NATION

PASSWORD

Harvey Milk day

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Nodinia
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 08, 2005
Ex-Nation

Harvey Milk day

Postby Nodinia » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:16 am

CNN) -- Amid conservative opposition, a bill that would designate a day of "significance" in California for slain gay politician Harvey Milk is heading to Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's desk.

Harvey Milk was California's first openly gay elected official. He was assassinated in 1978.

The legislation would denote May 22 -- Milk's birthday -- as a day of significance across the state.

The day of significance would not close schools or state offices, according to its text.

However, Randy Thomasson, the president of SaveCalifornia.com, said the bill was vague and could allow for a number of things at schools, including gay pride parades or "mock gay weddings."

"There's no definition in the bill," he said. "There is absolutely no limit to what could occur on campuses and go into little children's brains."

"Harvey Milk was a terrible role model for children," Thomasson said

Link

Indeed. Imagine if May 22nd was every year turned into a mass gheyness event. Welders, builders and other such manly types would suddenly engage in mass buttsecks, male japery such as nailing or welding boots to benches and hitting each other across the ass with towels would cease.....Spongebob would be run for 24 hours on all the channells. O the horror.....

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:18 am

Harvey Milk was before my time, but the recent movie about his life gave me a chance to learn more. I actually didn't see the major movie, but I watched a documentary about Milk, and he seemed like a really cool guy.

I think it would be fantastic to have a Harvey Milk Day, in particular because of the events surrounding his death. It would be wonderful to open up discussion about how homophobia and sexism can ruin people's lives...and I'm not just talking about Milk and his loved ones, here, but also about the man who killed him.
"Until evolution happens like in pokemon I'll never accept your 'evidence'!" -Ifreann
"Well, excuuuuuuse me, feminist." -Ende

Sierra Lobo
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sierra Lobo » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:20 am

:? :? :? is this a flame thread :? :? :?
Economic Left/Right: -2.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.21

"Then there are the fanatical atheists whose intolerance is the same as that of the religious fanatics, and it springs from the same source . . . They are creatures who can't hear the music of the spheres." - Einstein

“Liberals are very broadminded: they are always willing to give careful consideration to both sides of the same side”

Skaladora
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 04, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Skaladora » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:24 am

"Harvey Milk was a terrible role model for children," Thomasson said

This is a lie.

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:29 am

Why would you have mock gay weddings in school?

Or any mock weddings for that matter?

Unless it was part of a school play.
You know you've made it on NSG when you have a whole thread created around what you said.
On the American/United Statesian matter "I'd suggest Americans go to their nation settings and change their nation prefix to something cooler." - The Kangaroo Republic
http://nswiki.net/index.php?title=Blouman_Empire

DBC26-Winner

Eofaerwic
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 16, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Eofaerwic » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:42 am

Nodinia wrote:Indeed. Imagine if May 22nd was every year turned into a mass gheyness event. Welders, builders and other such manly types would suddenly engage in mass buttsecks, male japery such as nailing or welding boots to benches and hitting each other across the ass with towels would cease.....Spongebob would be run for 24 hours on all the channells. O the horror.....

That would be awesome, especially since May 22nd was my birthday - bring on the mass gayness 8)
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.38
Grave_n_idle: That's much better, that's not creepy at all. Nothing creepy about dropping a hook in someone's brain soup.
Mad hatters in jeans:Why is there a whirlpool inside your head?

RoI2
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby RoI2 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:53 am

Hey! What's wrong with SpongeBob?
CI
Economic Left/Right: -5.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.97
Add 3399 to post count + 860
RIP RoI 22Feb - 20Aug '09

Gopferdammi
Envoy

Founded: Jan 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Gopferdammi » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:00 am

RoI2 wrote:Hey! What's wrong with SpongeBob?

Why, nothing at all. He's simply fabulous!

You-Gi-Owe
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby You-Gi-Owe » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:01 am

Sure, why not designate a holiday for a man that brought knowledge of his intimate private activities to the general public and showcased them as a reason for his election to public office. That's a big positive role model argument. That's why we need Hugh Hefner day and Larry Flint day, too.
:palm:
“Man, I'm so hip I won't even eat a square meal!”
"We've always been at war with Eastasia." 1984, George Orwell
Tyrion: "Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!"
“I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents.” ~ James Madison quotes

H N Fiddlebottoms VIII
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 31, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby H N Fiddlebottoms VIII » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:10 am

Blouman Empire wrote:Why would you have mock gay weddings in school?

Harvey Milk was a proponent of Fake Gay Marriage.
He was also a proponent of Fake Gay Funerals, in which a gay man would pretend to be dead and a closed casket funeral would be held. At the end of the ceremony, the casket would be opened and rainbow colored snakes would spring out, like from those joke cans.
Stuck somewhere between high school and old school.
Here's some bullshit I write. Maybe you want to read it?

Jello Biafra
Negotiator

Founded: Antiquity
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Jello Biafra » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:34 am

You-Gi-Owe wrote:Sure, why not designate a holiday for a man that brought knowledge of his intimate private activities to the general public

You mean like when heterosexual politicians talk about their wives and (biological) children?

Nodinia
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 08, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Nodinia » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:41 am

You-Gi-Owe wrote:Sure, why not designate a holiday for a man that brought knowledge of his intimate private activities to the general public and showcased them as a reason for his election to public office. That's a big positive role model argument. That's why we need Hugh Hefner day and Larry Flint day, too.
:palm:

As oppossed to the married ones who keep their toe tapping secrets to themselves, and their wives, voters and colleagues......

He was elected on a number of issues, btw.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:42 am

Jello Biafra wrote:
You-Gi-Owe wrote:Sure, why not designate a holiday for a man that brought knowledge of his intimate private activities to the general public

You mean like when heterosexual politicians talk about their wives and (biological) children?

And, when discovered to have been carrying on an affair with someone not their spouse, go on at length about their shame and contrition. Yes, excellent role-models.

Besides, Harvey Milk simply said, "I am a homosexual." He never "brought knowledge of his intimate private activities to the general public." Any knowledge of those activities you think you may have, YGO, comes primarily from your imagination.
Last edited by Farnhamia on Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:48 am

Jello Biafra wrote:

No, more like when heterosexual politicians act out the melodramas of their sexual infidelities -- their exotic games with prostitutes; their first class flights to Argentina for booty calls; the way they serve their wives divorce papers while she's lying in a hospital bed sick with cancer, so they can marry the woman they've been banging behind their wife's back; or when they refuse to resign their offices after they get caught having embarrassing affairs outside their marriages, even though they called for other pols to resign when they got caught doing the same things, etc. -- all played out in the media with press conferences and everything, for months on end.

That's way more decorous and admirable than simply being a gay person where people can see you. :eek:
Kick back at Cafe Muravyets
And check out my other RP, too. (Don't take others' word for it -- see for yourself. ;) )
I agree with Muravyets because she scares me. -- Verdigroth
However, I am still not the topic of this thread.

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:50 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Jello Biafra wrote:

And, when discovered to have been carrying on an affair with someone not their spouse, go on at length about their shame and contrition. Yes, excellent role-models.

Besides, Harvey Milk simply said, "I am a homosexual." He never "brought knowledge of his intimate private activities to the general public." Any knowledge of those activities you think you may have, YGO, comes primarily from your imagination.

Well, I guess some people prefer that closets remain closed. I guess.
And check out my other RP, too. (Don't take others' word for it -- see for yourself. ;) )

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:51 am

Muravyets wrote:
Jello Biafra wrote:

No, more like when heterosexual politicians act out the melodramas of their sexual infidelities -- their exotic games with prostitutes; their first class flights to Argentina for booty calls; the way they serve their wives divorce papers while she's lying in a hospital bed sick with cancer, so they can marry the woman they've been banging behind their wife's back; or when they refuse to resign their offices after they get caught having embarrassing affairs outside their marriages, even though they called for other pols to resign when they got caught doing the same things, etc. -- all played out in the media with press conferences and everything, for months on end.

That's way more decorous and admirable than simply being a gay person where people can see you. :eek:

Just so, Mury. One would think that there are no closets in San Francisco. Some people have no sense of their proper place.
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:52 am

Muravyets wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:
Jello Biafra wrote:

Well, I guess some people prefer that closets remain closed. I guess.

I suppose, though I suspect some people can see through even a closed closet door.

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:05 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Muravyets wrote:No, more like when heterosexual politicians act out the melodramas of their sexual infidelities -- their exotic games with prostitutes; their first class flights to Argentina for booty calls; the way they serve their wives divorce papers while she's lying in a hospital bed sick with cancer, so they can marry the woman they've been banging behind their wife's back; or when they refuse to resign their offices after they get caught having embarrassing affairs outside their marriages, even though they called for other pols to resign when they got caught doing the same things, etc. -- all played out in the media with press conferences and everything, for months on end.

Just so, Mury. One would think that there are no closets in San Francisco. Some people have no sense of their proper place.

I've never lived in San Francisco, so I don't know what the closet situation there is. I know closets are prime real estate in NYC, and very hard to come by in Boston. ;)

In any event, I approve of a Harvey Milk Day, because I think his career and his death are significant to more people than just the gay community, and I believe he deserves the recognition and remembrance.

Veblenia
Minister

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Veblenia » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:34 am

H N Fiddlebottoms VIII wrote:
Blouman Empire wrote:Why would you have mock gay weddings in school?

Harvey Milk was a proponent of Fake Gay Marriage.
He was also a proponent of Fake Gay Funerals, in which a gay man would pretend to be dead and a closed casket funeral would be held. At the end of the ceremony, the casket would be opened and rainbow colored snakes would spring out, like from those joke cans.

What a disgusting affront to the sanctity of death. This is no doubt directly responsible for the rise in zombism.
Political Compass: -6.62, -7.69
"Freedom is a horizon in which we continually re-negotiate the terms of our own subjugation."
- Michel Foucault

Flameswroth
Senator

Founded: Sep 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Flameswroth » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:45 am

Seems to me like the only reason this idea has any clout is because he got assassinated. If he had lived out his term, and his life, he probably would have been recognized, but wouldn't have had a shot at having a holiday.

It's like Martin Luther King, Jr. all over again, except worse: we don't get the day off!
Czardas wrote:Why should we bail out climate change with billions of dollars, when lesbians are starving in the streets because they can't afford an abortion?

Reagan Clone wrote:What you are proposing is glorifying God by loving, respecting, or at least tolerating, his other creations.

That is the gayest fucking shit I've ever heard, and I had Barry Manilow perform at the White House in '82.

Dimoniquid
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 10, 2009
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Dimoniquid » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:50 am

So a gay guy... is an elected official? Good for you.

Iron Chariots
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Iron Chariots » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:50 am

Flameswroth wrote:Seems to me like the only reason this idea has any clout is because he got assassinated. If he had lived out his term, and his life, he probably would have been recognized, but wouldn't have had a shot at having a holiday.

It's like Martin Luther King, Jr. all over again, except worse: we don't get the day off!

Yeah, that damn Dr. King. What the hell did he ever do that was worth commemorating with a holiday?!

But yeah, I'm all for a Harvey Milk day. Too bad most people in this country are homophobic bigots and the idea wouldn't have national viability. But good for California if they pass this.
Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -5.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.13

H N Fiddlebottoms VIII
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 31, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby H N Fiddlebottoms VIII » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:02 am

Veblenia wrote:
H N Fiddlebottoms VIII wrote:Harvey Milk was a proponent of Fake Gay Marriage.

What a disgusting affront to the sanctity of death. This is no doubt directly responsible for the rise in zombism.

Gay zombies are the worst kind of zombie. It is bad enough to have a guy ripping you open and pulling out your intestine like so much poorly packed sausage, the last thing I want is to worry about him also checking out my butt.
Stuck somewhere between high school and old school.
Here's some bullshit I write. Maybe you want to read it?

Iron Chariots
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Iron Chariots » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:05 am

Veblenia wrote:

Gay zombies are the worst kind of zombie. It is bad enough to have a guy ripping you open and pulling out your intestine like so much poorly packed sausage, the last thing I want is to worry about him also checking out my butt.

But of course, he drapes the intestine around you so tastefully that when you arise as a zombie yourself, you look fabulous!
Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -5.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.13

Dimoniquid
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 10, 2009
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Dimoniquid » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:15 am

Iron Chariots wrote:
Veblenia wrote:

But of course, he drapes the intestine around you so tastefully that when you arise as a zombie yourself, you look fabulous!

-Waves scarf around neck-
You're not looking to bad yourself, Mr Good lookin'.
-Wink-

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General