NATION

PASSWORD

Has the NRA lost its way?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
7 Deadly Sins
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Has the NRA lost its way?

Postby 7 Deadly Sins » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:15 pm

I know this may be a touchy subject but I've been seeing forums from all over saying that some people think that the NRA has lost it's way, has become too big, too rich, and/or too corrupt. I may not be an NRA member but want to know about your honest opinion. Has the NRA really lost its way?

DogDoo 7
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 12, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby DogDoo 7 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:16 pm

no. it's always been a front for Big Gun. It's never cared about Joe Sharpshooter.
Just ask this scientician--Troy McClure

North Stradia
Minister

Founded: Jan 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby North Stradia » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:40 pm

Yes, by campaigning against free speech. (suggesting that violent video games be banned)
I am a Feudo-capitalist, egoist, and a supporter of plutocracy.
R.I.P. Sark, the last feudalist State in the world, born 933, died 2008
Economic Left/Right: +9.89
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: +8.12
Foreign Policy Non-Interventionist/Neocon: +5.88
Cultural Liberal/Conservative: +2.90

Coccygia
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Coccygia » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:42 pm

North Stradia wrote:Yes, by campaigning against free speech. (suggesting that violent video games be banned)

Rather than requiring people who play violent video games to carry guns? I guess so... ;)
"Nobody deserves anything. You get what you get." - House
"Hope is for sissies." - House
“Qokedy qokedy dal qokedy qokedy." - The Voynich Manuscript
"We're not ordinary people - we're morons!" - Jerome Horwitz
"A book, any book, is a sacred object." - Jorge Luis Borges
"I am a survivor. I am like a cockroach, you just can't get rid of me." - Madonna

Mkuki
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Mkuki » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:46 pm

7 Deadly Sins wrote:I know this may be a touchy subject but I've been seeing forums from all over saying that some people think that the NRA has lost it's way, has become too big, too rich, and/or too corrupt. I may not be an NRA member but want to know about your honest opinion. Has the NRA really lost its way?

Considering the shift in leadership, and subsequently priorities, back in the 1980s or late 1970s I'd say they've left their original mission of gun safety far in the dust of money and cash.
Economic Left/Right: -4.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.10

Political Test (Results)
Who Do I Side With?
Vision of the Justice Party - Justice Party Platform
John Rawls wrote:In justice as fairness, the concept of right is prior to that of the good.
HAVE FUN BURNING IN HELL!

7 Deadly Sins
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby 7 Deadly Sins » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:10 am

Mkuki wrote:
7 Deadly Sins wrote:I know this may be a touchy subject but I've been seeing forums from all over saying that some people think that the NRA has lost it's way, has become too big, too rich, and/or too corrupt. I may not be an NRA member but want to know about your honest opinion. Has the NRA really lost its way?

Considering the shift in leadership, and subsequently priorities, back in the 1980s or late 1970s I'd say they've left their original mission of gun safety far in the dust of money and cash.

So it is true then, that's what I thought

Khadgar
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Khadgar » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:11 am

All my life the NRA has been nothing but a lobbying force for the gun industry, so if they've lost their way, it's not a recent thing.

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:12 am

It's kinda mixed. It promotes Guns, but not violent video games. It is mixed with it's "Freedom".
| Ⓐ | Anarchist Communist | Heideggerian Marxist | Vegetarian | Bisexual | Stirnerite | Slavic/Germanic Pagan | ᛟ |
Solntsa Roshcha --- Postmodern Poyltheist
"Christianity had brutally planted the poisoned blade in the healthy, quivering flesh of all humanity; it had goaded a cold wave
of darkness with mystically brutal fury to dim the serene and festive exultation of the dionysian spirit of our pagan ancestors."
-Renzo Novatore, Verso il Nulla Creatore

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:14 am

I don't see that many NRA sponsored safety courses offered in schools any more. I'd say yes.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:14 am

Here's what I love about humanity:

The NRA is openly arguing that the solution to rampant gun violence is to increase the number of guns, and that the reason so many students are getting shot is because there aren't enough people carrying guns in school...

...and people are asking if the NRA has lost its way.
"Until evolution happens like in pokemon I'll never accept your 'evidence'!" -Ifreann
"Well, excuuuuuuse me, feminist." -Ende

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:16 am

It's led by dumbasses.

Needs a change in leadership.

