NATION

PASSWORD

Best & Worst Video Games

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Pevisopolis
Minister

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Pevisopolis » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:31 pm

This requires thought from me... Good day.

But seriously, I'd say C&C: RA2 is somewhere among my list of "Best".
Jesus God almighty man, look at that lot over there! They've spotted us!

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:48 pm

Kashindahar wrote:There is no game worse than ET.

I dunno, BMX XXX is a pretty strong contender for Shittacular Game of All Time.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

North Avayu
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby North Avayu » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:53 pm

The Parthians wrote:Worst: Spore, which is without a doubt the greatest disappointment I have ever come across when it comes to a product in my entire life. Never have I seen such potential be turned into such mediocre garbage.

Oh, how could I forget this. I really liked the idea, but the execution was far away from it. When I played it first played it, I didn't really notice, but after some time I was disappointed.

Kanabia
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 08, 2003
Ex-Nation

Postby Kanabia » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:54 pm

H N Fiddlebottoms VIII wrote:
Kanabia wrote:Neverwinter Nights 2 - Horrible patching system, boring and hackneyed plot, clunky interface, poor graphics (now, this is something i'm usually more than willing to let off the hook, but in this case, it's predecessor was more attractive in many ways) and just in general not very good. I tried to persevere with it but found myself not at all enjoying it. Capable of being great, but unfortunately not so. Probably not among the worst games ever, but certainly a disappointment.

I plaid the Hell out of the original NWN. It was all kinds of wonderful, and there was a ton of great user created content. 2 just didn't seem capable of developing the same sort of community (possibly because of the problems you mentioned, or maybe it was just released at the wrong time).
Also, they took away Timestop. Bastards. Bastards. Bastards.

Yeah, I agree. The first NWN was very good - which is probably half the reason why the second feels so much worse in comparison.

Europa Universalis 2 would be my best strategy. Lots of historical events that made me want to tear my hair out, like the giant clusterfuck in western Europe that starts with the emergence of Protestants and ends with 5 different flavors of Christianity vying for control of the world. EU3 was shiny and ok, but it took out too much history, and most of the mods that added the history back in also made the game obnoxiously complicated and random (I'm looking at you, Magna Mundi).

I agree here too. I sometimes find the time to enjoy Magna Mundi but it is rather obtuse. I'm looking forward to the revised fanmade version of EU2 though (For the Glory, I think it's called?).

Conserative Morality wrote:Simulation

Best: Noctis IV
Worst: Noctis NoVa. Damn you for making us wait so long!

Brilliant concept. Really looking forward to the next installment.
Last edited by Kanabia on Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New Ziedrich
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2006
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby New Ziedrich » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:44 pm

I really liked the Mega Man Legends series. I'll pay good money for a copy of The Misadventures of Tron Bonne with manuals and such. I'm totally serious.

Any discussion of crap games is incomplete without Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing.
Science makes everything better!
“Humanity has the stars in its future, and that future is too important to be lost under the burden of juvenile folly and ignorant superstition.”
"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred."
-Niccolo Machiavelli
In nearly every respect, the automobile peaked in the 1980s.
Your waifu loves Morshu!

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:47 pm

Astholm wrote:Caesar IV - great 3D game, although you'd probably have to use Sun VirtualBox to get it to run since it's not that Vista-compatible

Caesar IV wasn't any good it was too easy and once you had completed it that was it. I actually bought it finished it twice within 7 days and returned it disappointed and got my money back.

Caesar III was far better
You know you've made it on NSG when you have a whole thread created around what you said.
On the American/United Statesian matter "I'd suggest Americans go to their nation settings and change their nation prefix to something cooler." - The Kangaroo Republic
http://nswiki.net/index.php?title=Blouman_Empire

DBC26-Winner

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Founded: May 08, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:47 pm

New Ziedrich wrote:I really liked the Mega Man Legends series. I'll pay good money for a copy of The Misadventures of Tron Bonne with manuals and such. I'm totally serious.

Any discussion of crap games is incomplete without Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing.

*laughs* Yea, that always get chucked into the list of worst games.

Death or Life
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 31, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Death or Life » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:13 pm

I loved the original Legend of Zelda on the 64.

Neu California
Senator

Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Neu California » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:14 pm

Death or Life wrote:I loved the original Legend of Zelda on the 64.

The original Zelda was on the NES. Do you mean Ocarina of Time?
"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little"-FDR
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist"-Dom Helder Camara
"When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression"-Unknown
He/him
Aspie and proud
I'm a weak agnostic without atheistic or theistic leanings.
Endless sucker for romantic lesbian stuff

"During my research I interviewed a guy who said he was a libertarian until he did MDMA and realized that other people have feelings, and that was pretty much the best summary of libertarianism I've ever heard"

Death or Life
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 31, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Death or Life » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:17 pm

Neu California wrote:

Ah no. It's just call Legend of Zelda. I had meant the original on the 64. That systems. But I really loved Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask.

Kantria
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 06, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Kantria » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:26 pm

Death or Life wrote:
Neu California wrote:

Ah no. It's just call Legend of Zelda. I had meant the original on the 64. That systems. But I really loved Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask.

