NATION

PASSWORD

The Struggle for Freedom : Herlic OOC

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Muratonia
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

The Struggle for Freedom : Herlic OOC

Postby Muratonia » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:25 am

Ok I'm not exactly new to NationStates but I'm not the best RP'er in the world, please bear that in mind.

Background
My nation is almost a complete dictatorship, it has no enshrined Civil Rights, however malevolent dictators have been repeatedly overthrown by the nation's heavily modernised and highly trained army. The army is a servant of the dictator but has kept the power to remove the said ruler from power, being an independent institution. Of course this raises the issue of a military coup.

Civilians are also able to equip themselves with firearms, however they are limited to prevent them from overpowering the police force. This helps prevent complete domination by the military by the fact that they will fight with competence against unwanted oppression (Muratonian citizens undergo rigorous training and psychological trials before they are allowed use of firearms). Another aspect is that the army still needs the support of the citizenry and if they aren't in favour of this coup then they will perform a massive general strike (similar to the real world March 1920 strike of Berlin) which will prevent the military from seizing complete power.

The political system in Muratonia has been described as a "democratically elected dictatorship". The Monarch rules with complete and total dominion, and with the final say on issue he personally addresses. His cabinet have strict guidelines and act upon his behalf, the King may discharge a member of cabinet at any given time.

The king is elected, rather than given the title upon the death of a parent. 3 Major parties exist in Muratonia and the citizens vote every 7 years upon whether to support the Monarch or cast a vote of no confidence. If the vote goes to the no confidence stage the Monarch is asked by the most senior ranking General, The Prime General, to step down. If the Monarch refuses then the military initiate an attack upon the palace and eliminate all those who will not surrender including the Monarch. If they agree to step down then they are allowed seven days before they must leave. The citizens then must vote for the party who they wish to become their "benevolent dictator".

The reason for this is because of Muratonia's past. 400 years ago,the country was torn apart by revolts and bureaucratic ineptitude before a Bill was passed allowing the President at the time emergency powers. This Bill allowed the President to effectively quell most rebellions and get the economy back on track. These powers were handed to the next ruler and the next one after that until finally forming the basis of government you see today.

The issue
Muratonia has a few colonies scattered across the World. One of these is a large Island called Herlic. Back in 1730, Muratonian settlers fought and triumphed over a foreign power who had also tried to settle on the island. Herlic was then fully under Muratonian control.

The people of Herlic are now asking for their independence which the King has refused to grant on the grounds that nearly 42% of the population are of Muratonian descent compared to 53% that are Herlican. This has caused massive unrest on the island with Herlicans and Muratonians fighting in the streets and Muratonian soldiers being picked off by Guerrilla fighters in the Island's extensive jungles.

At home, there has been growing support for a new democratic party that promise to end the dictatorial ways of the current Administration and install a "true democracy for Muratonia. The Muratonia Democratic Party also wish to relinquish all colonies and grant them independence and support.

The RP
I would like this is be a really difficult situation for my Kingdom, perhaps even ending with a total overthrow of the current political system. I also want this to attract foreign attention, either for or against the kingdom and it's regime.

Some could argue against for keeping colonies and the political system, while some side with the King for showing defiance and so called "Intelligence" (it's how the king justifies his decisions, I'm not saying he isn't intelligent because he is damn smart but other leaders could find him foolish while some a genius).

I hope the NS community will discuss this with me, raise any issues and hopefully create a fantastic RP :)
Thank you in advance.

NOTE: I am not the most creative of people and sometimes have a hard time formulating my ideas into sentences but I'll try my best.

Monarchist Supporters:
Lowenmahne
Boshuvania
Vetega(later rebels)
Lost Earth
Urdnotia
USSR

Republic Supporters:
Relloventia
MariVelasca
Lutvikka
Vetega(initially Monarchist)
Carlosa
Sigvardia

NOTE:
No longer accepting anymore military intervention but the door is still open for financial aid and public declarations of support.

Purple boundary : Monarchist influence
Dark red: HLA influence, HLA only control the jungle for now but have influence and support in the south.

Last edited by Muratonia on Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:07 am, edited 5 times in total.
Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -0.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.26

Relloventia
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Relloventia » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:28 am

Muratonia wrote:Ok I'm not exactly new to NationStates but I'm not the best RP'er in the world, please bear that in mind.

Background
My nation is almost a complete dictatorship, it has no enshrined Civil Rights, however malevolent dictators have been repeatedly overthrown by the nation's heavily modernised and highly trained army. The army is a servant of the dictator but has kept the power to remove the said ruler from power, being an independent institution. Of course this raises the issue of a military coup.

Civilians are also able to equip themselves with firearms, however they are limited to prevent them from overpowering the police force. This helps prevent complete domination by the military by the fact that they will fight with competence against unwanted oppression (Muratonian citizens undergo rigorous training and psychological trials before they are allowed use of firearms). Another aspect is that the army still needs the support of the citizenry and if they aren't in favour of this coup then they will perform a massive general strike (similar to the real world March 1920 strike of Berlin) which will prevent the military from seizing complete power.

The political system in Muratonia has been described as a "democratically elected dictatorship". The Monarch rules with complete and total dominion, and with the final say on issue he personally addresses. His cabinet have strict guidelines and act upon his behalf, the King may discharge a member of cabinet at any given time.

The king is elected, rather than given the title upon the death of a parent. 3 Major parties exist in Muratonia and the citizens vote every 7 years upon whether to support the Monarch or cast a vote of no confidence. If the vote goes to the no confidence stage the Monarch is asked by the most senior ranking General, The Prime General, to step down. If the Monarch refuses then the military initiate an attack upon the palace and eliminate all those who will not surrender including the Monarch. If they agree to step down then they are allowed seven days before they must leave. The citizens then must vote for the party who they wish to become their "benevolent dictator".

The reason for this is because of Muratonia's past. 400 years ago,the country was torn apart by revolts and bureaucratic ineptitude before a Bill was passed allowing the President at the time emergency powers. This Bill allowed the President to effectively quell most rebellions and get the economy back on track. These powers were handed to the next ruler and the next one after that until finally forming the basis of government you see today.

The issue
Muratonia has a few colonies scattered across the World. One of these is a large Island called Herlic. Back in 1730, Muratonian settlers fought and triumphed over a foreign power who had also tried to settle on the island. Herlic was then fully under Muratonian control.

The people of Herlic are now asking for their independence which the King has refused to grant on the grounds that nearly 42% of the population are of Muratonian descent compared to 53% that are Herlican. This has caused massive unrest on the island with Herlicans and Muratonians fighting in the streets and Muratonian soldiers being picked off by Guerrilla fighters in the Island's extensive jungles.

At home, there has been growing support for a new democratic party that promise to end the dictatorial ways of the current Administration and install a "true democracy for Muratonia. The Muratonia Democratic Party also wish to relinquish all colonies and grant them independence and support.

The RP
I would like this is be a really difficult situation for my Kingdom, perhaps even ending with a total overthrow of the current political system. I also want this to attract foreign attention, either for or against the kingdom and it's regime.

Some could argue against for keeping colonies and the political system, while some side with the King for showing defiance and so called "Intelligence" (it's how the king justifies his decisions, I'm not saying he isn't intelligent because he is damn smart but other leaders could find him foolish while some a genius).

I hope the NS community will discuss this with me, raise any issues and hopefully create a fantastic RP :)
Thank you in advance.

NOTE: I am not the most creative of people and sometimes have a hard time formulating my ideas into sentences but I'll try my best.

I would be willing to get involved, with some of my larger accounts. Mabye supporting a Republic's formation?

MariVelasca
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 17, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby MariVelasca » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:33 am

I could get in on it as well with one of my smaller nations, in order to provide limited military support. I would be in favor of assisting with the formation of a Republic as well. Since the nation I would be using for this RP is small, it would be more for protecting vital population areas and humanitarian missions.
Alliances
Rajesthan
Skyguard Defense Network

Muratonia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Muratonia » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:19 pm

MariVelasca wrote:I could get in on it as well with one of my smaller nations, in order to provide limited military support. I would be in favor of assisting with the formation of a Republic as well. Since the nation I would be using for this RP is small, it would be more for protecting vital population areas and humanitarian missions.

So you would offer to guard major Herlican cities to quell riots and also to help the bereaved? If so that's great, you'd also be in a great position to act as a pressure group. But how would you get your men onto Herlic? I think maybe invited by the Guerrilla forces?
Your political compass

Muratonia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Muratonia » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:20 pm

Relloventia wrote:
Muratonia wrote:Ok I'm not exactly new to NationStates but I'm not the best RP'er in the world, please bear that in mind.

Background

The issue

The RP

Thank you in advance.

I would be willing to get involved, with some of my larger accounts. Mabye supporting a Republic's formation?

Openly supporting the MDP and calling for the King to step down kind of thing?
Your political compass

Muratonia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Muratonia » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:44 pm

Bump
Your political compass

Lenehen
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lenehen » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:54 pm

yeah sounds good to me
Call me lenny

Step 1. Buy a sheep
Step 2. Name it 'Relation'
Congratulations! You now have a relationsheep!
Dread Lady Nathanica wrote:

Double head eagle
Proudly spreads its awesome wings
Sure you're not condor?

RIP 1000 Cats

MariVelasca
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 17, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby MariVelasca » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:00 pm

Muratonia wrote:So you would offer to guard major Herlican cities to quell riots and also to help the bereaved? If so that's great, you'd also be in a great position to act as a pressure group. But how would you get your men onto Herlic? I think maybe invited by the Guerrilla forces?

Yes, as well as to protect the citizenry from any form of military reprisals. I changed my mind, will be using this nation for the RP if you don't mind. However, the humanitarian mission and low-intensity combat role will remain the same, and there will not be a large number of MV forces involved. With what I can send, it can help rebuild and sustain vital infrustrctures, as well as provide field hospitals to aid the wounded of all sides, as well as citizens.

An invitation from the rebels would be a good way of going about getting my nation involve. With the role that I'm proposing, it could free up rebel forces for offensive operations, since they wouldn't have to worry so much about maintaining order in captured cities.
Last edited by MariVelasca on Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alliances
Rajesthan
Skyguard Defense Network

Relloventia
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Relloventia » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:58 pm

Muratonia wrote:
Relloventia wrote:

Openly supporting the MDP and calling for the King to step down kind of thing?

Yup. Exactly.

Lowenmahne
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lowenmahne » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:00 pm

I'd be willing to contributed troops to Muratonia to keep the peace/fight rebels, since we're both dictatorships.
Of all difficulties since the inception of our state, all pale before the challenge of the creation of a demonym.

Tagmatium
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 17, 2004
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Tagmatium » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:10 pm

Sounds a fairly interesting situation.
The above post may or may not be serious.
"For too long, we have been a passive, tolerant society, saying to our citizens: as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone."
North Calaveras wrote:Tagmatium, it was never about pie...

Lutvikkia
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lutvikkia » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:15 pm

Lutvikkia is wating to help the rebels in the effort to be free.

Premislyd
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Premislyd » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:23 pm

Sounds interesting, I'd be willing to chip in some support
Just a heads up, I suffer from [insert stereotypical internet illness here], and will use it as an excuse instead of taking responsibility for my actions.
~Transgendered, bisexual, transsexual, metrosexual, homosexual, Japanophile, heterosexual, transvestite asexual and proud~
Pimps Inc wrote:Swastikas are not allowed in nationstates unless your are RPing as Nazi Germany or sumthing

Muratonia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Muratonia » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:46 am

MariVelasca wrote:Yes, as well as to protect the citizenry from any form of military reprisals. I changed my mind, will be using this nation for the RP if you don't mind. However, the humanitarian mission and low-intensity combat role will remain the same, and there will not be a large number of MV forces involved. With what I can send, it can help rebuild and sustain vital infrustrctures, as well as provide field hospitals to aid the wounded of all sides, as well as citizens.

An invitation from the rebels would be a good way of going about getting my nation involve. With the role that I'm proposing, it could free up rebel forces for offensive operations, since they wouldn't have to worry so much about maintaining order in captured cities.

That sounds great :). I've got no problem with whatever nation you choose to use. I really like the idea of your role because it's not something that the Muratonians can directly attack without international uproar as you are on a mainly humanitarian mission and you are also helping the army which could become grounds for peace or further diplomatic tension.

I think once we sort out all the details of the RP I will open it with some kind of broadcast from the Guerrillas. I'm thinking of calling them something like the Herlican Liberation Army. If you have a better name then by all means throw my way :).

Lutvikkia wrote:Lutvikkia is wating to help the rebels in the effort to be free.

Ok, what form of support were you thinking?

Lowenmahne wrote:I'd be willing to contributed troops to Muratonia to keep the peace/fight rebels, since we're both dictatorships.

Awesome, someone for the other side. So you would be an open supporter of the King? Or this more of a covert role?

Relloventia wrote:Yup. Exactly.

That's good. even if it is only posting messages of your states opinion I would still appreciate your contribution :).

Lenehen wrote:yeah sounds good to me

Tagmatium wrote:Sounds a fairly interesting situation.

So are any of you wanting to get involved at all?

Premislyd wrote:Sounds interesting, I'd be willing to chip in some support

Great :) for which side? And what form of support?
Last edited by Muratonia on Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Your political compass

Boshuvania
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Boshuvania » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:19 am

Firstly, is it still open? If yes, i would like to aid the president of Muratonia to assimilate all rebellion forces. Of course I'm doing this for my own agenda. So, when will it begin and please telegram me when you have started it. Thanks!

Muratonia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Muratonia » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:31 am

Boshuvania wrote:Firstly, is it still open? If yes, i would like to aid the president of Muratonia to assimilate all rebellion forces. Of course I'm doing this for my own agenda. So, when will it begin and please telegram me when you have started it. Thanks!

Of course it's still open, it's not started yet. This was an idea I'd been thinking up for my nation for about a week and now when I had some time I put the idea forward.

I understand that you will be working for reasons of your own. How would you like to help out?

It will begin when I have sorted out all the details and have enough people for both sides involved :).

Thank you for your interest.
Your political compass

Vetega
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 09, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetega » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:34 am

I think that this idea is great. I would like to support the King, then switch sides later on. I'll weave a story into it so that i dont make my empire seem skittish and easy.
Member of GESO

DefCon Level: DefCon 1
1: Total War
2: Mobilization of forces.
3: Standby/Advance Intelligence Protocols
4: Recognition of Conflict/Embargo's and other non-violent threats
5: Peacetime

Donald Trump is evil. He must burn.
See with your mind's eye what your eyes cannot see.
'War is in our blood. It's a part of Vetegan history. We cannot escape who we are, so we've learned to embrace it. Now look at us, the Triumvirate is one the most powerful nations on this world. You can't say we didn't achieve anything else of value now.' -Supreme Commander Izon Destraud the Second

Muratonia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Muratonia » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:36 am

Vetega wrote:I think that this idea is great. I would like to support the King, then switch sides later on. I'll weave a story into it so that i dont make my empire seem skittish and easy.

That'll certainly keep things interesting. Would this be early into the scenario or perhaps later on? Maybe it is triggered by something like an atrocity committed by Muratonian troops?
Your political compass

Vetega
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 09, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetega » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:55 am

Muratonia wrote:
Vetega wrote:I think that this idea is great. I would like to support the King, then switch sides later on. I'll weave a story into it so that i dont make my empire seem skittish and easy.

That'll certainly keep things interesting. Would this be early into the scenario or perhaps later on? Maybe it is triggered by something like an atrocity committed by Muratonian troops?

I'm thinking that this would happen later on. I've got to actually witness some atrocities( Soldiers see it, it would take time for the rumors to reach higher ears and by that time it will be harder for me to make a decision about what side to take.).
I like it.
Member of GESO

DefCon Level: DefCon 1
1: Total War
2: Mobilization of forces.
3: Standby/Advance Intelligence Protocols
4: Recognition of Conflict/Embargo's and other non-violent threats
5: Peacetime

Donald Trump is evil. He must burn.
See with your mind's eye what your eyes cannot see.
'War is in our blood. It's a part of Vetegan history. We cannot escape who we are, so we've learned to embrace it. Now look at us, the Triumvirate is one the most powerful nations on this world. You can't say we didn't achieve anything else of value now.' -Supreme Commander Izon Destraud the Second

Boshuvania
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Boshuvania » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:55 am

Well, perhaps my country would help by gathering all those loyal to your president and make them fight for you? Is that ok?

Muratonia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Muratonia » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:04 am

Vetega wrote:
Muratonia wrote:

I'm thinking that this would happen later on. I've got to actually witness some atrocities( Soldiers see it, it would take time for the rumors to reach higher ears and by that time it will be harder for me to make a decision about what side to take.).
I like it.

I also like it, your defection would be real rallying sign for the HLA and for MDP back home. Thanks for your support.
Your political compass

Muratonia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Muratonia » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:05 am

Boshuvania wrote:Well, perhaps my country would help by gathering all those loyal to your president and make them fight for you? Is that ok?

So you would be based in the cities that support the Kingdom's presence in Herlic and use propaganda and other means to drum up more support for the King?
Your political compass

Boshuvania
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Boshuvania » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:10 am

Absolutely right! Of course, maybe after sometime, you would realize whose creating all the trouble and start hunting them down.

Muratonia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Muratonia » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:18 am

Boshuvania wrote:Absolutely right! Of course, maybe after sometime, you would realize whose creating all the trouble and start hunting them down.

We'll see how it plays out, it would be nice to have a foreign power doing a PR campaign for the Kingdom.
Your political compass

Boshuvania
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Boshuvania » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:29 am

Just wondering, what would be the name of the thread, so that I would know that is the one?

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents