NATION

PASSWORD

What Language Do You Take, Or Know?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which is Your Native Language?

English
77%
Italian
1%
Spanish
5%
Japanese
2%
Chinese
2%
French
3%
German
7%
Middle Eastern Language
1%
Sub-Saharan Language
No votes
Newspeak
3%

Total votes : 109

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Re: What Language Do You Take, Or Know?

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:30 pm

Takaram wrote:Taking Latin

Good for you. Stick with it and you'll find it improves your English vocabulary a lot. And it can come in handy, as it did for Henry Beard (author of "Latin For All Occasions") who noticed that what he was about to order in a restaurant in Rome looked suspiciously like the Latin word for "eels."
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Milks Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Milks Empire » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:30 pm

Allbeama wrote:
Tsa-la-gi Nation wrote:Do you know what is the most spoken foreign language in north america? .... English. If you're interested in studying a language & you live in the americas, why not help preserve history & culture & study a native language?

Because to preserve my history I would have to speak Gaelic, German, Dutch, and English. I guess 1 out of 4 ain't bad ;)

To do that, I'd have to learn English, Irish, German, Canadian French, Scots-Irish, Kanien'kéha, Italian, Welsh, Cornish, Middle French, Castillian, Aragonese, Portuguese, Basque, Dutch, Walloon, Hungarian, Polish, medieval Greek, Breton, Russian, Ukrainian, Old Norse, Arabic, Armenian, Old Low Franconian, Old Chinese, Old Korean, Latin, Gothic, Demotic Egyptian, Nabataean, Aramaic, Georgian, Bactrian, Old Persian, Late Egyptian... and those are just the ones I know about.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:33 pm

Milks Empire wrote:
Allbeama wrote:
Tsa-la-gi Nation wrote:Do you know what is the most spoken foreign language in north america? .... English. If you're interested in studying a language & you live in the americas, why not help preserve history & culture & study a native language?

Because to preserve my history I would have to speak Gaelic, German, Dutch, and English. I guess 1 out of 4 ain't bad ;)

To do that, I'd have to learn English, Irish, German, Canadian French, Scots-Irish, Kanien'kéha, Italian, Welsh, Cornish, Middle French, Castillian, Aragonese, Portuguese, Basque, Dutch, Walloon, Hungarian, Polish, medieval Greek, Breton, Russian, Ukrainian, Old Norse, Arabic, Armenian, Old Low Franconian, Old Chinese, Old Korean, Latin, Gothic, Demotic Egyptian, Nabataean, Aramaic, Georgian, Bactrian, Old Persian, Late Egyptian... and those are just the ones I know about.

I'm sure there's a joke here about your ancestors' getting around a lot, Milks, but ... how come?
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Apanii
Attaché

Founded: Jul 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Apanii » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:38 pm

My native language is Piegan dialect Blackfoot (seriously). I didn't start learning English until I started going to school and that was AWKWARD. I'm glad I know my ancestor's language though.

I took a total of six years of Latin throughout middle and high school which I can read pretty well...but at this point, having been out of school and not having used Latin in ages, it takes me forever to decline/conjugate anything.

I'm not fluent in French, but I can speak French to a French person without them asking me to switch to English and I got by all right when I was in France.

I can also cuss out your mom in Spanish, Arabic and Japanese.

Milks Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Milks Empire » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:41 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Milks Empire wrote:
Allbeama wrote:Because to preserve my history I would have to speak Gaelic, German, Dutch, and English. I guess 1 out of 4 ain't bad ;)

I'm sure there's a joke here about your ancestors' getting around a lot, Milks, but ... how come?

Partly because royalty tend to like to marry other blue-bloods. Once you're related to all the blue-bloods in one part of the country, you look at your neighbors and marry their blue-bloods. Soon you're related to all of them, so you look to their neighbors... and so on until you have to marry a cousin; partly because there was a lot of migration - my Chinese and Korean ancestors moved west, not east, and blended in along the way; and partly because, when they got to America, they didn't particularly care with whom it was they played Sink the Sub.

Nurmiland
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 15, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Nurmiland » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:12 pm

Mad hatters in jeans wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:Other than American English, I am quite fluent in Gibberish.

my gibberish skills are legendary...i challenge you to a duel...do you accept?

I'll take on your gibberish!
Last edited by Nurmiland on Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm Christian, I like Peace. What?
Mottos:
I am who I am, your approval is not needed
Believe in the power of your dreams.
The difference between a winner & a loser: Losers fall & stay down, winners will get back up the 8th time after they've fell 7 times.

Previous

Return to General