, all built on top of implied ad hominems and strawmen.

I like the one that posits that the wage decline is damaging Obama's reelection chances.

Unfortunately, progressive dogma has completely captured the pop culture and main stream media and with it the hearts and minds of minority, women and young voters .

Hence, these faithful unquestioning adherents to a failed ideological system will continue to fawn over snake oil salesmen like Obama et al. until the cruel effects of economic reality rears its ugly head as it is beginning to do with the following:

record debt increases,
anemic growth rate,
wage stagnation,
increased income inequality,
long term unemployment at decade high levels,
poverty at decade high levels,
food stamps at record levels,
welfare recipients at record levels,
surging education costs,
surging energy costs,
surging food costs,
high wage jobs replaced with low wage jobs,
increase in Americans rejecting citizenship,
local and state govt. cutting jobs and services,
Last edited by Obamacult on Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neo Art
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 09, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Art » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:31 pm

Khadgar wrote:
Caninope wrote:I don't see anything but a lot of unsolicited opinions unsupported by evidence and data that is only vaguely relevant to the topic at hand, all built on top of implied ad hominems and strawmen.

I like the one that posits that the wage decline is damaging Obama's reelection chances.

I think Dole is really going to give Bill a run for his money this year.
if you were Batman you'd be home by now

"Consistency is a matter we are attempting to remedy." - Dread Lady Nathinaca

WSN7B
Secretary

Founded: Sep 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby WSN7B » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:04 pm

I'm a pretty lazy dude. Singapore is the 3rd richest country in the world and here are a few of their statistics IRT taxes and unemployment as well as UI and unemployment compensation.

Unemployment rates

Taxes

UI/UC/whatever

The last link on UI is rather long. In short: The government doesn't pay much out, if that. Granted, the state does influence the media heavily, and all of the above is based on state supplied statistics... But they are the state supplied statistics of the 3rd richest country in the world.

As an American student, who works 30 hours a week to support my full time college habit, I spent the last 5 years getting a trade and saving so I could be employed well enough to go to school and live comfortably off 30 hours a week without loans. I am entitled to collect unemployment, if I was so inclined, or so I am told. I could collect it at a rate that would match me working 20 hours a week. This would give me free time to do so much more. It would be easier still for me to take out some modest loans and live on unemployment. Many who enter the university realm for retraining do just that, or at least that is what I've observed.

Why should a full time student be able to collect UI/UC for beer money and still live off subsidized loans? There is a point where people do not make investments because there is too little gain for the cost. From a national perspective I believe that 26 weeks of unemployment at a bit over 50% of the state average is too much unless you lost a legitimate job. All that being said, this provides an incentive *NOT* to save (if the interest rates weren't enough). Maybe unemployment should be based on how much you've saved over the years, and not how many months you were a fry cook.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:26 pm

Obamacult wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
Again just graphs, where is the paper/study which was involved?

It is called raw data from objective and substantive sources dude and predictably you don't have anything to refute it -- other than personal opinion without a shred of counter-evidence or data.

indeed, if any of the data used in the graphs are bogus -- then it should be easy to provide counter-evidence.

Bring it.

Raw data is left to interpretation. Cato who you like to show obviously will interpret it to their ends.

Just like you intpret it to yours.

All I want to see is who that data was gathered and the paper which used the charts.

But, spin away as you seem to like to do.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Obamacult
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Obamacult » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:28 pm

WSN7B wrote:I'm a pretty lazy dude. Singapore is the 3rd richest country in the world and here are a few of their statistics IRT taxes and unemployment as well as UI and unemployment compensation.

Unemployment rates

Taxes

UI/UC/whatever

The last link on UI is rather long. In short: The government doesn't pay much out, if that. Granted, the state does influence the media heavily, and all of the above is based on state supplied statistics... But they are the state supplied statistics of the 3rd richest country in the world.

As an American student, who works 30 hours a week to support my full time college habit, I spent the last 5 years getting a trade and saving so I could be employed well enough to go to school and live comfortably off 30 hours a week without loans. I am entitled to collect unemployment, if I was so inclined, or so I am told. I could collect it at a rate that would match me working 20 hours a week. This would give me free time to do so much more. It would be easier still for me to take out some modest loans and live on unemployment. Many who enter the university realm for retraining do just that, or at least that is what I've observed.

Why should a full time student be able to collect UI/UC for beer money and still live off subsidized loans? There is a point where people do not make investments because there is too little gain for the cost. From a national perspective I believe that 26 weeks of unemployment at a bit over 50% of the state average is too much unless you lost a legitimate job. All that being said, this provides an incentive *NOT* to save (if the interest rates weren't enough). Maybe unemployment should be based on how much you've saved over the years, and not how many months you were a fry cook.

Amen bro.

I will offer another personal anecdote for what it is worth.

When I went to college, I had no health insurance so I paid for a policy myself. It cost me under $1000 per year, but at the time it was a heavy burden for me. Nonetheless, when I broke my arm playing bball -- I went to the doc for an exam and xray -- in the same office was another student who didn't pay anything. NOt only did that dude get seen before me, he got free health care the same as me.

The only difference is that I was stupid enough to pay for my insurance.

In sum, this kind of shit incentivise a society of looters and cheats that otherwise would be diligent and responsible citizens who contribute into the health care system in a measured and economically disciplined manner rather than increase costs and burdens through profligate moral hazard.

I think the statistics support my personal experience.

Previous

Return to General