NATION

PASSWORD

Syria shoots down Turkish combat aircraft

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Noobubersland
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Syria shoots down Turkish combat aircraft

Postby Noobubersland » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:41 pm

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2012/06/20126221721460173.html

The Syrian military says it has shot down a Turkish fighter jet "over its territorial waters", risking a new crisis between Middle Eastern neighbours already at bitter odds over a 16-month-old revolt against Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.

"Our air defences confronted a target that penetrated our air space over our territorial waters pre-afternoon on Friday and shot it down. It turned out to be a Turkish military plane," a statement by the military circulated on state media said.

Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan's office confirmed the incident in which two pilots went missing.

"As a result of information obtained from the evaluation of our concerned institutions and from within the joint search and rescue operations with Syria, it is understood that our plane was brought down by Syria," Erdogan's office said in a statement.

Turkey would decide on its response to the incident once all of the details became clear, it said in the statement, issued after a two-hour meeting between Erdogan, members of his cabinet and the military.

Al Jazeera’s Anita McNaught, reporting from Istanbul, said: "What those necessary measures are in Turkey’s views, whether it will be taking it alone or invoking its membership of NATO or calling for wider support, we don’t know."

"Beyond that, what was a Turkish fighter bomber plane doing in Syrian airspace in the first place as per Turkish military," she said.

"We don’t know how the plane was downed and how the international community is going to support Turkey in whatever response it decides to take."

The military has said a search and rescue operation for the two pilots of the F-4 plane was under way, the Anatolia state news agency said.

'Escalation in tensions'

The jet had lost radio contact with its base over the eastern Mediterranean near Syria's Latakia, an army statement said earlier.

Ankara had said earlier that it had lost contact with one of its military aircraft off its southeastern coast after it took off from Erhac airport in the eastern province of Malatya.

NATO-member Turkey, which had drawn close to Syria before the uprising against Assad, turned against the Syrian leader when he responded violently to pro-democracy protests inspired by popular upheavals elsewhere in the Arab world.

Ankara has previously floated the possibility of setting up some kind of safe haven or humanitarian corridor inside Syria, which would entail military intervention, but has said it would undertake no such action without UN Security Council approval.

Al Jazeera's McNaught said: "This is a dramatic escalation in tensions between two neighbouring countries. Relations have been bad for many months and the worse was when the Syrian army fired on a Turkish refugee camp holding Syrian refugees."

"At that point Turkey invoked issues of national sovereignty; it was seen as a bit of over-reaction then.

"We are in a completely different territory now."

So, it appears that Turkish Forces were deliberately attacked by Syrian forces, What do you NSGers think will happen to the Syrian Question now? Will Turkey intervene? Or will only empty threats come of it?
I personally think that only some sanctions and empty threats will some out of it, seeing as Turkey can't afford to piss off China and Russia, but can't afford to lose face at home
Grand-Duc de Languedoc, Under Roi J&D I

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:43 pm

Technically, an attack on one NATO country is an attack on all NATO members. Operation Liberty Eagle is a go.
Go Vikings.
Sunnyvale, straight the fuck up.

Zephie
Senator

Founded: Oct 30, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Zephie » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:44 pm

turkey has the best air force in the middle east, how did they get their aircraft shot down by a pez dispenser?

Blazedtown wrote:Technically, an attack on one NATO country is an attack on all NATO members. Operation Liberty Eagle is a go.

That or this could be a false flag/flat out lie in order to justify war with Syria.
Last edited by Zephie on Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.
Senestrum wrote:I just can't think of anything to say that wouldn't get me warned on this net-nanny forum.

Costa Fiero
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fiero » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:45 pm

The aircraft involved was an F4 Phantom. I'm not entirely sure if said aircraft was modernised or whether or not.

Noobubersland
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Noobubersland » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:45 pm

Zephie wrote:turkey has the best air force in the middle east, how did they get their aircraft shot down by a pez dispenser?

Hey, Propeller planes have shot down jets in the past....And i'm pretty sure that Israel has the best airforce, seeing as they have the most modern planes

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:50 pm

Costa Fiero wrote:The aircraft involved was an F4 Phantom. I'm not entirely sure if said aircraft was modernised or whether or not.

The Turkish Air Force has modernized them considerably. They are completely different animals from the Lead Sled that dominated the skies over Vietnam.
Go Vikings.

New Heathera
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Heathera » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:51 pm

Blazedtown wrote:Technically, an attack on one NATO country is an attack on all NATO members. Operation Liberty Eagle is a go.

And with Russia helping out Syria... get ready for WW3. :lol:

Yanitza
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 18, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Yanitza » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:52 pm

It was over syrian waters, what do they expect?

Kazhanistan
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kazhanistan » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:54 pm

Turkey could stomp a mudhole in Syria's ass by itself, the only thing that might hold them back is NATO.

Noobubersland
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Noobubersland » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:54 pm

Yanitza wrote:It was over syrian waters, what do they expect?

A warning, we don't just shoot everything that moves

Zathganastan
Senator

Founded: Aug 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Zathganastan » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:55 pm

Well this won't end well Turkey is one of the most power nations in the region while Syria is already facing a crisis back in their own homeland.
Evelyn Beatrice Hall:I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it
Shakespeare:All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players:
They have their exits and their entrances;And one man in his time plays many parts
The Allied states Military, zathganastans pride and Joy:
Army: 35,000,000 armed forces
Navy: 18,000 ships
Air force: 10,000,000 air force personal
and National Marines: 8,000,000 marines
Zathgan speical forces:2,500,000 speical forces

Yanitza
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Yanitza » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:56 pm

Noobubersland wrote:
Yanitza wrote:It was over syrian waters, what do they expect?

A warning, we don't just shoot everything that moves

Yes but the country isn't exactly stabel right now is it, the Turks should have known better not to atagonise the Syrians

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:56 pm

I would not care to see a land war between these two nations.

Syria http://www.nationmaster.com/country/sy- ... l-military

Turkey http://www.nationmaster.com/country/tu- ... l-military
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Yanitza
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Yanitza » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:57 pm

Zathganastan wrote:Well this won't end well Turkey is one of the most power nations in the region while Syria is already facing a crisis back in their own homeland.

exactly, Turkey probably did this on purpose for an excuse for itself and NATO to invade

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:58 pm

Yanitza wrote:
Zathganastan wrote:Well this won't end well Turkey is one of the most power nations in the region while Syria is already facing a crisis back in their own homeland.

exactly, Turkey probably did this on purpose for an excuse for itself and NATO to invade

That's a very nice conspiracy theory you got there.
Impeach The Queen, Legalize Anarchy, Stealing Things Is Not Theft. Sex Pistols 2017.
I'm the evil gubmint PC inspector, here to take your Guns, outlaw your God, and steal your freedom and give it to black people.
I'm Joe Biden. So far as you know.

For: Anarchy, Punk Rock Fury
Against: Thatcher, Fascists, That Fascist Thatcher, Reagan, Nazi Punks, Everyone
"Am I buggin' ya? I don't mean to bug ya." - Bono
Let's cram some more shit in my sig. Cool people cram shit in their sigs. In TECHNICOLOR!

Yanitza
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Yanitza » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:59 pm

Frisivisia wrote:
Yanitza wrote:exactly, Turkey probably did this on purpose for an excuse for itself and NATO to invade

That's a very nice conspiracy theory you got there.

well it all fits very nicely does it

Allrule
Senator

Founded: Apr 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Allrule » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:00 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUH3JQjcweM

Shit just got real, bitches.
Save the Internet! Protect Net Neutrality!

"Lily? After all this time?"
"Always."
-Albus Dumbledore and Severus Snape, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:00 pm

Yanitza wrote:
Frisivisia wrote:That's a very nice conspiracy theory you got there.

well it all fits very nicely does it

That doesn't mean it's so.
Impeach The Queen, Legalize Anarchy, Stealing Things Is Not Theft. Sex Pistols 2017.
I'm the evil gubmint PC inspector, here to take your Guns, outlaw your God, and steal your freedom and give it to black people.
I'm Joe Biden. So far as you know.

For: Anarchy, Punk Rock Fury
Against: Thatcher, Fascists, That Fascist Thatcher, Reagan, Nazi Punks, Everyone
"Am I buggin' ya? I don't mean to bug ya." - Bono
Let's cram some more shit in my sig. Cool people cram shit in their sigs. In TECHNICOLOR!

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:00 pm

Yanitza wrote:

Or maybe military machines facing the stress of of a massive internal uprising and massive outside pressure do very erratic things.
Go Vikings.

Yanitza
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Yanitza » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:01 pm

Blazedtown wrote:
Yanitza wrote:exactly, Turkey probably did this on purpose for an excuse for itself and NATO to invade

Or maybe military machines facing the stress of of a massive internal uprising and massive outside pressure do very erratic things.

yeah, so lets go provoke them by violating thier airspace

Zathganastan
Senator

Founded: Aug 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Zathganastan » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:01 pm

Yanitza wrote:

Why would turkey want to invade Syria I see no gain from that for anybody.While I understand that Syria has the right to shoot down foreign aircraft flying threw restricted airspace but really they should have given the pilot a warning to either land or retreat back into it's own air space before taking action.
Evelyn Beatrice Hall:I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it
Shakespeare:All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players:
They have their exits and their entrances;And one man in his time plays many parts
The Allied states Military, zathganastans pride and Joy:
Army: 35,000,000 armed forces
Navy: 18,000 ships
Air force: 10,000,000 air force personal
and National Marines: 8,000,000 marines
Zathgan speical forces:2,500,000 speical forces

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:02 pm

Obama announced liberating troops to be sent, boots on the ground should be tomorrow.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Yanitza
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Yanitza » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:02 pm

Frisivisia wrote:
Yanitza wrote:well it all fits very nicely does it

That doesn't mean it's so.

True, it doesn't, but I will hardly be surpirsed if this is used to ''justify'' an invasion of Syria

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:03 pm

Yanitza wrote:
Blazedtown wrote:

yeah, so lets go provoke them by violating thier airspace

Airspace violations happen all the time, all over the world.
Go Vikings.

Noobubersland
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Noobubersland » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:03 pm

greed and death wrote:Obama announced liberating troops to be sent, boots on the ground should be tomorrow.

Seriously? :eyebrow:

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General