NATION

PASSWORD

If you deny man-made global warming...

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Tubbsalot
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Tubbsalot » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:11 am

Costa Fiero wrote:I remember a quote somewhere saying "there is no facts just popular opinion". This may or may not be relevant in this case but just goes to show that not everything can be taken at face value.

That doesn't show anything.

If you try to present a figurative statement as proof of your position again, I am going to shake my head slowly and wearily.

Costa Fiero wrote:Define "correct". As you have already pointed out, you haven't defined what's right and wrong. So telling someone about which opinion is correct and which isn't is arbitrary, seeing as different people have different views of what they think is correct.

99% of relevant scientists agree that this is the case.

If that's not sufficient for you, you're free to go off and frolic with the homeopaths and flat-worlders and immunisation=autism loons, because you're refusing to accept what is an obvious truth to anyone who knows their shit.

Costa Fiero wrote:This is different. What is considered established fact may change in the future. What can be considered as the correct opinion today may not be so in twenty or a hundred years time.

If five-sigma certainty isn't enough for you, then again, go frolic with the relevantly insulting groups mentioned above, because you're refusing to accept what is an obvious truth to anyone who knows their shit.

Costa Fiero wrote:And again, since when did you have the power to determine who is correct and who isn't? As I have already pointed out.

I specifically said I don't have the power to do that.

Costa Fiero wrote:But I am not part of the same group. You wouldn't appreciate me stereotyping you with the same group that advocates going back to the Stone Ages because both groups of people happen to believe in AGW now would you? You wouldn't like being labelled as such?

That depends on whether the two groups are functionally identical. There are many differences between you and those who reject CC outright, but none are especially relevant now, that I can see.

In any case, saying that you were functionally part of the same group was just an offhand response giving a possible reason FS might have been treating you the same as deniers. I'm not hugely interested in contesting the point.
"Twats love flags." - Yootopia

Tubbsalot
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Tubbsalot » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:40 am

Vitaphone Racing wrote:This thread isn't about whether or not climate change exists and that isn't what I asked, I asked people's opinions on human involvement in climate change.

Now, I'd like you to trawl through this list and see how many nations are at conscensus on human involvement. Let's say a conscensus is 80% agreement.

Of those countries listed, these are the ones I'd class as 'developed':
Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Russia, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan, Turkey, the United Kingdom, the United States.

And of those countries, here are the percentages in each who think CC is a threat:
75, 54, 68, 74, 39, 40, 39, 75, 60, 82, 54, 75, 33, 60, 62, 76, 80, 75, 57, 43, 54, 39, 59, 80, 69, 56, 70, 66, 69, 63.

The median score is 62.5, the percentage of countries with a score less than 75 is 73%. The percentage of countries with greater perception of CC as a threat than the US
is 47%.

So it turns out that the US is pretty average in this sense, and is merely especially obvious due to its size and influence. On the other hand, it turns out Australia is pretty high up in comparison to everyone else.

I didn't even care about this.

Vitaphone Racing wrote:You should have a look at this before you make incorrect statements. Coal is very cheap including external costs.

I didn't say reduce emissions across the board, I said some level of compliance. Choosing geothermal, hydro or some other renewable over coal would be one such level of compliance, would it not? I don't remember asking undeveloped countries to be punished under harsher laws than developed countries so I don't know why you would insinuate that I did.

FS has already addressed the coal comment, and as for the rest of the quote, I don't see how this is meant to convince developing countries to accept equally stringent restrictions as developed countries.
"Twats love flags." - Yootopia

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:46 am

Costa Fiero wrote:
I remember a quote somewhere saying "there is no facts just popular opinion". This may or may not be relevant in this case but just goes to show that not everything can be taken at face value.

show me a cultural realativist at 20,000 feet and I will show you a hypocrite.

This is different. What is considered established fact may change in the future. What can be considered as the correct opinion today may not be so in twenty or a hundred years time.

that is the dumbest argument I have heard in a long time.
It is identical to arguing for using blood letting and leeches to treat anemia, because you never know science could be wrong.
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

Xsyne
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Xsyne » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:47 am

Zarabad wrote:Does man make pollution, yes. Does man squander resources, yes.
Does this effect a world, that changes drastically over eons? Perhaps, but in my view, unlikely.

UMAD?

Given that fucking one-celled organisms drastically changed the entire makeup of the Earth's atmosphere, likely causing a mass extinction in the process, I think humans can do the same sort of thing only on a smaller scale.
If global warming is real, why are there still monkeys? - Msigroeg
Pro: Stuff
Anti: Things
Chernoslavia wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:according to both the law library of congress and wikipedia, both automatics and semi-autos that can be easily converted are outright banned in norway.

Source?

Furious Grandmothers
Senator

Founded: Jan 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Furious Grandmothers » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:16 am

Xsyne wrote:
Zarabad wrote:Does man make pollution, yes. Does man squander resources, yes.
Does this effect a world, that changes drastically over eons? Perhaps, but in my view, unlikely.

UMAD?

Given that fucking one-celled organisms drastically changed the entire makeup of the Earth's atmosphere, likely causing a mass extinction in the process, I think humans can do the same sort of thing only on a smaller scale.

:clap: Never thought of this point myself. Good one.
Code: Select all

Person012345
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Person012345 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:43 am

Tubbsalot wrote:
Person012345 wrote:The IPCC is an organisation who's very existance depends on climate change of some flavour being real (not necessarily anthroprogenic).

Jesus, dude, give it a rest.

http://www.ipcc.ch/organization/organiz ... 0-jUnlpmHU
The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) is the leading international body for the assessment of climate change. It was established by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) to provide the world with a clear scientific view on the current state of knowledge in climate change and its potential environmental and socio-economic impacts. The UN General Assembly endorsed the action by WMO and UNEP in jointly establishing the IPCC.

leading international body for the assessment of climate change

established by the United Nations Environment Programmee (UNEP) and the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) to provide the world with a clear scientific view on the current state of knowledge in climate change and its potential environmental and socio-economic impacts

If climate change did not exist in any form, the IPCC would be out of a job. If you had bothered to read my post however, you would have seen that I wasn't specifically arguing against it being used in this case - merely that it does have an agenda relating to climate change. If your existance depends on the existance of something, you aren't going to be that open to suggestions that it doesn't exist.

The IPCC reports are pretty much the epitome of scientific rigour, which is why you've been told it's perfectly good as a source in and of itself.

Oh, I've been told have I, well that's ok then, I believe everything I'm told, especially on the internet.

If you were given the original sources (which have already been vetted by the IPCC scientists, and which are readily available to you if you'd just bother looking), would you even understand what they said?

Yes. Any bits I don't understand I can ask someone here about, I'm sure.

Do you have any scientific background whatsoever? You can't just pick up and read that stuff, it's presented quite technically.

Yes, I can. This is precisely why I have been concentrating on a specific graph in this case. True, if you just dumped a shitload of random data on me, I wouldn't know where to begin, which is the entire reason I was asking about a specific graph, and the specific data relating to the specific graph. I already have their "interpretation" with which to give context to the numbers if I need that.

I don't mean to denigrate you, it's just that you're asking people to go through a ludicrous list of subsources rather than accepting the very strong source already provided. If you won't even understand what those subsources say, you've just wasted a lot of someone's time.

You're defending something that doesn't need defending and what's more you're not doing a very good job. The sources I asked for I believe have been provided (I didn't look at everything in detail yet, which is why I haven't posted more on the subject yet, but at a glance it appears to be what I wanted), yet you feel the need to defend why I can't be provided with sources. And to do that, you appear to be arguing that it would be a bother to provide them. Well, I'm sorry if it's bothersome, but "can't be bothered to waste my time because you wouldn't understand" is not, has never been and never will be a valid reason to decline to provide sources.

As I say, I believe the sources have been provided, and I will take a look at them in more detail when I have some spare time.

Btw, if I don't understand them properly and can't because they're too complicated, I will concede the point. Whilst I may not be able to positively verify the IPCC graph using the figures, nor would I be able to disprove the IPCC graph. So as long as the numbers come from a solid source, and haven't been obviously wilfully misinterpreted (which I wouldn't be able to claim if I couldn't understand them), then I will accept it.

Free Soviets
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Soviets » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:12 am

Person012345 wrote:If climate change did not exist in any form, the IPCC would be out of a job.

none of the scientists participating in the IPCC process are paid. well, other than their normal salaries at their home institutions.

Xsyne
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Xsyne » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:34 am

Person012345 wrote:If climate change did not exist in any form, the IPCC would be out of a job. If you had bothered to read my post however, you would have seen that I wasn't specifically arguing against it being used in this case - merely that it does have an agenda relating to climate change. If your existance depends on the existance of something, you aren't going to be that open to suggestions that it doesn't exist.

Oh, hey, haven't had a creationist on here in a while.
If global warming is real, why are there still monkeys? - Msigroeg
Pro: Stuff
Anti: Things
Chernoslavia wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:according to both the law library of congress and wikipedia, both automatics and semi-autos that can be easily converted are outright banned in norway.

Source?

Person012345
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Person012345 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:01 pm

Xsyne wrote:
Person012345 wrote:If climate change did not exist in any form, the IPCC would be out of a job. If you had bothered to read my post however, you would have seen that I wasn't specifically arguing against it being used in this case - merely that it does have an agenda relating to climate change. If your existance depends on the existance of something, you aren't going to be that open to suggestions that it doesn't exist.

Oh, hey, haven't had a creationist on here in a while.

I thought NSG was crawling with them?

Person012345
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Person012345 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:01 pm

Free Soviets wrote:
Person012345 wrote:If climate change did not exist in any form, the IPCC would be out of a job.

none of the scientists participating in the IPCC process are paid. well, other than their normal salaries at their home institutions.

So... what exactly is their budget for?

Oyashima (Ancient)
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Oyashima (Ancient) » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:17 pm

Person012345 wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:none of the scientists participating in the IPCC process are paid. well, other than their normal salaries at their home institutions.

Conducting research, not paying their personal salaries. Nobody is getting rich off of climate change research.

And I have a question. Do you consider scientists who deny anthropomorphic climate change, at least some of whom are being paid by oil companies and right wing think tanks, to be biased?

Person012345
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Person012345 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:24 pm

Oyashima wrote:
Person012345 wrote:So... what exactly is their budget for?

Conducting research, not paying their personal salaries. Nobody is getting rich off of climate change research.

But the costs of research are generally salaries. Unless the IPCC is purchasing some fairly expensive equipment, which seems strange since I have (earlier in this thread) been told that the IPCC don't collect the data themselves, they just collate it.

And I have a question. Do you consider scientists who deny anthropomorphic climate change, at least some of whom are being paid by oil companies and right wing think tanks, to be biased?

Yes.

Free Soviets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Soviets » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:46 pm

Person012345 wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:none of the scientists participating in the IPCC process are paid. well, other than their normal salaries at their home institutions.

conferences and meetings, publications, administration, outreach, proofreaders, some travel expense coverage... we are dealing with an organization coordinating hundreds of authors all over the world looking at thousands of articles and trying to distill that information into documents that are both current and useable by scientists and policy makers in order to inform government responses to a massive global issue, after all.
Last edited by Free Soviets on Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:47 pm

Free Soviets wrote:
Person012345 wrote:So... what exactly is their budget for?

conferences and meetings, publications, administration, outreach, proofreaders, some travel expense coverage...

... solid-gold Cadillacs (take that, Mrs. Romney!)
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:50 pm

Clearly God intended for global warming to occur, and in order to properly serve His whims, we should pollute the atmosphere even more.
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Free Soviets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Soviets » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:52 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:conferences and meetings, publications, administration, outreach, proofreaders, some travel expense coverage...

... solid-gold Cadillacs (take that, Mrs. Romney!)

wind-powered, though

Costa Fiero
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fiero » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:10 pm

Tubbsalot wrote:If you try to present a figurative statement as proof of your position again, I am going to shake my head slowly and wearily.

Do what you wish but that doesn't help your case one little bit.

If that's not sufficient for you, you're free to go off and frolic with the homeopaths and flat-worlders and immunisation=autism loons, because you're refusing to accept what is an obvious truth to anyone who knows their shit.

Again, stereotyping isn't helping.

If five-sigma certainty isn't enough for you, then again, go frolic with the relevantly insulting groups mentioned above, because you're refusing to accept what is an obvious truth to anyone who knows their shit.

Why don't you go frolic with those who advocate population reductions, eco-terrorism and living in the Stone Ages? After all, you seem to like stereotyping people so clearly this isn't an issue for you.

That depends on whether the two groups are functionally identical. There are many differences between you and those who reject CC outright, but none are especially relevant now, that I can see.

In any case, saying that you were functionally part of the same group was just an offhand response giving a possible reason FS might have been treating you the same as deniers. I'm not hugely interested in contesting the point.

Considering I don't wish to be lumped with people who think that it's a liberal cospiracy, I want to contest the point. The fact that I have expressed many times that I don't outright deny global warming is enough of a difference for you people to see.

However, if stereotyping is all you people wish to do, then fine. That's your perogative.

Albion and Cambria
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Albion and Cambria » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:12 pm

I don't deny it.
I simply don't care.

Now, if your forcing me to do something about Global Warming/help you do something/participate in any way, then I will fight it.
The Kingdom of Albion and Cambria is a Center-Right Libertarian Constitutional Monarchy

Free Soviets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Soviets » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:13 pm

Albion and Cambria wrote:I don't deny it.
I simply don't care.

Now, if your forcing me to do something about Global Warming/help you do something/participate in any way, then I will fight it.

every day, i have more and more sympathy for robespierre.

Fartsniffage
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 19, 2005
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Fartsniffage » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:16 pm

I simply don't care.

Arrogance has it's place.

The future of mankind is not it.

Awesomeland
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Capitalizt

Postby Awesomeland » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:19 pm

It seems pretty obvious that humans are responsible for the mess that the planet is currently in. The amount of damage humans have caused to the planet is visible from space. You can't destroy this much stuff without having SOME kind of effect.

Of course, suppose we stopped emitting all this carbon overnight. What would happen THEN? This has been going on for some time. Things have gotten USED to this. If all the stuff that has gotten used to this carbon suddenly stopped receiving it, they would rapidly eat all of it and we'd be looking at an alternate problem: A new ice age.

I, am all for this. There's no way to fix too hot, but if things are too cold, you just set something on fire.

Fartsniffage
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 19, 2005
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Fartsniffage » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:21 pm

Awesomeland wrote:It seems pretty obvious that humans are responsible for the mess that the planet is currently in. The amount of damage humans have caused to the planet is visible from space. You can't destroy this much stuff without having SOME kind of effect.

Of course, suppose we stopped emitting all this carbon overnight. What would happen THEN? This has been going on for some time. Things have gotten USED to this. If all the stuff that has gotten used to this carbon suddenly stopped receiving it, they would rapidly eat all of it and we'd be looking at an alternate problem: A new ice age.

I, am all for this. There's no way to fix too hot, but if things are too cold, you just set something on fire.

What things?

Person012345
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Person012345 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:25 pm

I simply don't care.

How about if we ask you to try and use less of earth's limited natural resources that produce pollution (even if you don't believe global warming, it still produces bad pollution for most of it's uses)?

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:11 pm

Person012345 wrote:

what budget?, the IPCC gets just enough money to cover its traveling expenses and printing up reports.
http://www.ipcc.ch/meetings/session29/doc3.pdf
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:18 pm

Awesomeland wrote:Of course, suppose we stopped emitting all this carbon overnight. What would happen THEN? This has been going on for some time. Things have gotten USED to this. If all the stuff that has gotten used to this carbon suddenly stopped receiving it, they would rapidly eat all of it and we'd be looking at an alternate problem: A new ice age.

Uh....? What are these "things" that have gotten used to it? Are you implying that in the past 50 years animals have evolved completely new bodies to survive in really warm weather, without their usual food, etc? Please tell me you are joking. What things are "eating" the carbon? You do realize that even if these magical beings did "eat" all of the carbon, their populations would drop so low that the levels of CO2 would rise again to levels before humans added to it with fossil fuels.
Awesomeland wrote:I, am all for this. There's no way to fix too hot, but if things are too cold, you just set something on fire.

This doesn't even make any sense.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General