NATION

PASSWORD

Political Party's of Canada

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

What is your favourite Canadian Political Party?

Conservative - Stephen Harper
23%
Liberal - Michael Ignatife
25%
Bloc Québécois - Gilles Duceppe
2%
NDP - Jack Layton
26%
Green Party - Elizabeth May
2%
Christian Heritage - Ron Gray
2%
Marxist-Leninist - Anna Di Carlo
5%
Work Less - Conrad Schmidt
5%
Communist - Miguel Figueroa
5%
Other - Any other Canadian Political Party
7%

Total votes : 61

Vicious Storms
Spokesperson

Founded: May 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Political Party's of Canada

Postby Vicious Storms » Sat May 30, 2009 4:32 pm

What is your favourite Canadian Political Party?

You get too vote for 1 party. Have fun :) Debate & Discuss
Last edited by Vicious Storms on Sun May 31, 2009 6:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Franberry
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 09, 2005
Ex-Nation

Re: Political Party's of Canada

Postby Franberry » Sat May 30, 2009 4:42 pm

Libertarians, even if they're totally unorganized.
Death is better, a milder fate than tyranny.
-Aeschylus

Vicious Storms
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Vicious Storms » Sat May 30, 2009 4:55 pm

I was actually gonna put them on the poll instead of leaving them with other. But I think their the one I couldn't find the leader's name for.

Chetssaland
Senator

Founded: May 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Chetssaland » Sat May 30, 2009 5:03 pm

Conservitive. I didnt even know there was a communist party in Canada

Vicious Storms
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Vicious Storms » Sat May 30, 2009 5:07 pm

There are like 2 kids in my class that like the Communist part. im like wtf? lol

Franberry
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Franberry » Sat May 30, 2009 5:08 pm

Vicious Storms wrote:I was actually gonna put them on the poll instead of leaving them with other. But I think their the one I couldn't find the leader's name for.

Dennis Young

http://www.libertarian.ca/
-Aeschylus

Vicious Storms
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Vicious Storms » Sat May 30, 2009 5:10 pm

by Chetssaland » Sat May 30, 2009 7:03 pm

Idk who to vote for tbh. Conservative and NDP both have very well organized and great platforms.

Franberry
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Franberry » Sat May 30, 2009 5:11 pm

Vicious Storms wrote:
by Chetssaland » Sat May 30, 2009 7:03 pm

Idk who to vote for tbh. Conservative and NDP both have very well organized and great platforms.

In my opinion both of those parties are bad for Canada, however, Conservative is the lesser evil out of the three major parties.
-Aeschylus

Vicious Storms
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Vicious Storms » Sat May 30, 2009 5:13 pm

I can't stand the Libertarians, Bloc Quebecois, Green Party or Communists or the Liberals. I used to like the Liberals until they got stupid new leaders which brought them down to fail.

Franberry
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Franberry » Sat May 30, 2009 5:17 pm

Vote for Harper then.
-Aeschylus

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Sat May 30, 2009 5:30 pm

If I had to make a choice, based on the limited knowledge I have, I would reluctantly say the Liberals despite Ignatieff's apparent Neo-con leanings (about which I have deep misgivings). Harper's attack adds have lost him any real respect from me and I oppose his views on the justice system, while the NDP is too PC, pro-affirmative action, and pro-Union. And the Quebec sepperatists are just pathetic. The rest are (mostly radical and/or one-note by the sound of it) fringe parties.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - President Abraham Lincoln.

Franberry
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Franberry » Sat May 30, 2009 5:40 pm

Only true responsible choice is still Libertarian.
-Aeschylus

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Sat May 30, 2009 5:52 pm

Franberry wrote:Only true responsible choice is still Libertarian.

Just how Libertarian are we talking about? Because complete libertarianism would result in anarchy, correct? And anarchy ultimately equates to tyranny, as the power vacume of an unstructured society would rapidly be filled by the rule of the mob, crime, and might makes right.

Which is not to say that Canada is as free as I'd like it to be. I feel, for example, that a lot of hate speech/censorship type laws should probably be repealed. And before anyone tries to slander me, no, its not so I can go around acting like a bigot in public. I think that said laws may undermine their own cause by preventing an open debate on the issues, allowing bigots to play the victim card, driving them underground where their attitudes maybe more difficult to counter and where they may turn to action instead of mere speech, and encouraging government favoratism (ie, discrimination) among different groups due to the impossibility of censoring everything that some group finds offensive.

I also think we could stand the legalization of marijuana, and maybe prostitution as well.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - President Abraham Lincoln.

Vicious Storms
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Vicious Storms » Sat May 30, 2009 6:06 pm

The Liberals try to win over votes by jumping to immagrints to Canada. Once they come they treat them like royalty, and give them jobs over Canadian-Born people, if the immagrints vote for them in return. The Liberals could care less what their platform is, they just want the votes of bribing. Conservative actually treats us right and gives us more rights, wants more health & family & economical + enviromental things for our economy. NDP, well they actually state better points then the liberals. I used to like the liberals until they got a quebec leader who should of been with the Bloc Quebecois, then a leader who cant bother to live in canada so he moves to america. I've lost so much respect for the Liberals.

Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Sat May 30, 2009 6:56 pm

I vote NDP provincially and federally. I'm also a member of the party. :lol: Not to hard to guess who my favourites are.

