NATION

PASSWORD

[Passed] Legalizing Prostitution

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Dilange
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 09, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Dilange » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:07 am

Zissi wrote:10 hours ago: Zissi was reclassified from "New York Times Democracy" to "Corporate Bordello".

The Free Land of Zissi is a huge, environmentally stunning nation, notable for its museums and concert halls.. Its compassionate, hard-working, intelligent population of 569 million are effectively ruled by a group of massive corporations, who run for political office and provide their well-off citizens with world-class goods and services. Their poorer citizens, however, are mostly starving to death while being urged to go out and get real jobs. The populace has reasonably extensive civil rights, although these are mostly aimed at allowing them to buy whatever they like

The legalization of prostitution has been a disaster for the free lands of Zissi. The laws ending the ban on prostitution and any regulations on it have effectivly destroyed our social safety net and and forced poorer citizens into prostitution as well as causing a massive increase in trafficing. While we respect the rights of other nations to legalize it if they with in their own borders we do not feel it is appropriate for this body to force it's legalization on the rest of us (though less intrusive resolution on trafficing would certainly be welcome). As a result our parliament has voted to leave the WA.

Your not in the WA buh-bye.

Zissi
Lobbyist

Founded: May 16, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Zissi » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:21 am

Dilange wrote:
Zissi wrote:10 hours ago: Zissi was reclassified from "New York Times Democracy" to "Corporate Bordello".

The Free Land of Zissi is a huge, environmentally stunning nation, notable for its museums and concert halls.. Its compassionate, hard-working, intelligent population of 569 million are effectively ruled by a group of massive corporations, who run for political office and provide their well-off citizens with world-class goods and services. Their poorer citizens, however, are mostly starving to death while being urged to go out and get real jobs. The populace has reasonably extensive civil rights, although these are mostly aimed at allowing them to buy whatever they like

The legalization of prostitution has been a disaster for the free lands of Zissi. The laws ending the ban on prostitution and any regulations on it have effectivly destroyed our social safety net and and forced poorer citizens into prostitution as well as causing a massive increase in trafficing. While we respect the rights of other nations to legalize it if they with in their own borders we do not feel it is appropriate for this body to force it's legalization on the rest of us (though less intrusive resolution on trafficing would certainly be welcome). As a result our parliament has voted to leave the WA.

Nope not anymore......

Dilange
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 09, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Dilange » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:26 am

Zissi wrote:
Dilange wrote:

Cool bye, you got sad due to legislation and left. Oh well.

Nope not anymore......

RB Rebecca Black
Envoy

Founded: Sep 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby RB Rebecca Black » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:29 am

I never knew something this simple could cause so much controversy. It is only in the interest of women and their bodies.
Political compass:
Economic Left/Right: 1.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.62

‎"If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?"

- Frederic Bastiat

Suidwes-Afrika
Ambassador

Founded: May 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Suidwes-Afrika » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:00 am

RB Rebecca Black wrote:I never knew something this simple could cause so much controversy. It is only in the interest of women and their bodies.

It was not passed in the interests of women, RB. It was passed to encourage vices and the exploitation of women in the name of promoting civil rights. There is a time when a nation must draw the line and say, "So far and no further." While I'm all for civil rights and sexual privacy, I draw the line when prostitution is about to legalized, the same practice that was specifically banned in my nation just a year ago as part of an overall health program designed to combat our HIV epidemic.
Die Kaplyn - Bok van Blerk

The Struggle against Apartheid in Suidwes-Afrika: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=135846

"No man has a right to do what he pleases, except when he pleases to do right." - Charles Simmons

"Violent and brutal means can only lead to totalitarian and tyrannical ends." - P.W. Botha

Lestaria and Neuchies
Secretary

Founded: Feb 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Lestaria and Neuchies » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:14 am

You do realize the WA has nothing to do with that, correct? A nation's reclassification comes solely from their own choices on issues that pop up from within their own citizenry. If you're now classified as something else, then that's your own doing. Because Lestaria and Neuchies, before this proposal passed, was a "Left-Leaning College State," and has since gone on to remain classified as such past it, only to be changed to an "Inoffensive Centrist Democracy" very recently after a choice that was made by our government on an issue unrelated to this resolution.

However, since such a knee-jerk reaction seems to be the norm for the losing side of this bill, I doubt that crossed your mind. As much as I doubt you'll bother to read this, if your mention of leaving the WA actually holds any truth.

Zissi
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Zissi » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:22 am

The re-classification happened just as I got a telegram stating that this resolution went into effect. Since I hadn't answered any issues for the previous 24 hrs I can't see what else caused this....

Alqania
Minister

Founded: Aug 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Alqania » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:23 am

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:
Dilange wrote:Well this passed, Im not going to follow it and neither is my country or people.

Darenjo wrote:We will add this soon-to-be resolution to the "No Enforcement Allowed" list.

The Republic of Lanos wrote:We will not leave the WA but ignore and not enforce this shit in Lanos. Freedom over tyranny.

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:Ms. Harper has written in to confirm that Charlotte Ryberg has officially violated the said resolution.

Windica wrote:The Far-Reaching Holy Empire of Windica has done likewie.

Then I'm sure none of you will have difficulty locating the "resign" button, provided for your convenience at the very top of the WA page. Because it is laughably pointless to willingly associate your nation with an organization whose entire existence is predicated on the assumption that members will do what it tells them when you never had any intention of doing so. There's no cause for debating proposals, striving to improve them, strenuously objecting to them, trying to repeal them, hunting for loopholes to avoid outright defiance, or even complaining that the entire operation serves to erode sovereignty, if everything that passes here is essentially meaningless. Not to mention it's just shitty player etiquette to ignore the professional courtesy you owe to your fellow authors (who don't want their resolutions nullified any more than you would yours) and/or members who, unlike yourselves, joined this outfit in good faith.

But hey, yeah, apparently you all are "roleplayers" now! Good for you! 8)

"The Queendom, though vehemently opposed to this resolution, would like to echo the sentiments so eloquently expressed by the Kennyites.

In regards to Alqanian policy, we are simply exploiting the many loopholes in this deeply flawed and ill written resolution to keep things as they are. This resolution did not really have any effect, if one knows how to implement creative solutions."

Lord Raekevik chose his last words carefully and offered a smile to the Kennyite delegation.
Queendom of Alqania
Amor vincit omnia et nos cedamus amori
Former Speaker of the Gay Regional Parliament
Represented in the WA by Ambassador Lord Raekevikinfo
and Deputy Ambassador Princess Christineinfo
Author of GA#178
Member of UNOG and the Stonewall Alliance

Zissi
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Zissi » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:27 am

Can't see how the reclassification was caused by an issue.....

77 minutes ago: Zissi resigned from the World Assembly.
12 hours ago: Zissi was reclassified from "New York Times Democracy" to "Corporate Bordello".
1 day 19 hours ago: Zissi voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Commend Glen-Rhodes".
2 days 4 hours ago: Zissi voted against the World Assembly Resolution "Legalizing Prostitution".
3 days 12 hours ago: Following new legislation in Zissi, schoolchildren have twice-weekly sex education classes.

Alqania
Minister

Founded: Aug 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Alqania » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:30 am

Zissi wrote:Can't see how the reclassification was caused by an issue.....

77 minutes ago: Zissi resigned from the World Assembly.
12 hours ago: Zissi was reclassified from "New York Times Democracy" to "Corporate Bordello".
1 day 19 hours ago: Zissi voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Commend Glen-Rhodes".
2 days 4 hours ago: Zissi voted against the World Assembly Resolution "Legalizing Prostitution".
3 days 12 hours ago: Following new legislation in Zissi, schoolchildren have twice-weekly sex education classes.

