NATION

PASSWORD

What is a life sentance in your nation?

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]
Kalaspia-Shimarata
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

What is a life sentance in your nation?

Postby Kalaspia-Shimarata » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:32 am

What is a life sentance in your nation? In Kalaspia-Shimarata, it means you are in prison till fate finally frees you. The day many prisoners actually are exicited for!!!
What about your nation?
Also, those nations with the life sentances that are x amount of years, why are they called life sentances when you may be freed before you see your maker? Why don't you be HONEST in sentancing and call it "maximum sentance"> Maybe it's because when added all together, it is the maximum sentance you can serve in your life? And even then, what happens if they still break the law after that? Discuss!
Kalaspia-Shimarata's flag represents the Union between K&S. The dark blue represents the sea and the light blue represents the sky. In Kalashi language considers light blue and dark blue to be different colours. England colonised, and unified K&S, between 1774 and 1953, and English, light blue and dark blue are considered to be the same colour. Therefore, the contrast between dark blue and light blue represents the union, but the differences between K&S where as blue being two but simultaneously one colour represents K&S being two, but simultaniously one entity. The opposite to the symmetry represents the unity and indipendance of K&S, whilst also representing the Kalashi culture of opposite symmetry.KS is 75% Christian, hence the cross.

Gentlemen Corsairs
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Gentlemen Corsairs » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:04 am

There are two different life sentences. The first is your classic imprisonment. If on land, they are put right in prison. If at sea, they're locked in the brig until they reach their next scheduled stop at a Federation-controlled port, and then they're transferred to that port's prison.

Some sentencing guidelines prescribe another life sentence: marooning on an uninhabited island with one pistol, one bullet and powder. Federation sailors are not to help or contact the convicted in any way should the convicted still be alive on any future visit to that island.

In both cases, the sentence is a true life sentence without the possibility of appeal or parole.
"We're planning big things in the Door-to-Door Insurance Sales industry in the coming years."
"And just what kind of insurance are you planning to sell?"
"Insurance from us, of course."
-Pirate King Bartholomew Morgan, in a media interview

Rumbria
Minister

Founded: Aug 10, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Rumbria » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:13 am

We don't use life sentences.

If a criminal is thought to be too dangerous to ever be released, has committed a crime of unforgivable magnitude or is a serial and repeat offender of a crime which renders him/her a danger to society, they are simply executed with immediate effect on the passing of their sentence.

Because rehabilitation is the cornerstone of Rumbrian justice, indefinite sentences may be and are usually passed. A convict is released when s/he is deemed to be fit to be returned to society, not at the end of some arbitrary time limit.
Last edited by Rumbria on Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
So goddamned leet: Rumbria is ranked 6th in the region and 1,337th in the world for Most Godforsaken.
Incomplete National Factbook

Illinoia
Attaché

Founded: Jan 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Illinoia » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:17 am

We do not sentance criminals to anything. They get a sentence, instead.

If you are sentenced to life in prison in Illinoia, that's exactly what it means. Especially if it's life without parole.
In this world, due process often comes at the point of a bullet.

What Is the Militia?

Royardon
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Royardon » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:22 am

A life sentence comes in two forms - with and without parole. No person on a life sentence is eligible for parole until they have served 15 years however.
Most sentences offer the chance of parole as the most serious crimes warrant the death penalty rather than a life sentence.
The Kingdom of Royardon
The Old That Is Strong Does Not Wither

RP Population: 5 Million
Head of State: King Christopher
The rest is to follow!

Illinoia
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Illinoia » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:24 am

Royardon wrote:A life sentence comes in two forms - with and without parole. No person on a life sentence is eligible for parole until they have served 15 years however.
Most sentences offer the chance of parole as the most serious crimes warrant the death penalty rather than a life sentence.

Not a bad system, that. If they're bad enough to lock away permanently, then they're likely bad enough to be killed. True?

What Is the Militia?

Capston
Secretary

Founded: Jul 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Capston » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:26 am

In Capston, a life sentence means simply that you are not executed. You are sentenced to live. :rofl:
Last edited by Capston on Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scriftland
Attaché

Founded: Jan 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Scriftland » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:27 am

All life sentences are in the form of "D-Relocation", where prisoners are sent to "D-Cities." There are two forms, however, based on the circumstances. Form one is, basically, forced labor for life.
Form two involves an actual prison cell, but these are in underground cells in "D-Cities".
Reborn nation.
Assume Anything Involving My Nation
Before APRIL 10, 2015 to be Non-Canon

PRO: STUFF
AGAINST: THANGS

Gallade
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Gallade » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:29 am

We don't have life sentences, or a law system for that matter. The Empire is a benevolent force, it stands as a figure head to retain some semblance of state.

We don't tax our citezenry and don't provide public services or enact laws (apart from the occasional edict from the Empress who reserves the right to rule).

As a result, anyone who is considered a major threat to public safety are usually exterminated by corporations or vigilantes.
|| Miss me with that factional BS || RIP Dyakovo. You were a true friend, you will be forever missed. ||

Français, en guerriers magnanimes, portez ou retenez vos coups! Épargnez ces tristes victimes à regret s'armant contre nous
My TG box is for friends, not food
Feel like making a direct change rather than just bickering over crises?
Help give orphaned children a safe environment to grow
Combat Homelessness

Terra ex Machina
Civilian

Founded: Sep 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Terra ex Machina » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:32 am

A life sentence here is an average of 2-3 days. Until the next executioner is open. Keeping them fed and warm for their lives wasn't cost efficient.

The United People of Manchester
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The United People of Manchester » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:32 am

Life sentence is 25, which was told in one of our King's song. (Check Government Spoiler and put his name on the Internet)
Dealing with backstabbers, there was one thing I learned. They're only powerful when you got your back turned.
-Eminem

It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down.
-2Pac

You got to realise that when I was 20 years old, I had a house, a Mercedes , a Corvette and a million dollars in the bank before I could buy alcohol legally.
-Dr. Dre
| Best Rap Ever | I like When Bad Meets Evil | Like Eminem? | National Anthem |

Carloso
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Carloso » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:32 am

0.5 seconds. :eyebrow:
Flag Maker Trend || Carlossian Food Growers Association || Carlossian Military Grade Fighters || Carlossian Military Arms || Factbook of Carloso || The National Anthem of Carloso

DEFCON
>1 Total War<
2 Mobilized
3 Preparing
4 Normal
5 Peace

NUKE SILOS
1 Attacking
>2 On-line<
3 Prepared
4 On Stand-by
5 Off-line

Civilian Alert Level
>1 Severe<
2 High
>3 Medium<
4 Low
5 Peaceful

Wars
Antonian Invasion

Allies
CREEEEEED
Rocotia
Mercurea
Zersium
Waraqistan
Creed Reborn
Lenehen
New Babylonia
Bendoso
Trantoto
Sarhey
Kalarin

Join the ACSN!
The Carlossian Broadcasting Company News Channel
National website

The United People of Manchester
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The United People of Manchester » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:34 am

Carloso wrote:0.5 seconds. :eyebrow:

:eyebrow:
Dealing with backstabbers, there was one thing I learned. They're only powerful when you got your back turned.
-Eminem

It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down.
-2Pac

You got to realise that when I was 20 years old, I had a house, a Mercedes , a Corvette and a million dollars in the bank before I could buy alcohol legally.
-Dr. Dre
| Best Rap Ever | I like When Bad Meets Evil | Like Eminem? | National Anthem |

Illinoia
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Illinoia » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:36 am

The United People of Manchester wrote:
Carloso wrote:0.5 seconds. :eyebrow:

:eyebrow:

Don't ask. He might try to explain, and that can't be a good thing.

What Is the Militia?

Cruciland
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2011
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Cruciland » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:39 am

There is no such thing as a "life sentence" in Cruciland. A "life sentence", according to us, is a sentence in which the person must wait an entire lifetime before being freed. Simply put, they die in prison, all the while consuming time and money.

No, we believe that death sentences cover the expendentures of life sentences well, thanks to the abolition of people's rights to sue us for bringing the death penalty. It ends their suffering behind bars quickly and violently. :clap:
THREADS SINGLE-HANDEDLY KILLED: 29 | Beliefs IBeliefs IIBeliefs III
Crucilandians - Old Capital - New Capital | A 4.8 civilization, according to this index.
Socialdemokraterne wrote:If the absence of secularism wasn't enough to scare our people, the rate of which the doomsday button is pressed by them sure settled the matter.

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:Cruciland, I just want to say, your nation is frightening.

The Inevitable Syndicate wrote:My advice to you, dear Gordano-Lysandus, is to run. Or hide. Maybe not hiding, because the Crucilandians will find you, and by their god, you will be assimilated.

The United Colonies of Earth
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 01, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The United Colonies of Earth » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:39 am

Thrown in jail and never released until you're a pile of rotting dust.
The United Colonies of Earth exists:
to bring about the settlement of all planets not yet inhabited by a sapient species within this Galaxy and Universe by the Human Race, or all members of the species Homo sapiens;
to ensure the observation and protection of the rights of all human beings;
to defend humankind from invasion, catastrophe, fraud and violence;
to represent the interests of humankind to the other governments of the Galaxy;
to facilitate the perpetuation of the unity of human civilization and infrastructure between otherwise self-governing colonies;
and to promote technological advancement and scientific discovery for the perpetuation and expansion of the unity and empowerment of all human beings.
E Stēllīs Lībertās

Spice999
Attaché

Founded: Nov 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Spice999 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:40 am

A life sentence means until the end of your life in my nation however they are only given to very dangerous criminals who have re-offended twice.

Carloso
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Carloso » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:41 am

Illinoia wrote:
The United People of Manchester wrote: :eyebrow:

Don't ask. He might try to explain, and that can't be a good thing.

The life sentence is 0.5 second because the life sentence is only given to people who fart at the police.
Flag Maker Trend || Carlossian Food Growers Association || Carlossian Military Grade Fighters || Carlossian Military Arms || Factbook of Carloso || The National Anthem of Carloso

DEFCON
>1 Total War<
2 Mobilized
3 Preparing
4 Normal
5 Peace

NUKE SILOS
1 Attacking
>2 On-line<
3 Prepared
4 On Stand-by
5 Off-line

Civilian Alert Level
>1 Severe<
2 High
>3 Medium<
4 Low
5 Peaceful

Wars
Antonian Invasion

Allies
CREEEEEED
Rocotia
Mercurea
Zersium
Waraqistan
Creed Reborn
Lenehen
New Babylonia
Bendoso
Trantoto
Sarhey
Kalarin

Join the ACSN!
The Carlossian Broadcasting Company News Channel
National website

The Sword
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sword » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:42 am

What's a life sentence? Here in the Sword, every crime is a death penalty.
0 - Inner Colonies invaded, Emergency protocol in effect, martial law declared.
1 - Total War
2 - War Readiness/Normal War
3 - increased surveillance watch
4 - Noticed, watched
5 - Peace
We are an empire spanning 40,000 solar systems, we have a population of 80 billion and our colonies are heavily defended, but we will not godmod and it is possible for our defenses - and colonies - to fall.

The plural is Swordian. I'm either PMT or FT, take your pick.

Proloteriat
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Proloteriat » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:47 am

Life means forever in jail. Till death.
Biogoraphy of President Uri Comradev
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=157616
When I get round to it I will have a national factbook as well but meh.

Also please note that I generaly post once on NSG to state my opinion the chances of me replying are little to none. But in an RP I will be active.

--Member of the People's Communist Party--

Greater Britainnia and Ireland
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Britainnia and Ireland » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:48 am

Life Sentences are technically 1000 years, so it's life.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:48 am

We believe in free choice for everyone, including criminals thus life sentence means that criminal gets a free choice between two sentences:-
Sentence 1, means criminal will be sent to work camps for life.
Sentence 2, means criminal will be released after 20 years.

There is a catch with Sentence 2 though, it means criminal will be sent to "Class 0 waste colony", which is essentially nice way to say "Extremely Radioactive landfill colony" in middle of nowhere and 1000 criminals have dared to choose it... suffice to say no one saw them ever again.
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aethrys
Minister

Founded: Apr 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Aethrys » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:49 am

There is no life sentence in the PRA. If someone is deemed to be such a danger that they must be removed from society indefinitely, they are put to death. It makes no sense to waste resources on such individuals. Nations that do so are considered extremely foolish.
"Concentration of power in a political machine is bad; and an Established Church is only a political machine; it was invented for that; it is nursed, cradled, preserved for that; it is an enemy to human liberty, and does no good which it could not better do in a split-up and scattered condition." - Mark Twain

Dukopolious
Minister

Founded: Jun 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dukopolious » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:52 am

We don't have life sentences, or death sentences. You are given barely enough food to survive for your sentence, and locked in a vault with only bare necessities such as food, water, a bed (very uncomfortable), a bucket and sponge (for bathing), A small sink, toothbrush, and a 30 pound weight. Then at the end of the sentence, your vault is opened, if you're still alive, you are released in the slums of Dukopolious, and left to re-build your life, if your died, then the cameras would've picked it up, and informed the warden, who would've had the body removed so another prisoner could use the cell after cleaning. If we have food shortages, we feed the poor and hungry before the criminals, what ever is left is given in order of who has the shortest sentence, other than prisoners of war, and diplomatic prisoners who are treated much better.

Most prisoners commit suicide, which is very hard due to the fact that there's little to kill yourself with.
Mallorea and Riva should resign

San Leggera
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby San Leggera » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:53 am

In San Leggera, life sentences are for 80+ years, with a US$10,000,000 bond. So far, nobody has paid a bond for a life sentence. Criminals on life sentence are given an option of death sentence after 6 months, and every 12 months afterwards.
Last edited by San Leggera on Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
#JusticeForGat
Flag | CoA | Map (bigger!)
I Just Want to Sell Out My Funeral

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information