Raxion
Envoy

Founded: Jan 01, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Raxion » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:19 am

The first time I heard of the NRA was in the book Jennifer Government, so I keep imagining a military.
الله أكبر

Khadgar
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Khadgar » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:20 am

Bottle wrote:Here's what I love about humanity:

The NRA is openly arguing that the solution to rampant gun violence is to increase the number of guns, and that the reason so many students are getting shot is because there aren't enough people carrying guns in school...

I think Carlin was right about the circles just getting smaller and faster.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:31 am

I think their delaying tactis were correctly use, poeple were gunning for "Assault weapons" and extended magazines after sandyhook.

turns out Adam lanza did not use the assault weapon instead he used four hand guns with regular sized magazines.

Things like the assault weapons ban are ideas people propose when they are emotional and have not taken the time to fully gather the facts.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Khadgar
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Khadgar » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:38 am

greed and death wrote:I think their delaying tactis were correctly use, poeple were gunning for "Assault weapons" and extended magazines after sandyhook.

turns out Adam lanza did not use the assault weapon instead he used four hand guns with regular sized magazines.

Things like the assault weapons ban are ideas people propose when they are emotional and have not taken the time to fully gather the facts.

Makes a great talking point, "More people are killed by hammers than assault weapons".

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:41 am

Khadgar wrote:
greed and death wrote:I think their delaying tactis were correctly use, poeple were gunning for "Assault weapons" and extended magazines after sandyhook.

Makes a great talking point, "More people are killed by hammers than assault weapons".

Or, more people you thought were killed by assault weapons were really killed by pistols.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Vitaphone Racing
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Vitaphone Racing » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:43 am

greed and death wrote:

not sure if srs.
Parhe on my Asian-ness.
Parhe wrote:Guess what, maybe you don't know what it is like to be Asian.

ayy lmao

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:43 am

It is not the guns, but guns in the wrong hands that is the problem.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.

Rereumrari
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Rereumrari » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:43 am

The original purpose of the NRA was to defend the second amendment right to bear arms, so they definitely have not lost their way.
The political compass is a lie.

Vitaphone Racing
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vitaphone Racing » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:44 am

Big Jim P wrote:

Having guns in the right hands doesn't prevent guns getting into the wrong hands, that's why regulation is needed and that's what the NRA has consistently opposed.
Parhe on my Asian-ness.

ayy lmao

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:45 am

Regular sized magazine? Do you mean the full capacity ones, or the limited, 10 round ones?
Last edited by Big Jim P on Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hail Satan!

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:46 am

Vitaphone Racing wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:

Having guns in the right hands doesn't prevent guns getting into the wrong hands, that's why regulation is needed and that's what the NRA has consistently opposed.

Nothing prevent guns getting into the wrong hands. That is why we need more in the right hands.
Hail Satan!

Lancaster of Wessex
Senator

Founded: Feb 21, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Lancaster of Wessex » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:47 am

I'd say yes, it values people's rights to own a gun over those lives that continue to be lost by those same weapons.
Lancaster.
Duke of the Most Ancient and Noble House of Lancaster of Wessex

The Most High, Potent, and Noble Prince, Lancaster, By the Grace of God, Duke of Wessex, Protector of the Enclaved Pious Estates of The Church of Wessex, Lord of Saint Aldhelm Islands, Prince and Great Steward of Celtic Wessex, Keeper of the Great Seal of the Duchy and House of Lancaster of Wessex, Sovereign of the Most Ancient and Illustrious Order of the Gold Gryphon, etc.

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:47 am

Rereumrari wrote:The original purpose of the NRA was to defend the second amendment right to bear arms, so they definitely have not lost their way.

Honestly, it seems to me that they let their earlier focus on safety (covering the responsibility half of the right to bear arms) slip away.
Hail Satan!

Vitaphone Racing
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vitaphone Racing » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:49 am

Big Jim P wrote:
Vitaphone Racing wrote:Having guns in the right hands doesn't prevent guns getting into the wrong hands, that's why regulation is needed and that's what the NRA has consistently opposed.

Nothing prevent guns getting into the wrong hands.

I disagree. After the introduction of post-Port Arthur gun regulations in Australia, gun crime plummeted.
That is why we need more in the right hands.

So you want to minimize the death toll rather than work to reduce the risk of occurence?

The US has experienced more school shootings in the last three years than Europe, Canada, Asia and South American combined have since 2000. The US seems to be the only place in the world where such events are prolific.
Parhe on my Asian-ness.

ayy lmao

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General