NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Repeal "Double Jeopardy Prohibition"

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

New Mazovia
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby New Mazovia » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:49 pm

Oh yeah! Let's repeal all of the old resolutions. :clap: They're too short and clear. Let's change them into longer with more exceptions and exceptions from exceptions and then let's clarify how to interpret and not to interpret all of them.

Anyway, more votes are to repeal, so I'm going to vote FOR new Double Jeopardy Prohibition resolution, provided it won't be against general sense of double jeopardy ban.

Alqania
Minister

Founded: Aug 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Alqania » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:51 am

"I would like to announce that the Queendom has voted for this resolution and that we have resumed drafting on our replacement", Lord Raekevik stated.
Queendom of Alqania
Amor vincit omnia et nos cedamus amori
Former Speaker of the Gay Regional Parliament
Represented in the WA by Ambassador Lord Raekevikinfo
and Deputy Ambassador Princess Christineinfo
Author of GA#178
Member of UNOG and the Stonewall Alliance

Nationalist Alliance
Civil Servant

Founded: Apr 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationalist Alliance » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:01 am

We all stand united!!!

Moronist Decisions
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2008
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Moronist Decisions » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:03 am

We congratulate Ambassador Eberhart and the delegation from Mallorea and Riva for their successful repeal, and laments the fact that the Queleshian delegation has decided to resubmit this without any reflection or significant edits, or forum discussion.
Note: Unless specifically specified, my comments shall be taken as those purely of Moronist Decisions and do not represent the views of the Republic/Region of Europeia.

Member of Europeia
Ideological Bulwark #255
IntSane: International Sanity for All

Author of GAR#194, GAR#198 and GAR#203.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:10 am

Moronist Decisions wrote:We congratulate Ambassador Eberhart and the delegation from Mallorea and Riva for their successful repeal, and laments the fact that the Queleshian delegation has decided to resubmit this without any reflection or significant edits, or forum discussion.

We thank The Lion for their support in this matter and ALSO stand strongly opposed to the resubmission by the Queleshian delegation.

As there is no forum thread for the resubmitted text, I shall include it here for the perusal of those who had originally stood In Support of the original resolution's repeal.

Double Jeopardy Prohibition
A resolution to improve worldwide human and civil rights.
Category: Human Rights | Strength: Significant | Proposed by: Quelesh

Description: The World Assembly,

APPALLED by the practice of double jeopardy, or trying an individual more than once for the same alleged offense;

CONVINCED that freedom from this unjust practice is a cornerstone of any fair criminal justice system;

SEEKING to put an end to this injustice;

hereby MANDATES the following, subject to any limitations existing in prior international law:

1. Once an individual has been finally acquitted or convicted, or a functional equivalent thereof, of a crime, member states shall not try that individual for the same alleged criminal act again, except in accordance with clause 2 of this resolution.

2. Member states may vacate an individual's conviction of a crime and grant the individual a new trial for that crime. If the individual is again convicted of the crime, the new sentence shall not be more severe than the old sentence, and any conditions of the old sentence that have been met shall count toward the completion of the new sentence.

3. Member states may choose to not pursue a retrial of an individual whose conviction of a crime has been vacated in accordance with clause 2. In such cases, the individual's criminal sentence for the crime must be immediately terminated.

Notable limits of this text include the fact that WA Member States ARE NOT allowed to retry those who are acquitted, even if the individual in question stands up and proclaims "HAHA! I DID IT!" after they are acquitted. While there are some changes to the now-repealed resolution, they are minimal at best, and they fail to acknowledge most of the objections made in the repeal text itself.

I will work to campaign AGAINST this proposal, should it reach quorum or a vote, and if it - somehow - manages to pass ...

Yours,
Nikolas Eberhart
Ambassador from the Doctoral Monkey Feet of Mousebumples
WA Delegate for Monkey Island
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Dagguerro
Envoy

Founded: Apr 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Dagguerro » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:17 am

Congratulations on a successful repeal of this poor piece of legislation.

Moronist Decisions wrote:...and laments the fact that the Queleshian delegation has decided to resubmit this without any reflection or significant edits, or forum discussion.

Indeed? How tiresome...

Mousebumples wrote:I will work to campaign AGAINST this proposal, should it reach quorum or a vote, and if it - somehow - manages to pass ...

And we shall vote against the proposal and support your repeal if necessary, Ambassador.
Patrician Lord Nicholas Ashemore - Elected Supreme Leader of The Benevolent Empire of Dagguerro

His Excellency Lord Daniel Swift - Dagguerrean Ambassador to the World Assembly

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:47 am

Moronist Decisions wrote:the Queleshian delegation has decided to resubmit this without any reflection or significant edits

"Is doing that actually legal?"
:blink:
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Quelesh
Minister

Founded: Jun 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Quelesh » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:50 am

Moronist Decisions wrote:We congratulate Ambassador Eberhart and the delegation from Mallorea and Riva for their successful repeal, and laments the fact that the Queleshian delegation has decided to resubmit this without any reflection or significant edits, or forum discussion.

Actually, there have been three notable changes, including the addition of "finally acquitted," to allow for prosecution appeals of not guilty verdicts. The submitted proposal does now have a thread, though.

Mousebumples wrote:even if the individual in question stands up and proclaims "HAHA! I DID IT!" after they are acquitted.

Oh come now. When has that ever happened? I have never heard of anyone being so stupid by inviting vigilante justice upon herself in such a manner. (OOC: I have never heard of this ever happening in the United States or any other RL country that bans double jeopardy. At most, it is extremely rare, if not actually nonexistent.)

Alexandria Yadoru
Quelesian WA ambassador
"I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am." - Samuel Johnson

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
Political Compass | Economic Left/Right: -7.75 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -10.00

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:51 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Moronist Decisions wrote:the Queleshian delegation has decided to resubmit this without any reflection or significant edits

It doesn't matter if it's legal or not, at least the Queleshian delegation has the "moral courage" to do it!
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Quelesh
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Quelesh » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:52 am

Bears Armed wrote:

Yes. It would have been legal to submit the exact same proposal text, but, despite what the Moronist ambassador said, three significant edits were made prior to resubmission.

Alexandria Yadoru
Quelesian WA ambassador
"I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am." - Samuel Johnson

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
Political Compass | Economic Left/Right: -7.75 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -10.00

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:59 am

Quelesh wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:"Is doing that actually legal?"

Yes. It would have been legal to submit the exact same proposal text, but, despite what the Moronist ambassador said, three significant edits were made prior to resubmission.

Alexandria Yadoru
Quelesian WA ambassador

None of which actually addressed the major concerns of those who were speaking out against the proposal.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Quelesh
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Quelesh » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:03 am

Mallorea and Riva wrote:
Quelesh wrote:Yes. It would have been legal to submit the exact same proposal text, but, despite what the Moronist ambassador said, three significant edits were made prior to resubmission.

None of which actually addressed the major concerns of those who were speaking out against the proposal.

My edits certainly address the concern about prosecution appeals. However, I have "addressed" the concern about retrials based upon "new evidence" by asserting that such retrials are immoral and unjust and should not be allowed, and I certainly do not intend to allow for them.

Alexandria Yadoru
Quelesian WA ambassador

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:06 am

Quelesh wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:None of which actually addressed the major concerns of those who were speaking out against the proposal.

My edits certainly address the concern about prosecution appeals. However, I have "addressed" the concern about retrials based upon "new evidence" by asserting that such retrials are immoral and unjust and should not be allowed, and I certainly do not intend to allow for them.

Alexandria Yadoru
Quelesian WA ambassador

Your edits failed to address any such concerns. Your conviction that you were Right and Just, and that every other member state's legal system must be Corrupt and Wrong caused your blindness to the problems that glared so clearly to the other representatives.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Quelesh
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Quelesh » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:29 am

Mallorea and Riva wrote:
Quelesh wrote:My edits certainly address the concern about prosecution appeals. However, I have "addressed" the concern about retrials based upon "new evidence" by asserting that such retrials are immoral and unjust and should not be allowed, and I certainly do not intend to allow for them.

Your edits failed to address any such concerns. Your conviction that you were Right and Just, and that every other member state's legal system must be Corrupt and Wrong caused your blindness to the problems that glared so clearly to the other representatives.

Are you saying that the "finally acquitted" wording does not allow for prosecution appeals of not guilty verdicts?

Alexandria Yadoru
Quelesian WA ambassador

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:32 am

Quelesh wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:Your edits failed to address any such concerns. Your conviction that you were Right and Just, and that every other member state's legal system must be Corrupt and Wrong caused your blindness to the problems that glared so clearly to the other representatives.

Are you saying that the "finally acquitted" wording does not allow for prosecution appeals of not guilty verdicts?

Alexandria Yadoru
Quelesian WA ambassador

The infinite loop cycle that the ambassador from Sanctaria has pointed out creates a rather new and interesting problem, based in the same issues as before, namely a lack of appropriate wording and time spent drafting.
Ideological Bulwark #253

Merfurian
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 25, 2012
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Merfurian » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:48 am

Quelesh wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:Your edits failed to address any such concerns. Your conviction that you were Right and Just, and that every other member state's legal system must be Corrupt and Wrong caused your blindness to the problems that glared so clearly to the other representatives.

Alexandria Yadoru
Quelesian WA ambassador

er...yes. I think that is what the ambassador is very plainly stating. Finally aquitted = not able to appeal said acquittal, does it not, or have the custodians of the English language rewritten the definition of "finality of acquittal"?
Issued from the Desk of the Very Honourable and Most Loyal Doctor Jonas K. Lazareedes LLD PC FJSCU FPC, FPAC(CI)ACCA Presidential Counsel
Former Justice of the Supreme Court of the Union, Former President of Appeals Chamber I of an Autonomous Court of Appeal, Most Loyal Counsellor and Advisor to the President of the Federal Republic (Member of the Federal Privy Council) Ambassador to the World Assembly
NOTE: I am gay, and I have asperger syndrome. My social skills are rubbish.

Quelesh
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Quelesh » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:07 am

Mallorea and Riva wrote:The infinite loop cycle that the ambassador from Sanctaria has pointed out creates a rather new and interesting problem, based in the same issues as before, namely a lack of appropriate wording and time spent drafting.

The "infinite loop cycle" that you point out (1) isn't an infinite loop and (2) falls afoul of Reasonable Nation Theory, as I explain in the other thread.

Merfurian wrote:
Quelesh wrote:Are you saying that the "finally acquitted" wording does not allow for prosecution appeals of not guilty verdicts?

er...yes. I think that is what the ambassador is very plainly stating. Finally aquitted = not able to appeal said acquittal, does it not, or have the custodians of the English language rewritten the definition of "finality of acquittal"?

A retrial can be conducted so long as the acquittal is not final. That is, once a person has been found not guilty, the prosecution can appeal that verdict, and, if the original not guilty verdict is overturned, the state can put her on trial again, so long as her original acquittal was not final.

Alexandria Yadoru
Quelesian WA ambassador

Merfurian
Chargé d'Affaires

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Merfurian » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:25 am

Quelesh wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:The infinite loop cycle that the ambassador from Sanctaria has pointed out creates a rather new and interesting problem, based in the same issues as before, namely a lack of appropriate wording and time spent drafting.

The "infinite loop cycle" that you point out (1) isn't an infinite loop and (2) falls afoul of Reasonable Nation Theory, as I explain in the other thread.

Merfurian wrote:

A retrial can be conducted so long as the acquittal is not final. That is, once a person has been found not guilty, the prosecution can appeal that verdict, and, if the original not guilty verdict is overturned, the state can put her on trial again, so long as her original acquittal was not final.

Alexandria Yadoru
Quelesian WA ambassador

That second argument is odd, ambassador. In the original proposal (and the reason why I vehemently opposed it) you flatly outlawed trial de novo. Now, you are seeking to legalize it again. Please, do one or the other, not both, and kindly give an explanation to put my mind at ease.

Klause Uliyan
etc
Issued from the Desk of the Very Honourable and Most Loyal Doctor Jonas K. Lazareedes LLD PC FJSCU FPC, FPAC(CI)ACCA Presidential Counsel
Former Justice of the Supreme Court of the Union, Former President of Appeals Chamber I of an Autonomous Court of Appeal, Most Loyal Counsellor and Advisor to the President of the Federal Republic (Member of the Federal Privy Council) Ambassador to the World Assembly

Quelesh
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Quelesh » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:35 pm

Merfurian wrote:That second argument is odd, ambassador. In the original proposal (and the reason why I vehemently opposed it) you flatly outlawed trial de novo. Now, you are seeking to legalize it again. Please, do one or the other, not both, and kindly give an explanation to put my mind at ease.

It was never my intention to entirely outlaw prosecution appeals of not guilty verdicts. The addition of the word "finally" merely clarifies that position, and that this proposal does not in fact prohibit prosecution appeals, so long as those appeals are conducted before the acquittal becomes final.

Alexandria Yadoru
Quelesian WA ambassador

Merfurian
Chargé d'Affaires

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Merfurian » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:49 am

Quelesh wrote:
Merfurian wrote:That second argument is odd, ambassador. In the original proposal (and the reason why I vehemently opposed it) you flatly outlawed trial de novo. Now, you are seeking to legalize it again. Please, do one or the other, not both, and kindly give an explanation to put my mind at ease.

It was never my intention to entirely outlaw prosecution appeals of not guilty verdicts. The addition of the word "finally" merely clarifies that position, and that this proposal does not in fact prohibit prosecution appeals, so long as those appeals are conducted before the acquittal becomes final.

Alexandria Yadoru
Quelesian WA ambassador

What, then, was your original intention in DJP v1?

Damanucus
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 10, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Damanucus » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:19 am

Linard's hotline rang again. He hoped for good news this time. "Hello?"

"Your Imperialness, it's Stephanie Orman."

"Stephanie, you haven't called me Your Imperialness for...at all. No one does. It's either Emporer or Linard. Now, what's happened?"

"Double Jeopardy Prohibition has been repealed." A pause came over the line, although Stephanie could tell that Linard was fistpumping on the other end. "That said, there are replacements in the works. I've stated that I'll only support a replacement if it allows us to retrial parties should new evidence arise, or—"

"—Or there is evidence of court tampering," Linard finished. He knew the case too well. "Last thing we need is another Terrible Gang. Which reminds me, when those gnomes come around, I'm going to see if I can withhold the announcement of the repeal; last thing we need is the Terrible Gang going underground again."

"That would not be helpful, especially with replacements in the pipeline."

"By the way, is the Queleshi delegation submitting a replacement?"

"Of course."

"Will you be supporting it?"

Stephanie's shock was audible. "I can't believe you felt the need to ask. However, it will make interesting nighttime reading."

"I'm sure it will."

Detective Constable Rambahn Vishina's desk phone rang annoyingly, as it had for a long time after the close of Operation Umbridge. He put an end to its incessant ringing. "DC Vishina."

"Operation Umbridge has been reactivated," a mysterious voice came over the line. "Meet in Triolin immediately. I repeat, Umbridge is reactivated."

"And who gives this order?"

"Police Commissioner Gary Essex."

Rambahn stood immediately and saluted, much to his embarrassment. "Sir yes sir!" The phone clicked off when he realized what was happening. Still red with embarrassment, he quickly grabbed his jacket and left, passing DC Rachael Balliard's desk as he went. "Where're you going?" she asked.

"Umbridge is up again.
We are going to Triolin."

"The Bank of Damanucus main vault!?" Rachael whispered, obviously surprised.

"Ultimate sign of contempt against the system," Detective Sergeant Brian Keep explained. "They get away with this, they show a sign that they can do anything, and no-one can touch them."

"Makes se—!" Rachael was quick to remain quiet, as the vault door started to budge open. Out came the entire group: Teribius Castro, Thomas Briggs, Lisa Briggs, Josef Briggs, Karl Kroenen, and Jane Grey. They each held in their hands a small pistol and a bag so full that the outline of their contents (gold and Damanucan liras) was visible.

The gang immediately stopped when they heard, "Hold it right there; you are surrounded."

The gang put all their carried items on the ground, their faces cut across with a somewhat knowing smile. As the officers gathered around the gang, Police Commissioner Gary Essex approached Teribius himself. "So this is 'Terrible' Castro?"

"Commissioner," Teribius chimed. "So great to finally meet you. I would so hate to be an inconvenience to you, but I'm sure you'll realize that any court case will just end up with us walking free regardless, don't you? So why don't we just save ourselves a bit of time and let my gang walk free?"

Gary smiled, then turned to his fellow officers. "Make sure they go in separate vans."

Teribius smiled as he was lead away.

The case lasted two days. Every little detail was heard and questioned. Although the defense, for some reason, asked very few questions, and did very little cross-examination.

The final verdict was the most anticipated part of the trial, and everyone was hoping for a guilty verdict. But as the foreman stood...

"What say you?" Judge Leslie Priest asked.

"We find the defendant, Teribius Castor, not guilty." And he went through the entire list, giving each member a 'not guilty' as he did. Shocks were evident across the gallery, and the gang just smiled.

A small, scrawny man entered the courtroom, bowed to the judge, then approached the prosecution desk, handing the prosecutor an envelope. He opened it, looked at its contents, then closed the envelope back up. He then stood. "Your Honour, I wish to appeal the sentence, as it has come to my attention that the jury has been bribed."

The defender stood. "Your Honour, as you and I know, while those who bribe the jury can be convicted, those who are acquitted cannot be retried."

"Then you obviously haven't read the paper," the Judge noted, and threw a copy at the lawyer.

Nomadic Enquirer

Double Jeopardy Prohibition Repealed. Double Jeopardy reinstated.

"Double jeopardy was reinstated to the books a week ago, two days before your clients' heist. They can, and will, be tried again for this crime. I'm allowing the appeal."

The gang sat at their bench. Caught. Teribius turned to his fellow members. "As long as they can keep up the suspicion that we were bribing the jury, this could go on for as long as they want. Let's just put in a guilty plea at the appeal, and save ourselves some pain."

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives