NATION

PASSWORD

PASSED: Liberate Feudal Japan

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Kleinekatzen
Secretary

Founded: Nov 28, 2004
Ex-Nation

Re: [AT VOTE] Liberate Feudal Japan

Postby Kleinekatzen » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:44 pm

Inflatable Gandalfs wrote:I don't care if this was endorsed by Jesus, Buddha and the Space Pope; something does not become worthwhile just because a lot of people agree with you.

If you consider this to be true then why are you in the WA? As all the proposals that come before us to be voted upon have been there because "a lot of people agree with" with the proposal. It is why the WA is consided a democratic istitution and not a dictatorship.

And for the record, there is a difference between "a waste of time" and "a waste of the WA's time." Preventing region-griefing certainly is not a waste of players' and moderators' time; using the WA as a griefing arbitration panel undoubtedly is.

But it IS the WA Security Council duty to be "a griefing arbitration panel". A member of the WA with enough endorsement put it there before us. It was there we judge if it was worthy of our time. It is now up to the WA body to decide if it passes or not, and at the moment it looks like it will.

To be honest my esteemed fellow member of the WA, it sound as you seem to be troubled by the fact that having things decided by a majority upsets you. I therefore suggest that you take the time to decide if you should be in the WA, or if you should withdraw from the WA and progress unhindered by the will of other nations.
Last edited by Kleinekatzen on Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Inflatable Gandalfs
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Inflatable Gandalfs » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:34 pm

Oh, I do believe in majority rule, but that doesn't mean that the majority ought to be impaneled to discuss every little thing. Griefing is a matter for Moderation; popular will has nothing whatsoever to do with it. Leave us in the WA to our work dealing with global hunger, disease, terrorism and weapons of mass destruction, and let the Mods handle gameplay abuses. It's what we "pay" them for.
Last edited by Inflatable Gandalfs on Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I rest my case. Nurse! My medication!

Kleinekatzen
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Kleinekatzen » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:17 am

I think you have missed the point of 'liberation' proposals. Consider them if you will as something akin to America(RL) asking for assistance from the UN(RL) to remove Iraq(RL) form Kuwait(RL) after it had been invaded.

For that is what is happening here, a nation is requesting assistance from the WA to help remove an invader(s) from a region and returning it back to its orginal occupants. It is now a way for us to 'simulate' what happens in the real world.

Martyrdoom
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Martyrdoom » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:39 am

Kleinekatzen wrote:I think you have missed the point of 'liberation' proposals. Consider them if you will as something akin to America(RL) asking for assistance from the UN(RL) to remove Iraq(RL) form Kuwait(RL) after it had been invaded.

For that is what is happening here, a nation is requesting assistance from the WA to help remove an invader(s) from a region and returning it back to its orginal occupants. It is now a way for us to 'simulate' what happens in the real world.

The WA won't be removing invaders from the region nor will it (nominally) be bringing back its original occupants. It just removes the password preventing free-entry whether that subsequently entails the return of previous residents or any other nation which might want to take advantage of the liberation and see the lovely sights Feudal Japan has to offer.

I mean I know this is a 'defender' tool but let's at least keep up a pretense of impartiality in the WA.
Smelled a Spring on the Salford wind

Kleinekatzen
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Kleinekatzen » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:31 am

Removing the password is all that the WA needs to do, it is then up to the natives and allies to remove the invaders. All the WA is doing is giving them a chance to do so; personally I detest bad sports and bullies who get enjoyment at the destruction of a region.

Edit:- I find it amusing that they are trying to make it look like they are not destroying the region, they also seem to have brought in nations to make it appear alive. Strange that this all happen after the liberation propsal came before the WA.

Hello to all the Invaders out there, those I know and those that I haven't had the pleasure to meet yet. I come to you know as a fellow Invader to respectfully ask for your support in Feudal Japan. I am aware you have noticed this cowardly turn of events that I could not have dreamed possible in all my time on Nation States.

So my comrade raiders, please, lend me your support, lend me your swords in a battle against our mortal enemy.

Found posted in an invaders forum. :palm:
Last edited by Kleinekatzen on Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

Martyrdoom
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Martyrdoom » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:14 am

That's an earth-shattering disclosure.

Don't forget 'invasion-griefing' does not necessarily mean 'region-destruction'; granted, for some organisations that is the (quite legitimate) aim but others want to subsume a conquered and active region within their 'empire'. It's not really a case of 'bad sports' or being 'bullies'. Everyone is (or was) on a equal playing field.
Smelled a Spring on the Salford wind

Hamagatama Zenshi
Political Columnist

Founded: Sep 22, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Hamagatama Zenshi » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:03 pm

Kleinekatzen wrote:Removing the password is all that the WA needs to do, it is then up to the natives and allies to remove the invaders. All the WA is doing is giving them a chance to do so; personally I detest bad sports and bullies who get enjoyment at the destruction of a region.

Edit:- I find it amusing that they are trying to make it look like they are not destroying the region, they also seem to have brought in nations to make it appear alive. Strange that this all happen after the liberation propsal came before the WA.

Hello to all the Invaders out there, those I know and those that I haven't had the pleasure to meet yet. I come to you know as a fellow Invader to respectfully ask for your support in Feudal Japan. I am aware you have noticed this cowardly turn of events that I could not have dreamed possible in all my time on Nation States.

So my comrade raiders, please, lend me your support, lend me your swords in a battle against our mortal enemy.

Found posted in an invaders forum. :palm:

:eek: you don't say?

Andrewboy
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Andrewboy » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:25 pm

i think the WA has better things to do than liberate 1 of the hundreds reigons that have been invaded.
World Cup 51 Qualifying
world cup of hockey 10:group stage
Coh 42 Quarter Finals
World Cup 50 qualyifying
Fustal world cup II:group stage
Pool world cup 1:Broomstone:2end place, Willkins: 2end round, Harvord: 2end round
Baptism of fire 36: round of 16
World cup 49: Qualifing
Burchandiger invitational cup 1: round of 16
Fustal world cup 3: Group Stage
Ebyria Regional Cup: 1st
Di Barandi cup 13: group stage
Womens World Cup 12: group stage

all hail ceiling cat
the last enemy that shall be defeated is death
98% of all internet users would cry if facebook would break down, if you are part of that 2% who simply would sit back and laugh then copy and paste this into your sig
Ultimate Man united fan.
F7 minister of elimination games

Mikoyan-Guryevich
Minister

Founded: Jun 26, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Mikoyan-Guryevich » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:22 pm

MiG fails to see why nations get a kick out of holding a down and out region. Is there oil in Feudal Japan or is this just an up-yours message to the game?

But yes, liberations/commendations/condemnations are a waste of a vote, the end result is seemingly always 'for'
[strike]I'm a former NS Mentor! If you have any roleplaying related questions, feel free to ask me over telegram!

If I ever appear to be inactive, it's because I am.

Wencee
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Wencee » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:58 am

We have ended in deadlock - and must abstain for voting either way in this case-
Myers-Briggs Type: INFJ
libertà e onore fino alla morte

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:19 am

Mikoyan-Guryevich wrote:
But yes, liberations/commendations/condemnations are a waste of a vote, the end result is seemingly always 'for'

Not all commendations and condemnations gets passed, but i do agree its a waste of time. Especially when most of the nations don't even know those who are getting commended/condemned.

However, i wouldn't say liberations is a waste of time. I just think its unfair for the original region residence to not be able to at least fight back against their invader. Imagine if its YOUR region that gets locked up and its YOU who are outnumbered. Of course, if they get locked up again, then it becomes a waste of time.
Last edited by Norstal on Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Inflatable Gandalfs
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Inflatable Gandalfs » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:28 am

Kleinekatzen wrote:I think you have missed the point of 'liberation' proposals. Consider them if you will as something akin to America(RL) asking for assistance from the UN(RL) to remove Iraq(RL) form Kuwait(RL) after it had been invaded.

How is this relevant to anything? My point was that abuses committed in-game like griefing should be handled by moderators, not unaccountable players. I couldn't care less how much you think this resembles a real-world scenario (mostly because it doesn't); region-griefing is a serious issue, and it should be addressed in a serious manner, by responsible game officials not bound to popular opinion. Putting the same people who brought us Max Barry Day and Promotion of Solar Panels in charge of moderating gameplay abuses has great potential to make a bad situation even worse.

Oh, and there's the whole issue of this bearing no relevance whatsoever to what WA resolutions were originally designed for (i.e., passing laws that apply to all members), but who gives a flip about that when superficial players are clamoring for more buttons to push? :roll:
I rest my case. Nurse! My medication!

The Sedge
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 25, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sedge » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:01 am

Liberate Feudal Japan was passed 4,575 votes to 894. My thanks to all those who voted in favour.

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:08 am

The Sedge wrote:Liberate Feudal Japan was passed 4,575 votes to 894. My thanks to all those who voted in favour.

Well done, honoured ambassador to The Sedge. It's game on again for Feudal Japan!

Jey
Attaché

Founded: Jul 01, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Jey » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:43 pm

Inflatable Gandalfs wrote:Oh, and there's the whole issue of this bearing no relevance whatsoever to what WA resolutions were originally designed for (i.e., passing laws that apply to all members), but who gives a flip about that when superficial players are clamoring for more buttons to push? :roll:

:clap:

On to the next debate...
The Allied Empire of Jey (Jey Wiki - Featured Article) See also: Jevian, Universitus University - FAs
NSwiki Bureaucrat
Delegate: United Nations
Member: UN Old Guard
UN Resolutions: 125, 138, 139(C), 153, 157(C), 161(C), 166(S), 176, 191, 199, 213, 240, 244
WA Resolutions: 77(GA)

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives