NATION

PASSWORD

Arctic ice melt "like adding 20 years of CO2 emissions"

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Neu California
Senator

Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Arctic ice melt "like adding 20 years of CO2 emissions"

Postby Neu California » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:36 pm

The BBC wrote:Loss of Arctic ice is effectively doubling mankind's contribution to global warming, ice scientist Professor Peter Wadhams has told BBC Newsnight.

White ice reflects more sunlight than open water, acting like a parasol.

Melting of white Arctic ice, currently at its lowest level in recent history, is causing more absorption.

Prof Wadhams calculates that this increased absorption of the sun's rays is "the equivalent of about 20 years of additional CO2 being added by man".

The Cambridge University expert says that the Arctic ice cap is "heading for oblivion".

In 1980, the Arctic ice in summer made up some 2% of the Earth's surface. But since then the ice has roughly halved in area, and the volume of ice has dropped to just a quarter of what it was.

"The volume of ice in the summer is only a quarter of what it was 30 years ago and that's really the prelude to this final collapse," Prof Wadhams said.

The polar ice cap acts as a giant parasol, reflecting sunlight back into the atmosphere in what is known as the albedo effect.

But white ice and snow reflect far more of the sun's energy than the open water that is replacing it as the ice melts.

Instead of being reflected away from the Earth, this energy is absorbed, and contributes to warming.

Parts of the Arctic Ocean are now as warm in summer as the North Sea is in winter, Prof Wadhams said.

UK weather effect

The melting ice could have knock-on effects in the UK. Adam Scaife, from the Met Office Hadley Centre told Newsnight it could help explain this year's miserable wet summer, by altering the course of the jet stream.

"Some studies suggest that there is increased risk of wet, low pressure summers over the UK as the ice melts."

There may be effect for our winters too: "Winter weather could become more easterly cold and snowy as the ice declines," Mr Scaife said.

Opinions vary on the date of the demise of summer sea ice. The Met Office says it is not expecting the Arctic to be completely ice-free in summer until after 2030.

Is there any doubt at this point that Global Climate Change is real and a major threat? Seriously, it's getting bad, and it's going to get worse, and we need to start damage control ASAP.

Also, check the articcle for a picture of how the ice cap compares to its 1979 to 2000 average.
"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little"-FDR
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist"-Dom Helder Camara
"When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression"-Unknown
He/him
Aspie and proud
I'm a weak agnostic without atheistic or theistic leanings.
Endless sucker for romantic lesbian stuff

"During my research I interviewed a guy who said he was a libertarian until he did MDMA and realized that other people have feelings, and that was pretty much the best summary of libertarianism I've ever heard"

The Amyclae
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Amyclae » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:44 pm

I care so much I might throw a bit of extra recycling in the right bin.
Call me Ishmael.

Zevassa
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Zevassa » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:45 pm

I don't see any evidence of this supposed 'melting ice'. Plus, ice melts all of the time -- this isn't new. The world isn't in any imminent danger as a result of our products, and our profits-I mean experts have clearly demonstrated why this so-called evidence is nothing more than sensationalism and leftist propaganda. People, don't buy into this man's lies. Buy a shiny new gizmowatog instead -- they're 30% off for the next 3 days only, we can't keep an offer this good open forever you know!

- A statement by every automobile manufacturer and factory owner ever
Female Human Rogue 1 (0/1000 exp)
Chaotic Good

HP: 6/6
Abilities: STR 9 (-1); DEX 17 (+3); CON 10 (±0); INT 15 (+2); WIS 12 (+1); CHA 11 (±0)
AC: 15 = 10 + 1 (Padded Armor) + 1 (Buckler) + 3 (DEX)
Languages: Common, Draconic, Dwarven
Feats: Combat Reflexes, Nimble Fingers

Full character sheet

Natovski
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 22, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Natovski » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:46 pm

Well, they've been saying for years that we're pretty much up shit creek anyway... may as well start burning tires and using cfcs again. :P
Add 49,999 posts

Tubbsalot
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Tubbsalot » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:46 pm

The Amyclae wrote:I care so much I might throw a bit of extra recycling in the right bin.

So much that you don't even understand what global warming is, apparently.

I'm so glad I don't live in America.
"Twats love flags." - Yootopia

Fal Dara in Shienar
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Fal Dara in Shienar » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:47 pm

This almost gave me second thoughts about walking, instead of driving, to school.
One of the great triumphs of the nineteenth century was to limit the connotation of the word "immoral" in such a way that, for practical purposes, only those were immoral who drank too much or made too copious love. Those who indulged in any or all of the other deadly sins could look down in righteous indignation on the lascivious and the gluttonous.... In the name of all lechers and boozers I most solemnly protest against the invidious distinction made to our prejudice.
—Aldous Huxley

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:49 pm

Worst of all, this warming is concentrated in the coldest climates, meaning it's a feedback loop. Less sunlight reflected means more heat, means less icepack, means less sunlight reflected...

That's not even counting that it's also threatening the permafrost, and all the vast quantities of organic matter in various stages of decomposition there. When it melts, it's a lovely methane bloom.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Galla-
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Galla- » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:50 pm

Soon Australia and the Sahara shall become fertile grasslands and plains, while the evil white men are clouded by dust and sand as Europe and North America are swallowed by desert. Inherent racism of Western science and the white man trying to keep a brother down will be destroyed by mother nature and Gaia shall nurture her true inheritors, the only ones who are capable of maintaining the balance of life in this world as is proper.
Last edited by Galla- on Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hello humans. I am Sporekin, specifically a European Umber-Brown Puffball (or more formally, Lycoperdon umbrinum). Ask me anything.
Fashiontopia wrote:Look don't come here talking bad about Americans, that will get you cussed out faster than relativity.

Besides: Most posters in this thread are Americans, and others who are non-Americans have no problems co-existing so shut that trap...

New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 6/14/11

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:50 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:That's not even counting that it's also threatening the permafrost, and all the vast quantities of organic matter in various stages of decomposition there. When it melts, it's a lovely methane bloom.

Out of curiosity, is there any way to efficiently capture the methane from the permafrost?
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:51 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:Worst of all, this warming is concentrated in the coldest climates, meaning it's a feedback loop. Less sunlight reflected means more heat, means less icepack, means less sunlight reflected...

That's not even counting that it's also threatening the permafrost, and all the vast quantities of organic matter in various stages of decomposition there. When it melts, it's a lovely methane bloom.

Methane is not only a greenhouse gas, it smells bad, too. A little something extra for doing nothing, huh?
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

New England and The Maritimes
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New England and The Maritimes » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:52 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:Worst of all, this warming is concentrated in the coldest climates, meaning it's a feedback loop. Less sunlight reflected means more heat, means less icepack, means less sunlight reflected...

Yes, and every government is in gridlock with reactionary parties blocking any and every effort to do anything about it. Lovely planet we've got.
All aboard the Love Train. Choo Choo, honeybears. I am Ininiwiyaw Rocopurr:Get in my bed, you perfect human being.
Yesterday's just a memory

Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Some people's opinions are based on rational observations, others base theirs on imaginative thinking. The reality-based community ought not to waste it's time refuting delusions.

Also, Bonobos
Formerly Brandenburg-Altmark Me.

Selsada
Envoy

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Selsada » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:52 pm

Galla- wrote:Soon Australia and the Sahara shall become fertile grasslands and plains, while the evil white men are clouded by dust and sand as Europe and North America are swallowed by desert.

Too bad that's not getting the case.
Desertification my friend, Australia is getting dryer, just like Southwestern europe, and south U.S, and many other places of the world.

Costa Alegria
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Alegria » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:53 pm

I will only be concerned when Antartica starts to melt.
I AM THE RHYMENOCEROUS!
Member of the [under new management] in the NSG Senate

If You Lot Really Must Know...
Pro: Legalisation of Marijuana, LGBT rights, freedom of speech, freedom of press, democracy yadda yadda.
Con: Nationalism, authoritariansim, totalitarianism, omnipotent controlling religious beliefs, general stupidity.
Meh: Everything else that I can't be fucked giving an opinion about.

Zevassa
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Zevassa » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:54 pm

Costa Alegria wrote:I will only be concerned when Antartica starts to melt.

That seems a little bit reactionary, don't you think?

Should the health of the one thing every single person on the planet has in common (read: the planet) not be our primary concern and deserve at least some degree of pro-active care?
Chaotic Good

Abilities: STR 9 (-1); DEX 17 (+3); CON 10 (±0); INT 15 (+2); WIS 12 (+1); CHA 11 (±0)

Full character sheet

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:54 pm

The way I see it if global warming isn't going to significantly effect the world in my lifetime there's no point in me caring. If it is going to significantly effect the world in my lifetime then these are the glory days and I'd better enjoy my wastefulness and unsustainable lifestyle while I can.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.
Desired perception: Logical, intellectual
Public perception: Neutral-positive - blunt, cold, logical, skilled at debating
Mindset: Logos

Galla-
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Galla- » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:54 pm

Selsada wrote:
Galla- wrote:Soon Australia and the Sahara shall become fertile grasslands and plains, while the evil white men are clouded by dust and sand as Europe and North America are swallowed by desert.

Too bad that's not getting the case.
Desertification my friend, Australia is getting dryer, just like Southwestern europe, and south U.S, and many other places of the world.

Yes, I just said that.

Negroes rise, and ascend to your earthy throne in the heart of Africa.

That said, global warming always seems to be "fifty years away" or "twenty years away". Kind of like nuclear fusion. Perhaps the global warming scientists are actually sekrit particle physicists seeking to construct a (so far successful) conspiracy to push fusion as the premier power source of Earth? o:
Hello humans. I am Sporekin, specifically a European Umber-Brown Puffball (or more formally, Lycoperdon umbrinum). Ask me anything.
Fashiontopia wrote:Look don't come here talking bad about Americans, that will get you cussed out faster than relativity.

Besides: Most posters in this thread are Americans, and others who are non-Americans have no problems co-existing so shut that trap...

New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 6/14/11

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:55 pm

Costa Alegria wrote:I will only be concerned when Antartica starts to melt.

I lol'd.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Zevassa
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Zevassa » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:55 pm

Des-Bal wrote:The way I see it if global warming isn't going to significantly effect the world in my lifetime there's no point in me caring. If it is going to significantly effect the world in my lifetime then these are the glory days and I'd better enjoy my wastefulness and unsustainable lifestyle while I can.

So would it be safe to label you as 'the problem'?
Chaotic Good

Full character sheet

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:55 pm

Vetalia wrote:
Trotskylvania wrote:That's not even counting that it's also threatening the permafrost, and all the vast quantities of organic matter in various stages of decomposition there. When it melts, it's a lovely methane bloom.

Out of curiosity, is there any way to efficiently capture the methane from the permafrost?

Probably not. It's just the result of frozen plant matter slowly decaying for centuries, then being shifted into overdrive once the temperature thaws. It's generally too shallow to be efficiently trapped, and it'll just bubble to the surface in the soupy mess that the permafrost becomes when it melts. Obviously, deeper deposits might start undergoing similar processes to what made coal, oil or natural gas.

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Yewhohohopia
Minister

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Yewhohohopia » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:57 pm

Paint the sahara white, problem solved.

Nobel Prize me, please.
A world of lonely men, and no love, no God.

Neu California
Senator

Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Neu California » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:58 pm

Yewhohohopia wrote:Paint the sahara white, problem solved.

Nobel Prize me, please.

White paint is as reflective as arctic ice? News to me
"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little"-FDR
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist"-Dom Helder Camara
"When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression"-Unknown
He/him
Aspie and proud
I'm a weak agnostic without atheistic or theistic leanings.
Endless sucker for romantic lesbian stuff

"During my research I interviewed a guy who said he was a libertarian until he did MDMA and realized that other people have feelings, and that was pretty much the best summary of libertarianism I've ever heard"

Zevassa
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Zevassa » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:58 pm

Yewhohohopia wrote:Paint the sahara white, problem solved.

Nobel Prize me, please.

I'm pretty sure that we've had this conversation before, lol.

What variety of paint will we be using to ensure that its heat reflectivity is adequate while also preserving the Sahara's natural life?
Chaotic Good

Full character sheet

MyAmericanDream
Secretary

Founded: Sep 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby MyAmericanDream » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:58 pm

Can we please hear some weather news that isn't global warming claptrap? Remember how many cried global warming when we had that horrible heat wave/drought? Well...

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:59 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:Probably not. It's just the result of frozen plant matter slowly decaying for centuries, then being shifted into overdrive once the temperature thaws. It's generally too shallow to be efficiently trapped, and it'll just bubble to the surface in the soupy mess that the permafrost becomes when it melts. Obviously, deeper deposits might start undergoing similar processes to what made coal, oil or natural gas.

Great. I guess all those buried mammoths will finally get revenge on us...
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:59 pm

Vetalia wrote:
Trotskylvania wrote:Probably not. It's just the result of frozen plant matter slowly decaying for centuries, then being shifted into overdrive once the temperature thaws. It's generally too shallow to be efficiently trapped, and it'll just bubble to the surface in the soupy mess that the permafrost becomes when it melts. Obviously, deeper deposits might start undergoing similar processes to what made coal, oil or natural gas.

Great. I guess all those buried mammoths will finally get revenge on us...

Time for the Sci-Fi B movie!

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General