NATION

PASSWORD

A Silent Claim (FT, TG for Entry) OOC Thread

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Democratic Colonies
Envoy

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Democratic Colonies » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:55 pm

Thanks for the info, Xiscapia! While jail-breaks are fun, considering how serious the set-up is, I think the DC personnel taken prisoner by Bloodstorm are going to be staying put. At least for now.

Also, UCR, since you didn't mention removing them, I decided for everyone to still have their helmets on. The S-100 Space Survival Suit that the regular crew and officers are wearing is thin enough so that the injectors and electrodes in the handcuffs should still work. I'm not so sure about the I-101 armour the security crewmembers are wearing, but there should only be six of them aboard the Nightmare with the other six still aboard Challenger, having just surrendered in the AI core, so it's not that important for us to sort out.

United Citizens Republics
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 27, 2011

Postby United Citizens Republics » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:18 pm

Question before I start writing! Is there any feasible way to disarm the explosives? Like an EMP or something? Or is the explosion a done deal?
Factbook: See Nation Page, Click "Factbook" Button
Naval Register: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=155457

Democratic Colonies
Envoy

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Democratic Colonies » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:36 pm

I hadn't really thought about it! The set up is pretty unsophisticated and analogue, and so is probably safe from EMPs. I've been envisioning it as just small chunks of plastic explosive crammed in between various computer parts, with cables running from them to 6 or so detonators, which in turn are connected to a physical command box that is able to send out timing instructions and such.

I imagine that after Miserandino punched the 2 minute countdown into the command box, this was sent out to the detonators which are all now independently counting down from 2 minutes, as this sort of set up allows for one to reuse the command box for different demolition projects. If any of the the 6 or so detonators themselves can be found and the wires pulled out though, then no detonation command would ever reach the plastic explosives connected to those particular detonators.

If UCR Marines rush in, even after the warning from Captain Álvarez, they might be able to disable some or all of the detonators. While Álvarez kind of implied that the explosion would be serious and dangerous, the actual amounts of plastic explosive involved are rather small, and so the danger would be from shockwave and flying fragments rather than a giant, AI chamber consuming fireball. What this means is that even if only some of the detonators are disabled and let's say 20% of the AI systems are not exploded, this 20% stands a good chance of surviving the explosion of the other 80% more at least partially intact. They would still be encrypted, but as Tipton was concerned about, the RAM type short-term working memory would be only lightly encrypted and would probably be relatively easy to break in to.

I'd be perfectly okay with UCR Marines rushing in and preventing the destruction of some or all of the AI systems and memory storage, so long as their IC justification is good (Álvarez kind of implied there would be a pretty serious explosion, in my opinion).

I should say as well while we're on the topic, neither Álvarez nor Tipton have any sort of access codes that are able to directly access the AI's more heavily encrypted memory files, as access to such files requires that the AI actually be whole and operational in order for the AI to open the files and show them to you. Even if Tipton and Álvarez explained this though, Elena would only have their words on it to go on about it, and I think we know how much Tipton's word is worth at this point...

Xiscapia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Xiscapia » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:28 pm

Democratic Colonies wrote:Thanks for the info, Xiscapia! While jail-breaks are fun, considering how serious the set-up is, I think the DC personnel taken prisoner by Bloodstorm are going to be staying put. At least for now.

Okie dokie lokie! I'll fade into the background for the moment, which is just as well considering I'll be out of commission for a week come Saturday. Either of y'all want anything from me, just let me know here or via TG.
Xis quote of the week: Altaria Almighty: how are you not just a race of sexual predators? Like who needs power armour and gauss rifles when you have leather and whips. –Karaig
The Kitsune Empire of Xiscapia's FT Factbook (V2.5)
R.I.P. Shal - 1/17/10

Previous

Return to International Incidents