...I don't know what you're saying.
Last edited by Kantria on Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Straight, white, cis male U.S. American
Secular humanist
Social democrat
Transhumanist
Techno-utopian
Atheist (6.9)
Registered Democrat

I reserve the right to compromise, change my mind and otherwise ignore ideals in favor of pragmatic, effective solutions that benefit society. Small steps forward are still progress.

Post-Unity Terra
Minister

Founded: Oct 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Post-Unity Terra » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:27 pm

Best: Morrowind. this was the first game I actually bought with my own money and never regretted buying it. The setting is so bizarre (mushroom trees and gigantic beetle taxis? fuck yeah) and full of depth it blew my tiny little mind. The sheer amount of background material included in the game is impressive, there are masses of books and little bits of paper lying around with information ranging from some dude's shopping list to the bizarre metaphysics of Nirn you just have to hand it to the devs: they really know how to flesh out a game. The NPC's were a little flat (Oh, it's the Nerevarine!'x1,000) but the story was solid and by the end I really felt bad for everyone involved.

Jalanat
Minister

Founded: Feb 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Jalanat » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:36 am

Kantria wrote:
Death or Life wrote:
Neu California wrote:

...I don't know what you're saying.

he has the legend of zelda for the 64, it's not that hard to understand what he's saying.
My nation is not like my nation page at all, it contradicts itself, we don't EVER eat kangaroos, that's just very sad. Also vegetarianism is compulsory yet it still says it's the nation's favourite main course and all and stuff.

Kantria
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 06, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Kantria » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:42 am

Jalanat wrote:he has the legend of zelda for the 64, it's not that hard to understand what he's saying.

It was for me, otherwise I wouldn't have said anything. I didn't even know the original was released on the Nintendo 64. I thought he was talking about something different from even that.

I don't play console games. Fuckin' sue me.
Last edited by Kantria on Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Straight, white, cis male U.S. American
Secular humanist
Social democrat
Transhumanist
Techno-utopian
Atheist (6.9)
Registered Democrat

I reserve the right to compromise, change my mind and otherwise ignore ideals in favor of pragmatic, effective solutions that benefit society. Small steps forward are still progress.

Lord Tothe
Minister

Founded: Dec 19, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Lord Tothe » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:36 am

Worst game of all time: Any sports title based on professional or collegiate sports with some sort of annual tag that costs $60 now and will be worthless next year even though the new title is the same damn game with different sprites. I'm glad I never got addicted to those games - there's no way I could afford that habit.

*edit* I am reminded here of my sales program I have to use at work. It's a steaming pile of broken crap code that makes my job nigh impossible at times. The programmers and development team should be fed to fire ants.
Last edited by Lord Tothe on Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Empire of Pretantia wrote:[...] TLDR; welcome to the internet. Bicker or GTFO.
"Why is self-control, autonomy, such a threat to authority? Because the person who controls himself, who is his own master, has no need for an authority to be his master. This, then, renders authority unemployed. What is he to do if he cannot control others? To be sure, he could mind his own business. But that is a fatuous answer, for those who are satisfied to mind their own business do not aspire to become authorities." ~ Thomas Szasz

RightLeaningChristians
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby RightLeaningChristians » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:40 am

Best Game: Legend of Zelda Majoras Mask. Hands down.

Worst Game: no idea.
Emergency Alertness:
Jesus Christ!
God Damnit!
Fuck Me!

Scalietti
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scalietti » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:47 am

Best Video game The Gran Turismo series, amazing graphics and audio. Exciting gameplay, stunning simulation. Unbeatable.

Worst Video game Post Need-for-Speed Underground series. Dud gameplay, ridiculous physics, gravity defying dynamics, crap cars and tracks. Ever since the release of the sensational Hot Pursuit series and the paragon of NFS4, Need for Speed has gone backwards.
I don't have a signature.

RightLeaningChristians
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby RightLeaningChristians » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:48 am

Scalietti wrote:Best Video game The Gran Turismo series, amazing graphics and audio. Exciting gameplay, stunning simulation. Unbeatable.

Worst Video game Post Need-for-Speed Underground series. Dud gameplay, ridiculous physics, gravity defying dynamics, crap cars and tracks. Ever since the release of the sensational Hot Pursuit series and the paragon of NFS4, Need for Speed has gone backwards.

You gotta be shizzin me. Anything after 3 sux d00d.
Emergency Alertness:
Jesus Christ!
God Damnit!
Fuck Me!

Aveasta
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Aveasta » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:51 am

Best Video Game: Ocarina of Time.
Ohyes.
Political compass:
Economic Left/Right: -4.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.41

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby SaintB » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:51 am

The North German Reich wrote:Best: Hmm I quite like Battlefield bad company and Medieval 2 Total war.

Worst: Hmm..... dunno

Bad Company was an okay game, I usually describe it like this:

Imagine you're Collin Ferril. You just got the lead role in a big new action movie, upon arriving at the set you realize that your Co-Stars are Billy Crystal, Samuel L. Jackson, and Larry the Cable Guy. You are undoubtedly the true badass but you can't no matter how hard you try get out of the shadow of the clowns.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General