NATION

PASSWORD

Juvenile Suffrage (votes for kids)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Entirely unreasonable choice between OP options, choose 2

Voting age 0: parents vote for children
3%
Voting age 5: parents have half-vote, child has other half
1%
Voting age 5: child has half-vote
0%
Voting age 9: child votes by secret ballot, full vote
4%
Voting age 11: child votes by secret ballot, full vote
2%
Voting age 13: child votes by secret ballot, full vote
12%
Keep it just like it is now (16, 18)
36%
Raise it (18, 20)
15%
Make the vote conditional (eg property, education, service)
19%
Monkeybum, monkeybum, 100% monkeybum!
8%

Total votes : 318

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Juvenile Suffrage (votes for kids)

Postby AiliailiA » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:07 am

I propose that children should be allowed to vote.

I acknowledge that young children will probably vote exactly as their parents tell them to. Is that such a bad thing? Parents get to make a lot of other decisions on behalf of their children.

In fact, I would let parents vote on behalf of children up to the age of 5. Essentially, if a parent has legal custody of a child, the parent gets two votes: their own, and the proxy vote of their child. If custody is shared, the two parents each get one half vote on behalf of the child, in addition their own full adult vote.

Then I'd have a transitional period of 6-8 where the parent can cast one half of the child's vote (or one quarter if they are a legally-recognized co-parent) while the child herself/himself gets the other half. Half and quarter votes will not screw up any electoral system ... in fact, they make deadlocks less likely.

Then from the age of of 9, every child would have the right to cast their own vote, in private as adults do.

What say you?
Last edited by AiliailiA on Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
: eugenics :
What are the colons meant to convey here?
In my experience Colons usually convey shit

NSG junkie. Getting good shit for free, why would I give it up?

New Mushroom Kingdom
Minister

Founded: Jul 16, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby New Mushroom Kingdom » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:09 am

Yes, Just yes.
NationStates Belongs to All, Gameplay, Roleplay, and Nonplay Alike
Every NationStates Community Member, from Raider Kings to Brony Queens Make Us Awesome.

Embassy Request Thread NS section of my wiki-thing Questions?
DEFCON 5. Never forget Z-Day. 1/4/13. 'Corporate Police State' fits just as well as the actual WA category.
There are no magic mushrooms in this nation. Seriously.

Ovisterra
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ovisterra » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:10 am

So I'm not the only one who thinks like this.
Removing the text from people's sigs doesn't make it any less true. I stand with Yalta.

Fionnuala_Saoirse
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Fionnuala_Saoirse » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:11 am

Shifts disenfranchisement. Balls.
Stupid Telegrams Received :

- "Isn't your name the name of the female Branch of the IRA" -- Benian Republic

Lancaster of Wessex
Senator

Founded: Feb 21, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Lancaster of Wessex » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:11 am

Terrible idea.

Kids (the majority of them anyway) do not have the experience or exposure to the complexities of modern societies and political situations to be able to cast a vote efficiently.
Lancaster.
Duke of the Most Ancient and Noble House of Lancaster of Wessex

The Most High, Potent, and Noble Prince, Lancaster, By the Grace of God, Duke of Wessex, Protector of the Enclaved Pious Estates of The Church of Wessex, Lord of Saint Aldhelm Islands, Prince and Great Steward of Celtic Wessex, Keeper of the Great Seal of the Duchy and House of Lancaster of Wessex, Sovereign of the Most Ancient and Illustrious Order of the Gold Gryphon, etc.

L Ron Cupboard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby L Ron Cupboard » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:12 am

If you can be charged with a crime, you should be able to vote as far as I am concerned.
A leopard in every home, you know it makes sense.

The Holy Twig
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Holy Twig » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:13 am

Ailiailia wrote:I propose that children should be allowed to vote.

Because children are good at critical thinking.

I acknowledge that young children will probably vote exactly as their parents tell them to. Is that such a bad thing? Parents get to make a lot of other decisions on behalf of their children.

In fact, I would let parents vote on behalf of children up to the age of 5. Essentially, if a parent has legal custody of a child, the parent gets two votes: their own, and the proxy vote of their child. If custody is shared, the two parents each get one half vote on behalf of the child, in addition their own full adult vote.

So a family with five children will have more of a political say than a family with 1 child or none? Let's also reinstate the law where, in the US, black people's votes are counted for less than one.

Then I'd have a transitional period of 6-8 where the parent can cast one half of the child's vote (or one quarter if they are a legally-recognized co-parent) while the child herself/himself gets the other half. Half and quarter votes will not screw up any electoral system ... in fact, they make deadlocks less likely.

"Vote Sarah Palin in 2016 for unicorns and puppies"

Then from the age of of 9, every child would have the right to cast their own vote, in private as adults do.

What say you?

It sounds like you're either trolling or playing devil's advocate.
Children (and most teenagers) (Scratch that, all teenagers) are incapable of intelligent or independent thought. Ideally, nobody would be able to vote under the age of 21 or without at least a high school education.
The most inept invader in Nationstates!

Economic issues: +5.3 left
Social issues: +2.63 libertarian
Foreign policy: +7.28 non-interventionist
Cultural identification: +7.23 liberal
New Freedomstan wrote:What is a little purging and gulag between friends?
They said I could do anything I wanted to do, so I argue with strangers on the internet.
Ceannairceach wrote:I am looking for a girl with >5% genetic relation to me. Must be dtf, blond, big butt.

FPCCOS
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby FPCCOS » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:13 am

In the Sultanate of FPCCOS, children at the age of puberty and above can vote.

Nordengrund
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nordengrund » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:13 am

What say you?

I agree with it for the most part, but the children should be educated about the different candidates so they do not vote for crummy politicians.
1 John 1:9

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:14 am

What say you?

All you have done is change the magic age from 18 to 9.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Xeng He
Minister

Founded: Nov 14, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Xeng He » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:14 am

Enh. The system seems a little overcomplicated to me.

And if we're just giving parents an extra vote at the start, as you basically do, how does that improve child rights...at all?

I really, really, do not care a whit about voting rights in and of themselves, so...again, I'd go ahead and support some sort of testing being necessary for anyone, adults included, to vote.
Blazedtown wrote:[an ism is] A term used by people who won't admit their true beliefs, or don't have any.
[spoiler=Quotes]
Galloism: ...social media is basically cancer. I’d like to reiterate that social media is bringing the downfall of society in a lot of ways.
I'm Not Telling You It's Going to Be Easy, I'm Telling You It's Going to be Worth It.
Oh my god this comic

Southern Patriots
Senator

Founded: Apr 19, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Southern Patriots » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:14 am

I see where you're coming from, but I disagree with it. Seems like a bad idea.

Remember Rhodesia.

On Robert Mugabe:
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:He was a former schoolteacher.

I do hope it wasn't in economics.

Panzerjaeger wrote:Why would Cleopatra have cornrows? She is from Egypt not the goddamn Bronx.

Ceannairceach wrote:
Archnar wrote:The Russian Revolution showed a revolution could occure in a quick bloadless and painless process (Nobody was seriously injured or killed).

I doth protest in the name of the Russian Imperial family!
(WIP)

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:14 am

Lancaster of Wessex wrote:Terrible idea.

Kids (the majority of them anyway) do not have the experience or exposure to the complexities of modern societies and political situations to be able to cast a vote efficiently.

This.

And do both parents get an extra vote? I believe that two-parent families are still the norm, though I admit that I didn't watch the news last night or this morning.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Ovisterra
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ovisterra » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:14 am

Big Jim P wrote:

What say you?

All you have done is change the magic age from 18 to 9.

If the line has to be drawn via age (which is a problem in itself), 18 is too high.
Removing the text from people's sigs doesn't make it any less true. I stand with Yalta.

Torvald
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Torvald » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:16 am

You can judge whether this is a good or a bad thing for yourselves.
Last year, as part of my Politics A-Level, our set ran a mock election. It was meant to be just sixth form, but we persuaded the teacher to expand it to year 11 as well.

Every single Year 11 Tutor Group Constituency chose the BNP.
Vote in my elections!

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Founded: May 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:17 am

Not a very good idea in my opinion, and much less have the parents be involved in something as important to society as the individuality of vote.

The Holy Twig
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Holy Twig » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:17 am

Torvald wrote:You can judge whether this is a good or a bad thing for yourselves.
Last year, as part of my Politics A-Level, our set ran a mock election. It was meant to be just sixth form, but we persuaded the teacher to expand it to year 11 as well.

Every single Year 11 Tutor Group Constituency chose the BNP.

I'd think because the BNP's propaganda appeals best to young people. (Of course, I know nothing about British politics being a dumb American myself, so w/e)

They said I could do anything I wanted to do, so I argue with strangers on the internet.
Ceannairceach wrote:I am looking for a girl with >5% genetic relation to me. Must be dtf, blond, big butt.

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:17 am

Better idea, eliminate any age restrictions on voting. Allow any person who wishes to express a political opinion (and meets any other requirements) to register and vote on their own behalf. Do not allow proxy voting.
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Adenian
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Adenian » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:18 am

Yeah, yeah! And next we'll have Kids running the United States of America, the world's largest military power! It'll be great!
/Sarcasm

Just, no. I dont even have to say what's wrong with this since it's been outlined above me in every post against it. Sure, it sounds like a good idea, but i know from fact being 16, that if Children were to vote, especially 9 year olds, We'd have a kitten for president.
The Kingdom of Adenia
Please, Refer to me as "Aden", casually.

Yes, I am a furry.
I am the Pope of Holy Furryism.

Tubbsalot
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Tubbsalot » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:18 am

Eh. The democratic system should be structured in such a way as to maximise positive outcomes. Would juvenile suffrage increase the tendency toward those outcomes?

It might increase the vote spread across the parties, fostering the development of more than two serious parties, thereby placating those who demand political representation. But then, young voters exhibit more extreme voting tendencies, so you might see e.g. more powerful fascist parties rather than/as well as more powerful libertarian parties.

Lancaster of Wessex wrote:Kids (the majority of them anyway) do not have the experience or exposure to the complexities of modern societies and political situations to be able to cast a vote efficiently.

Mm, thank god most people have the faintest clue what sort of policies we should be pursuing. Without the sensible democratic decisionmaking of the adult population, we might not have constant agitation for a return to the gold fucking standard. And where would we be then.
"Twats love flags." - Yootopia

Serrland
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Serrland » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:18 am

Well, that's one way to solve Europe's birth rate problems. I'm sure the crazy fringe parties in particular will urge all their members to have lots and lots of children - mothers will no longer be mothers but rather walking, talking voter factories.

Wamitoria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wamitoria » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:19 am

Lancaster of Wessex wrote:Kids (the majority of them anyway) do not have the experience or exposure to the complexities of modern societies and political situations to be able to cast a vote efficiently.

Neither do most adults.
Wonder where all the good posters went? Look no further!

Hurry, before the Summer Nazis show up again!

Silent Majority
Minister

Founded: Jun 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Silent Majority » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:19 am

(Scratch that, all teenagers) are incapable of intelligent or independent thought

Yes, lest make generalizations about millions of people based solely on their age.
“It is the ultimate irony of history that radical individualism serves as the ideological justification of the unconstrained power of what the large majority of individuals experience as a vast anonymous power, which, without any democratic public control, regulates their lives.”
― Slavoj Žižek

Xeng He
Minister

Founded: Nov 14, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Xeng He » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:19 am

The Holy Twig wrote:Because children are good at critical thinking.

And adults are?

These are a group of people that have members among them who believe Obama was born in Kenya. Seriously.

I
So a family with five children will have more of a political say than a family with 1 child or none? Let's also reinstate the law where, in the US, black people's votes are counted for less than one.

...you are dead on with this, actually.

"Vote Sarah Palin in 2016 for unicorns and puppies"

The parent could counter that with their half, and both sides can use that kind of thing.

Children (and most teenagers) (Scratch that, all teenagers) are incapable of intelligent or independent thought. Ideally, nobody would be able to vote under the age of 21 or without at least a high school education.

And your proof of this intelligent, independently generated idea is...?
Blazedtown wrote:[an ism is] A term used by people who won't admit their true beliefs, or don't have any.
[spoiler=Quotes]
Galloism: ...social media is basically cancer. I’d like to reiterate that social media is bringing the downfall of society in a lot of ways.
I'm Not Telling You It's Going to Be Easy, I'm Telling You It's Going to be Worth It.
Oh my god this comic

The Holy Twig
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Holy Twig » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:19 am

Adenian wrote:Yeah, yeah! And next we'll have Kids running the United States of America, the world's largest military power! It'll be great!
/Sarcasm

Just, no. I dont even have to say what's wrong with this since it's been outlined above me in every post against it. Sure, it sounds like a good idea, but i know from fact being 16, that if Children were to vote, especially 9 year olds, We'd have a kitten for president.

I would vote a kitten for president.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General