NATION

PASSWORD

NSTracker

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]
Assorro
Attaché

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

NSTracker

Postby Assorro » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:47 am

I don't as a rule like to stick my nose into places it hasn't first been invited to but more and more I feel the need to respond to common posts made by people concerning the site of NSTracker. People actually argue over which calculator to use and it's silly. Make your own numbers or not if you want to fit in with the group these days, good luck. It's become more and more about arguing figures than about roleplaying. Standardization? Seriously? Have you looked closely at the NationStates World? It's as diverse as our own.

All calculators take your information from the daily data dumps which is directly related to the choices you make through daily issues. This to me is a function that grants you control over various aspects of your nation through daily issues. These very same attributes impact your economic standing. If we research how GDP is actually calculated we find that things such as consumer confidence and worker enthusiasm are very tangible, impacting factors. The best thing about NationStates is that it's fiction. We can modify fiction towards taste defined by players.

This is easy to find: http://tracker.conquestofabsolution.com ... lculations

We weren't even in the picture when Commerce Heights wrote the initial formula for calculating national and regional statistics. Fostonia was the original creator of NSTracker and his site was still active in 2009 when myself and a few other players started looking at the source code as something simple to place on our own board. We didn't even really start looking at it until the Summer of 2010 when we noticed that Fostonia's site had disappeared and that some players were beginning to use our site as a substitute. Players passing through Absolution over time passed the link along and we responded to that newly founded need by looking more and more into correcting the flaws within the calculator or at least the ones we ourselves could see. There is still so much more to do and we accomplish this with the help of regular players.

Two years later, it does so much more all attributed to the regular players leaving comments on our site. They all had an idea and thus something to offer the greater community of NationStates above and beyond the old, tired arguments of days gone by. NSTracker is customizable now and there's a lot more to come. You can define your roleplay population to as low a 2,000 if required. You can define your nations import/export percentages and the strength of your military by population, budget and reserves. NSTracker now has six different layouts. It never before gave regional data or World statistics, it now does. It used to have unreadable graph images. We use the same jquery graphs NationStates does. It no longer retrieves 100% of your stats today from the API but rather from our own resources and the work is still continuing to decrease our own footprint upon the servers of NationStates. We do in fact feel that we are there to help you help us and NSTracker could never force anyone into using it. The choice is entirely up to the individual. Beautiful thing, choice!

All calculators were brought to you by people you do not know but people nonetheless that wished you to have it. Imagine if there were nothing. Not everyone is strongly suited towards math. Calculators were never expected to be seen as "bibles" and in truth were created to be fun. Remember? What always surprises me is that none of the naysayers want to help in the least to actually bring you a calculator worth while. They simply repeat old, tired arguments from days gone by. We are currently completing our latest upgrades so yes, things do tend to need fixing from time to time. It's our hobby and this Summer has already seen large changes. Our comment section and email overflowed with ideas for this ongoing project which anyone can attend. All we require is time enough to see to them all so please bare with us.

Seems a much more rewarding journey over and above arguing with people that will never see things from your point of view. The best thing is, you always have the choice there too.

Onwards and upwords!
- T.F.N. Assorro
Founder of Absolution

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:51 am

Is...is that game talk? There's a game associated with this? Welp, time to riot...
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Mad hatters in jeans
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 14, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Mad hatters in jeans » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:52 am

Cannot think of a name wrote:Is...is that game talk? There's a game associated with this? Welp, time to riot...

I think the last time i even checked that was a year ago. damn so much has happened since then.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:04 pm

Mad hatters in jeans wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:Is...is that game talk? There's a game associated with this? Welp, time to riot...

I think the last time i even checked that was a year ago. damn so much has happened since then.

I'm not even sure what it is. I think I might have spent an afternoon contemplating the game itself and then just went about sporadically addressing issues...and then stopped even doing that. I guess I should at least read the book...eventually...
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Assorro
Attaché

Postby Assorro » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:00 pm

That's cute.
- T.F.N. Assorro
Founder of Absolution

Mad hatters in jeans
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 14, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Mad hatters in jeans » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:15 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Mad hatters in jeans wrote:I think the last time i even checked that was a year ago. damn so much has happened since then.

I'm not even sure what it is. I think I might have spent an afternoon contemplating the game itself and then just went about sporadically addressing issues...and then stopped even doing that. I guess I should at least read the book...eventually...

same, cept some random bought me syrup (book) so i'm ahead of you on that one.

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:18 pm

I think calculators are a good basis for establishing a baseline value for national economic output, but like anything there needs to be a lot of subjective calibration in order to get accurate RP numbers. I mean, I RP a substantially higher GDP than my calculator shows due to government/nation-specific factors but I trade off by drastically reducing military expenditures and increasing vulnerability to economic disruption.
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:22 pm

Moved to Gameplay, which is where this belongs.
[edit]RE-moved to Factbooks and National Information.
Last edited by Katganistan on Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Assorro
Attaché

Postby Assorro » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:51 pm

Vetalia wrote:I think calculators are a good basis for establishing a baseline value for national economic output, but like anything there needs to be a lot of subjective calibration in order to get accurate RP numbers. I mean, I RP a substantially higher GDP than my calculator shows due to government/nation-specific factors but I trade off by drastically reducing military expenditures and increasing vulnerability to economic disruption.

Those are the ideas we're looking for. We're looking at adding more selective content for players to further tailor the balances of their own economies. We see no reason why you, the player, shouldn't be capable of turning those options on and off and it is functions such as those which would make the difference.

We realize that you run into walls using calculators. Well why not show us the list of things we should examine and allow us to find the remedy? NSTracker now employs a login system and each account has its own individual settings to already modify their stats. We'll simply redesign and add more variables for you to control.
- T.F.N. Assorro
Founder of Absolution

Assorro
Attaché

Postby Assorro » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:53 pm

Many, and I do mean many posts have been written in recent weeks that all appear on the surface to be attempts at destroying the reputation of NSTracker which has lead me to feel as though some kind of public statement needs to be submitted. Allow me to counter some of the more poignant items currently being incorrectly stated as fact by players that have no idea how the site actually works. Their statements can only be viewed as supposition and guesswork.

"NSTracker is biased."

Against what? Against whom? It doesn't matter whether you are at 20 billion or 20 million the site looks upon both equally and calculates data based solely upon their freedom levels and nation xml data stream. It does not favour anyone. It all comes down to the choices you make in your daily issues as to where your nation will lie economically. I fail to see bias only fair play with the element of choice for change set firmly in the hands of each individual player through their own choices made through daily issues.

NSTracker allows nations to set their military to unreasonable proportions.

It used to but to be fair, nothing used to do anything for anyone before NSTracker did it first back in 2010; not even NationStates. It's been a work in progress since the list of player demands just continues to grow only now we also have those that were not involved but are self-appointed authorities typing propaganda as though they are typing fact. Mere supposition.

The standard roleplaying percentage for population in military service is 1%. Currently, NSTracker allows a nation to choose between 0-3% for peacetime and 4-8% for wartime. The second part of this is being created right now which will see a nations economy crumble and collapse if they choose to strain it. This should hopefully alleviate the argument that the site is allowing nations to set unrealistic military proportions without consequence.

The other part of this is that the site is "unfair" because it allows a nation to set it's own variables. The only game-side variables that NSTracker allows nations to modify are income tax and budgets. The decade-long argument revolving around income taxes within NationStates forced the site to consider this seriously though only for roleplay purposes. The factual income tax rate can still be viewed using the RP Compare feature. Allowing nations to allocate their budget percentages towards different government departments made sense as well for roleplay purposes because you are the leader of your nation supposedly so why shouldn't you be allowed to redistribute your own budgets? The overall government budget doesn't change just the percentages declared for each department. Again, the factual budgets can be viewed through the use of the RP Compare feature. If you don't see the RP Compare button while viewing national data on the site it's because that particular nation hasn't modified their data.

It should be noted that not all nations choose to augment their figures but rather play with the cards NationStates dealt them initially. The intention of NSTracker is not to allow players to do as they please but rather to offer solutions to players. You are able to set a lesser roleplay population for example, which was created to aid extremely large nations in bringing their figures down. It will never serve in bringing a nations population up. You need to earn that day by day fortunately.

Not all players are best suited for math to any degree so instead of just losing those interested parties NSTracker offers yet another solution to hopefully generate and retain even more interest in NationStates itself by calculating their figures for them. There is nothing written that they need to use those figures but the choice is there. Awful convenient some might say. If this is wrong, I'm sorry for being in the wrong but I for one won't disregard players out of hand. It's a learning curve and NSTracker can and does connect the dots for a lot of players both young and old.

I can't remember a time since 2010 where I haven't been willing to discuss what players see as "problems" on the site itself and have indeed made many changes over the years because hey, they were right. Some have also been wrong but I deliberately explain and allow for rebuttal of why they're wrong. I'm not close-minded. I also can't remember a time since 2010 where I haven't made it publicly known that I invite and welcome all feedback both negative and positive within the comments section of the site itself though to date, none of the myriad of players all claiming justification on their own behalf are willing to do anything beyond whine their position all over the NationStates board, interrupting threads and generating confusion.

A term I like seeing that has recently popped onto my radar is "fan-created calculator". I am not the original author but I am its current author and have been serving players now unbiased since 2008 when the site first opened. The site has developed upon the suggestions made from other players. I've listened to the newest player on their very first day as well as those that have been around since 2002. Both carry equal weight with me.

I've earned my stripes. I have a proven track record for being centrist along with a history of being immensely neutral. I am a firm supporter of NationStates as too is NSTracker. This is about fairness. This is about bringing a sense of reality to a satirical simulation such as NationStates where before 2010, players simply didn't have access to the same resources they do today. There were no military calculators for example. Just another suggestion from a nation that wasn't even a year old at the time.

I stand for and support the greater NationStates community. It's a rather large and demanding job which I love and tend to daily on my own so by all means, please keep referring to NSTracker as a "fan-created calculator". From where I stand, it's become "The Players National Calculator" though a Rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

All feedback, criticism and ideas towards development are welcome within the comments section of the site. Onwards and upwards everyone!

http://www.nstracker.net/comments
- T.F.N. Assorro
Founder of Absolution

Assorro
Attaché

Postby Assorro » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:46 pm

Wow! A long time has passed since I've posted. Anyhoo...

Just when you thought it would never resurface, I get better and do this.

http://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=467415

Questions? Comments? Feel free.
- T.F.N. Assorro
Founder of Absolution

Harkback Union
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Harkback Union » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:50 pm

Hmmm... wasn't NSTracker that site that always gave me ridiculous economic data, like 90% Black market share of the economy with half my population working as criminals?

Meanwhile, According to NS, my nations is in the top 10% of the most crime-free and the state sector runs half the economy... Hmmm...
Last edited by Harkback Union on Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Assorro
Attaché

Postby Assorro » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:52 pm

That may have been NSEconomy. NSTracker has never delivered black market stats.
- T.F.N. Assorro
Founder of Absolution

Palakistan
Ambassador

Founded: May 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Palakistan » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:54 pm

Assorro wrote:That may have been NSEconomy. NSTracker has never delivered black market stats.

What is NStracker?
My stats are frozen at 10%
I annoy lots of people with my views. Sorry abou' that.

Your worst In Character enemy should be your best Out Of Character friend.
- to you who said that: genius!

Assorro
Attaché

Postby Assorro » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:00 pm

Palakistan wrote:
Assorro wrote:That may have been NSEconomy. NSTracker has never delivered black market stats.

What is NStracker?

Indeed. NSTracker is a third-party economic and military calculator which allows players to modify certain elements such as tax rates, how much you import/export along with changing the budgetary values for your nation. Just to name one or two things.
- T.F.N. Assorro
Founder of Absolution

Harkback Union
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Harkback Union » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:01 pm

All right, good to know.

Assorro
Attaché

Postby Assorro » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:01 pm

Maintenance window posted for this coming Thursday - Saturday.

NSTracker Maintenance Scheduled August 27 - 29, 2015
- T.F.N. Assorro
Founder of Absolution

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2004
Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:47 pm

Just a question,

I have my map uploaded to NSTracker but I am debating moving between regions and may need to upload a new map at some point. How would I do that as I have looked through to see the option and am unable to find it as of right now.

I figure i'd post this on here instead of bothering you with yet another TG. ;)
ShazWeb || IIWiki || Discord: shazbertbot || 1 x NFL Picks League Champion (2021)
CosmoCast || SISA || CCD || CrawDaddy || SCIA || COPEC || Boudreaux's || CLS || SNC || ShazAir || BHC || TWO
NHL: NYR 1 - 0 WSH | COL 0 - 1 WPG | VGK 0 - 0 DAL || NBA: NOLA (8) 0 - 1 OKC (1)
NCAA MBB: Tulane 22-18 | LSU 25-16 || NCAA WSB: LSU 35-10

Assorro
Attaché

Postby Assorro » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:36 am

TGs are the best way of getting my attention and I don't mind getting them in the least.

The recent overhaul of the site's settings have made uploading a map even easier via AJAX. You'll find the section for your map within the domestics section of your settings alongside weather, land mass, time zone, refinements and population control.

==========================

Registration and Forgot Password Overhauls

It's been due for a very long time. If you ever found yourself getting frustrated with the forgot password functions of NSTracker you're not alone. As of today, both processes have been rewritten and tested for performance and bugs. I'm happy to say that over nine hours I had not one issue with registering or resetting my password through the site.

Though the registration page was working it had issues going back to 2010. I for one am very pleased to have these two items complete. Over the next several weeks a lot more strengthening of the site will occur as I prepare it for new additions.

Some further reading on the moment at hand.

Upcoming NSTracker Concerns and Project Update
- T.F.N. Assorro
Founder of Absolution

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information