NATION

PASSWORD

Teen's depiction of a family causes trouble

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:56 am

If there wasn't any actual intent behind it then it shouldn't be censored.
It sounds like its harmless.

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:06 am

Well they let Brother Jed (a preacher that's a bit out there) on Texas Tech so...but that's a douche move they did over some mural.

The Merchant Republics
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Merchant Republics » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:10 am

Oh no! Please don't paint a stable and happy family. That might offend people with bad parents...

It's really a sad day when a traditional, married family is seen as a tool of repression. I fully support her artistic license here, though I understand it is the school's property and they have final say, it's worrisome that they would be offended by such a thing.
Your Resident Gentleman and Libertarian; presently living in the People's Republic of China, which is if anyone from the Party asks "The Best and Also Only China".
Christian Libertarian Autarchist: like an Anarchist but with more "Aut".
Social: Authoritarian/Libertarian (-8.55)
Economic: Left/Right (7.55)
We are the premiere of civilization, the beacon of liberty, the font of prosperity and the ever illuminating light of culture in this hellish universe.
In short: Elitist Wicked Cultured Free Market Anarchists living in a Diesel-Deco World.

Now Fearing: Mandarin Lessons from Cantonese teachers.
Factbook (FT)|Art Gallery|Embassy Program

Veblenia
Minister

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Veblenia » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:42 am

For what it's worth, the decision was reversed and the student will be allowed to finish the mural as planned.

I'm at a loss to understand what provoked the original complaint, but this is not "PC run amok". This is the questionable (and unexplained) decision of one school administrator. Cooler heads prevailed; not, unfortunately, before this nonstory became a global rallying cry for the sorts of people that would like to see this normative conception of family rigidly enforced.

EDIT: This might also explain why Rhode Island school officials were a bit jumpy about murals and religion.

Reuters wrote:U.S. District Judge Ronald Lagueux rejected in his ruling on Wednesday the school's claims that the message in the mural, which opens with "Our Heavenly Father" and closes with "Amen," was purely secular. "No amount of debate can make the School Prayer anything other than a prayer, and a Christian one at that," Lagueux wrote in a 40-page opinion.
Last edited by Veblenia on Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Political Compass: -6.62, -7.69
"Freedom is a horizon in which we continually re-negotiate the terms of our own subjugation."
- Michel Foucault

Aquophia
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Aquophia » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:08 pm

Hey guys, I decided to do my own version of the painting, only make it as politically correct as possible. Hope it doesnt offend anyone, as I tried really hard not to.
Last edited by Aquophia on Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:23 pm

This sounds like something blown way out of proportion by the media. While possibly stupid, the details are so scant - even where I follow links - it's hard to know the extent of any 'controversy' over the painting. It doesn't seem to be around gay couples either but more broken families.

As someone earlier stated, this sort of story is fuel for outrage engineered but by the media not the school nor pupil, and damages clear debate on any issue.

From what I can ascertain, out of concern for children from non-traditional views of family, it was questioned as to whether this painting was suitable and the issue was reasonably resolved.. suddenly it's a wedge point..

We've better things to do.

Hadleys Hope wrote:tabloid article. shark-jumping site.

move on.

..or, more succinctly, that..
Last edited by Bombadil on Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Simon Cowell of the RR
Minister

Founded: May 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Simon Cowell of the RR » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:26 pm

I don't get it.
Also, bonobos.
Yes, I might be trolling. No, not like the guy who created the thread about towel heads.
I troll by making even the most outlandish opinions sound reasonable. The question is, am I doing that here?

Cill Charthaigh
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cill Charthaigh » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:41 pm

Aquophia wrote:Hey guys, I decided to do my own version of the painting, only make it as politically correct as possible. Hope it doesnt offend anyone, as I tried really hard not to.

It's going to offend black. Enjoy 2008 hours of sensitivity training.
According to OnTheIssues, I'm a moderate libertarian.
Political Compass - Economic Left/Right: -1.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.10

Cill Charthaigh is currently in the year 1984, beginning in the year 1968. On the 2nd of every month, Cill Charthaigh advances by one year.

"Cill Charthaigh I love you. Show us the light, LORD AND SAVIOR" - NSG

please guys give me some love hmmmbbbbb

Let me guess, someone stole your sweet roll?

AT LAST I HAVE RETURNED FROM MY TRAVELS TO REDDIT. I return reformed!

AETEN II
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby AETEN II » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:03 pm

Aquophia wrote:Hey guys, I decided to do my own version of the painting, only make it as politically correct as possible. Hope it doesnt offend anyone, as I tried really hard not to.

I'm white, and I find that whiteness offensive.
"Quod Vult, Valde Valt"

Excuse me, sir. Seeing as how the V.P. is such a V.I.P., shouldn't we keep the P.C. on the Q.T.? 'Cause if it leaks to the V.C. he could end up M.I.A., and then we'd all be put out in K.P.

Nationstatelandsville wrote:"Why'd the chicken cross the street?"

"Because your dad's a whore."

"...He died a week ago."

"Of syphilis, I bet."

Best Gif on the internet.

Karonmo
Envoy

Founded: Oct 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Karonmo » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:48 pm

And now on the next episode of Americans: Fucking insanity again
5:peace