NATION

PASSWORD

Like A Falling Star {Issue 252}

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]
Zwangzug
Issues Editor

Founded: Oct 19, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Like A Falling Star {Issue 252}

Postby Zwangzug » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:30 pm

Clunvers was unremarkable as suburbs go. Unlike Sestview, it had no zoo. The kids played baseball, by and large--young Rudy liked football more--and they did well on the NWRT and the Anaro standardized tests. There were Lutherans and skeptics and plenty in between. There were old-timers, a few even who had fled the capital back during the unfortunate pre-Consolidation days. There were newcomers--there was Jordan, hobbling slowly, a refugee from Maxtopia.

It seemed to have a bright future. Metaphorically speaking. And literally, too--a first-ring suburb, it could not avoid the light pollution from Zwischen, spilling over. By night the galaxy was faint, though stars--asterisms mostly and not full constellations--came into view.

The night was clear, few clouds to speak of. The air was clear, strict environmental laws limiting pollution. The citizens of Clunvers tended to lean towards the Liberal Conservatives, paranoid about their planet's future but stoic in their resolve to defend it. Then there were the Libertarians, disaffected with their bureaucratic neighbors. And--a very few, but loud when they wanted to be--Pragmatic Radicals, proud of their country and ready for a brighter future for it.

The day before had been another quiet day in Clunvers. The temperature had dropped quickly after a long summer and the residents slowly put on other layers, the LibCons among them relieved that it wouldn't stay warm forever.

What were the scientists doing? Trying to look towards the future, hypothesizing? Out at 102d Polyteknik they were waiting on data from a collaboration with the University of 102d, sharing a supercomputer to compute...something. Closer to Anaro was the Glune Institute of Natural Sciences, whose theoretical chemistry professors were embroiled in a fight with some advocates concerned about the potential drug applications of their research. (Said advocates continually overestimated the practicality of GIONS professors.)

And in distant Spenson, at the Stoal Institute of Science, the astronomers were there, were paying attention.

But not to anything nearby. They were listening to deeper space, echoes far too deep to touch Zwangzug. After the debacle that was the space race, they told themselves, there was no use for them to care about anything close to home.

The local train moved slowly between streets, perhaps a mile at a time. Laura permitted herself a smile as she looked out the window. No, Clunvers was not that stunning a suburb, but it fooled an exchange student or two every now and then. With so many trains packed in so dense a space, so many tall buildings housing dozens of people, they were convinced that it had to be the big city.

It wasn't. Once you saw the empty streets, the lack of cars, you got used to the mesh of trains. Once you really apprehended the scale of the country, the thousands upon thousands crowded together didn't seem that numerous. Oh, they were significant, significant in the way anyone is significant--Laura, there, one hand on the train pole because all the seats were full, one hanging loosely at her side for no other reason than to proclaim her skillful balance, ID card in her pocket, shoelaces untied because her shoelaces never stayed tied, cap with a blackboard bold Z proclaiming her loyalty to the Zwangzug Zebras in spite of their recent (was it recent? the scheduling of international sports was always a mystery) group stage failures at the World Baseball classic, long-sleeved shirt a bright blue, pants perhaps casual by other countries' standards but ignored by blunt employers who looked past her, or within her, not caring for externalities, socks mismatched, underwear utilitarian--but several thousand times over. But not numerous, people thought.

She looked out at the sky, not directly into the sun of course because she was a follower of rules. But there, something in the sky, something irregular and strange and growing. It grew and grew out the window, then fell out of her field of view, then the crash of noise--

The train pulled into its next stop, and stayed there. Laura wrapped her other arm around the pole.

Evan was not a suicidal teenager. Certainly not. He was not lovesick or physically sick or murderous or one for making pacts. He was not about to do anything rash. Evan was not an adolescent for action.

