NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] A Decriminalization of Suicide

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Roman Catholic Church
Civil Servant

Founded: Jan 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Roman Catholic Church » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:52 am

This is wrong! Suicide is not right no matter how you look at! It's disrespectful to life and all that it means to be human! This must be repelled! (if it's not to late.)

Campinia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Campinia » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:05 am

Roman Catholic Church wrote:This is wrong! Suicide is not right no matter how you look at! It's disrespectful to life and all that it means to be human! This must be repelled! (if it's not to late.)

It is, unless you manage to write a succesful repeal. Seeing the massive support this proposal got, don't count on it.
Heeding the Call, One and For All: UDL

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:41 am

Roman Catholic Church wrote:This is wrong! Suicide is not right no matter how you look at! It's disrespectful to life and all that it means to be human! This must be repelled! (if it's not to late.)

The World seems to disagree with you.

I would say "Get used to it", but The Rich Port seems to sometimes define the WA in terms of beliefs and practices.
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Cowardly Pacifists
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cowardly Pacifists » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:10 pm

Luckily this wasn't a "Suicide Appreciation Act." Nations are not now required to celebrate or encourage suicide. The Act just acknowledges that the decision to commit suicide isn't necessarily a "criminal" one - in the same way that it is criminal to decide to rob a bank or shoot your spouse.

Though I agree that a well-worded moral argument may persuade some that this should be repealed, the thing just passed with a landslide. I think this is one of those resolutions that you may just have to live with or leave the WA over.

Granted, many of the Theocracies of the WA received quite a blow to their national sovereignty with the passage of this act...
The We Already Surrender of Cowardly Pacifists

Warning: Sometimes uses puppets.
Another Warning: Posts from this nation are always OOC.

Unibot II
Senator

Founded: Jan 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot II » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:28 pm

Bears Armed wrote:
Unibot II wrote:
"I can only wager a guess that Jimmy Stewart was a reformed criminal in Bears Armed," said Eduard with a sneer.

"Such a limited imagination, it seems... and combined with such blatant unconcern even for the emotional impact that a person committing suicide would have on their kinsfolk and friends, let alone how that self-slaughter might harm their prospects in the afterlife?
"Hwhat truly lurks behind your Human-seeming guise,
Mr Heir? A computer? Or maybeso a zombie? It clearly isn't any type of being that possesses a soul..."

"I pity you, I hrreally do..."

Artorrios o SouthWoods,
ChairBear, Bears Armed Mission at the World Assembly.

"If this is all about one's prospects in Bearie Heaven; surely the threat of Bearie Hell would deter little bears from committing suicide more so than some ridiculous incarceration in a Bearie Penitentiary? Besides dropping the honey, one of the few things that this little criminal bear would have to think about in Bearie Prison would be suicide. I question the impact that becoming a criminal and being sent to prison away from one's family would have on their Bearie kinsfolk and friends and I further question why on Earth should the government be criminalizing bears on the basis that their actions will ruin their prospects of getting in Bearie Heaven when that would seem to me to be an individual bear's choice. Surely a bear should have the freedom to decide whether a bear wants to go to Bearie Heaven or Bearie Hell!? Or else being in Bearie Heaven doesn't mean much, they would simply be a civilization of Obedient bears, not a crowd of necessarily Virtuous bears," said Eduard.
Vocenae wrote:Unibot, you have won NS.
General Halcones wrote:Look up to Unibot as an example.
Member of Gholgoth | The Capitalis de Societate of The United Defenders League (UDL) | Org. Join Date: 25/05/2008
Unibotian Factbook // An Analysis of NationStates Generations // The Gameplay Alignment Test // NS Weather // How do I join the UDL?
World Assembly Card Gallery // The Unibotian Life Expectancy Index // Proudly Authored 9 GA Res., 14 SC Res. // Commended by SC#78;
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Duty is Eternal, Justice is Imminent: UDL

Embolalia
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Embolalia » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:11 pm

Yes! You should repel it! Of course, given the support it got, it won't go anywhere. So that repellent force will just shove you away, away from the World Assembly until we don't have to deal with you anymore.

Or did you mean repeal?

-E. Rory Hywel
WA Ambassador for Embolalia
Do unto others as you would have done unto you.
Bible quote? No, that's just common sense.
/ˌɛmboʊˈlɑːliːʌ/
The United Commonwealth of Embolalia

Gafin Gower, Prime minister
E. Rory Hywel, Ambassador to the World Assembly
Gwaredd LLwyd, Lieutenant Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author: GA#95, GA#107, GA#132, GA#185
Philimbesi wrote:Repeal, resign, or relax.

Embassy Exchange
EBC News
My mostly worthless blog
Economic Left/Right: -5.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
Liberal atheist bisexual, and proud of it.
@marcmack wrote:I believe we can build a better world! Of course, it'll take a whole lot of rock, water & dirt. Also, not sure where to put it."

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:54 pm

Cowardly Pacifists wrote:Luckily this wasn't a "Suicide Appreciation Act."

There we go!
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Damanucus
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 10, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Damanucus » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:11 pm

Stephanie seats herself down, placing her head in her hands.

What have I done?

Stephanie Orman
Representative, Nomadic Peoples of Damanucus

Libraria and Ausitoria
Negotiator

Founded: May 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Libraria and Ausitoria » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:18 am

May we congratulate Unibot II for their success?

The Rich Port wrote:
The Republic of Lanos wrote:2nd resolution in a row with a uberlandslide. :blink: Has this ever happened before?

It weirds me out less that it happened twice, since it's probably the same reason why it happened the first time; it's why it happened in the first place anyway that weirds me out most.

If we go and get another 10,000 in favour of the next one...
What is going on? I'm sure someone's been getting creative with their counting.
The Aestorian Commonwealth - Pax Prosperitas - Gloria in Maere - (Factbook)

Disclaimer: Notwithstanding any mention of their nations, Ausitoria and its canon does not exist nor impact the canon of many IFC & SACTO & closed-region nations; and it is harassment to presume it does. However in accordance with my open-door policy the converse does not apply: they still impact Ausitoria's canon.
○ Commonwealth Capital (Bank) ○ ○ Commonwealth Connect (Bank Treaty) ○ ○ SeaScape (Shipping & Energy) ○
(██████████████████████████████║║◙█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙[█]

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:56 am

Libraria and Ausitoria wrote:May we congratulate Unibot II for their success?

NO. Because Uni allowed people who probably thought a lot about ending their lives in order to end their pain and/or their burden on their healthy family members a guarantee that they and said family members won't be thrown in a prison for trying! >:(

And, also, because Uni also gave a guarantee of zero stupid prison time for people who clearly have problems and need professional psychological help, and not be treated as the equals of murderers, rapists, and gangsters! >:(

SARCASM TAG GET= COOKIE 4 JOO
Last edited by The Rich Port on Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

The Eternal Kawaii
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 21, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Eternal Kawaii » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:01 pm

Unibot II wrote:Surely a bear should have the freedom to decide whether a bear wants to go to Bearie Heaven or Bearie Hell!? Or else being in Bearie Heaven doesn't mean much, they would simply be a civilization of Obedient bears, not a crowd of necessarily Virtuous bears," said Eduard.

The esteemed Unibotian representative is, of course, an authority on Virtue.
It is, after all, easy to be one if one admits to no other moral authority than one's own ego.
Learn More about The Eternal Kawaii from our Factbook!

"Aside from being illegal, it's not like Max Barry Day was that bad of a resolution." -- Glen Rhodes
"as a member of the GA elite, I don't have to take this" -- Vancouvia

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:52 am

Unibot II wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:
"Such a limited imagination, it seems... and combined with such blatant unconcern even for the emotional impact that a person committing suicide would have on their kinsfolk and friends, let alone how that self-slaughter might harm their prospects in the afterlife?
"Hwhat truly lurks behind your Human-seeming guise,
Mr Heir? A computer? Or maybeso a zombie? It clearly isn't any type of being that possesses a soul..."

"I pity you, I hrreally do..."

Artorrios o SouthWoods,

"If this is all about one's prospects in Bearie Heaven; surely the threat of Bearie Hell would deter little bears from committing suicide more so than some ridiculous incarceration in a Bearie Penitentiary? Besides dropping the honey, one of the few things that this little criminal bear would have to think about in Bearie Prison would be suicide. I question the impact that becoming a criminal and being sent to prison away from one's family would have on their Bearie kinsfolk and friends and I further question why on Earth should the government be criminalizing bears on the basis that their actions will ruin their prospects of getting in Bearie Heaven when that would seem to me to be an individual bear's choice. Surely a bear should have the freedom to decide whether a bear wants to go to Bearie Heaven or Bearie Hell!? Or else being in Bearie Heaven doesn't mean much, they would simply be a civilization of Obedient bears, not a crowd of necessarily Virtuous bears," said Eduard.

"Oh, I'm not hrreally too worried about our people. Suicide is a pretty rare ocurrence amongst Ursines, and probably would be anyhows even for any Ursines who don't follow one faith or another -- or maybeso two, or even three, faiths simultaneously -- as almost all of us do, because we tend to be too stubborn to just hrroll over and die. And, as you say, people should be free to make their own choices of salvation or damnation, although naturally I hope that they would prefer the former and that most people who truly believe in any faith according to whose teachings suicide is a sin would be wise enough in most cases to make the hrright decisions.
"But now think of those people who don't
fully believe in any faith, who maybeso -- bearing in mind how outright hostile to religion some nations' governments are -- might not even have been exposed to any faith's teachings on the first paw: The fact that they themselves do not believe in any Higher Powers doesn't necessarily mean that no Higher Powers are interested in them, after all, and so even they are likely to be subject to post-mortality judgement for their actions -- maybeso by the Powers associated with, and according to the rules of, the last faith that any of their ancestors followed -- too. And as forbidding national governments from trying to deter suicide makes suicide a bit easier, and therefore probably a bit more likely to occur, people who are tempted to commit suicide might then face supernatural punishment that far exceeds whatever mundane penalties those governments would otherwise threaten them with. Think of the poor agnostics and atheists!"

"Oh, and before you ask hwhat business those hypothetical foreigners' spiritual welfare is of mine...
"Back hwhen
Artos Ursios was still known only as a travelling preacher in the southern parts of the island of Bruttain, before His death on the stake and subsequent miraculous resurrection revealed Him to be truly the son of the Great Bear, there was an occasion when one bear from his audience asked Him to discuss the fourth of the Eight Instructions: 'Bear shall be true to Kin', asking Him "Who, then, are my Kin?" And Artos Ursios replied unto that sceptic with the 'Parable of the Generous Brock', ending with the statement "And therefore you should treat all people of every kind as Kin". And as I myself am an Ursion, that is hwhy the spiritual welfare of those foreigners is a part of my business."

Artorrios o SouthWoods,

OOC: If any of your characters actually bother to check in a copy of the Ursions' scriptures, they'll find that the 'Parable of the Generous Brock' there is verrry similar to the Christian 'Parable of the Good Samaritan'...)
Last edited by Bears Armed on Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:56 am, edited 5 times in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Dukopolious
Minister

Founded: Jun 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dukopolious » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:44 am

Is there a repeal for this somewhere?

Plus, this would encourage suicide. Perhaps treating suicide as some sort of mental illness related to advanced forms of depression?
Mallorea and Riva should resign

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives