NATION

PASSWORD

Should there be a minimum drinking age?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should there be a minimum drinking age?

Poll ended at Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:35 pm

Yes, we need to ban sales to underage persons.
52%
No, it's not for the government to tell people at what age they can buy alcohol.
48%

Total votes : 81

Wiztopia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Wiztopia » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:32 am

Barrasso wrote:im 13 im not going to clarify weather i drink or not but when i lived in Italy i did theirs no Drinking age their i belive it should be Reduced its not like its smokeing or Heroin it dosent mess you up to bad unless you drink to much maybe for people under 18 they should only be able to drink maybe a glass of wine a day or Equvilent in any other liqour accept hard liqour (Whiskey Vodka Taquila ect)

Judging by your grammar and spelling, you have been drinking far more than you should have been.

Ifreann wrote:
Knowlandia wrote:That is certainly up for debate.

But I think the drinking age should at the very least be lowered, and possibly removed. Demystifying alcohol will prevent kids from drinking to excess.

I doubt it.

Why?
Last edited by Wiztopia on Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Coccygia
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Coccygia » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:57 am

Knowlandia wrote:
Roedean wrote:
Because a person's education is the most important thing in their lives.
That is certainly up for debate.

But I think the drinking age should at the very least be lowered, and possibly removed. Demystifying alcohol will prevent kids from drinking to excess.

No, it won't, because "mystified" or not, it still gets you drunk. What on Earth makes you have such a nonsensical idea?
"Nobody deserves anything. You get what you get." - House
"Hope is for sissies." - House
“Qokedy qokedy dal qokedy qokedy." - The Voynich Manuscript
"We're not ordinary people - we're morons!" - Jerome Horwitz
"A book, any book, is a sacred object." - Jorge Luis Borges
"I am a survivor. I am like a cockroach, you just can't get rid of me." - Madonna

Augarundus
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Augarundus » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:58 am

I'm an anarchist, so...
Libertarian Purity Test Score: 160
Capitalism is always the answer. Whenever there's a problem in capitalism, you just need some more capitalism. If the solution isn't capitalism, then it's not really a problem. If your capitalism gets damaged, you just need to throw some capitalism on it and get on with your life.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:59 am

Coccygia wrote:

No, it won't, because "mystified" or not, it still gets you drunk. What on Earth makes you have such a nonsensical idea?

That's true.

And alcohol doesn't solve anything.
That being said, neither does Cola.

Gernonai
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Gernonai » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:01 pm

There should be laws against selling alcohol to minors, but drinking it underage should not be prohibited
A New Ideology!
Factbook
Current Commander-In-Chief: General Hans Albeer
Total Military Strength- 65,000,000 (10,000,000 Active, 55,000,000 Reserve)

Personnel Distribution:
National Guard: 1,500,000
Army: 18,000,000
Air Force: 16,500,000
Air Defense Network: 5,000,000
Navy: 15,000,000
Coast Guard: 6,000,000
Special Forces: 3,000,000

Military Alert Level- {5}4321

Current Fuhrer: Ernst Ueden
Current Senate Majority Ideology: National Conservative Party
Current Minister of Defense: General Marc Antoin
Current Minister of the Navy: Albert Tytia
Current Minister of Aerial Defense: Hanf von Skovi
Current Minister of Economics: Rubert Eichfon
Current Supreme Judge: Karl Luntung
Current Minister of Foreign Affairs: Skott Nister

New Embossia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby New Embossia » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:01 pm

No! That'd mean more money for the Feds!
Map of the United Republic

DEFCON: 5

Please refer to as The United Republic or New Embossia or the Kingdom of Yagrun.

**New Embossia**

I RP as The United Republic of New Embossia and the Kingdom of Yagrun

I'm a devout Catholic and I support LGBT rights
Hornesia wrote:Homosexuality may be a sin, but Jesus died for your sins. Therefore, feel free to gay it up.

Ageleia
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ageleia » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:02 pm

yes.
though it might not be very practical.
i mean, the minimum age we have here is 18 and yet i know quite a few people under 18 who drink.

Coccygia
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Coccygia » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:04 pm

Gernonai wrote:There should be laws against selling alcohol to minors, but drinking it underage should not be prohibited

Yah, that approach (selling illegal, use legal) worked so nicely during Prohibition dinnit?
"Nobody deserves anything. You get what you get." - House
"Hope is for sissies." - House
“Qokedy qokedy dal qokedy qokedy." - The Voynich Manuscript
"We're not ordinary people - we're morons!" - Jerome Horwitz
"A book, any book, is a sacred object." - Jorge Luis Borges
"I am a survivor. I am like a cockroach, you just can't get rid of me." - Madonna

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:08 pm

Coccygia wrote:
Gernonai wrote:There should be laws against selling alcohol to minors, but drinking it underage should not be prohibited

Yah, that approach (selling illegal, use legal) worked so nicely during Prohibition dinnit?

Sure, then all the kids could dress up like ... like this.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Wiztopia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Wiztopia » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:15 pm

Coccygia wrote:

There would be less drunk driving accidents.

Quelesh
Minister

Founded: Jun 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Quelesh » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:07 am

Bottle wrote:I believe in lowering the legal age of majority to 16, and that would include everything from the right to vote to the right to drink. However, I believe that the military should not be able to recruit anybody other than members of Congress, until such time as the fuckers stop sending us into such stupid wars, so military enlistment age would probably have to be higher than 16.

You have to be 25 to be in Congress. The Constitution actually mandates that one. I agree though: let members of Congress serve a tour in Afghanistan and then let's see what they say about the war(s).

I also agree with lowering the age of majority to 16, but in my view that would only be a stepping stone to lower ages.
"I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am." - Samuel Johnson

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
Political Compass | Economic Left/Right: -7.75 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -10.00

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:26 am

Libertarian Mesa wrote:I believe it should be 21 years. Someone younger, who are unable to understand the dangers of alcohol, could easily consume far and become an alcoholic, the tragedy.

And you call yourself a libertarian? That is blatant hypocrisy.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Voerdeland
Senator

Founded: Sep 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Voerdeland » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:42 am

Roedean wrote:Does drinking at 16 affect their educational attainment?

No. I drink alcohol and still have very good notes. Also, while I respect your opinion, I don't understand that you're surprised. Where do you live? Haven't you ever seen drinking teenagers?
Last edited by Voerdeland on Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Simon Cowell of the RR
Minister

Founded: May 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Simon Cowell of the RR » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:48 am

Voerdeland wrote:
Roedean wrote:Does drinking at 16 affect their educational attainment?

No. I drink alcohol and still have very good notes. Also, while I respect your opinion, I don't understand that you're surprised. Where do you live? Haven't you ever seen drinking teenagers?

And there we go, ladies and gentlemen, one person out of c. 7 billion says that alcohol does not affect him. That means, because of this amazing scientific evidence, that it should be given to minors.
Yes, I might be trolling. No, not like the guy who created the thread about towel heads.
I troll by making even the most outlandish opinions sound reasonable. The question is, am I doing that here?

Voerdeland
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Voerdeland » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:59 am

Minimum drinking age be lowered to 15 or 16 for beer, wine etc., but should stay at 18 (or be lowered to 18 in some countries) for "strong" alcoholic beverages like vodka.

Voerdeland
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Voerdeland » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:01 am

Simon Cowell of the RR wrote:
Voerdeland wrote:No. I drink alcohol and still have very good notes. Also, while I respect your opinion, I don't understand that you're surprised. Where do you live? Haven't you ever seen drinking teenagers?

And there we go, ladies and gentlemen, one person out of c. 7 billion says that alcohol does not affect him. That means, because of this amazing scientific evidence, that it should be given to minors.

Where did I say that? I said that not all alcohol-drinking teenagers are addicts with no chances for a decent future.
Last edited by Voerdeland on Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wiztopia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Wiztopia » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:33 am

Voerdeland wrote:No. I drink alcohol and still have very good notes. Also, while I respect your opinion, I don't understand that you're surprised. Where do you live? Haven't you ever seen drinking teenagers?

Yet you're one ignorant person out of the thousands on NSG.

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:38 am

Really? Where did he say "alcohol does not affect him"? I don't see that. Perhaps I haven't had enough to drink yet today...
"Until evolution happens like in pokemon I'll never accept your 'evidence'!" -Ifreann
"Well, excuuuuuuse me, feminist." -Ende

Angleter
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Angleter » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:42 am

I think that, as in France et al, alcohol should- in small and diluted amounts, getting stronger as the child gets older- be given to children (over the age of about 7 or 8), always as part of a meal, to 'normalise' it and make it seem like any other drink, and not as something that one's told to absolutely NOT TOUCH until one's 16/18/21, and thus something one's more likely to go and get pissed on at the first opportunity (and then frequently after that) when one's old enough.
Last edited by Angleter on Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
[align=center]"I gotta tell you, this is just crazy, huh! This is just nuts, OK! Jeezo man."

The IOAS
Attaché

Founded: Jul 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The IOAS » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:44 am

You can get married, kill yourself with cancer sticks, gamble in some states, die in combat for your country, but you can't come home, turn on the Xbox and drink a cold beer. Go figure.
Economic Left/Right: -7.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 1.38
"Explain to future generations that it was good for the economy when they can't farm the land, breathe the air, or drink the water."

Wienholdland
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 09, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Wienholdland » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:45 am

No. Just about everyone is drinking regularly by 16 anyway. The law says 19...

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General