NATION

PASSWORD

The Death Penalty

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Your view on capital punishment? Should it be legal?

1. Yes - capital punishment should stand.
27%
2. Yes, but only if there is irrefutable evidence and adequate eyewitness accounts of willful and conscious murder (eg: Anders Breivik, Nidal Hasan)
23%
3. No - innocent people may be falsely convicted executed for crimes they didn't commit.
14%
4. No - judiciary costs are too high.
2%
5. No - no human being deserves execution.
34%

Total votes : 182

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:57 pm

I'm in favor of it provided there is enough proof the the accused did the crime. It should also be sped up, be done in public, and use more old school methods, like hanging.

Rakir
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Rakir » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:06 pm

There are a number of reasons the death penalty is wrong. The judicial system is far from infallible, and trusting it to make an irrevocable decision is pretty unwise. The death penalty also costs an ungodly amount of money, and the only way to reduce that cost is to either a.) switch to more primitive forms of execution, which will both qualify the death penalty as cruel and unusual (in my opinion) and reduce the cost by very little, or b.) remove appeals, which just exacerbates the problem of wrong sentencing.

In short, if you're going to take away another human being's life, you better make damn sure that your actions bring about enough good to cancel out the bad of the execution, and as long as a life sentence is available, that'll never be the case.
"[What Hayek] does not see, or will not admit, [is] that a return to "free" competition means for the great mass of people a tyranny probably worse, because more irresponsible, than that of the State. The trouble with competitions is that somebody wins them. Professor Hayek denies that free capitalism necessarily leads to monopoly, but in practice that is where it has led..." - George Orwell

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:18 pm

The purpse of a prison is to protect the rest of society from dangerous individuals and, if possible, to rehabilitate them. Once an individual is behind bars, society is safe from them. The death penalty serves no purpose other than providing state-sponsored revenge.
She/they

Communalist, Social Ecologist, Bioregionalist

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

Abercost
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Abercost » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:23 pm

Execution of a sentient life form is barbaric, and is a practice to which I am wholeheartedly and passionately opposed.

The UK in Exile
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby The UK in Exile » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:53 pm

the hand the orders the sentence should wield the sword.

if there is to be a death penalty it should be carried out by someone selected like a jury.

if the citizenry want a death penalty they should be made to face the consequences. otherwise its too easy to ignore the mess and the horror.
Last edited by The UK in Exile on Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We fought for the public good and would have enfranchised the people and secured the welfare of the whole groaning creation, if the nation had not more delighted in servitude than in freedom"

"My actions are as noble as my thoughts, That never relish’d of a base descent.I came unto your court for honour’s cause, And not to be a rebel to her state; And he that otherwise accounts of me, This sword shall prove he’s honour’s enemy."

"Wählte Ungnade, wo Gehorsam nicht Ehre brachte."
DEFCON 0 - not at war
DEFCON 1 - at war "go to red alert!" "are you absolutely sure sir? it does mean changing the lightbulb."

Previous

Return to General