OOC

Your interpretation that the reclassification was caused by the passing of this proposal could be correct. When a proposal passes, the stats change and when the stats change, the WA category may or may not change. I don't know how anyone would come to any other conclusion.
Queendom of Alqania
Amor vincit omnia et nos cedamus amori
Former Speaker of the Gay Regional Parliament
Represented in the WA by Ambassador Lord Raekevikinfo
and Deputy Ambassador Princess Christineinfo
Author of GA#178
Member of UNOG and the Stonewall Alliance

Shadowlandistan
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowlandistan » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:48 am

Shadowlandistan is pleased to see this proposal pass in the World Assembly. Prohibition, as a whole, brings more violence, eliminates regulation, and significantly increases the power of the black market.
Last edited by Shadowlandistan on Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Economic Left/Right: -6.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.54

You are an anarcho-collectivistic.

Cosmopolitan 43%- Nationalistic
Secular 104% -Fundamentalist
Visionary 72%- Reactionary
Anarchistic 76%- Authoritarian
Communistic 34%- Capitalistic
Pacifist 47%- Militaristic
Ecological 16%- Anthropocentric

Adamarctica-Oz
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 12, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Adamarctica-Oz » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:28 pm

The Ambassador Salura stands to the microphone, opens her notepad and starts to speak

Honored members of the Assembly, Adamarctica-Oz is pleased to see this bill come to pass. The sexual black market allows international organised crime to flourish. While the Wizard-Empire accepts the moral objections of our fellow assembly members we believe that criminalization of what is already a large hidden industry only leads to the exploitation of young men and women, often foreign, for the benefit of gangsters.

Salura adjusts her glasses and takes her seat. "I really hope this goes down well" she thinks to herself.
Ambassador Salura D'hendri of Adamarctica-Oz in The Library

Lorigahistan
Civilian

Founded: Sep 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Age of consent modification?

Postby Lorigahistan » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:15 pm

The resolution as passed makes it illegal to prevent any sapient being from becoming a prostitute. Can we get a modification such that it has an age of consent waiver on the "shall not prohibit any sapient being" clause?

Quelesh
Minister

Founded: Jun 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Quelesh » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:19 pm

Lorigahistan wrote:The resolution as passed makes it illegal to prevent any sapient being from becoming a prostitute. Can we get a modification such that it has an age of consent waiver on the "shall not prohibit any sapient being" clause?

That's already covered by GAR4.
"I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am." - Samuel Johnson

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
Political Compass | Economic Left/Right: -7.75 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -10.00

The New Vegas Strip
Civil Servant

Founded: May 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Vegas Strip » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:00 pm

Suidwes-Afrika wrote:
RB Rebecca Black wrote:I never knew something this simple could cause so much controversy. It is only in the interest of women and their bodies.

It was not passed in the interests of women, RB. It was passed to encourage vices and the exploitation of women in the name of promoting civil rights. There is a time when a nation must draw the line and say, "So far and no further." While I'm all for civil rights and sexual privacy, I draw the line when prostitution is about to legalized, the same practice that was specifically banned in my nation just a year ago as part of an overall health program designed to combat our HIV epidemic.

it was passed in favor of women. Women and men have a choice, they can now sell themselves for sex. Gone are the days of fat, STD-ridden whores standing out on street corners while shady men pay them $$$. Now, we aim to improve the sex industry by directly screening for health issues, enduring the workers are paid well, and treated as human-beings.

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:18 pm

The New Vegas Strip wrote:
Suidwes-Afrika wrote:

it was passed in favor of women. Women and men have a choice, they can now sell themselves for sex. Gone are the days of fat, STD-ridden whores standing out on street corners while shady men pay them $$$. Now, we aim to improve the sex industry by directly screening for health issues, enduring the workers are paid well, and treated as human-beings.

All of which you could have done before this passed.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

Darenjo
Minister

Founded: Mar 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Darenjo » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:54 pm

:palm:

"Biggest. Loophole. Ever..."

"We apologize to the Kennyite and Alqanian delegations, and we are pleased to announce that Darenjo should soon be in full compliance."

:D
Dr. Park Si-Jung, Ambassador to the World Assembly for The People's Democracy of Darenjo

Proud Member of Eastern Islands of Dharma!

Great Azarath
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Azarath » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:56 pm

Lorigahistan wrote:The resolution as passed makes it illegal to prevent any sapient being from becoming a prostitute. Can we get a modification such that it has an age of consent waiver on the "shall not prohibit any sapient being" clause?

Well there is a previous law preventing people from having sex with a minor.
From the Ministry of Foreign Affairs,
Dr. Xzavier M.
Leader of The Kingdom of Great Azarath

Xanthal
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 16, 2005
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Re: [Passed] Legalizing Prostitution

Postby Xanthal » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:36 pm

The Federation, for reasons already made clear in the previous debate on this matter, opposes the resolution, and hopes for its repeal. However, Xanthal agrees with the Kennyite ambassador in that we take our obligations to the World Assembly very seriously. It is our intent to comply in good faith with Legalizing Prostitution as quickly as the appropriate institutions can be put in place to do so in a manner consistent with the best interests of sex workers, their clients, and the communities in which they operate.
Technology Tier: 9
Arcane Level: 4
Influence Type: 8

Suidwes-Afrika
Ambassador

Founded: May 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Suidwes-Afrika » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:31 pm

For the time being, the Suidwes-Afrikan Parliament will put the issue on hold. While acknowledging prostitution's legal status in the state, this status in question, although officially in place, has been temporarily suspended with the rights we have as a sovereign government. Proper regulations for the industry and numerous loopholes to be exploited will be discussed in the coming months.

Until then, consider it de-facto illegal here.
Die Kaplyn - Bok van Blerk

The Struggle against Apartheid in Suidwes-Afrika: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=135846

"No man has a right to do what he pleases, except when he pleases to do right." - Charles Simmons

"Violent and brutal means can only lead to totalitarian and tyrannical ends." - P.W. Botha

The Eternal Kawaii
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 21, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Eternal Kawaii » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:57 pm

Great Azarath wrote:

Well there is a previous law preventing people from having sex with a minor.

Why stop there? We are sure the esteemed ambassador could pass a resolution legalizing child prostitution under the banner of protecting the civil rights of children.
Learn More about The Eternal Kawaii from our Factbook!

"Aside from being illegal, it's not like Max Barry Day was that bad of a resolution." -- Glen Rhodes
"as a member of the GA elite, I don't have to take this" -- Vancouvia

Peoples Republic of CahmkhatiKa
Political Columnist

Founded: Sep 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Peoples Republic of CahmkhatiKa » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:06 pm

This is an outrage!!!! My nation will not stand for such a rediculous proposition as being FORCED to legalize prostitution and as such RESIGN, effective immediately, from this sham you call a "World Assembly"
Last edited by Peoples Republic of CahmkhatiKa on Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Libraria and Ausitoria
Negotiator

Founded: May 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Libraria and Ausitoria » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:30 am

Suidwes-Afrika wrote:Proper regulations for the industry and numerous loopholes to be exploited will be discussed in the coming months.

Until then, consider it de-facto illegal here.

Loopholes? We are having an interesting discussion about them with regard to Charlotte Ryberg's proposal.

Please consider yourself de-facto breaking the law. (The international law).
The Aestorian Commonwealth - Pax Prosperitas - Gloria in Maere - (Factbook)

Disclaimer: Notwithstanding any mention of their nations, Ausitoria and its canon does not exist nor impact the canon of many IFC & SACTO & closed-region nations; and it is harassment to presume it does. However in accordance with my open-door policy the converse does not apply: they still impact Ausitoria's canon.
○ Commonwealth Capital (Bank) ○ ○ Commonwealth Connect (Bank Treaty) ○ ○ SeaScape (Shipping & Energy) ○
(██████████████████████████████║║◙█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙[█]

Maroza
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 28, 2011
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Maroza » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:32 pm

The Holy Empire of Maroza wishes to inform the WA that we are leaving. We will not be a part of the corrupt authoritarian organization any more.
Current level 5: Peacetime
Find a Helmet
Put on a Helmet

Find me someone who does not support the revolutionary sciences and the technology of peace and they will be shot as traitors to the revolution.~Aethrys
The disease first struck a wealthy nation with low population density, an adequate health care system and naturally declining population.

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:20 pm

Maroza wrote:The Holy Empire of Maroza wishes to inform the WA that we are leaving. We will not be a part of the corrupt authoritarian organization any more.

Dibs on his office supplies!

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives