NATION

PASSWORD

School Shooting in Connecticut - Multiple Fatalities

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:04 am

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Virana wrote:I'm pretty sure he was making a hyperbole for the statement "a sizeable portion of the population illegally downloads music". That was sorta implied, guys. Going smartass on someone only pisses them off.

I'm not seeing it - tracking through, the argument seems to be about felonies preventing a good background check result, or something - and the 99% thing is presented as though 99% are criminals (which, I assume, is supposed to correlate to felonies, and thus impact background checks? I'm not sure exactly where it was going).

I think it's entirely possible that - with the huge catalogues of laws 'on the books' - it is possible just about everyone is breaking a law, just about all the time - but I doubt it's downloading, and I doubt it's something that shows on background checks.

If you want to include copyright infringement (which doesn't show up, so far as my limited knowledge of the US system goes), you can actually write off everybody who has ever run an internet business ("taking orders over the internet - patent held by Yahoo).
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:36 am

Moving back on topic... Almost...

Feinstein's proposed assault weapon ban is broadly similar to a number of California's regulations (no detachable magazines over 10rds, general prohibition on SBR/SBS weapons etc. "Big scary evil black rifles" are also pretty well controlled, as California's regulations state either a fixed magazine or no pistol grip (meaning weapons like the AR and AK have to resort to things like monsterman grips, or settling for Saiga sporters over 'proper-type' AKs).

Yet in 2011, California had the highest firearm homicide rate in the Union. Whilst on a decline from 2010.
And California's gun laws, interestingly, are currently under challenge for being unconstitutionally prohibitive.
Sapphire's WA Regional Delegate.
Call me Para.
In IC, I am to be referred to as The People's Republic of Samozniy Russia
Malgrave wrote:You are secretly Vladimir Putin using this forum to promote Russian weapons and tracking down and killing those who oppose you.
^ trufax
Samozniy foreign industry will one day return...
I unfortunately don't RP.
Puppets: The Federal Republic of the Samozniy Space Corps (PMT) and The Indomitable Orthodox Empire of Imperializt Russia (PT).
Take the Furry Test today!

Jocabia
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 25, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Jocabia » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:28 am

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:Moving back on topic... Almost...

Feinstein's proposed assault weapon ban is broadly similar to a number of California's regulations (no detachable magazines over 10rds, general prohibition on SBR/SBS weapons etc. "Big scary evil black rifles" are also pretty well controlled, as California's regulations state either a fixed magazine or no pistol grip (meaning weapons like the AR and AK have to resort to things like monsterman grips, or settling for Saiga sporters over 'proper-type' AKs).

Yet in 2011, California had the highest firearm homicide rate in the Union. Whilst on a decline from 2010.
And California's gun laws, interestingly, are currently under challenge for being unconstitutionally prohibitive.

I blame the California border patrol for not limiting the number of illegal guns coming from Arizona.

Wait a minute, California doesn't have a border patrol. Maybe, just maybe, that doing it nationally is a bit different than doing it locally. Inconvenient logic, but logic none-the-less.
Sgt Toomey wrote:Come to think of it, it would make more sense to hate him for being black. At least its half true..
JJ Place wrote:Sure, the statistics are that a gun is more likely to harm a family member than a criminal

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:31 am

California does however have a police force that doesn't like bringing out-of-state weapons in-state. They don't let out-of-staters transfer 'foreign' firearms or CCW licences either.
Call me Para.
Malgrave wrote:You are secretly Vladimir Putin using this forum to promote Russian weapons and tracking down and killing those who oppose you.
^ trufax
Puppets: The Federal Republic of the Samozniy Space Corps (PMT) and The Indomitable Orthodox Empire of Imperializt Russia (PT).

Jocabia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jocabia » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:36 pm

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:California does however have a police force that doesn't like bringing out-of-state weapons in-state. They don't let out-of-staters transfer 'foreign' firearms or CCW licences either.

Which is not the same as border patrol, now is it? The goal of legislation is to limit access to firearms by criminals, but if criminals can get those same firearms with no hassle simply by driving a few hours, then that defeats the purpose, now doesn't it. A federal ban, however, would have the desired effect, because entering this country has a decent likelihood of getting you searched (exponentially higher than entering a state). And since most of the country doesn't even have a passport and lives a several day drive from the border, I think it might just be a bit higher deterrent.

More inconvenient logic for you.
Sgt Toomey wrote:Come to think of it, it would make more sense to hate him for being black. At least its half true..
JJ Place wrote:Sure, the statistics are that a gun is more likely to harm a family member than a criminal

Vitaphone Racing
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Vitaphone Racing » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:08 pm

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:Yet in 2011, California had the highest firearm homicide rate in the Union. Whilst on a decline from 2010..

Where did you get that statistic from? I have California polling a firearm homicide rate of 3.09 which is less than a quarter of the rate in DC.
Last edited by Vitaphone Racing on Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Parhe on my Asian-ness.
Parhe wrote:Guess what, maybe you don't know what it is like to be Asian.

ayy lmao

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:20 am

Jocabia wrote:
Samozaryadnyastan wrote:California does however have a police force that doesn't like bringing out-of-state weapons in-state. They don't let out-of-staters transfer 'foreign' firearms or CCW licences either.

Which is not the same as border patrol, now is it? The goal of legislation is to limit access to firearms by criminals, but if criminals can get those same firearms with no hassle simply by driving a few hours, then that defeats the purpose, now doesn't it. A federal ban, however, would have the desired effect, because entering this country has a decent likelihood of getting you searched (exponentially higher than entering a state). And since most of the country doesn't even have a passport and lives a several day drive from the border, I think it might just be a bit higher deterrent.

But... the firearms already exist in-country...
If someone is willing to go outside a ban area to acquire a firearm that is illegal in-area, then I don't think forcing them to go across the border to Mexico is going to be that great a deterrent. Especially since people already do it.
Vitaphone Racing wrote:
Samozaryadnyastan wrote:Yet in 2011, California had the highest firearm homicide rate in the Union. Whilst on a decline from 2010..

Where did you get that statistic from? I have California polling a firearm homicide rate of 3.09 which is less than a quarter of the rate in DC.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog ... e-us-state
I fudged my years, highest rate in 2010, declining by 3% from the previous year.

I don't even know, the url says 10th Jan 2011, but the article was supposedly posted December 2012.
So it must be highest rate in the union in 2011, declining 3% from 2010.
Last edited by Samozaryadnyastan on Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Call me Para.
^ trufax

The UK in Exile
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby The UK in Exile » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:47 am

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:
Jocabia wrote:Which is not the same as border patrol, now is it? The goal of legislation is to limit access to firearms by criminals, but if criminals can get those same firearms with no hassle simply by driving a few hours, then that defeats the purpose, now doesn't it. A federal ban, however, would have the desired effect, because entering this country has a decent likelihood of getting you searched (exponentially higher than entering a state). And since most of the country doesn't even have a passport and lives a several day drive from the border, I think it might just be a bit higher deterrent.

If someone is willing to go outside a ban area to acquire a firearm that is illegal in-area, then I don't think forcing them to go across the border to Mexico is going to be that great a deterrent. Especially since people already do it.
Vitaphone Racing wrote:Where did you get that statistic from? I have California polling a firearm homicide rate of 3.09 which is less than a quarter of the rate in DC.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog ... e-us-state
I fudged my years, highest rate in 2010, declining by 3% from the previous year.

I don't even know, the url says 10th Jan 2011, but the article was supposedly posted December 2012.
So it must be highest rate in the union in 2011, declining 3% from 2010.

call be crazy but doesn't the guardian article show that california has the highest number of gun homicides BUT nowhere near the highest RATE?

what it in effect says is that california is a very big state with an average amount of gun crime.
Last edited by The UK in Exile on Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We fought for the public good and would have enfranchised the people and secured the welfare of the whole groaning creation, if the nation had not more delighted in servitude than in freedom"

"My actions are as noble as my thoughts, That never relish’d of a base descent.I came unto your court for honour’s cause, And not to be a rebel to her state; And he that otherwise accounts of me, This sword shall prove he’s honour’s enemy."

"Wählte Ungnade, wo Gehorsam nicht Ehre brachte."
DEFCON 0 - not at war
DEFCON 1 - at war "go to red alert!" "are you absolutely sure sir? it does mean changing the lightbulb."

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:02 pm

You're right, I did mess something up.
California still accounts for nearly an eighth of all firearm homicides in the union, however.
Call me Para.
^ trufax

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:04 pm

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:You're right, I did mess something up.
California still accounts for nearly an eighth of all firearm homicides in the union, however.

And about 11% of the US population. I'm thinking it's still about average.

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:07 pm

The Emerald Dawn wrote:
Samozaryadnyastan wrote:You're right, I did mess something up.

And about 11% of the US population. I'm thinking it's still about average.

As a rate, of course. For the sheer number, not so much.

Meanwhile, Texas has 75% the population of California and just 57% of the firearms homicides, for example.
It's average relative to the rate of the country as a whole, but not due to other factors.
Call me Para.
^ trufax

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:11 pm

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:
The Emerald Dawn wrote:And about 11% of the US population. I'm thinking it's still about average.

Meanwhile, Texas has 75% the population of California and just 57% of the firearms homicides, for example.
It's average relative to the rate of the country as a whole, but not due to other factors.

Population density and geographic location also account for those changes. Texas is not as densely populated, which means less tensions between actors. It also doesn't have features that force dense pockets of humanity.

The UK in Exile
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The UK in Exile » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:13 pm

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:
The Emerald Dawn wrote:And about 11% of the US population. I'm thinking it's still about average.

Texas' Self defence laws might play a part in that. Texas is a "stand your ground" State. a number of what might be called "murders" in california, wind up classifed as "no-case".
"We fought for the public good and would have enfranchised the people and secured the welfare of the whole groaning creation, if the nation had not more delighted in servitude than in freedom"

"My actions are as noble as my thoughts, That never relish’d of a base descent.I came unto your court for honour’s cause, And not to be a rebel to her state; And he that otherwise accounts of me, This sword shall prove he’s honour’s enemy."

DEFCON 0 - not at war
DEFCON 1 - at war "go to red alert!" "are you absolutely sure sir? it does mean changing the lightbulb."

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:13 pm

That goes along with why DC is way up there at the top for firearms deaths per 100k, when they have the highest population density in the union.
Call me Para.
^ trufax

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:16 pm

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:That goes along with why DC is way up there at the top for firearms deaths per 100k, when they have the highest population density in the union.

While a social creature, mankind prefers not being directly on top of each other unless foreplay is involved.

Jocabia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jocabia » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:36 am

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:
Jocabia wrote:Which is not the same as border patrol, now is it? The goal of legislation is to limit access to firearms by criminals, but if criminals can get those same firearms with no hassle simply by driving a few hours, then that defeats the purpose, now doesn't it. A federal ban, however, would have the desired effect, because entering this country has a decent likelihood of getting you searched (exponentially higher than entering a state). And since most of the country doesn't even have a passport and lives a several day drive from the border, I think it might just be a bit higher deterrent.

Correct, they do already exist in-country. That's what we're trying to stop.

And, going to mexico isn't going to work, since they get a lot of their firearms from us. And the firearms will be more expensive. Passing the border patrol is more difficult than not passing the border patrol. These aren't even opinions. We know this to be true. You're not even debating that it's not.

Are you claiming that it will have effect on availability? Are you claiming that buying a gun is no more difficult than traveling to Mexico, getting a gun and bringing it past border patrol and traveling back? It's exactly as difficult? Is that your claim?

Jocabia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jocabia » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:39 am

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:

http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/usa/ ... death-rate

Texas is WAY higher for firearm deaths. That's good evidence that they don't classify things as homicides the same way that California does.

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:51 am

Homicides are homicides.
Don't forget that suicides in the US make up more than half of firearm deaths on average.
Call me Para.
^ trufax

Jocabia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jocabia » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:10 am

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:...
Homicides are homicides.
Don't forget that suicides in the US make up more than half of firearm deaths on average.

If they have different laws, you have to account for the difference in those laws. Even if that is inconvenient to your point. What would qualify as a homicide in California would not necessarily be a homicide in Texas.

If you think suicides account for the difference, prove it. What I just proved is that more guns equal more gun deaths. Which is an adequate reason to limit access to guns.
Last edited by Jocabia on Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jocabia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jocabia » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:31 am

Here is the problem with your claim.

Let's say 60% of the gun deaths in Texas were suicide. That makes 4.44 the non-suicide deaths. In order for California to have a significantly larger problem with non-suicide firearm deaths, which was your claim, they would have something like 4.65/8.3. That would make roughly 45% of their firearm deaths suicides. That means that California would have a suicide by firearm rate resembling 3.65 per 100K and Texas would have a firearm suicide rate of something 6.67, nearly double that of California.

Is your argument that Texas is so messed up that despite having a population density that is one third of California's, it has a intentional firearm death rate that is only about .21 per 100K lower than California but a suicide by firearm rate that is double? And if you argue that the difference between California and Texas is even more stark, then that's an even more incredible problem because it makes a really, really great argument for gun control.

http://www.afsp.org/index.cfm?fuseactio ... 4E2FADB8EA

And according to statistics, Texas does have a higher suicide rate, it's even likely to be related to firearms, but it's not double.
Last edited by Jocabia on Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:45 am

California firearm homicide rate 3.5, Texas firearm homicide rate 2.91
1220 to 699.

57% the absolute number with 75% the absolute population. The Texan firearm homicide rate is about a sixth less than that of California.
Call me Para.
^ trufax

The UK in Exile
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The UK in Exile » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:32 pm

Homicides are homicides.

Except the Guardian article isn't homicides, its murders.

DEFCON 0 - not at war

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:46 pm

The UK in Exile wrote:
Homicides are homicides.

If the Americans make difference between 'homicides' at large and 'justifiable homicide', isn't it a suitable leap of intuition that 'homicide' and 'murder' can be used interchangeably?
Call me Para.
^ trufax

The UK in Exile
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The UK in Exile » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:02 pm

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:
The UK in Exile wrote:

If the Americans make difference between 'homicides' at large and 'justifiable homicide', isn't it a suitable leap of intuition that 'homicide' and 'murder' can be used interchangeably?

well then Homicide isn't Homicide. it'll vary from state to state.
Last edited by The UK in Exile on Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DEFCON 0 - not at war

Jocabia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jocabia » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:42 pm

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:California firearm homicide rate 3.5, Texas firearm homicide rate 2.91
1220 to 699.

57% the absolute number with 75% the absolute population. The Texan firearm homicide rate is about a sixth less than that of California.

I know you want to keep ignoring this, but they have different rules for what qualifies as a homicide. We've already pointed this out. It's not complicated. In Texas I can kill someone and walk away like nothing happened where if I did the EXACT same thing in California it would be considered a homicide.

Now, here is the part where you repeat yourself a third time and pretend like there is no difference when there is.

I just proved that the only way California can have a higher non-suicide firearm death rate than Texas is if California has a firearms suicide rate of less than half of Texas's rate. I also showed the difference in suicide rates between the two states, it doesn't even resemble half. There is a gap there. People are killing other people with guns at a higher rate in Texas. Sometimes Texas doesn't call it homicide but that doesn't change the fact.
Last edited by Jocabia on Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General