NATION

PASSWORD

A Union of Eagles. (closed for Gehenna Tartarus)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]
Late Roman Empire
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 11, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

A Union of Eagles. (closed for Gehenna Tartarus)

Postby Late Roman Empire » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:09 am

Some time after the events of "Festival"....

The reports had all concluded the same thing. Princess Serena, first cousin to Empress Gehenna I of Tartarus, would be an ideal bride for a Roman Emperor. No record of scandals, nothing that would taint her. There was the issue of there being no public worship allowed in Tartarus, but that didn't necessarily make Serena "godless". The way that she conducted herself in the Festival conference in Mount Angel had been reported favorably back to Constantinople and the Emperor was personally impressed with what he had been told by the returning delegates, Count Marcian, Master of Offices, and the Chamberlain Mamercus, a palace eunuch.

So now, Her Imperial Highness, Princess Serena of Tartarus was his first choice. The Emperor dispatched the same eunuch, Mamercus, with a formal suit of contract for marriage to the Empress Gehenna or at least her ministers, depending on who could be reached first. He naturally wondered if the Tartarians had any notion of what was in the wind. If they did, their Ambassador had shown no signs and made no mention of it at all in his meetings with the Divine Augustus.

So they might well be in for a real shock...

To Her Imperial Majesty, Gehenna, Empress of Tartarus,

Be it known to Your Imperial Majesty this day that His Eternity, Publius Marcius Valerianus, Imperator Romanorum, Divus Augustus et Dominus Noster, also styled Imperator Caesar Valerianus Augustus, the Emperor of the Late Roman Empire, hereby formally issues this official suit for contract of marriage, namely for the hand in marriage of your noble and royal cousin, Her Imperial Highness, the Princess Serena. Should such a union be established, she shall henceforth become a full Roman citizen of the rank of nobilissimus and be awarded the title and style of Her Eternity, Serena, Imperatrice Romanorum, Diva Augusta et Domina Nostra, Empress of the Late Roman Empire.

If at all interested in accepting this proposal, Your Imperial Majesty and Her Imperial Highness should reply with due, but not excessive haste. Negotiations to seal and formulate such nuptials would proceed at a pace deemed suitable by all parties concerned in this affair.

We thank you again for your contemplation and proper reflection of our most honorable suit for your cousin's hand in marriage. Receive now the eunuch Mamercus, a Chamberlain of the Sacred Palace and the Imperial Court, who represents the Emperor and was recommended by myself as our liaison to Your Majesty.

In Hoc Signo Vinces
Rufus Lacterius Marcianus Comes et Magister Officiorum
Last edited by Late Roman Empire on Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I swear by Almighty God that I will faithfully serve and obey the Divine Augustus, as our Lord and Master, and hold him alone as my true, dread sovereign and prince. I swear that I will serve him loyally until the hour of my death, on pain of damnation to my eternal soul." - the Imperial Oath of Allegiance (administered to the civil service and armed forces)

Woe to they who demand things of the Lord of the World, for he is neither so obliged nor amused.

Gehenna Tartarus
Minister

Founded: Antiquity
Corporate Police State

Postby Gehenna Tartarus » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:10 pm

Empress Gehenna had a full morning of meetings and she had just finished with the last one, when she got up out of her chair and walked around the room, trying to bring some circulation back into her legs. Sitting for several hours tended to need her in leave of some movement and she had a few minutes before she needed to make her way to one of the formal drawing rooms in the palace for her next meeting. There were some people she preferred to meet in her office, while others were given a more relaxed setting for their talks with her and as she had no real formal business with Mamercus, so there was no reason for the stricter setting of her official office.

When Mamercus was shown into the Blue Drawing Room, fifteen minutes later, Gehenna rose from the chair she had been resting in and greeted him with a smile, indicating for him to take a seat. “Welcome to the Empire of Tartarus, Lord Chamberlain,” she said, as she once more settled into the chair that she had been using. “I trust that you had a pleasant journey.”

The Blue Drawing Room was just that a room decorated with blue wallpaper and furnishings. The furniture looked antique and the room was dominated by a settee and two chairs that matched the colour of the walls. The floor was wooden and had rugs placed in strategic spots across it. On the walls were paintings of ancestors and scenes from around the Empire dating back hundreds of years. Between the settee and chairs was a coffee table, with water in jugs and empty glasses on a silver tray.

“Would you care for some refreshments, Lord Chamberlain,” she continued as she relaxed a little into her seat, but still managing to look regal and formal. “Tea, coffee…?” She left the sentence open for him to insert his own preference.

Gehenna was a young woman, just a year younger than her twenty-three year old cousin Serena and unbeknownst to her, reason for the meeting. Her dark brown shoulder length hair was loose about her shoulders, while her deep blue eyes were focused on her guest. She was wearing a light grey suit, with a pale lilac blouse.

Once she was done with the pleasantries, she settled down to business. The Lord Chamberlain of the Late Roman Empire had not come all that way just to discuss the weather over tea with the Empress of Tartarus. When Mamercus handed her the letter, she took it from him graciously, then reached over for a paper knife that was always present on one of the nearby side tables near her chair.

She read the contents silently, taking in every word, before rereading it to make sure that she had not misread it or missed anything important. Her eyebrow rose slightly, as she closed the letter and placed it on her knee.

“The Imperator Caesar Valerianus Augustus wishes to take my cousin, Princess Serena’s hand in marriage,” she said, more out of surprise that the letter contained such a proposal. She had not heard anything about the Emperor’s plans to find a wife nor had she had any inclination that he was even aware of Serena, the young woman had certainly never mentioned anything to her about meeting the Emperor, either before or after he took the title. “I will admit that this has caught me by surprise, in a nice way, I might add.”

The Empire had for centuries used marriages between its Imperial Family and those of other nations to create, strengthen or even heal relations between the two. And although the two Empires had their differences in the past, Gehenna could see that a union between the two would be well received and beneficial to both sides. She could already imagine her cousin’s reaction, it coming out of the blue like that, but all of the Imperial Family knew that it was their duty to put the Empire before their own personal happiness.

“I speak for myself, at this moment, as my cousin is unaware of the situation,” she began, picking up the letter from her lap and holding it in her fingers. “But I see no reason why I would not be willing to accept His Imperial Majesty’s suit for Princess Serena and I am almost entirely sure that she will be equally as enthusiastic to the match as I am.”
Nation name: The Empire of Tartarus
Nationality: Tartarian

Ruler: Her Imperial Majesty, Gehenna, Empress of Tartarus

Late Roman Empire
Ambassador

The Eunuch Mamercus, Lord Chamberlain.

Postby Late Roman Empire » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:57 pm

"Imperial Majesty, tea would be most acceptable. I find that it agrees more with my stomach than coffee, I fear. Especially with milk or cream. I thank Your Majesty for your hospitality," Mamercus replied to the Empress's kind offer with a proper bow.

After seating himself and availing himself of the proffered beverage, the eunuch examined the drawing room while he waited for the Empress to read and react to the formal suit for Serena's hand. There was a sense of majesty and awe here that he had only seen in two other places: the Sacred Palace in Constantinople and the Archepiscopal Palace in Mount Angel. Other locations had generally been less impressive.

Having never visited Tartarus before, the eunuch was convinced that it was wise of the Empire to have taken the hint from the failure of the one invasion they had launched against the Tartarians. That one war had been twice as costly as both of the Riemaian Wars put together. Of course, that was largely because it was a land war of attrition that had gone one pointlessly for two years.

Clearly, Tartarus was the same kind of place as the Empire, with perhaps some distinctive quirks all its own, but still made of the same kind of steel. Not the kind of country that one took lightly. Far less brazen and more reserved than Mount Angel, New Edom, Riemaia, or Shrailleen, but still more awesome than those, if a bit understated. He admired the courage of those other nations, but often thought they were a bit reckless at times. Here was a fellow regional superpower, and one of the few nations that had ever really given the Empire a run for its money. Its style was more private and enigmatic, even aloof at times, but still convincing in a quiet and cautious manner.

When Mamercus heard the Empress actually respond to the content of the letter, he smiled and rose to bow.

"I thank Your Imperial Majesty for such a pleasant and reasonable answer. This will greatly enhance our relations, which I believe have been normal and even improving upon that for some time now. The Emperor hopes to see a much closer strategic partnership between our nations in the near future. The recent New Edom crisis, incidentally, drives home the need for international co-operation between our two Empires to help achieve regional stability. With great power comes great responsibility and both of our countries are frankly the Great Powers of the region. I mean that with no disrespect toward our allies, simply stating a geopolitical fact.

"On a more personal level, the Emperor is most impressed with the conduct of Her Imperial Highness, the Princess Serena, as it was reported back to him by Count Marcian and myself. That most likely helped to clinch the deal for him, so to speak. We Romans judge far less on words and far more on actions. With your permission, I would like to schedule a formal audience for the purpose of the Emperor meeting the Princess in his sacred presence. It would be a state visit, but also a marital summit, and would of course be under the eyes of whatever chaperones you may prefer. The Emperor's intentions are strictly honorable, naturally," Mamercus responded in his most courteous and respectful tone, one typically used only in the presence of those worthy of great honor.

Evidently, the Tartarians had no shortage of common sense. The Empire was the one nation whose royal suitors would have something of an alliance of equals to offer Tartarus, and apparently the Empress was wise enough to see that. Other nations might foolishly spurn the offer for whatever reasons. He could mentally picture how the Riemaians would take such a proposal.

Yes, the Tartarians had become a serious power by being smart and knowing how to play the game of nations. Whatever their eccentricities, virtues, and vices, they were a nation which had earned the Empire's respect.....and this Empress struck him as no lightweight, despite his typically Roman reservations about female sovereigns.
"I swear by Almighty God that I will faithfully serve and obey the Divine Augustus, as our Lord and Master, and hold him alone as my true, dread sovereign and prince. I swear that I will serve him loyally until the hour of my death, on pain of damnation to my eternal soul." - the Imperial Oath of Allegiance (administered to the civil service and armed forces)

Woe to they who demand things of the Lord of the World, for he is neither so obliged nor amused.

Gehenna Tartarus
Minister

Corporate Police State

Postby Gehenna Tartarus » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:45 pm

Gehenna nodded her head in agreement as he replied to her, agreeing most earnestly with the things he had said, especially about the part of regional stability, which was one of the reasons that she had responded so quickly to the Emperor’s offer. Even though she was adverse to jumping in to other peoples’ issues, if they had little or nothing to do with the Empire, it did not mean that she did not keep a close eye on things that were troubling her neighbour and which could eventually explode in such a manner that she would have no choice but to react. The Empire did not push its nose into other peoples’ business, but that did not mean that they did not know about it and were ready to react if the time arose.

“It is indeed troubling, what has been happening in New Edom,” she said, once he had finished speaking. “And it is an indication of how quickly things can deteriorate into violence. I am most interested in improving our relations with the Late Roman Empire, which as you say, have been steadily growing more stable since our distant troubles.” She really did not like to dwell on ancient histories, which had become a favourite pastime of her father and had made him hate foreigners for all the wrong reasons. “But I know that a formal union between our two Empires will boost that stability, which will hopefully spread to the other nations that we call neighbours.”

She reached over and retrieved a glass of water, which she sipped slowly, before returning the glass to the coaster. “I will have my office contact you regarding an agreeable time for an audience between His Eternal Majesty and Princess Serena. I would be most honoured to welcome him to Tartarus,” she continued, still maintaining her genuine and warm smile. When people made requests for her time, without a reason giving in advance, she had always assumed that they had some grievance to bring up, but she had been pleasantly wrong on this occasion, in fact, she could not have imagined a more advantageous meeting, unless someone queen or empress had wanted to marry Prince Damien.

“I have to say that Prince Val and Princess Serena both spoke highly of meeting you and Count Marcian,” she added, remembering the account of the trip to Mount Angel she had received. “Their comments were very positive and they were pleased to have been able to make your acquaintances. I have also heard good things about His Eternity, but I have never had the honour of meeting him, something that I will now be able to change.”

The Empress could definitely see good things coming out of a marriage between Emperor Valerian and Serena. Out of all her cousins, if he had come to her asking for an ideal wife, she would have picked her eldest female cousin. She had a good sense of humour, but she also knew how to behave when it was needed of her and she could be stern when she needed to be. She was not flighty like Marissa or Alyssa, and she was willing to put the Empire before her designs on a new dress. And Gehenna knew that her cousin would make a perfect Empress.
“I am grateful for all His Eternity’s considerations in this matter,” she concluded, highly impressed that he was willing to do things in the traditional manner. Although Gehenna had no fear of Valerian's intentions, the fact that he was willing to meet with chaperones present just added to her growing favourable impression of him. “If any additional information is required or any special requirements are needed for his visit, please do not hesitate to let us know. I see only good things coming out of this, Lord Chamberlain, and I would be grateful if you would do me the honour of carrying a reply back to His Eternity.”

Late Roman Empire
Ambassador

The Eunuch Mamercus, Lord Chamberlain.

Postby Late Roman Empire » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:22 pm

Gehenna Tartarus wrote:Gehenna nodded her head in agreement as he replied to her, agreeing most earnestly with the things he had said, especially about the part of regional stability, which was one of the reasons that she had responded so quickly to the Emperor’s offer. Even though she was adverse to jumping in to other peoples’ issues, if they had little or nothing to do with the Empire, it did not mean that she did not keep a close eye on things that were troubling her neighbour and which could eventually explode in such a manner that she would have no choice but to react. The Empire did not push its nose into other peoples’ business, but that did not mean that they did not know about it and were ready to react if the time arose.

“It is indeed troubling, what has been happening in New Edom,” she said, once he had finished speaking. “And it is an indication of how quickly things can deteriorate into violence. I am most interested in improving our relations with the Late Roman Empire, which as you say, have been steadily growing more stable since our distant troubles.” She really did not like to dwell on ancient histories, which had become a favourite pastime of her father and had made him hate foreigners for all the wrong reasons. “But I know that a formal union between our two Empires will boost that stability, which will hopefully spread to the other nations that we call neighbours.”

She reached over and retrieved a glass of water, which she sipped slowly, before returning the glass to the coaster. “I will have my office contact you regarding an agreeable time for an audience between His Eternal Majesty and Princess Serena. I would be most honoured to welcome him to Tartarus,” she continued, still maintaining her genuine and warm smile. When people made requests for her time, without a reason giving in advance, she had always assumed that they had some grievance to bring up, but she had been pleasantly wrong on this occasion, in fact, she could not have imagined a more advantageous meeting, unless someone queen or empress had wanted to marry Prince Damien.