And suicide was drastic. It had consequences. Not just for himself, if he went down that path--which he wasn't going to--but for his hypothetical survivors. His family, who loved him unconditionally. His teachers, his classmates. They might feel guilty. Evan didn't want them to feel guilty.

Evan really, really, didn't like guilt.

There would be others, too. People he would never meet in any event. The people like him. People between the ages of thirteen and nineteen or eighteen or wherever the demographers made their cutoffs, people susceptible to x or y or z. If he killed himself--not like he would--he'd become another statistic. Another data point for well-meaning counselors to say "look, you'd better not carry on down that track because you could wind up like this, look how many people have already." They'd pressure the other kids to change, take drugs, go to therapy, do something that then they'd just turn around and stigmatize. No escape. No way to win.

He wouldn't make things worse for them. He'd survive, somehow. Never mind how useless he felt, how hopeless it got. He'd keep going. He'd been doing it for years.

And there were good days too, exciting moments, reasons to hope. Friday had, briefly, held promise. There was something in the sky, something drawing near. He turned, quickening his step, telling himself the day would be a good day. He could find it, keep a sliver and give some to science to investigate.

Turning around didn't really make a difference.

He took a few more steps and it fell closer, grew larger, and only then did he see the fire. Evan hesitated, then took another step. It'd burn itself out, or if it didn't, he'd walk away.

The fire reached the ground--no, roofs and telephone poles first--and kept going. Evan turned and ran, hissing ragged prayers along the way. My family--where are they--which direction--let them be all right, or Forgive me, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm always--he didn't bother asking for protection for his own self, yet he ran. Thin distinctions.

By the time the flame was lapping at his heels, perhaps moments only, he had passed caring. Maybe it would be easier, without family to mourn for him--he couldn't escape being a statistic but at least there would be no guilt left. Besides, he thought, as the flame caught up with him, it was sort of cool. He would feel it all this way--life wouldn't just pass him by without an explanation.

There was pain, yes, but mostly a warmth worth seeking. It came from behind, rising back towards the sky where it belonged, and brought him along. Evan breathed again, let his eyes close, and felt free.

No one asked Jordan what he thought. Not that he was hoping for them to, not that he had anything worth saying.

But "Big Max"? Where had they gotten that idea? It was a meteorite.

Meteorites didn't discriminate. They didn't do much in the way of talking, really, didn't bother to ask whether you were young or old, woman or man, Lilliputian or Maxtopian. Even the newspaper guys (it was mostly newspaper--radio wasn't the same these days, but that's another story) didn't ask him where he'd fled from. They just did their research.

What was there to say about Clunvers? It was in the shadow of the capital, maybe that was all there was to it. Easier to talk about him, tell the story of his life. He was a survivor, not by any great skill or brutal willpower, just by virtue of being in the right place at the right time. When the war with Outer Bigtopia had broken out he'd been recovering from a broken leg. When the meteorite hit he'd been up on the tenth floor on the other side of the suburb. Yes, he went there every few weeks to get lunch. No, he hadn't seen it before. No, he wasn't sure where he was going to live now. His daughter, maybe, out in Glune. Perhaps.

People liked survivors. Everyone did, even if it hadn't been through any brilliance on his part. They were easier to interview than victims. And Zwangzug--well, he wasn't sure whether all the interviewers were from Zwangzug or not. Maybe some of them were foreigners, voyeurs for disaster. Most of his compatriots didn't want to mourn, just bury the dead, rebuild the houses, don't forget to dig up the fragments for science--and move on.

"Big Max." Really. Maybe, Jordan told himself, maybe it wasn't Max as in Maxtopia. Maybe it was just max as in maximum. It was big. Very big.

Maybe it couldn't have been any worse. Maybe, just maybe, things could only get better.

Though that still left the question; now what?
Factbook
IRC humor, (self-referential)
My issues
...using the lens of athletics to illustrate national culture, provide humor, interweave international affairs, and even incorporate mathematical theory...
WARNING: by construing meaning from this sequence of symbols, you have given implicit consent to the theory that words have noncircular semantic value and can be used to encode information about an external universe. Proceed with caution.

Zwangzug
Issues Editor

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Zwangzug » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:51 pm

There was, of course, the matter of Parliament to consider.

"We can't let a little old boulder get the best of us!" bellowed Wil Janssen, another one of the Consolidators and quite well-built despite his age. "We have to fight back! Show 'em what we're made of! With a little funding, we could develop some terrific new weapons for the next bit of flying rock that dares to threaten us! Blow it to smithereens! If ever there was a time to prepare for space warfare, it is now!"

"Do I want to know who "we" are?" muttered Representative Infamy, who matched Janssen for girth.

"Probably not," Representative Whaley muttered in kind.

"Maybe," said Representative Tosla, "it would be helpful for a subcommittee to deal with ex-Consolidators who keep interrupting important parliamentary meetings. So the honorable representative from Parmel doesn't need to keep gently leading them out of the chambers."

"You're proposing a military department," said Representative Paxtoly flatly. Gasps were had.

"I am not!" Tosla rebutted. "It would be, ah, a Department of..."Veterans' Affairs.""

"Are veterans not citizens?" inquired Secretary Mollers, who was coincidentally the Secretary of Citizens' Affairs.

"On this form I'd be up for disenfranchising them," muttered Representative Infamy, who after earning a glare from one of the minority whips asked the clerk to note that he was speaking in a tone of mirth.

"That's all well and good," interjected Professor Randy al-Zahawi, leading scientist at the Zwangzug Meteorological Office. "Except that the chances of a fall of this magnitude occurring twice in the same area are miniscule at worst. I propose you direct your funding to the real issue here - rebuilding the homes and properties that have been lost, and tending to the injured and traumatised. As soon as we've removed what's left of Big Max for studying, you can make a start."

"There's enough left of the meteorite to study?" said Secretary Bartel. No nicknames for him.

There was.

"When you say "Meteor"ological office?" said Representative Salmier.

"It's just a coincidence," said Professor al-Zahawi, moments before Representative Sitteidoy said essentially the same thing.

"What do you mean miniscule?" challenged Representative Whaley.

"I mean vanishingly small. The world is a large place. Most meteorites are much smaller than that. It won't be an issue again."

"I want this on record," she nodded to the clerk, "and I want a written report of your calculations on my desk before you leave the building. Leave it with my intern."

"Remove the greatest phenomenon Zwangzug has ever seen?!" cried Jazz Trax, the famous museum tycoon. "Surely you can envisage the profit that could be had here? We should be opening the site for tourists! Think of the possibilities - guided tours, gift shops, theme parks! You don't want to build on top of all that potential, do you? Besides, the old residents are all dead now anyway! I'm sure this is what they would have wanted."

"There's something to be said for this approach," said Representative Chisca. "We don't want to dwell on the negative aspects of it, we could turn this into a positive."

"Plus, think of all the plane wrecks tourists come to visit," said Representative Hamonoly. "Sure, our citizens don't like thinking about death and all that, but foreigners would flock to it."

"But isn't it a proven fact that tourism does not in fact improve the economy?" challenged Reprsentative Chandrasekhar.

"Er--I mean--you're the Parliament, surely you can fudge data." There were chuckles, and dire scowls from Secretary Bakte.

Chandrasekhar's argument carried the day nonetheless. Despite Representative Whaley's skepticism, the Liberal Conservatives split over the issue, and most of them voted with Chandrasekhar for al-Zahawi's approach. The funds were issued; the rebuilding could begin.

A shadowy figure arrived at the debating chambers after the vote had already concluded, but didn't seem to mind, and just followed Representative Whaley to her office (where she grabbed al-Zahawi's report), out the door, and onward to her next destination.
Factbook
My issues
...using the lens of athletics to illustrate national culture, provide humor, interweave international affairs, and even incorporate mathematical theory...
WARNING: by construing meaning from this sequence of symbols, you have given implicit consent to the theory that words have noncircular semantic value and can be used to encode information about an external universe. Proceed with caution.

Zwangzug
Issues Editor

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Zwangzug » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:42 am

"And who's this?" asked Representative Whaley.

Felix Wainwright, the Composite Minister, nodded briefly at his guest. "My spiritual advisor."

Whaley did a double take, stepping backwards towards the door. Wainwright's office was dark as usual, the desk lamp illuminating little beyond his incessantly-placid face. "I don't believe we've had the pleasure."

"I find it's important to remind myself that our citizens take comfort and find truth in many different places."

"There's been a preacher or two at the memorial ceremony, yes. What are you doing here?"

"Reminding him," said the newcomer, "that Big Max came from the heavens."

Wainwright flicked one hand upwards. "Well, it certainly did."

"And as head of state?" Whaley said irritably. "What does that mean for you?"

"It means that, were I somewhat less scrupulous than I am..." a glance over to the advisor as his voice grew tighter, "I might bid for more power while the rest of the country is understandably distracted. This need not be the case. You will excuse us."

The advisor shuffled out the door. "Comfort wherever we take it."

"Oh, skip it," Whaley glared.

"Have a seat," Wainwright said, once they were alone.

Whaley did so, dropping the folder onto his desk as he went. "al-Zahawi's report. I can't make sense of the math, but he claims the risk to this area is minimal going forward." Wainwright began paging through, very slowly, until an impatient Whaley interrupted. "What are you doing?"

"Trying to make sense of the math." He set it down. "Party of education. Have to keep up appearances."

She clenched the sides of the chair--after all they'd been through together it was difficult to remember sometimes that they were decidedly not in the same party. "And also the party of superstition, I hear."

He spread his arms wide. "Hardly my fault you LibCons couldn't retake the Ministry..."

Of course. In retrospect they said it was her party's overaggressive secularization attempts that had soured the base and made the left even more fractured than normal. "I hardly think this is the time to be scoring political points."

"Very well. So. What are you here for?"

"al-Zahawi's competent, but naive. Think of this another way, if I'm a Lilliputian terrorist and mad at Zwangzug for whatever reason, maybe I can see them not bothering to learn where the largest cities are--just go for the capital. You follow?"

"Yes."

"But a meteorite? That's something else entirely."

"So?"

"If it's not a sign from the metaphorical as well as literal heavens--"

"It didn't hit Zwischen, though."

"The suburbs. As far as the international community is concerned this is just "a large town on the outskirts.""

"So, what, you think all of the suburbs are at equal risk?"

"So help me, I do."

He nodded. "If you really want me to seize more power, you'd be better off not alienating my closest allies along that front."

"Don't tell me some lunatic preacher is going to help us--"

"Help us? I thought there was a ring or two worth of suburbs that need the help."

"Oh, says the one who lives in Sestview."

"Who'd want to live in the capital? I hear there's bombers."

Whaley shook her head. "You know, some of the other representatives have...suspicions."

"What, that I'm sleeping with you?"

She snorted. "No. But Sitteidoy put in a bill, to just move the capital. Somewhere less dense."

"And has it reached the floor?"

"No, we're busy ignoring book censors. Not what's called for at a time like this."

"He's in the Digital Party."

"Good point, if he had its way it wouldn't matter I suppose. Oh, but Prasert said she wants to move it too."

"Siri Prasert?"

"The same."

"Formerly of the FTC?"

"City councilmember."

He shook his head. "Somewhere more dense, I take it?"

"She's more dense all right. Idiot."

Wainwright handed her the folder. "I'll take a copy of this. And then we'll take it one day at a time."

"That might not be enough."

"What else do you suggest?"

She sighed. "Go on and pray, if that's your thing after all."
Factbook
My issues

Return to NationStates