NATION

PASSWORD

Should there be a minimum drinking age?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Poll ended at Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:35 pm

Yes, we need to ban sales to underage persons.
52%
No, it's not for the government to tell people at what age they can buy alcohol.
48%

Total votes : 81

Roedean
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Roedean » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:35 pm

What's your opinion on this issue? I've always been in two minds about this. One part of me thinks that the government should have no role in mandating sale of alcohol and that its wrong to ask people for ID cards. On the other hand I am concerned that educational failure due to alcoholism would increase if there were no restrictions on underage sales.

If there is to be a minimum age for buying alcohol, then I think that you should be able to buy it as soon as you complete your high school education (i.e. at 18) or be at least 20 if you haven't completed your education. I think that people should only have to show an ID card if they look under 20. I also think that the minimum age of 21 in America is unnecessarily high.

Do you think there should be a drinking age? If so, what age should it be set at, and why are you in favour of it? Also, do you think that people should have to have an ID card to prove their age when buying alcohol?

Additional Comments:

I'm not advocating that the government try to regulate actual underage consumption of alcohol. I'm just saying that making it hard for them to get hold of it will mean that they drink less of it.

Also I think that a legal age of 18 is a bad idea because most people turn 18 just a few months before their final exams. They would suddenly start drinking at this age after having bottled up their cravings, which would have a detrimental affect on their studies. If there is to be a drinking age I think it should be 20 because almost all people have finished school at this age.

I have yet seen no evidence that age restricting alcohol improves educational attainment. If someone can point me to some evidence then I will more likely to support the drinking age as being a good idea.

Also, I believe that the argument about brain development is highly exaggerated. There could be some truth to it, but I think that there would only likely be any significant negative effect on their brains if a young person drank alcohol in excess or on a regular basis.

In my opinion there should be no minimum age for buying or drinking alcohol. The main reason for this is that its impractical to enforce. It's also unfair on shopkeepers as well as other customers to require everyone to have an ID card as proof of age.
Last edited by Roedean on Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:50 am, edited 10 times in total.
Disclaimer: The nation of Roedean doesn't represent my actual political views. It's more of a parody.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:37 pm

Yes, 18, if you're old enough to fight for your country you're old enough to drink, if you want to drink after 18, that's your choice, I'm just trying to stop the worst damage to one's mind and body caused by drinking alcohol before one's mind and body are completely developed.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Wienholdland
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 09, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Wienholdland » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:37 pm

No.

Roedean
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Roedean » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:40 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:Yes, 18, if you're old enough to fight for your country you're old enough to drink, if you want to drink after 18, that's your choice, I'm just trying to stop the worst damage to one's mind and body caused by drinking alcohol before one's mind and body are completely developed.

But at 18 people are still at school sitting their final exams. Shouldn't they have to be 18 and have completed school?
Disclaimer: The nation of Roedean doesn't represent my actual political views. It's more of a parody.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:41 pm

Roedean wrote:But at 18 people are still at school sitting their final exams. Shouldn't they have to be 18 and have completed school?

No. I'm not trying to solve their lives for them. Just trying to lessen the amount of harm they do to themselves and society.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.

Terrasricas
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Terrasricas » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:43 pm

Alcohol should be banned outright for all ages.
"Science, like nature, must also be tamed." - Neil Peart
"Art as expression, not as market campaigns." - Neil Peart

NationStates: Don't post your opinions in the forums. The mods will disagree with you, call you a troll, and ban you.

Conserative Morality wrote:The Bible also doesn't say that Jesus and his disciples didn't have an all-male orgy. Therefore, I am forced to assume that they did.

Inchland
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 26, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Inchland » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:43 pm

I think the purchase age should be 16, and the legal drinking age considerably lower, and yes ID cards should be necessary to buy.
CELESTIAL DIVINITIES and NIGHTKILL THE EMPEROR and DENECAEP and KALASION and WWII History Geeks Asked To Be Here, I Said Yes.

Recipient of the Hahklallian Smartness Award, awarded to me by Hahklallah

Nightkill The Emperor again..... Just because
Tsarsgrad was here.

Coccygia
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Coccygia » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:44 pm

To OP: Are you serious? :palm:
Last edited by Coccygia on Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Nobody deserves anything. You get what you get." - House
"Hope is for sissies." - House
“Qokedy qokedy dal qokedy qokedy." - The Voynich Manuscript
"We're not ordinary people - we're morons!" - Jerome Horwitz
"A book, any book, is a sacred object." - Jorge Luis Borges
"I am a survivor. I am like a cockroach, you just can't get rid of me." - Madonna

Bavin
Negotiator

Founded: May 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bavin » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:44 pm

Roedean wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:Yes, 18, if you're old enough to fight for your country you're old enough to drink, if you want to drink after 18, that's your choice, I'm just trying to stop the worst damage to one's mind and body caused by drinking alcohol before one's mind and body are completely developed.

But at 18 people are still at school sitting their final exams. Shouldn't they have to be 18 and have completed school?

The issue isn't schooling. The issue is filling the brain with alcohol while it's still developing, which is probably not good. There's probably a shitload of studies about this but I cba to look them up.
The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds.- Carl Sagan

Roedean
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Roedean » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:45 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
Roedean wrote:But at 18 people are still at school sitting their final exams. Shouldn't they have to be 18 and have completed school?

No. I'm not trying to solve their lives for them. Just trying to lessen the amount of harm they do to themselves and society.

So why 18? Why not 17 or 19? Why do you think 18 is the right age?

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:47 pm

Roedean wrote:So why 18? Why not 17 or 19? Why do you think 18 is the right age?

18 is generally when one's body is mostly developed. 18 is when someone can go and get their limbs blown off for their country, which is a tad more harmful than drinking alcohol.

Roedean
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Roedean » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:47 pm

Inchland wrote:I think the purchase age should be 16, and the legal drinking age considerably lower, and yes ID cards should be necessary to buy.

Why 16? Most kids under 16 don't have the money to buy alcohol anyway so why bother with a law at all in that case?

Roedean
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Roedean » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:52 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
Roedean wrote:So why 18? Why not 17 or 19? Why do you think 18 is the right age?

18 is generally when one's body is mostly developed. 18 is when someone can go and get their limbs blown off for their country, which is a tad more harmful than drinking alcohol.

Okay, ill accept that. I normally think that the body development argument is a bit shaky because different people reach physical maturity at different ages.

Inchland
Ambassador

Postby Inchland » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:53 pm

Roedean wrote:
Inchland wrote:I think the purchase age should be 16, and the legal drinking age considerably lower, and yes ID cards should be necessary to buy.

Why 16? Most kids under 16 don't have the money to buy alcohol anyway so why bother with a law at all in that case?

I think its a good purchase age, better than 18 in my opinion, provided that it's properly controlled by the government, families etc, such as in mainland Europe, where children are often given alcohol at an early age, thus reducing any negative effects it could have when they are teenagers. My friends and I always had plenty of money for drinking when we were 16, and that was only last year....
CELESTIAL DIVINITIES and NIGHTKILL THE EMPEROR and DENECAEP and KALASION and WWII History Geeks Asked To Be Here, I Said Yes.

Tsarsgrad was here.

Terrasricas
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Terrasricas » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:58 pm

Inchland wrote:
Roedean wrote:

I think its a good purchase age, better than 18 in my opinion, provided that it's properly controlled by the government, families etc, such as in mainland Europe, where children are often given alcohol at an early age, thus reducing any negative effects it could have when they are teenagers. My friends and I always had plenty of money for drinking when we were 16, and that was only last year....

:palm:

NationStates: Don't post your opinions in the forums. The mods will disagree with you, call you a troll, and ban you.

Conserative Morality wrote:The Bible also doesn't say that Jesus and his disciples didn't have an all-male orgy. Therefore, I am forced to assume that they did.

Inchland
Ambassador

Postby Inchland » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:01 pm

Terrasricas wrote:
Inchland wrote:

:palm:

Why the facepalm, May I ask?

Tsarsgrad was here.

Terrasricas
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Terrasricas » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:03 pm

Inchland wrote:
Terrasricas wrote: :palm:

Why the facepalm, May I ask?

Drinking at 16, don't you thing that's a little early??

Inchland
Ambassador

Postby Inchland » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:04 pm

Terrasricas wrote:
Inchland wrote:Why the facepalm, May I ask?

Drinking at 16, don't you thing that's a little early??

No, not at all, It's very common where I live.

Tsarsgrad was here.

Roedean
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Roedean » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:05 pm

Inchland wrote:
Terrasricas wrote:Drinking at 16, don't you thing that's a little early??

No, not at all, It's very common where I live.

Where do you live may I ask? Does drinking at 16 affect their educational attainment?

Denau
Envoy

Founded: Jun 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Denau » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:06 pm

In practice, a minimum drinking age is a good idea. However, if any of you have teenagers, or were once teenagers (ha ha), you should realize that even if restrictions are put in place...most of the time, most teens won't abide by them. Its partly due to a few things, in my opinion:

1: People are naturally curious; ESPECIALLY young adults and children. Therefore, its common for teens to rebel against restrictions when they don't know "what lies beyond the other side of the wall".

2: Teens aren't usually fond of restrictions. If they feel cornered in by limitations (especially ones they don't fully understand the consequences of), they get frustrated. Think of it this way...if you, as an adult, were told it was mandatory law to throw away all electronic equipment, books, and all other forms of entertainment, and were not permitted to have or use them until you were 30, most of you would find that outrageous, wouldn't you? And what's one of the first things most of you might do? Smuggle portable game devices, cell phones, laptops, books, and more, probably... Hide them from sight, just so you could still use them.

3: Teens are very impressionable. Whether its on television, the internet, or from fellow peers and strangers, if people see something that "looks" or "sounds" fun, chances are they'll go to almost any lengths to try it themselves; referring back to point 1 on my list.

Still...understanding myself what some of the deadlier consequences are, and having mostly waited until 21 to even drink (two sips of sake and wine hardly count for me), I think its a good idea to have an age limit. However, since most people I know tend to drink (often in excess) at the age of 18 (sometimes younger), I think the age limit should be altered a bit to 18 (legal adult age). But instead of relying on "scare tactics" in commercials, actual educational information should be given to teens in school to inform them of the consequences of underage drinking long before the opportunity ever arises. In addition to that, it should be partly the responsibility of parents to educate their teens about alcohol and its effects on the body and (in excess) in life. Finally, I'd prefer if there were reasonably better carding and identification in most states than are already in place, to prevent underage drinking from occuring.

"Everything is based on mind, is led by mind, is fashioned by mind. If you speak and act with a pure mind, happiness will follow you, as a shadow clings to a form." ~Buddha

"In our work and in our living, we must recognize that difference is a reason for celebration and growth, rather than a reason for destruction." ~Audre Lorde
Economic Left/Right = -4.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian = -2.26
Denau's current flag was created by Mount Shavano

Help improve your business efficiency and annual profit by using Denau Computer Corporations products and services today!
Our nation's cars run on Global Green engines!
Denau imports delicious maple products from Vermont Imports!

Aurora-Nova
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Aurora-Nova » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:06 pm

I can't choose either of your options. In response to the actual thread title, I don't think there should be. However, there is a difference between setting a minimum drinking age, as the title says and which I oppose, and setting a minimum purchasing age, which is what the poll says and which I support.
As we speak, the Libyan people are being
massacred by terrorists in arms against the
legitimate government. The elderly, women,
children... everyone in Libya is in danger tonight.
Help raise awareness and support Gaddafi!
“I believe that Palestine is an occupied land
from the Mediterranean Sea to the Jordan River,
and this is the right of the entire
Palestinian people, this land.”

~Sayyid Hassan Nasrallah
Union of Aurora Nova | Union d'Aurore-Neuve
Deus Imperatorque Populusque
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

-------------------------
Anti-Israel · Anti-USA · Pro-Hamas · Pro-Hezbollah · Pro-Gaddafi · Pro-DPRK
-------------------------
My views are often radical, and may offend some people.
Be aware that I will always speak my truly-held beliefs, however offensive or unpopular they may be to others.

Inchland
Ambassador

Postby Inchland » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:08 pm

Roedean wrote:Where do you live may I ask? Does drinking at 16 affect their educational attainment?

Ireland. It's is illegal at 16 yes, but it's not uncommon. I've never seen an incredible difference in grades between those who drink and those who don't...

Tsarsgrad was here.

Risottia
Khan of Spam

Founded: Sep 05, 2006
Democratic Socialists

Postby Risottia » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:08 pm

Roedean wrote:Do you think there should be a drinking age?

Absolutely.
All kids older than 10 should start sipping their wine (if they didn't start earlier), under parental control. Learn to use so you won't abuse.

Roedean
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Roedean » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:09 pm

Denau:

I'm not advocating that the government try to regulate actual underage consumption of alcohol. I'm just saying that making it hard for them to get hold of it will mean that they drink less of it.

Rusikstan
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Rusikstan » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:10 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:Yes, 18, if you're old enough to fight for your country you're old enough to drink.

^ this
Senestrum wrote:Russians took the maximum allowable missile performances from the ABM treaty as design goals.

lolz ensued

Cyrupe wrote:Canadians are not good at electronics, hence why you never see them at the top of ANYTHING in the technology industry. Bowling ball track pads are the perfect example of this.

Wamitoria wrote:
United Dependencies wrote:What is the likelihood of a tactical nuke being used in this situation?

Well, the OP was looking for advice for an IC war in II, so I suppose that they would be used almost immediately.
Demonym: Rusich for singular and plural uses.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General