“I have to say that Prince Val and Princess Serena both spoke highly of meeting you and Count Marcian,” she added, remembering the account of the trip to Mount Angel she had received. “Their comments were very positive and they were pleased to have been able to make your acquaintances. I have also heard good things about His Eternity, but I have never had the honour of meeting him, something that I will now be able to change.”

The Empress could definitely see good things coming out of a marriage between Emperor Valerian and Serena. Out of all her cousins, if he had come to her asking for an ideal wife, she would have picked her eldest female cousin. She had a good sense of humour, but she also knew how to behave when it was needed of her and she could be stern when she needed to be. She was not flighty like Marissa or Alyssa, and she was willing to put the Empire before her designs on a new dress. And Gehenna knew that her cousin would make a perfect Empress.
“I am grateful for all His Eternity’s considerations in this matter,” she concluded, highly impressed that he was willing to do things in the traditional manner. Although Gehenna had no fear of Valerian's intentions, the fact that he was willing to meet with chaperones present just added to her growing favourable impression of him. “If any additional information is required or any special requirements are needed for his visit, please do not hesitate to let us know. I see only good things coming out of this, Lord Chamberlain, and I would be grateful if you would do me the honour of carrying a reply back to His Eternity.”

"I will consider the honor to be mine, Imperial Majesty. You have done a very wise thing, I truly believe. I can see now that your empire is well served with you at the helm of the ship of State. If I think of any particular issues that are relevant to the preparation of such a summit, I will most assuredly provide you with notice of the same. Or if any questions occur to me, for that matter.

"The Emperor will be most pleased to learn of this news and will no doubt look forward to forming such ties between your imperial family and the one he seeks to found for the Empire. I shall bear news of your statements and sentiments to the Divine Augustus in a most favorable manner, which will certainly please him to hear. Thank you again for your amenability on such short notice. Once the decision was final, the Emperor wanted to ensure that the window of opportunity did not escape him," the eunuch quickly replied with even more affability, yet still with the calm dignity and serenity that was part of his personal ethos.

With that, the Chamberlain bowed and then rose and walked backward out of the Empress's presence, a signal honor to anyone who knew the Romans, and one that he did only on the Emperor's explicit commands, because it was normally reserved for the Augustus himself. Then again, with this betrothal, the Empress was now in effect related by marriage to the Lord of the World and he certainly had the right to bestow whatever honors he pleased.

Not surprisingly, when the Emperor received Gehenna's reply, he felt both elated and vindicated in his choice. Clearly, the hand of Providence was at work here and the marriage would be blessed. He indeed, as mentioned by the eunuch, looked forward to such a union of blood and matrimony between the Roman and Tartarian monarchies. This kind of alliance was the new path to greatness for the Empire, not the unilateralism, fanaticism, and belligerence of the Late Cornellian Era, something best abandoned forever. This was the bright dawn of the future, not the darkness of the past.

Gehenna Tartarus
Minister

Corporate Police State

Postby Gehenna Tartarus » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:26 am

Princess Serena had been in the Ewige Verdammnis Palace all day, mostly in a meeting with the committee who were reviewing the welfare process. Not that she was an expert on such things, but it had become her pet project and she was a neutral in the process, sitting between the people who thought that it should be removed and the others who thought that more money should be handed out. She did not get to spend as much time on it as she would have liked, but when she had nothing else on her schedule, she liked to sit in on the meetings and see how things were moving along.

She had been surprised to be told that Gehenna wanted to see her once she was free. Not that she was not close with her cousin, they would often meet up when they could and just talk about things in general, but it was not that often that the Empress left word that she needed to see her, unless she had something for her to do, but even then their offices tended to just talk to each other and fit it into her schedule.

When she left the meeting room, she made her way to the Blue Drawing Room, an unusual place for the Empress to be residing, unless she had a previous event there, which was what the princess suspected. The location also meant that whatever Gehenna wanted, it was not an informal chat, because that would normally have taken place in the Empress’ suite rather in one of the formal drawing rooms on the ground floor of the palace.

She knocked the door and waited to be invited in, which was almost instantly. She walked into the room, seeing Gehenna seated in the same chair she had been using when Mamercus was there. “Your Majesty,” she said in greeting, as she walked over to the chair opposite the Empress, who indicated for her to take a seat.

Gehenna’s gaze had remained on Serena as she entered and took the seat, a warm smile on her face. “Thank you for coming, Serena,” she said, as she leant forward and handed her cousin the letter she had been given earlier. “This was hand delivered today.” She watched the princess, as she unfolded the letter and began to read. “A most interesting offer, do you not think?”

The princess’ eyes scanned the words, paused for a moment and seemed to scan over them again, as if she had misread something. “The Emperor wants to marry me?” She said finally, looking at her cousin, who merely nodded. “Me?” Gehenna nodded again. “I…”

The young Empress broke into a smile and sat slightly more upright in her chair. “He has heard good things about you,” Gehenna said, not really surprised by the princess’ reaction, especially since she had never been formally introduced to the Emperor. “The Lord Chamberlain – I believe you met him in Mount Angel – came here to deliver this letter personally. He spoke very highly of you and seemed to believe along with the Emperor, that you would make a perfect consort for him.” She paused for a moment. “And I strongly agree.”

“It just seems so…sudden,” Serena replied, rereading the letter again. “I mean, neither of the Romans even suggested that His Eternity was looking for a wife. They never gave any indication on the occasions that I spoke with them that they were even reviewing me as wife potential.”

“They, like me, believe that a marriage union between Tartarus and the Late Roman Empire can only strengthen relations between us, and with any hope, help to stabilize the region in the process.” The Empress looked at her cousin, knowing like she did that sometimes there were things bigger and more important than an individual. “I have given my consent for him to visit you and have also indicated that I strongly support a marriage between the two of you.”

Serena looked at Gehenna, not really surprised that her marriage would be for political reason rather than love. It was something that not only a royal in Tartarus was brought up to believe, but all of the nobility. “You know that I would do anything for the Empire, just as you would,” she replied, actually being one of the less selfish of Gehenna’s cousins, she genuinely meant her words. “It is just so…out of the blue. I wish I had some idea, or that we had been introduced. What if I do not live up to his expectations? He has only read about me?”

“You are perfect, Serena,” Gehenna replied, laughing lightly. “I could not think of a better person to unify our two Empires. And when the Emperor meets you in person, it will merely strengthen his opinion that you are the perfect choice.” She paused for a moment. “And on that topic, I need you to clear your schedule, as he is planning to pay a state visit and met you. I do not want you disappearing out of the Capital when he arrives.”

She looked at her cousin, who seemed both flattered and flabbergasted at the same time. “I know it is sudden, but honestly Serena, you will make a great consort for him and it will be good for you to come out of your brothers’ shadow and shine in your own light. And although the Emperor may not know you right now, once he has met you, he will instantly know that he could not have found anyone better.”

Serena exhaled a slow breath. “I will do my best to be what he is expecting me to be.”

“Just be yourself,” Gehenna advised with a smile, getting to her feet. “Are you free this evening? We can discuss this more over dinner.”

The princess also rose to her feet and nodded her head. “I would be delighted. Will Lord Daniels be present?” She asked, as the two women walked towards to door.

Late Roman Empire
Ambassador

Emperor Valerian arrives...two weeks later.

Postby Late Roman Empire » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:38 pm

As his flight to Erebus landed, the Roman Emperor Valerian II finished preparing for his conference with the Empress Gehenna and Princess Serena (especially the latter, but this was also the first time that he had ever met a Tartarian royal). The preparations had been discussed and ironed out, but still....this was it. The first ever state visit of a Roman Emperor to the Empire of Tartarus, a land that the Empire had once briefly fought to conquer (in vain, which was rare in those days).

Those days were over and Valerian was here to prove that, as well as to court Princess Serena in the old Tartarian manner. It was a deliberate gesture of respect for the host nation and its customs. Romans were pragmatists first, after all. They did what worked. While this sometimes collided with their stubbornness, the pragmatism always prevailed in the end. Valerian was also a trained diplomat, which paid off here. He knew better than to create any diplomatic incidents with a future ally.

As he stepped down from the Imperial One (the imperial flight), the Roman Emperor reflected on the fact that this meeting would change history in such a fundamental way that it would be remembered for generations. It was a turning point, part of the new "partnership" policy of the Silvanus Doctrine that Decentius and Valerian himself followed and carried out. As set down during the brief reign of Quintus Silvanus, it laid out a concrete replacement of the past aggressive policy and the transitional, "improvisation and reaction" approach of the century or so between then and now. It was the first clearly stated foreign policy doctrine since that of Cornelius I, who began the expansionist, hegemonic policy of the 15th century. It was a refreshing new policy and would make the Empire and the region far safer, after all. Most Romans now backed this change, which they knew was for the best.

Naturally, Valerian also wanted domestic happiness, but that was second to the greater good. As Emperor, he was entrusted by God as His viceroy on Earth. He had a sacred duty to bring peace and prosperity if possible, especially to the Empire itself and its home region. He was Divine Augustus and he would act the part. Unlike his ex-wife, Valerian knew that some things were worth making sacrifices of one's personal gratification. The welfare of the Empire and the region were among those things. He had obligations to his subjects. As the French would say, noblesse oblige.

Still...he hoped that Serena was indeed the kind of helpful and considerate wife who would make life with her pleasant, if not necessarily passionate. He was thirty-nine years old and a Roman Emperor. He was mature enough to grasp that sometimes love grew over time and didn't just happen at first sight. Physical pleasure mattered, sure, but so did compatibility, moderation, common sense, and a host of other factors. He was a Roman Emperor. He would do what had to be done, and pray to God that Serena would be what the Creator intended that Woman be to Man: a suitable helper, partner, and companion. At that point, Valerian crossed himself and at last landed on the tarmac.
Last edited by Late Roman Empire on Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gehenna Tartarus
Minister

Corporate Police State

Postby Gehenna Tartarus » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:51 pm

It was not very often that Empress Gehenna met people at the airport; normally she would wait for them to arrive at the Palace. Lingering around terminals, even if it was the executive suite that was used only by the Imperial Family and arriving dignitaries, was not something that the Empress really had time for, but this was a special occasion and she had made a concession to her usual habits so that she could greet Emperor Valerian II when he descended from the plane. It was a show of respect, one of the few ways that she could differentiate the importance of the guest that was arriving. And as the man aboard the aircraft that had just stopped on the tarmac was the first Roman Emperor to set foot on Tartarian soil, it was a very important moment.

And because it was such an important moment, the Tartarians were doing things in style. There was red carpet, military band, enthusiastic crowds waving Tartarian and Roman flags, and a large gathering of press. A little further behind the main event stood a high roofed, Rolls Royce, altered to allow a good view at the important people riding in the back, with bullet proof body and glass.

It was a bright sunny day and Gehenna with her party of officials - including Emma Sarie, the Secretary of Foreign Affairs, and a few lesser government people and some military personal, in all their finery – were standing under a material awning to keep the sun off of them. The party had only emerged once the plane had touched down and were in place by the time that it had finished taxiing to a stop.

The Empress was dressed in a white dress, with large yellow flowers, and a solid yellow belt and matching jacket and shoes. She had chosen the colour to ensure that she would not clash against the Emperor, if he wore purple, rather than her favourite red or green. Her dark brown hair was loose, and she had on a wide brimmed yellow hat.

When Valerian descended the stairs, Gehenna would step forward and greet him with a smile, not attempting to curtsey to someone of equal stature. “Your Eternity, welcome to the Empire of Tartarus,” she said, her deep blue eyes meeting the Emperor’s. “It is an honour to have you in our nation.” As with all good politicians and royals, she was position in such a way that the press could capture the moment for prosperity. “It is a momentous occasion for us to finally put all our histories behind us and to greet you with open arms.” Not that she was literally going to hug him, but at least she was not concealing a weapon either.

Late Roman Empire
Ambassador

Valerian Augustus et Dominus Noster

Postby Late Roman Empire » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:58 pm

By God, she pulled out all of the stops! She takes this stuff very seriously. All of the protocols observed rigorously, correctly. Very proper. Clearly, I'm dealing with one of the few heads of state in this region who is a grown-up.

After dealing with so many flaky foreign dignitaries and leaders lately, it was a refreshing change to be reminded that such zany behavior wasn't the norm, even in these crazy times. Not every foreign leader was a kook or a nutter. Someone sensible, even-keel, reasonable...mature, even. What a nice break from the crazies! A level-headed head of state. It was almost a miracle to meet one at this point, or so it seemed.

Christ and His saints, as wrong as the Cornellians were, I can see why they wanted to rule most of the region. Someone had to keep these lunatics in line, at least back then. That is not true here, though. Tartarus is ruled by saner monarchs than any others I have seen outside of the Empire.

"We thank Your Imperial Majesty for this cordial and hospitable reception. We are pleased to find a peer among sovereigns at last. We look forward to our conference with you and to our introduction to your beloved cousin, Her Imperial Highness, Princess Serena, though the latter we presume will be chaperoned. We regret never having visited here before, but we trust and hope to remedy that oversight in good time. We do in fact now regard Your Majesty and Her Highness as family from this day forward. We especially anticipate a true partnership of equals between our nations for the good of this region," Valerian mixed formality with sincerity as he had long learned to do in his capacity as a diplomat.

There were certain benefits to his training, and those included a proper attention to international protocol. The Emperor how to approach every detail. He was frankly glad to be Augustus at this point, though, as it meant not having to bow. With his recent scoliosis issues, that could be problematic.

As they headed to the Rolls Royce, the Emperor was quick to observe every proper detail of a visiting head of state, to wave and smile to everyone, pose for the press and cameras. This was the real deal at last....his first real overseas state visit since becoming Augustus. If he couldn't do this one right, no Emperor could. He was tailor-made for this part of the job.

Gehenna Tartarus
Minister

Corporate Police State

Postby Gehenna Tartarus » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:21 pm

The Empire of Tartarus had gone though many years of not making a big fuss about the arrival of foreign dignitaries, mostly because it kept its association with other nations on a low key, dealing with them but not really promoting any alliances or friendships with them. Emperor Erebus had been very sceptical about involvement with other nations, or more allowing them to get some kind of hold on the nation that would mean he would lose his grip on the as the ruler and before he knew it, he would be under the thumb of someone else. Not that there had ever been any real threat, but the longer than Erebus reigned the more suspicious he had become.

When Gehenna had taken the throne, she had not wanted to follow in her father’s footsteps and had been more willing to open the door to the international community, but as with most things, it was much easier to say than do. Her biggest success had been the Quincentennial Ball that she threw several months earlier, which had captured the attention of a few nations, including New Edom, the Dominion and Northrop-Grumman, the latter two being members of the NDA, which was one of the first major things she had joined once she had taken over the Empire.

Gehenna smiled at the kind words spoken by Valerian, noting that some of them were more poignant than might have been at first observed, but with a little knowledge of the Late Roman Empire, they were compliments indeed and ones that would be shared with very few individuals. There was also the fact that of all the nations that Valerian could have chosen to undertake his first state visit as the new Emperor he had selected Tartarus, not only for the purpose of talking with the Empress, but the more telling respect of picking a Tartarian princess for his wife. The young woman, who was walking alongside him, knew that of all the signs of wanting to create a strong bond between his empire and hers, asking for the hand of her cousin was the most poignant one of all.

“I too am looking forward to our conference,” she said, as they approached the car, the door already open for them. “We have a lot of ground to make up and things to discuss.” Once they were in the car, the door was closed behind them and the driver began their journey towards the palace. “It is indeed regrettable that it has taken us this long to finally being working towards establishing some bond between our nations, but we are taking the first step towards unifying our families and our Empires.” She paused for a moment to let her words sink in, as she did not want to overwhelm Valerian with a speech.

“My cousin, Princess Serena is waiting at the Palace to be introduced to you,” she continued, as the first parts of Erebus from the airport came into view. They were driving down a highway, so there was not much to see but trees lining the road, buildings and the road itself. “As for a chaperone, as much as I am honoured that you have agreed to allow one into your meeting, one will not be necessary. We regard you a member of our family too, and one does not need a chaperone to meet with one’s family.”

Late Roman Empire
Ambassador

Postby Late Roman Empire » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:03 am

"It is true that this was tragic and unfortunate that our nations took so long to bury the hatchet and pursue a sensible foreign policy toward each other. It was, in my view, a folly that we ever fought to begin with. We Romans must sadly take the lion's share of the blame for that, simply because we were the aggressors. Saying that openly would be political suicide, you understand. However, it is implied in our new policy toward you, a recognition that you are in fact an equal world power and not one in need of our guidance.

"Enough of recriminations, however, if you please. Let us focus on the future. We are both mature, level-headed rulers of more rational and pragmatic nations. We can both grasp the necessity of concentrating on what to do rather than what has been done. For the moment, as you may have noticed, just between us, I speak in the normal singular rather than the majestic plural. I am impressed at how you are showing me such consideration and respect. Not to mention the trust you are already placing in me. It shall be respected in all ways.

"We are family now, as we have both said. That is an excellent start toward building a working partnership between our empires. We are already part of the same family of nations and are equivalent to the older siblings, as it were. The ones who have to nudge our younger, less mature siblings firmly, but gently in the right direction, mentor and counsel them at times. It is a lessening of the weight and burden which we Romans feel, I can assure you.

"It will also help to have the right wife, a fitting consort for the Augustus. I am confident that Serena is the correct choice, based on the reports that have come back to me from my delegates to Mount Angel. She was one of the few normal and decent people present, from what they told me," Valerian responded as they rode in the Rolls Royce.

Naturally, he tried to be very careful with his words. He was a lifelong diplomat. Tact and finesse were all ingrained in him. This was his job and his habits would help him a lot here, in this now friendly country of whom he hoped to make a firm ally.

Gehenna Tartarus
Minister

Corporate Police State

Postby Gehenna Tartarus » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:16 am

“As you say, there have been enough recriminations and I am not one to dwell on something that has been relegated to history,” Gehenna said, in response to the two Empire’s dealings in the past. Tartarians had long memories, but they did not like to hold a grudge forever. Even if Valerian had not approached the Empress for her cousin’s hand in marriage, Gehenna would have found some way to bring about some kind of alliance with the Late Roman Empire, even if it was not a marital one. “It pleases me more for us to look to the future and the good that we can do working together, rather than as individuals.”

The young woman continued it the same vein as the Emperor. “It has not gone without my notice that you have paid the same amount of respect and consideration to me and the Empire, not to mention Princess Serena,” she continued, her eyes showing how much it delighted her that they were both able to deal with each other as equals. “People seem to think that it is the verbal declarations that show respect, but it is one’s behaviour and the more subtle things that speak volumes to me.” It had not gone unnoticed some of the things that Valerian had said that would not have been said to her in the past, or the way that he treated her like an equal, something the Romans were not renowned for doing.

It was easy for her to imagine them as older siblings, but at the same time, she was not entirely sure she could picture the other nations as people willing to listen or be guided. It only needed a close eye on some of the other nations to know that they would only be able to turn deaf ears and blind eyes onto any advice given. There was a reason that the Empire avoided situations like the New Edom civil war, as she could see more resistance than acceptance to suggestions.

“We are indeed family and I will admit more than a little bias towards my cousin in respect to how fitting I believe she would be for you,” Gehenna said, unable to hide her affection for her oldest female cousin. “She has been a great help and support to me, since I came to the throne. She is very loyal, understanding and supportive. She knows how to act with decorum and sensitivity. I honestly do not believe you could have found a more fitting consort.”

As the car turned through the palace gates and began the final portion of the journey up the drive towards the palace itself, she looked at Valerian, her face earnest. “You do Princess Serena and myself a huge honour in your actions.”

The car pulled to a stop and a liveried footman came to the door, opening it for the exit of the two passengers. Gehenna climbed out first and took as step aside to allow the Emperor to follow, more due to where they were sat in relation to the door then protocol. On the stairs leading to the main door, was a red carpet, leading up to the huge double doors that stood open at the top. Gehenna indicated for them to head inside.

The main entrance was only used for guests; normally the Empress was driven around to the left of the building and would enter in the door that would lead her more directly to her private apartments. The entrance hall was grand in that anyone entering there building was instantly greeted by a wide sweeping grand staircase and the painted portrait of Her Majesty gazing down upon them, from the wall where the staircase split. There were huge bannisters and large potted plants and statues, around the edge of the room, and two passages leading off to either side, one the living portion of the house, the other the offices of the palaces.

Walking to the left, Gehenna led Valerian towards one of the formal living rooms, which looked very much like a drawing room, but with even more chairs and couches, a few end tables and a large dominating fireplace, which was not lit in the height of summer and only lit for special occasions in the colder months, as most of the first floor was used for formal occasions and visits.

The room that Gehenna led them to was the Kristaucia Living Room, named after the Empress who had originally picked the decoration, the furniture and blessed the room more with her presence than any of the others. The room had a reddish theme and roses carved into the woodwork and panelling. There were portraits and paintings on the walls, but this room had a full carpet that complemented the wall colourings. Of course, when the room was furnished no expense had been spared, which could be seen in the antique furniture that was scattered around the room.

“Please make yourself comfortable,” Gehenna said, as she indicated the chairs. Unlike with Mamercus, she did not sit down first and gave Valerian the choice of seats. As they were getting settled, another door to the side of the room opened and a male servant entered carrying a tray of refreshments, which he placed on a table behind one of the settees and then left. “Would you care for some refreshments before we begin?” She knew that he was probably more interested in being introduced to Serena, as her cousin was in being introduced to him. There had been some debate as to whether she wanted to meet him at the airport or at the palace, but came to the conclusion that a private meeting would me much easier.

Late Roman Empire
Ambassador

Postby Late Roman Empire » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:50 pm

Very impressive. It has a distinct quality, no doubt unique to Tartarian culture. The stamp of their national identity. Comfortable, and yet quite majestic. Worthy of a head of state greeting foreign luminaries.

"Your Imperial Majesty does me great credit in accepting my suit of marriage toward Her Imperial Highness. As a matter of fact, I will gladly accept some coffee, if you please. I have to warn you that I've built up something of a tolerance to caffeine, due to my tendency to work late hours in the past. Something tells me that I'll be reducing my hours to a somewhat less grueling schedule in the very near future. Being a divorced diplomat without children can lead to workaholic habits, which is what has happened in the recent years.

"A good wife, however, deserves better treatment than an absent or neglectful husband. I have learned well from past errors, both in terms of conducting myself as a married man and also in terms of choosing a proper mate to begin with. Some lessons are very painful.

"Speaking of marriage, I am admittedly eager to meet my intended. If she is even half the exemplary young woman of whom I have been told, she should be more than ideal for the job. And it is a job, as I am sure that Your Majesty is well aware," Valerian commented as he sat in one of the proffered spots, one which gave him a good view of the entire room and enabled him to face the Empress eye to eye.

Gehenna Tartarus
Minister

Corporate Police State

Postby Gehenna Tartarus » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:31 pm

Gehenna had not taken a seat, once they were on their own, instead she walked around to the table where the refreshments were and poured Valerian a cup of coffee and then one for herself, then she placed the cup on the table in front of where he had chosen to sit. Normally, with visiting dignitaries everything would be formal and one of the servants would have remained to deal with serving the beverages, but as a show that she considered him one of the family, she was keeping the meeting less formal and bestowing on him a service that few other than her family and few friends would receive.

“I have myself experienced days when I never seem to give up for the day,” she said as she took her seat. “Unfortunately, in our roles, coffee does have a habit of becoming one of our best friends and something that we tend to rely upon more than we probably should. But companionship is most certainly one way to curtail such bad habits and bring about a happy medium between work and play.” The Empress, before meeting Lord Daniels, would often work late into the night rather than retreat into her apartments on her own, when she did not have company. And although her first priority was to the Empire, she would think a little more of her own needs than she used to.

“A person makes many mistakes in their lives, which is being human. It is not learning from them that the problems start.” She picked up her cup and took a slow sip of her coffee. “I am confident that Princess Serena will be the ideal wife for you and will make you satisfied, if not happy, with your decision.” She did not know the full details about the Emperor’s previous relationship and the reason for his divorce, but she could tell that he regretted his original choice rather than the fact that they were no longer married.

“As for Princess Serena, I thought that we could finish our refreshments and then I will introduce you,” she said, smiling brightly, convinced that he was going to think as highly of her cousin as she did. The princess, usually one of the most solid people Gehenna knew, was more nervous about meeting Valerian than she was the first time she had stood in front of a roomful of people and gave a speech. “And then I will leave the two of you to become acquainted.”

Late Roman Empire
Ambassador

Postby Late Roman Empire » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:14 am

"Your Imperial Majesty is most gracious and sensible, of course. Were I in her place, perhaps I might even require some time to steady myself. At any rate, this coffee is excellent, and it was a worthy gesture of hospitality, no doubt beyond the call of duty, for you to serve it to me yourself. I am impressed with how well you have conducted yourself as a hostess thus far.

"I can see that the good manners that were reported back to me by the representatives that returned from Mount Angel were not isolated to those particular delegates, Their Imperial Highnesses. It strikes me as a Tartarian tradition, and a rather admirable one at that. A true mark of a civilized nation and royal family.

"Since we are waiting a bit longer, perhaps you do not mind if we talk shop a little. This business of the civil war in New Edom is but one of many such crises developing or likely to develop in the near future. When I spoke of concerns about regional stability, I also meant things like the Shrailleeni encroachment upon Dengali and development of nuclear power, the push for Etrurian and Elwe independence, which may or may not be good for the region, and the increasingly hostile activity of the Imperium of Arbites.

"There is also the business of Riemaian conduct toward other nations, such as New Edom, and the eagerness of her Empress to plunge her into a variety of senseless wars. There is even the issue of Mount Angel, and how it will relate to the rest of the world, if tensions with Nalaya continue to remain high. A nation of Crusader values frankly worries me more than a nation with a benevolent, if austere dictator like General Vaneni.

"These are all issues of grave concern to me, especially given how apparently keen on overreaction the Angelans have proved to be. Should they decide to begin an aggressive and expansionist posture toward other nations, all of us might well have to look to our defenses. Most particularly, however, the Nalayans and New Macureans have cause for anxiety. It is even a matter of doubt to me just how formidable an armaments program is at work in Mount Angel. I fear greatly that the Angelans have done themselves and the region a disservice by choosing a leader like Gideon Sinclair. He's a warrior at a moment which calls for diplomats, if you'll pardon my frankness in this respect.

"I apologize, of course, if I happen to ramble. I merely wished to begin preliminary discussion of the very regional issues which deeply concern the Empire in general and myself as Roman Emperor in particular," Valerian answered, hoping that he wasn't too long-winded. Lately, he had given a lot of public speeches, and he feared that the urge to orate might have carried over here.

In any case, the coffee was certainly delicious and helpful....and this conversation would hopefully buy Serena time to prepare for her first meeting with him.

Gehenna Tartarus
Minister

Corporate Police State

Postby Gehenna Tartarus » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:18 am

“I assure you that Princess Serena is looking forward to meeting you,” Gehenna replied to his comment about her needing time. “But as you can imagine, she is also a little daunted by the idea too.” Not that the princess was worried at the idea of meeting an emperor, she spent her whole life around royalty and people of power, but it was not every day that she was about to be introduce to the man who had asked for her hand, sight unseen, so to speak.

The Empress shook her head as Valerian asked if she minded if they talked shop. She had expected that during their meeting they would discuss other things than the marriage, and as he said, it would give Serena time to get ready for the meeting. “There have been many things happening lately that have given some cause for concern,” she said, agreeing with each of the points he had raised about New Edom, the Shraileeni and the Arbites. She knew that there was unlikely to ever be a time when the region was strife free. Unfortunately, it was not easy to people to change their ways, or even listen to advice.

“The New Edom situation was really a time bomb waiting to explode,” she said, not really being impressed with the three way government. It was okay normally to have monarchy and government working together, but somehow in New Edom both parties never really seemed to work together. Partly, Gehenna assumed, because the monarchy had forgotten that the nation was their life; the absent king living in Riemaia was evidence of that. Some royals forgot that they owed as much to their nation as their nation owed to them. “The Dengali issue has always been a cloud hanging over the region and the Arbites, they certainly need some intervention but I am unsure what will have any effect on them.”

She could not help the frown that crossed her brow at the mention of the Riemaians and the Angelans. She had even less respect for the Riemaian monarchy than she had for the New Monarchy, but at least the Edomites had useful government officials to counter the inadequacies she saw in the monarchy. The same could not be said of the Riemaians. They seemed to have a habit of promoting young, inexperienced women to roles that needed to be given to people who knew how to do the job. Sometimes it amazed Gehenna that Riemaia still existed.

“Empress Anneli is not…the ideal choice for a ruler, but I am sure if we looked at our own histories, we would find people who have done some reckless things in their time,” Gehenna said, trying to remain a little diplomatic. “As for the Angelans, they would fare much better if they came down from that high horse they seem to view the rest of us from and realise that it is not necessary the other nations that are wrong. Their blinkered view of everyone and their belief that an Angelan can do no wrong will one day bring about more unrest than they are willing to deal with. Our opinions of them have been somewhat negative in most of our dealings with them, mostly due to their obsession of constantly reminding us that we do not have public worship. I find it almost insulting that they ignore the fact that we do have people who follow the same religion but are treated as if we are a nation of atheists.”

She paused for a moment. “The reports that came back from the Mount Angel Festival were more negative than I was hoping for, but it seems that Archbishop Sinclair needs to quickly learn some diplomacy before he ends up insulting everyone in the region.” Val, who was usually a very laid back representative, hard to insult, had been obliged to complain about the treatment they had received, especially on the first day. Although he was sure that Sinclair had not meant to do so, the lack of diplomatic training and not having the ability to think before speaking was evident with several of his remarks, as was the fact that although Princess Mara had been the cause of all the fuss during that whole day, he treated her like a guest of honour to the detriment of everyone else present.

“I am hoping to host a regional conference with the idea of discussing some of the issues that have been mentioned and to also work upon establishing peacekeepers and other organisations to assist in times of crises and strengthen bonds between us and our neighbours,” she said, as she placed her cup on the table and made to stand. “I would certainly be glad to discuss that with you later. But I think we have kept Her Imperial Highness waiting long enough. If you have finished with your coffee, I would be honoured to introduce you to Princess Serena.”

Late Roman Empire
Ambassador

Postby Late Roman Empire » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:26 pm

"I hesitated to comment on the Festival, but our report was similarly unfavorable to the Angelans and others. It was no small factor in my thinking about them. As to a regional conference, let us talk more of this soon. In the Princess's presence, if possible, since you have confidence in her good sense and there I have reason to expect sound thinking from her. I strongly believe that this is a solid idea, but we should work on some of the details. I would be remiss if I failed to ensure a Roman presence at said conference.

"As to meeting the Princess herself, I am indeed eager to do so. Shall we do so here or somewhere else? I will be glad to meet her, alone or otherwise. It is high time that I settle down for good, become a husband and father as well as an Emperor, and also sire an heir to the throne, for the stability of the Empire," Valerian smiled in agreement.

"The coffee was wonderful, by the way. Thank you very much."

Gehenna Tartarus
Minister

Corporate Police State

Postby Gehenna Tartarus » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:16 am

Gehenna was not at all surprised that the Romans had felt the same way about the festival as the Tartarians had. There were a lot of similarities between the Late Roman Empire and the Empire of Tartarus, at least in the way they looked at things and their traditions. And although the Empress had been aware that they shared traits, she had not realised quite how much they were on the same page with their views of their neighbours and the fact that something needed to be done to unify the region before it ended up tearing itself apart. Not that she would mind seeing some nations getting a complete overhaul, she did not need to have the Empire being dragged into conflict after conflict due to there being no regional assistance and she had been less than impressed with the response to outside help, as seen in the New Edom civil war. The inept reaction of the UEF peacekeepers just strengthened her view that not all organisations were as useful as they pretended to be.

“We shall indeed,” Gehenna replied, to his remark concerning the conference. She was pleased that he mentioned including Princess Serena in the discussions, but she would wait until after they had met until making a final decision. It did not matter what she, or his advisors thought about Serena’s abilities, the Emperor might not agree with them and she did not want to force the issue. “And you are right, we should work on some of the details beforehand, so at least we will have a starting point to work from.”

Like a lot of old stately homes and palaces, although there was a corridor that ran along the length of the buildings and had doors off of it into state rooms, there were also adjoining doors between many of the room, so that they could be opened up during large gatherings into larger connecting rooms. So, rather than walking towards the door that they had arrived through, Gehenna led Valerian to one in the side of the room, the opposite end to where the servant had arrived from. She knocked on the door, more to give Serena notice that they were coming and then opened the door.

Princess Serena had been in the next room from the one that Gehenna and Valerian were having coffee and chatting. The princess was not usually an edgy kind of person, but while she had been waiting she had sat in a chair, stood up, walked around the room, gazed out of the window and repeated. For someone who could talk to world leaders like equals, she was very nervous about meeting Valerian. Not because he was an Emperor, but because he was an Emperor who had asked for her hand in marriage. And he had done so without having met her before and she had never met him. She was not really surprised by the idea of an arranged marriage, or for marrying for the sake of the Empire, it was more the whole out of the blue aspect. She was nervous, but at the same time, she was very flattered that of all the people he could have chosen, he had picked her.

The princess had merely just sat down after a little pacing, when she heard the knock on the door and stood back up again. She had not been in the room on her own, her maid had been present, mostly to stop the poor young woman from driving herself mad, but at the knock, she had scooted off to the edge of the room, standing near the far door. Her eyes were fixed to the door as it opened, a smile already fixed to her lips.

As she opened the door, Gehenna allowed Valerian to walk through first, allowing her to give her cousin an encouraging smile. Serena appeared a lot less nervous than she had earlier, but the Empress suspected that her cousin was in her official mode, which was basically the public mask that all Tartarian royals, nobles and politicians had when carrying out public duties. She guided the Emperor towards the princess stopping about three feet from where her cousin stood.

Once they stopped, Gehenna turned to Valerian. “Your Eternal Majesty, may I introduce Her Imperial Highness, Princess Serena of Tartarus,” she said, before turning to her cousin. “Your Imperial Highness, may I introduce, His Eternal Majesty, Imperator Caesar Valerianus Augustus, the Emperor of the Late Roman Empire.”

Serena dropped into a low curtsy, which she held for a few seconds, eyes and head lowered, before returning to a standing position, her eyes meeting first Valerian’s and then Gehenna’s. Like her cousin, the princess was dressed in a summer dress, although hers was pastel blue that almost matched the colour of the sky outside. It had shoulder straps, a modest bust line and finished just above her knees, having a slight flair from the waist. Her golden brown hair was loose about her face, coming down to below her shoulders. “Your Majesties,” she replied in greeting and then waited for the Emperor to address her.

Late Roman Empire
Ambassador

Postby Late Roman Empire » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:13 pm

God, she is lovely! That is certainly a pleasant start. Mind you, her common sense, if accurately recorded, will prove even more attractive and will last when her physical charms have faded. I have put a lot of faith in the words of a man and a eunuch. I must trust that they are right.

"Your Imperial Highness, I am pleased to meet you at last. The delegates, it seems, were so dazzled by your good sense and excellent manners that they failed to mention your physical beauty as well. Not, mind you, that I am surprised. From what I can tell, yours is a very handsome family. I am most honored to call you my intended," Valerian smiled, in a sincere expression of his desire to become better acquainted with this impressive young lady.

Gehenna Tartarus
Minister

Corporate Police State

Postby Gehenna Tartarus » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:43 pm

Serena felt much more relaxed now that the introductions were made and she was able to face the man that she was going to be married to. Although she knew that he was a man and she had seen pictures of him, there had been a feeling of awe as if some god was going to walk through the door or worse some ogre, but when he had finally walked in alongside Gehenna, the princess realised that he was someone that she could deal with, honour and cherish. She could not claim right then that she would love him or that he would love her, but looking into his eyes it was a possibility, but if not, she was sure that she could be very fond of him.

“Your Eternity, I am pleased that your delegates picked up on what I consider my more enduring qualities,” she said brightly, giving him a more natural smile as she settled into herself. Normally when she spoke to people, she managed to focus her gaze to their faces, but she was finding her eyes ever now and then wandering up and down Valerian as if she wanted to get a glimpse of the whole man.

Gehenna, who had been standing silently by while they spoke a little, finally joined in the conversation, so that she could excuse herself and let the two get better acquainted without her playing gooseberry. “I shall leave you alone to talk and we shall get together later to discuss the conference,” she said, her gaze flicking between the Emperor and her cousin. “If you need me, just ring for a member of staff. Your Eternity, Your Highness.” She looked at both as she spoke and then withdrew from the room, the maid who had been with her earlier using the opportunity to also leave, although she was waiting just outside the door.

Oddly, when she found herself in the room alone with him, she suddenly became a little nervous again, not because she did not trust him, but due to the idea that now she had to prove herself worthy of his attention. “Would you care to sit, or perhaps a stroll around the garden?” Through the French window was a patio that would eventually lead to a balcony at the back of the palace, that overlooked a formal garden. Passed the formal garden was an avenue of bushes that led down eventually to a large lake, giving the back of the palace grounds a postcard view. Off to one side was also a rose garden, but the high bushes and secluded aspect would make that maybe a little too isolated for a first visit, even if the man was her future husband.

Late Roman Empire
Ambassador

Valerian Divus Augustus et Dominus Noster

Postby Late Roman Empire » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:23 am

"The garden sounds rather nice, Serena. You don't mind if I call you by your name rather than title at this point, do you? You can call me Valerian in private. We need to get used to such familiarity. Besides, it is nice to have that kind of intimacy and informality with at least one person. That is largely lost to me now. One of the drawbacks of being revered, come to think of it. I apologize if I ramble. I am suddenly quite nervous," Valerian caught himself being anxious. He didn't want to sound stupid or too verbose.

Valerian wanted very much to impress this clearly intelligent and lovely young woman. She was to be his bride, after all, assuming that all went well. He wanted to start things off on the right foot. It was critical for the success of this marriage and alliance. Both were at stake.
Last edited by Late Roman Empire on Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gehenna Tartarus
Minister

Corporate Police State

Postby Gehenna Tartarus » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:19 am

Serena had broken into a larger smile when he had used her name and had nodded her head as his question, while he continued to speak. She had always been under the impression that she would be using her future husband’s name in private moments, if they had been courting in the more traditional way, so him asking to use her given name than her title made the whole thing seem more normal, or as normal as Tartarian royals and nobles did anything.

“I would be pleased if you called me Serena, Valerian,” she said, to try out his name on her lips. It felt very comfortable calling him by his name but at the same time oddly exciting. If the princess could describe herself that day, she would have to admit that the normal Serena had disappeared and had been replaced by some kind of giddy school girl, who was excited but at the same time was afraid that she was going to suddenly find herself naked and about to make a speech. “It is always nice to be able to remove the title and go back to being a person, even if it is with only one other. Shall we?” She indicted the door to the patio.

“After a day of being called Your imperial Highness, I am always grateful when I can go back to my family and friends, so that I can remember I have a name, after all,” she said, laughing lightly. She loved being a princess and the things that it allowed her to do, like promoting charities, working on aspects of the Empire and meeting people, but she also liked to be able to close the door behind her and make herself comfy on the couch. “And you will have to excuse me if I ramble too, I find myself a little nervous too.”

Late Roman Empire
Ambassador

Postby Late Roman Empire » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:05 pm

"I can relate for certain. Being called 'domine' and 'Your Eternity' is very formal and makes one feel like a statue. Being called 'Valerian' breathes some life back into my lungs, so to speak. My own family is rather small, of course. But that is changing, as I'm marrying into yours. It's a useful connection back to the Earth after being treated as the Viceroy of Heaven, so to speak. That can be a little intimidating to think about. It also shows me that the people are not keen on giving up the old ways as much as one might think. They are very wedded to the tradition of veneration of Emperors as well as saints. The difference is that saints are too dead to mind it," Valerian observed.

"This is a very nice patio," the Emperor complimented the area. It was rather lovely, though his aesthetic senses were largely focused on Serena, of course.

"Your brother is named 'Val', isn't he? A strange coincidence, but if it doesn't bother you, it won't bother me."

Gehenna Tartarus
Minister

Corporate Police State

Postby Gehenna Tartarus » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:06 pm

As Valerian spoke, it became easier to visualise him as a man and a husband, rather than some distant Emperor who was more god than mortal. Gehenna was held in high regard and she did not expect anything different with Valerian, but she had feared that he might have been more like her uncle, who was someone that did not treat his wife as an equal, and sometimes would not even allow her in the same palace as him when he was especially annoyed with her. But Valerian did not seem to be the kind of man who was anything like Emperor Erebus had been.

“I will consider it my duty to make sure that you remain ‘Valerian’ when we are alone,” she said, smiling at him as they walked along the patio that ran along the side of the palace. “I know how important traditions are and how highly they are held by people. The Empire of Tartarus maintains a lot of them, some of which probably seem very odd to people outside but it is what gives us our identity, and they are a part of us.” There were a lot of traditions that Serena thought were very odd, but it was what made her Tartarian.

“The patio is very pleasant, especially on days like this,” she added, as her own focus more on her companion than on scenery she had seen many times before. “The view from the back of the palace is beautiful; it makes the sides seem pale by comparison. I have a set of photographs of the scene in each of the seasons, the winter one being my favourite.”

The continued on a little way further. “Oh, no, it does not bother me. I find it oddly…comforting,” she replied, hoping that did not give him the wrong idea. “I am close to by brother, Val, so it seems right that my husband, who will be closer to me than anyone, should be called Valerian.”

Late Roman Empire
Ambassador

Postby Late Roman Empire » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:54 pm

"I suppose that's true enough for all of us. Traditions, right or wrong, are part of us. They are instilled with mothers' milk, as it were. We Romans tend to be very pragmatic and stubborn. Sometimes to a fault. The Edomites have a tendency to want to break bread even while insulting each other. Their obsession with mint tea is unnerving at times. What would you say is the most defining tradition of Tartarus?" Valerian asked.

"By the way, if you are fine with me having a similar name to your brother, so am I. He seems a level-headed guy. Maybe if we have a son, we can name him Valentinian, which is similar to Val, in his honor.

"I could certainly see why you enjoy the patio. Forgive me. I carried on talking without pausing to give you a chance to reply. That was thoughtless on my part. I was just eager for you to know that I didn't ignore any part of what you said before," he noted with embarrassment.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates