NATION

PASSWORD

Religion: Is it on the way out?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Normandywe
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Normandywe » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:58 am

Darwin believed that religion is an ancient tribal survival strategy; Freud believed it to be a mental illness; Hugo felt it was a trend that shall pass.
In the late 1800's, Max Weber noted that the world was being 'disenchanted' by rationalism and intellectualism--religion is an outdated opium that shall be extinguished by rational thought. One statistic I saw, formulated just recently, predicts that Christianity shall lose its position as the power of belief in the world, falling below atheism, sometime during the middle of this century. It can only be hoped that I live long enough to see the collapse of religion.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:01 am

Normandywe wrote:Darwin believed that religion is an ancient tribal survival strategy; Freud believed it to be a mental illness; Hugo felt it was a trend that shall pass.
In the late 1800's, Max Weber noted that the world was being 'disenchanted' by rationalism and intellectualism--religion is an outdated opium that shall be extinguished by rational thought. One statistic I saw, formulated just recently, predicts that Christianity shall lose its position as the power of belief in the world, falling below atheism, sometime during the middle of this century. It can only be hoped that I live long enough to see the collapse of religion.

Where would the fun be if religion collapsed?
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

The USOT
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The USOT » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:05 am

Conserative Morality wrote:
Normandywe wrote:Darwin believed that religion is an ancient tribal survival strategy; Freud believed it to be a mental illness; Hugo felt it was a trend that shall pass.

Where would the fun be if religion collapsed?

Spaaaaaaaaaace!
Eco-Friendly Green Cyborg Santa Claus

Contrary to the propaganda, we live in probably the least materialistic culture in history. If we cared about the things of the world, we would treat them quite differently. We would be concerned with their materiality. We would be interested in their beginnings and their ends, before and after they left our grasp.

Peter Timmerman, “Defending Materialism"

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:06 am

The USOT wrote:Spaaaaaaaaaace!

The Great Lord Xenu is no fun to debate; he has no sense of humor.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

The USOT
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The USOT » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:07 am

Conserative Morality wrote:
The USOT wrote:Spaaaaaaaaaace!

The Great Lord Xenu is no fun to debate; he has no sense of humor.

I dont know. He had a fair showing in South Park ;)

Contrary to the propaganda, we live in probably the least materialistic culture in history. If we cared about the things of the world, we would treat them quite differently. We would be concerned with their materiality. We would be interested in their beginnings and their ends, before and after they left our grasp.

Sulamalik
Minister

Founded: Apr 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sulamalik » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:11 pm

Insha'Allah, insha'Allah.

Edit: Because the Western intellectual narrative is the only one worth paying attention to.
Last edited by Sulamalik on Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Freiheit Reich wrote:"Economically disadvantaged and angry urban youth music."
Is that a nicer and more modern term to use?

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:19 pm

Sulamalik wrote:

Edit: Because the Western intellectual narrative is the only one worth paying attention to.

Hah! Good point.

Seriously, considering the fact that atheists and agnostics are such a minority compared to those who at least give token recognition to some sort of concept of deity (often in the face of massive evidence contradicting whatever their beliefs may be), I can only assume for now that the need to believe is a near-constant for humanity, whatever the reasons may be.

Normandywe
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Normandywe » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:37 pm

Sulamalik wrote:

I see, then, that you have no actual point to be made here.
Last edited by Normandywe on Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sulamalik
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sulamalik » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:58 pm

Normandywe wrote:
Sulamalik wrote:

I'm critiquing your approach, not your conclusion.

Normandywe
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Normandywe » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:19 pm

Sulamalik wrote:
Normandywe wrote:

I see. Although I am content with both, I appreciate your input.

Czechanada
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Czechanada » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:16 pm

Sulamalik wrote:
Normandywe wrote:

Then what approach would you offer?
"You know what I was. You see what I am. Change me, change me!" - Randall Jarrell.

Sulamalik
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sulamalik » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:21 pm

Czechanada wrote:
Sulamalik wrote:

One that acknowledges that non-Europeans can think.
Last edited by Sulamalik on Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Normandywe
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Normandywe » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:43 pm

Sulamalik wrote:
Czechanada wrote:

Non-Europeans are capable of thinking, that is not being denied--it just happens that Europeans developed modern biology, sociology, neurology, and various other disciplines related to understanding humans, and it is most easy and effective to reference them.
Last edited by Normandywe on Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sulamalik
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sulamalik » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:46 pm

Normandywe wrote:
Sulamalik wrote:

Non-Europeans can think, it just happens that Europeans developed modern biology, sociology, neurology, and various other disciplines related to understanding humans, and it is most comfortable and effective to reference them.

Yes, all societies develop in a vacuum.

Moving away from my petty sarcasm, I'd be nice when your talking about religion on a global scale to, y'know, actually talk about it on a global scale.

Also, euro-centric thinking has never been a particular virtue in anthropology IIRC.
Last edited by Sulamalik on Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Normandywe
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Normandywe » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:51 pm

Sulamalik wrote:
Normandywe wrote:
Non-Europeans can think, it just happens that Europeans developed modern biology, sociology, neurology, and various other disciplines related to understanding humans, and it is most comfortable and effective to reference them.

Moving away from my petty sarcasm, I'd be nice when your talking about religion on a global scale to, y'know, actually talk about it on a global scale.

Also, euro-centric thinking has never been a particular virtue in anthropology IIRC.

If I knew of significant developments in such fields by non-Europeans, I would be just as keen to speak of them, and your sarcasm was unnecessary for it holds no value.
It is stunning that this somehow evades you even now, as I never deliberately intended to reference only Europeans.

Interestingly enough, the field of anthropology itself has been most well developed by Europeans.
>Franz Boas
Last edited by Normandywe on Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Xathranaar
Minister

Founded: Jul 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Xathranaar » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:53 pm

The USOT wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:Where would the fun be if religion collapsed?

Spaaaaaaaaaace!

My views summarized.
The Gospel According to Queen.
It is possible that some of my posts may not be completely serious.

Sulamalik
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sulamalik » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:55 pm

Normandywe wrote:
Sulamalik wrote:

If I knew of significant developments in such fields by non-Europeans, I would be just as keen to speak of them, and your sarcasm was unnecessary for it holds no value.

Just looking at religions, their growth and decline, beyond the artificial boundaries of Europe would be super awesome.
Last edited by Sulamalik on Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Normandywe
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Normandywe » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:56 pm

Sulamalik wrote:
Normandywe wrote:

Just looking at religion beyond the artificial boundaries of Europe would be super awesome.

That was never my point to begin with, and it's odd that you should think that way.

The USOT
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The USOT » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:57 pm

Sulamalik wrote:
Normandywe wrote:

Just looking at religions, their growth and decline, beyond the artificial boundaries of Europe would be super awesome.

Ok. Religions from the rest of the world also suck! Equality everyone! :p

Sulamalik
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sulamalik » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:00 pm

The USOT wrote:
Sulamalik wrote:

Ok. Religions from the rest of the world also suck! Equality everyone! :p

Thank you, we like to get shout outs every now and again :D
Last edited by Sulamalik on Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The USOT
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The USOT » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:02 pm

Sulamalik wrote:
The USOT wrote:Ok. Religions from the rest of the world also suck! Equality everyone! :p

Back on topic, I was under the impression that atheism is becoming more common globaly (whilst of course more so in the west, there are significant yet supressed atheist movements in the middle east).

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:05 pm

The USOT wrote:
Sulamalik wrote:

Back on topic, I was under the impression that atheism is becoming more common globaly (whilst of course more so in the west, there are significant yet supressed atheist movements in the middle east).

The Atheist European Union should build a wall on the eastern Turkish border to keep the evil Mus..........and WOW now I feel like one of the Religious Right pundits.
Last edited by Genivaria on Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sulamalik
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sulamalik » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:07 pm

Normandywe wrote:
Sulamalik wrote:
Just looking at religion beyond the artificial boundaries of Europe would be super awesome.

That was never my point to begin with, and it's odd that you should think that way.

I'm pretty sure you're point was saying how religion( I assume not just Christianity) was on the decline.

All I was trying to get across was that some evidence for that goes beyond Europe would be cool.
Last edited by Sulamalik on Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Normandywe
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Normandywe » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:12 pm

The USOT wrote:
Sulamalik wrote:

Naturally, of course, disbelief in a deity is very popular in East Asian countries (China, Mongolia, Japan, Korea, Vietnam).

Sulamalik
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sulamalik » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:16 pm

Normandywe wrote:
The USOT wrote:Back on topic, I was under the impression that atheism is becoming more common globaly (whilst of course more so in the west, there are significant yet supressed atheist movements in the middle east).

Naturally, of course, disbelief in a deity is very popular in East Asian countries (China, Mongolia, Japan, Korea, Vietnam).

Thank you, I appreciate the inclusivity.

Now let's all ignore me and go back to the actual topic!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General