NATION

PASSWORD

Is it ok?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
The Murry
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Is it ok?

Postby The Murry » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:37 am

In the last Australian federal election the Prime Minister said 3 day before the polls opened
"There will be no CARBON TAX under the government I lead"

The election ended in a hung parliment where Julia Gillard remains PM, she maintains power in the house of Reps. with a coaliton of the Labour party, the Greens and 2 independence. In the Senate the greens have the ability to swing a vote in any dirrection they so wish.

During mid last year Julia Gillard informed the people of Australia that there would infact be a Carbon Tax under her government.

Do you think this is ok?
Do you think the Governor General should sack her?
Last edited by The Murry on Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
BOOK NOW THE MURRY PERFORMING ARTS ON TOUR
Australian, Right wing, Nationalist, Anglican, Monarchist, Climate sceptic, Federal Imperialist
Eco 6.00 Social 3.33

Meowfoundland
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Meowfoundland » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:41 am

Is this still fucking going on? I am actually really tired of people whining that someone broke a campaign promise. GET OVER IT. It's happened before, and it will happen again, and if you think the Liberals are any better look up why we have a GST.
This was formerly a signature. One day, it may return to its splendid past. In the meantime, enjoy some pictures of my cats.

Forster Keys
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Forster Keys » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:49 am

The Murry wrote:(Image)
In the last Australian federal election the Prime Minister said 3 day before the polls opened
"There will be no CARBON TAX under the government I lead"

The election ended in a hung parliment where Julia Gillard remains PM, she maintains power in the house of Reps. with a coaliton of the Labour party, the Greens and 2 independence. In the Senate the greens have the ability to swing a vote in any dirrection they so wish.

During mid last year Julia Gillard informed the people of Australia that there would infact be a Carbon Tax under her government.

Do you think this is ok?
Do you think the Governor General should sack her?

If breaking a campaign promise is a sack-worthy (hee hee) event, than I'm hard pressed to find any PM that would have lasted more than a few months. People seem to forget the Howard's "core" and "non-core" promises.
The blue sky above beckons us to take our freedom, to paint our path across its vastness. Across a million blades of grass, through the roars of our elation and a thousand thundering hooves, we begin our reply.

The Murry
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Murry » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:12 am

Meowfoundland wrote:Is this still fucking going on? I am actually really tired of people whining that someone broke a campaign promise. GET OVER IT. It's happened before, and it will happen again, and if you think the Liberals are any better look up why we have a GST.

ahhh, GST Howard admitted he had made a mistake in saying it was a bad idea so he took us to election with GST as a pollicy.
Also I admit that this one lie is not really sack worthy, but when you consider that there has not been a single pollicy success under her government or Mr. Rudd's...
Australian, Right wing, Nationalist, Anglican, Monarchist, Climate sceptic, Federal Imperialist
Eco 6.00 Social 3.33

Forster Keys
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Forster Keys » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:15 am

The Murry wrote:
Meowfoundland wrote:Is this still fucking going on? I am actually really tired of people whining that someone broke a campaign promise. GET OVER IT. It's happened before, and it will happen again, and if you think the Liberals are any better look up why we have a GST.

ahhh, GST Howard admitted he had made a mistake in saying it was a bad idea so he took us to election with GST as a pollicy.
Also I admit that this one lie is not really sack worthy, but when you consider that there has not been a single pollicy success under her government or Mr. Rudd's...

Sorry. I've got to give you this old gem.

http://www.awu.net.au/109589607626152_5 ... 0569191203
The blue sky above beckons us to take our freedom, to paint our path across its vastness. Across a million blades of grass, through the roars of our elation and a thousand thundering hooves, we begin our reply.

Meowfoundland
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Meowfoundland » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:18 am

The Murry wrote:

What are you counting as a success? How much you personally like it, or how well it works? Because my money is on the former.
Forster Keys wrote:Sorry. I've got to give you this old gem.

http://www.awu.net.au/109589607626152_5 ... 0569191203

Nice list. Obviously it's false though, because "the unions are coming back!"

EDIT: Ooh, I forgot about Children Overboard. That one's a keeper, mainly because it showed both parties are made of crap.
Last edited by Meowfoundland on Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
This was formerly a signature. One day, it may return to its splendid past. In the meantime, enjoy some pictures of my cats.

Maladie
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Maladie » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:29 am

"Campaign promises will only bind whoever trusts them", as the saying goes in France.
Out of the gloom a voice said unto me
"Behold and be happy, things could be worse".
So I beheld and was happy, and things did get worse.

The Murry
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Murry » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:31 am

Meowfoundland wrote:
The Murry wrote:

What are you counting as a success? How much you personally like it, or how well it works? Because my money is on the former.

most people dislike pollicies that do not work
Eco 6.00 Social 3.33

Tubbsalot
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Tubbsalot » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:32 am

The Murry wrote:most people dislike pollicies that do not work

Most people dislike policies which hurt them or which they are ideologically opposed to.

You may note that "which don't work" didn't appear in the above sentence.

Most people don't know enough to judge whether certain policies work.
"Twats love flags." - Yootopia

Rotovia-
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 02, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Rotovia- » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:38 am

Here we go again. In a Westminster democracy a government is formed by the monarch or their representative upon it being able to command the support of the majority of the lower house of Parliament. In the event no one grouping of members of parliament (I.E. a political party) has an outright majority, they must assure the Queen or Her representative that they can.

When Australians elected a Parliament where Labor and the Coalition of the Liberals and National could both not form government, both groups were forced to secure the support of independents in order to form government, by convention. Labor obtained the support of the Greens in exchange for upholding what remained ALP policy and assuring passage of emissions pricing and trading measures.

The Murry
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Murry » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:39 am

Tubbsalot wrote:
The Murry wrote:most people dislike pollicies that do not work

Most people dislike policies which hurt them or which they are ideologically opposed to.

Mate I dare you to do google search on Labour pollicy faliures...
Eco 6.00 Social 3.33

The Murry
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Murry » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:41 am

Rotovia- wrote:Here we go again. In a Westminster democracy a government is formed by the monarch or their representative upon it being able to command the support of the majority of the lower house of Parliament. In the event no one grouping of members of parliament (I.E. a political party) has an outright majority, they must assure the Queen or Her representative that they can.

When Australians elected a Parliament where Labor and the Coalition of the Liberals and National could both not form government, both groups were forced to secure the support of independents in order to form government, by convention. Labor obtained the support of the Greens in exchange for upholding what remained ALP policy and assuring passage of emissions pricing and trading measures.

Is she not leading the government
Eco 6.00 Social 3.33

Meowfoundland
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Meowfoundland » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:44 am

The Murry wrote:
Tubbsalot wrote:Most people dislike policies which hurt them or which they are ideologically opposed to.

Mate I dare you to do google search on Labour pollicy faliures...

Hmmm. I got various Liberal party websites, various Murdoch newspapers, something criticising Tony Abbott, some pages about immigration (I'll give you that both parties fail at immigration) and something about a Taiwanese man named Ma. I'm not seeing what you're seeing, it seems.

Meowfoundland
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Meowfoundland » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:45 am

The Murry wrote:
Rotovia- wrote:Here we go again. In a Westminster democracy a government is formed by the monarch or their representative upon it being able to command the support of the majority of the lower house of Parliament. In the event no one grouping of members of parliament (I.E. a political party) has an outright majority, they must assure the Queen or Her representative that they can.

Who is leading the government, then?

The Murry
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Murry » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:47 am

Meowfoundland wrote:
The Murry wrote:

either; Bob Brown, The Independents, the grey men who knifed Rudd or a mixture of the 3
Eco 6.00 Social 3.33

Kirrig
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Kirrig » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:49 am

I'd rather broken promises than secret policies.
Daistallia 2104 wrote:Kirrig, since you seem to be unable to take hints, allow me make it explicitly clear - you are being ignored.

"Have you ever noticed... our caps... they have skulls on them..."
"Hans... are we the baddies?"
Milks Empire wrote:
Kirrig wrote:Do you guys know if George Bush is on NSG?
Wouldn't surprise me.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:50 am

No it's not oky, becaus ruling a nation is child's play.

Tubbsalot
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Tubbsalot » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:08 am

The Murry wrote:Mate I dare you to do google search on Labour pollicy faliures...

I dare you to do a search on Illuminati assassinations.

Then to respond to me in a way which doesn't make me want to sleep.
"Twats love flags." - Yootopia

Forster Keys
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Forster Keys » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:13 am

The Murry wrote:
Meowfoundland wrote:

either; Bob Brown, The Independents, the grey men who knifed Rudd or a mixture of the 3

Read the Greens' policy on their website. Look at how Australia's run. Compare.

The Murry
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Murry » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:28 am

Forster Keys wrote:
The Murry wrote:

I have tried but I can not seem to find it could you please post a link
Eco 6.00 Social 3.33

Forster Keys
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Forster Keys » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:31 am

The Murry wrote:
Forster Keys wrote:

Sure can.

http://greens.org.au/policies

For the TLDR version you could also visit wikipedia.

The Murry
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Murry » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:34 am

Forster Keys wrote:
The Murry wrote:

Sure can.

The bit about how Australia is run or the Greens interpritation there of
Eco 6.00 Social 3.33

Forster Keys
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Forster Keys » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:37 am

The Murry wrote:
Forster Keys wrote:
Sure can.

What? You got to do some work yourself you know. See what the Greens think. See how Australia is. See the massive differences.

Aethelstania
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Aethelstania » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:43 am

You cant sack someone for breaking a coalition promise its just outrageous behavior ! However it can be slightly forgiven considering its coalition government. A sign that you should have an electoral system that leads to majority governments ...

Saint Jade IV
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Jade IV » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:45 am

Forster Keys wrote:
The Murry wrote:

What? You got to do some work yourself you know. See what the Greens think. See how Australia is. See the massive differences.

Some people don't know what work is you know.

Especially in Australia.
When you grow up, your heart dies.
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of him was one kind of son of a b*tch or another.
RIP Dyakovo...we are all poorer for your loss.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General