NATION

PASSWORD

Gay Marriage

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Nornalhorst
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Gay Marriage

Postby Nornalhorst » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:44 pm

I was wondering what are some good academic arguments for defending marriage and not allowing homosexual couples to be married?

Augustus Este
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Augustus Este » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:45 pm

There aren't any.

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:46 pm

There aren't any. At least, not any good non-religion-derived ones, anyway.

Four-sided Triangles
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Four-sided Triangles » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:46 pm

There aren't any. Sorry, but all of the arguments against it boil down to "Eww!" or "Tradition!" once you strip away the sophistry and the pseudo-logic.
This is why gay marriage will destroy American families.
Gays are made up of gaytrinos and they interact via faggons, which are massless spin 2 particles. They're massless because gays care so much about their weight, and have spin 2, cause that's as much spin as particles can get, and liberals love spin. The exchange of spin 2 particles creates an attractive force between objects, which is why gays are so promiscuous. When gays get "settle down" into a lower energy state by marrying, they release faggon particles in the form of gaydiation. Everyone is a little bit gay, so every human body has some gaytrinos in it, meaning that the gaydiation could cause straight people to be attracted to gays and choose to turn gay.

Oldes
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 03, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Oldes » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:47 pm

Jeebus. That is all.

Four-sided Triangles
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Four-sided Triangles » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:47 pm

Oldes wrote:Jeebus. That is all.

I think he wants good arguments.
Gays are made up of gaytrinos and they interact via faggons, which are massless spin 2 particles. They're massless because gays care so much about their weight, and have spin 2, cause that's as much spin as particles can get, and liberals love spin. The exchange of spin 2 particles creates an attractive force between objects, which is why gays are so promiscuous. When gays get "settle down" into a lower energy state by marrying, they release faggon particles in the form of gaydiation. Everyone is a little bit gay, so every human body has some gaytrinos in it, meaning that the gaydiation could cause straight people to be attracted to gays and choose to turn gay.

The Murtunian Tribes
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Murtunian Tribes » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:47 pm

Augustus Este wrote:There aren't any.

Avenio wrote:There aren't any.

Four-sided Triangles wrote:There aren't any.

I hope you're taking notes.

Zeth Rekia
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Zeth Rekia » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:48 pm

The Murtunian Tribes wrote:
Augustus Este wrote:There aren't any.

Avenio wrote:There aren't any.

Four-sided Triangles wrote:There aren't any.

I hope you're taking notes.

Four-sided Triangles
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Four-sided Triangles » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:48 pm

The Murtunian Tribes wrote:I hope you're taking notes.

Well, it's kinda like asking "What is the sum of 6 and 3?" and expecting a whole bunch of original answers.

New Rogernomics
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 22, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby New Rogernomics » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:49 pm

I want to marry my cellphone, in all seriousness I don't believe in the 'sanctity of marriage'. You should be able to marry whoever and whatever you like within reason.
Herald (Vice-Delegate) of Lazarus
"Solidarity forever..."
Hoping for Peace in Israel and Palestine
  • Former First Citizen (PM) of Lazarus
  • Former Proedroi (Minister) of Foreign Affairs of Lazarus
  • Former Lazarus Delegate (Humane Republic of Lazarus, 2015)
  • Minister of Culture & Media (Humane Republic of Lazarus)
  • Foreign Minister of The Ascendancy (RIP, and purged)
  • Senator of The Ascendancy (RIP, and purged)
  • Interior Commissioner of Lazarus (Pre-People's Republic of Lazarus)
  • At some point a member of the Grey family...then father vanished...
  • Foreign Minister of The Last Kingdom (RIP)
  • ADN:DSA Rep for Eastern Roman Empire
  • Honoratus Servant of the Holy Land (Eastern Roman Empire)
  • UN/WA Delegate of Trans Atlantice (RIP)

Zeth Rekia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Zeth Rekia » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:50 pm

New Rogernomics wrote:I want to marry my cellphone, in all seriousness I don't believe in the 'sanctity of marriage'. You should be able to marry whoever and whatever you like within reason.

I prefer that you should be able to marry anything, regardless of reason.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:50 pm

There aren't any.
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

The Murtunian Tribes
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Murtunian Tribes » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:50 pm

Four-sided Triangles wrote:
The Murtunian Tribes wrote:I hope you're taking notes.

Well, it's kinda like asking "What is the sum of 6 and 3?" and expecting a whole bunch of original answers.

My point exactly.

Yuktova
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Yuktova » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:51 pm

Four-sided Triangles wrote:There aren't any. Sorry, but all of the arguments against it boil down to "Eww!" or "Tradition!" once you strip away the sophistry and the pseudo-logic.

I think for once we agree on something about humans :)
I'm Morrissey... Nice to meet you.
Goldsaver said: This is murder, not a romantic date!

Four-sided Triangles
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Four-sided Triangles » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:52 pm

New Rogernomics wrote:You should be able to marry whoever and whatever you like within reason.

What if I want to marry outside of reason?

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:52 pm

Nornalhorst wrote:I was wondering what are some good academic arguments for defending marriage and not allowing homosexual couples to be married?

Defending marriage by... not letting people get married? Perhaps we should defend free speech by not allowing you to speak.

This isn't meant to be serious, however.... Merely to equate two absurdities.
Last edited by Tekania on Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Such heroic nonsense!

Four-sided Triangles
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Four-sided Triangles » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:52 pm

Yuktova wrote:I think for once we agree on something about humans :)

Did we have arguments before about something?

New Sapienta
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Sapienta » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:53 pm

There are none. Nothing that doesn't have to do with religion, anyway.
Last edited by New Sapienta on Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zeth Rekia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Zeth Rekia » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:53 pm

Yuktova wrote:
Four-sided Triangles wrote:There aren't any. Sorry, but all of the arguments against it boil down to "Eww!" or "Tradition!" once you strip away the sophistry and the pseudo-logic.

I think for once we agree on something about humans :)

They bring up age old discussions over and over again? That they don't utilize the search button?

Jedi8246
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi8246 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:54 pm

Becaz gays Are Saytan's waz of temptin us good people into sens. They will poyson ar' minds with eval an' rayp our chilldran.
Official Member of the Fall of Gods RP Council
Conservative Morality wrote:When you call Bieber feminine, you insult all women.

Agadar wrote:Next thing you know, God turns out to be some weird green space monster with tentacles and a monocle.

Khadgar wrote:Oddly enough, a lot of people who are plotting to harm other people aren't really interested in legal niceties.
Rank #87 in World Cup
Factbook
Jedi8246 is a far-right social libertarian. He is also a non-interventionist and somewhat culturally conservative. Jedi8246's scores (from 0 to 10):
Economic issues: +9.53 right
Social issues: -7.91 libertarian
Foreign policy: -7.32 non-interventionist
Cultural identification: +0.92 conservative

SpartAmerica
Civil Servant

Founded: Dec 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

YES

Postby SpartAmerica » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:58 pm

There are some. 1 Huge one is the fact that for thousands of years marriage has been between a man and woman.
There is a HUGE difference between gay MARRIAGE and gay relationships. I am a devout Evangelical Christian (Tebow) and i am against gays, however if they want to choose that orientation they have that right. I don't agree with it, but it is their choice to be homosexual. However, MARRIAGE is sacred and has never been between a man and woman for thousands of years.

New Sapienta
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Sapienta » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:59 pm

SpartAmerica wrote:There are some. 1 Huge one is the fact that for thousands of years marriage has been between a man and woman.
There is a HUGE difference between gay MARRIAGE and gay relationships. I am a devout Evangelical Christian (Tebow) and i am against gays, however if they want to choose that orientation they have that right. I don't agree with it, but it is their choice to be homosexual. However, MARRIAGE is sacred and has never been between a man and woman for thousands of years.

If we are going to follow it purely on tradition, we better re-institute the slave trade, as that has existed for thousands of years.
Last edited by New Sapienta on Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Four-sided Triangles
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Four-sided Triangles » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:59 pm

SpartAmerica wrote:However, MARRIAGE is sacred and has never been between a man and woman for thousands of years.

Then why start now? Ban straight marriage!
Last edited by Four-sided Triangles on Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Murtunian Tribes
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Murtunian Tribes » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:00 pm

SpartAmerica wrote:There are some. 1 Huge one is the fact that for thousands of years marriage has been between a man and woman.

Ok, that was one argument. And it was terrible. And I think you knew it was.

Aquophia
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Aquophia » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:00 pm

Best argument ive heard is that it will open the doors for other types of unconventional marriages such as polygamy or a marriage to your pet.

Personally, I dont see a problem there. Even if the dog lovers got all up in arms, there is no way you could ever legalize marriage between a man and beast since an animal cant give consent.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General