Socially progressive, which is what I like. For the little guys!
Last edited by Kryozerkia on Sat May 30, 2009 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Problem to Report?
Game-side: Getting Help
Forum-side: Moderation
Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

Vicious Storms
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Vicious Storms » Sat May 30, 2009 7:00 pm

A member of the party? Cool. Mostly I go for Conservative, but ever since the liberals basically ruined themselves, i like Conservatives and NDP most I think.

Lancaster of Wessex
Senator

Founded: Feb 21, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Lancaster of Wessex » Sat May 30, 2009 7:02 pm

Vicious Storms wrote:A member of the party? Cool. Mostly I go for Conservative, but ever since the liberals basically ruined themselves, i like Conservatives and NDP most I think.

How is it you like two parties (e.g. NDP/Conservatives) that have largely diametrically opposed party platforms?

And as for the Liberals using "bribes" to immigrants and them taking jobs from "Canadian born," people can you please provide support for this opinion?
Last edited by Lancaster of Wessex on Sat May 30, 2009 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lancaster.
Duke of the Most Ancient and Noble House of Lancaster of Wessex

The Most High, Potent, and Noble Prince, Lancaster, By the Grace of God, Duke of Wessex, Protector of the Enclaved Pious Estates of The Church of Wessex, Lord of Saint Aldhelm Islands, Prince and Great Steward of Celtic Wessex, Keeper of the Great Seal of the Duchy and House of Lancaster of Wessex, Sovereign of the Most Ancient and Illustrious Order of the Gold Gryphon, etc.

Bluth Corporation
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 15, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bluth Corporation » Sat May 30, 2009 7:05 pm

Kryozerkia wrote:I vote NDP provincially and federally. I'm also a member of the party. :lol: Not to hard to guess who my favourites are.

Socially progressive, which is what I like. For the little guys!

I have yet to figure out how enslaving man to his fellow man qualifies as "progressive."
The Huge Mistake of Bluth Corporation
Capital: Newport Beach, Shostakovich | Starting Quarterback: Peyton Manning #18 | Company President: Michael Bluth

Champions of: World Bowl X

You should really be using Slackware

Vicious Storms
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Vicious Storms » Sat May 30, 2009 7:06 pm

by Lancaster of Wessex » Sat May 30, 2009 9:02 pm

Vicious Storms wrote:
A member of the party? Cool. Mostly I go for Conservative, but ever since the liberals basically ruined themselves, i like Conservatives and NDP most I think.

How is it you like two parties (e.g. NDP/Conservatives) that have largely diametrically opposed party platforms?

And as for the Liberals using "bribes" to immigrants and them taking jobs from "Canadian born," people can you please provide support for this opinion?

I don't mean like I cheer for both of them. But i'm saying they're my top 2. Like if I had to choose a top 2.

Long story short, in the city I live in there's an area that all votes Liberal because that area is for immagrants and they say "The Liberals did much for us in return of voting for them". I don't got much to support my opinion, but my opinion is from personal experiences like I just stated.

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Sat May 30, 2009 7:06 pm

Just how Libertarian are we talking about? Because complete libertarianism would result in anarchy, correct? And anarchy ultimately equates to tyranny, as the power vacume of an unstructured society would rapidly be filled by the rule of the mob, crime, and might makes right.

Franberry is an Anarchist. I am a Minarchist.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Sometimes, there really is money on the sidewalk.

Bluth Corporation
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 15, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bluth Corporation » Sat May 30, 2009 7:13 pm

The Romulan Republic wrote:And anarchy ultimately equates to tyranny, as the power vacume of an unstructured society would rapidly be filled by the rule of the mob, crime, and might makes right.

This is correct. One of the great ironies of political philosophy is that the two extremes wrap around as if it were a circle, so that just as you say, anarchy is indeed indistinguishable from a government that collects taxes.
The Huge Mistake of Bluth Corporation
Capital: Newport Beach, Shostakovich | Starting Quarterback: Peyton Manning #18 | Company President: Michael Bluth

Champions of: World Bowl X

You should really be using Slackware

Vicious Storms
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Vicious Storms » Sun May 31, 2009 6:03 am

I'm suprised at the number of Liberal votes :O I'm not flaming opinions, i'm just saying I thought it would be like the last election. Conservatives won more then expected.

Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Sun May 31, 2009 6:20 am

Vicious Storms wrote:I'm suprised at the number of Liberal votes :O I'm not flaming opinions, i'm just saying I thought it would be like the last election. Conservatives won more then expected.

I'm not.

If we had a proportional voting or mixed voting system, the Tories wouldn't have got a minority. However, because we have a FPTP system, even if the results were close, with a just a dozen votes separating them, with the leader at 37.2% of the votes and the second candidate at 36.9%, the leader would win by default. Neither has the majority (50%+1), yet the candidate with the larger number wins the riding.

In the last election, a lot of ridings had really close results, with few reporting a true majority. Of course, it's rare to see a lot when you have a multi-party system.
Problem to Report?
Game-side: Getting Help
Forum-side: Moderation
Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Sun May 31, 2009 6:33 am

Bluth Corporation wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:And anarchy ultimately equates to tyranny, as the power vacume of an unstructured society would rapidly be filled by the rule of the mob, crime, and might makes right.

This is correct. One of the great ironies of political philosophy is that the two extremes wrap around as if it were a circle, so that just as you say, anarchy is indeed indistinguishable from a government that collects taxes.

Objectivism v. Minarchism v. Anarchism no holds-barred fight NAO.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Sometimes, there really is money on the sidewalk.

Vicious Storms
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Vicious Storms » Sun May 31, 2009 8:41 am

What do you mean with the V.?

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General