NATION

PASSWORD

What is your opinion on same sex marriage?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Your thoughts on same sex marriage?

I am for it because it allows more freedom.
26%
I am for it because I think it is wrong to deny people the right to stabilize any form of relationship.
44%
I am not for it because it clashes with my personal values.
10%
I am not for it because I do not think it is natural.
6%
I am for it for another reason not listed here. (Please specify.)
8%
I am not for it for another reason not listed here. (Please specify.)
6%

Total votes : 375

Haydenish People
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

What is your opinion on same sex marriage?

Postby Haydenish People » Wed May 09, 2012 3:46 pm

Yes, I realize there are now hundreds of same sex marriage threads floating around this forum. I get that. But I want to know what your opinion is.

I support same-sex marriage. It's not wrong it any way. I personally don't see any problem with allowing people to be in a same-sex relationship if it is stable and loving. However, and I don't mean to offend anyone, I just don't think it is natural for one person to be in a relationship with another person of the same gender. Again, I mean no harm by saying this. If I have offended anyone, I sincerely apologize.

So, NationStates, what's your view?
Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: 7.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.56
Political Test

Read it. Read it now.
"There are three kinds of lies in the world: lies, damn lies and statistics."-Mark Twain

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Wed May 09, 2012 3:59 pm

The only just and right opinion, of course; I support the rights of the homosexuals, bisexuals, and allies in all aspects during their struggle to gain equality.

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Wed May 09, 2012 4:04 pm

I've said it before and I'll say it again, well within my parents' lifetime, it would have been illegal in certain states for my wife and I to marry. 11 years before I was born that was finally overturned and now no one thinks twice about a mixed race couple.

Who am I to deny the same right to two consenting adults regardless of their sex?

I've also yet to hear of any reason why they shouldn't that holds any appreciable amount of water.
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Wed May 09, 2012 4:07 pm

NERVUN wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again, well within my parents' lifetime, it would have been illegal in certain states for my wife and I to marry. 11 years before I was born that was finally overturned and now no one thinks twice about a mixed race couple.

Who am I to deny the same right to two consenting adults regardless of their sex?

I've also yet to hear of any reason why they shouldn't that holds any appreciable amount of water.

The metaphorical argument cup is truly just a funnel; You pour water in, it pours back out.

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Williamson
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Williamson » Wed May 09, 2012 4:08 pm

it should be legal because it is agaisnt the constiotion

Divair
Khan of Spam

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Wed May 09, 2012 4:08 pm

For it. Freedom ftw.

Wazkyraque
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Wazkyraque » Wed May 09, 2012 4:09 pm

Being a homosexual man, I think my opinion's rather obvious.
"Everything takes time. Bees have to move very fast to stay still."

Divair
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Wed May 09, 2012 4:10 pm

Mexica wrote:In the bible it says marrige should only be bewteen i man and i women. It is not what God wants

I give no shits what a book says you should believe.

Now what?

Sabre
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sabre » Wed May 09, 2012 4:10 pm

I have nothing against it, I can't see that it's somehow 'bad'.
I do have some sympathy towards some of the religious and traditionalists that would prefer to keep the word 'marriage' as the traditional man/woman term. It doesn't affect, or bother me at all, but I can see how it might trouble them.
What's with the complete idiot that constantly reports threads to the Moderation forum? Mostly just wasting Mods' time over nothing at all. You know who you are, weirdo.

Haydenish People
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Haydenish People » Wed May 09, 2012 4:11 pm

Sabre wrote:I have nothing against it, I can't see that it's somehow 'bad'.
I do have some sympathy towards some of the religious and traditionalists that would prefer to keep the word 'marriage' as the traditional man/woman term. It doesn't affect, or bother me at all, but I can see how it might trouble them.

My thoughts exactly.
Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: 7.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.56
Political Test

Read it. Read it now.
"There are three kinds of lies in the world: lies, damn lies and statistics."-Mark Twain

Divair
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Wed May 09, 2012 4:11 pm

OP, can you merge the "for" and "against"?

Less details in poll = more discussion.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Wed May 09, 2012 4:11 pm

Mexica wrote:In the bible it says marrige should only be bewteen i man and i women. It is not what God wants

Why should I care about what your god says?
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

New Genoa
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby New Genoa » Wed May 09, 2012 4:11 pm

I have no problem with it because I'm not a bossy dick who likes meddling in other people's lives.
Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality?

For death and glory? For Rohan.

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Wed May 09, 2012 4:12 pm

What your unproven god wants has no bearing on what is or what should be.

@}-;-'---

Vorograd
Envoy

Founded: Mar 29, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Vorograd » Wed May 09, 2012 4:13 pm

Vorogradian Embassy Charter
Olthar wrote:Sorry, I've never been that interested in baseball, but I'm sure it was all the goalie's fault.
Desperate Measures wrote:Everybody know that Jesus was hatched from a pine cone. Grace to thee, Blessed Firgin.
Sovetsky Europe wrote:Shouted Sic Semper Tyrannis after killing a rabbit in the forests near Vaasa, Finland.
The Holy Twig wrote:Theism says "Oh I know! My book says so!" whereas atheism says "Well fuck, I don't have all the answers, I'm going to get some more pot."

Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Wed May 09, 2012 4:14 pm

If marriage is really such a "sacred" matrimonial union between a man and a woman then divorce should not be legal. But it is and folks like my heterosexual parents divorced anyway; my mom thought so highly of the practice that she did it twice.

So, yes, I believe homosexuals have every right to the same privilege of misery the rest of us enjoy. There is no single rational reason why they shouldn't be extended the same rights, privileges and obligations.
Problem to Report?
Game-side: Getting Help
Forum-side: Moderation
Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

The Jahistic Unified Republic
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Jahistic Unified Republic » Wed May 09, 2012 4:14 pm

I am pretty sure that God doesn't really give a crap about gays anymore. I am against it to spare homosexuals the pure pains of marriage <3 (joking. I'm apathetic towards the situation)

<Koyro> (Democratic Koyro) NSG senate is a glaring example of why no one in NSG should ever have a position of authority
The Emerald Dawn wrote:"Considering Officer Krupke was patently idiotic to charge these young men in the first place, we're dropping the charges in the interest of not wasting any more of the Judiciary's time with farcical charges brought by officers who require more training on basic legal principles."

Baseball is Best Sport. Life long StL Fan.

Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Wed May 09, 2012 4:15 pm

Williamson wrote:it should be legal because it is agaisnt the constiotion

I'm for this. For the hilarity.
"My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music."
- Vladimir Nabokov US (1899 - 1977)
Also, me.
“Man has such a predilection for systems and abstract deductions that he is ready to distort the truth intentionally, he is ready to deny the evidence of his senses only to justify his logic”
- Fyodor Dostoyevsky Russian Novelist and Writer, 1821-1881
"All Clock Faces Are Wrong." - Gene Ray, Prophet(?) http://www.timecube.com
A simplified maxim on the subject states "An atheist would say, 'I don't believe God exists'; an agnostic would say, 'I don't know whether or not God exists'; and an ignostic would say, 'I don't know what you mean when you say, "God exists" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism

Wisconsin7
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin7 » Wed May 09, 2012 4:15 pm

As long as you're not trying to oppress, injure, kill, or take advantage of someone else, I support you. I may not like you, but....
R.I.P. 1000 Cats

I am a straight 14 year old male atheistic Communist vegan loner. If you have a problem with any of this, I only request that you stay the fuck away from me. If you have questions about atheism or Communism, ask someone else, because there's a 99% chance they can explain it better. If you have questions about veganism, or are yourself a vegan, send me a TG, because I fear that I am the only one on NSG.

Demons run when a good man goes to war
Night will fall and drown in sun
When a good man goes to war

Friendship dies and true love lies
Night will fall and the dark will rise
When a good man goes to war

Demons run, but count the cost
The battle's won, but the child is lost

Southern Patriots
Senator

Founded: Apr 19, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Southern Patriots » Wed May 09, 2012 4:17 pm

Divair wrote:

I give no shits what a book says you should believe.

Now what?

Heh, tone your edginess down a bit. Not sure if the forum can take it. ;)

Scratch that, your edginess was outdone by the post above mine.
Last edited by Southern Patriots on Wed May 09, 2012 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Remember Rhodesia.

On Robert Mugabe:
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:He was a former schoolteacher.

I do hope it wasn't in economics.

Panzerjaeger wrote:Why would Cleopatra have cornrows? She is from Egypt not the goddamn Bronx.

Ceannairceach wrote:
Archnar wrote:The Russian Revolution showed a revolution could occure in a quick bloadless and painless process (Nobody was seriously injured or killed).

I doth protest in the name of the Russian Imperial family!
(WIP)

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Wed May 09, 2012 4:17 pm

Mexica wrote:
Divair wrote:I give no shits what a book says you should believe.

Now what?

It going to be funny when Jeues comes back and kicks your ass

[Insert Jesus and twelve guys joke here]

@}-;-'---

Vorograd
Envoy

Founded: Mar 29, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Vorograd » Wed May 09, 2012 4:18 pm

Mexica wrote:

Now what?

AND LO!

THE TROLLS HATH COME!
Vorogradian Embassy Charter
Olthar wrote:Sorry, I've never been that interested in baseball, but I'm sure it was all the goalie's fault.
Desperate Measures wrote:Everybody know that Jesus was hatched from a pine cone. Grace to thee, Blessed Firgin.
Sovetsky Europe wrote:Shouted Sic Semper Tyrannis after killing a rabbit in the forests near Vaasa, Finland.
The Holy Twig wrote:Theism says "Oh I know! My book says so!" whereas atheism says "Well fuck, I don't have all the answers, I'm going to get some more pot."

Wazkyraque
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Wazkyraque » Wed May 09, 2012 4:18 pm

Mexica wrote:

Now what?

Yes, because we all know that's exactly the sort of thing he was known for.
"Everything takes time. Bees have to move very fast to stay still."

The Dictatorship POD
Minister

Founded: Sep 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dictatorship POD » Wed May 09, 2012 4:18 pm

I do believe all Homosexuals should be lined against the wall and shot or stuck in labor camps.
Defensive Condition
Current Def-con level: Def-Con 0
Apply for embassies here
EFEC member.
Allies

Divair
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Wed May 09, 2012 4:18 pm

Mexica wrote:

Now what?

Because we all know that's TOTALLY going to happen.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General