NATION

PASSWORD

Ask a Catholic Lay Amateur Theologian

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Papal Vatican States
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Ask a Catholic Lay Amateur Theologian

Postby Papal Vatican States » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:52 pm

OK... everyone, now is your chance to get the answers on everything the Catholic Church is and what it believes.

As the title suggests, I am not a priest, nor do I possess any degrees nor have I taken formal classes in Sacred Theology (though I plan to change this is the future).

Yet, theology is one of my passions and I am a proud owner of the Catechism of the Catholic Church, The Code of Canon Law, the Summa Theologica, The Bible, and several other works on Catholic theology. In addition, I have many discussions on the matter with my own priest.

Because of my amateur status, I give full power to anyone who knows the real Catholic answer to a question to call me out on anything I screw up on. But if you do, please provide some source of evidence (I will take having a degree in Sacred Theology or being a priest as a proper source). And if you know an answer, give it. A lot of questions are rolling in and its nice to have a few taken here and there... but be warned, I will be checking what you say...

So, without further ado, ask away!
Last edited by Papal Vatican States on Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
His Holiness Benedictus Pio p.p. I, Supreme Pontiff, Bishop of Roma, Sovereign of the Papal Vatican States, Primate of all Roma, Patriarch of the West, 265th Successor of St. Peter, Vicar of Christ on Earth, Servant of the Servants of God

Factbook --- State Newsfeed --- Embassy
Member of the Ecumenical Union and Synod of Orthodox and Catholic Churches

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:53 pm

This won't end well.

Robert Magoo
Minister

Founded: Apr 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Robert Magoo » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:53 pm

Do you believe that non-Catholic Christians are living in sin?
Economic Left/Right: 3.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.33

Moral Compass- Rationalist (Q1): 8,9.9

Build up your wealth and give it away, but don't let the state take it. Help those in need and love your neighbor as yourself.

Esoterias
Diplomat

Founded: May 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Esoterias » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:55 pm

1. Why is it that Catholics in history have done more harm than good to mankind?
2. What are the major differences between a Catholic and a Baptist?
3. Why do I need to ask a priest to forgive me when Jesus can forgive me?
Member of the Confederation of Nations
National Information NSEconomy Slovitrean Heavy Indistries Political Views
John Lennon wrote:When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Founded: May 08, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:56 pm

What is up with those funny hats? It seems the higher you go up the theologian ladder (corporate ladder, but for Theology), the bigger and more outlandish your hat get.

Papal Vatican States
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Papal Vatican States » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:58 pm

Robert Magoo wrote:Do you believe that non-Catholic Christians are living in sin?

Not necessarily... while we believe the Catholic Church holds the fullness of God's revelation and being Catholic makes it a whole lot easier to get to Heaven. However, a non-Catholic Christian is still considered, by right of their baptism (Catholics consider all Trinitarian Baptisms to be valid), to be brothers in Christ. So, being a non-Catholic alone does not make a person live in sin. However, I believe leaving the Church may... not to sure on that.

Ecumenism is very important to the Church.
His Holiness Benedictus Pio p.p. I, Supreme Pontiff, Bishop of Roma, Sovereign of the Papal Vatican States, Primate of all Roma, Patriarch of the West, 265th Successor of St. Peter, Vicar of Christ on Earth, Servant of the Servants of God

Brandenburg-Altmark
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Brandenburg-Altmark » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:00 pm

What do you plan to do about the jewish media luring priests into molesting little boys?
Economic Left/Right: -7.50 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.21
TOKYONI UNJUSTLY DELETED 19/06/2011 - SAY NO TO MOD IMPERIALISM
Tanker til Norge.
Free isam wrote:
United Dependencies wrote:Where's inda? Or Russa for that matter?

idot inda is asias gron and russa is its hat ok :palm:

Robert Magoo
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Robert Magoo » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:00 pm

Here's another one for you: what do you think of the other Catholic church, the Orthodox church?

Also, if a person is baptized but never makes an actual self-commitment to follow Christ and put their faith in Him, are they still saved from sin?
Last edited by Robert Magoo on Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Build up your wealth and give it away, but don't let the state take it. Help those in need and love your neighbor as yourself.

Diseased Imaginings
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Diseased Imaginings » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:02 pm

why does the Catholic Church maintain that all popes are infallible in the face of a long and glorious history of popes committing "sinful" acts?

perfunctory source: http://relijournal.com/christianity/vat ... y-history/
"This topic brings me to that worst outcrop of herd life, the military system, which I abhor... This plague-spot of civilization ought to be abolished with all possible speed. Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism -- how passionately I hate them!" -Albert Einstein

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:05 pm

Vatican II... would you have kept it?
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Robert Magoo
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Robert Magoo » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:10 pm

Papal Vatican States wrote:
Robert Magoo wrote:Ecumenism is very important to the Church.

Also, this is good. I very much believe in this too.

Papal Vatican States
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Papal Vatican States » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:13 pm

Esoterias wrote:1. Why is it that Catholics in history have done more harm than good to mankind?
2. What are the major differences between a Catholic and a Baptist?
3. Why do I need to ask a priest to forgive me when Jesus can forgive me?

1. The Church is deeply sorry for those incidents it had trouble with... (inquisition, crusades) but it should be noted that the Church is not a bad as peoples believe. The Church, contrary to popular belief, is and has long been a massive promoter of the sciences. Many monks and priests studied long and hard at science during the "Dark Ages" you can even thank the Church for our current calendar. Also, the Vatican runs several observatories and accepts evolution as being compatible with Church teaching. The Pope himself is a theistic evolutionist.

2. Well, for one, Baptists reject infant baptisms. Catholics do not. Catholics have the Pope, Baptists do not. Catholics differ from many Protestant denominations on the issues of "sola fide," "sola Dei," and "sola scriptura." Catholics believe one is saved by works and faith, not simply faith while most Protestants, including Baptists, believe that one is saved solely by faith in God. "Sola Dei" refers to the Protestant rejection of the need to pray for the intercession of the Saints. Catholics believe that Saints, those who have gone to Heaven before us, can intercede before God for our needs and desires. Baptists have also longed believed that the Catholic Church is evil, the "Whore of Babylon" though I believe that this is changing or has changed already.

3. In the Catholic Faith, sins are divided into two categories. a) venial sins and b) mortal sins. A venial sin is one of those small sins which we often commit. They turn us from God's grace but do not deprive us of it. Mortal sins are those big things we are to avoid. Things like murder and premarital sex. They turn us completely from God's grace and cut us off from Him

Now, how this fits into confession is that the Church has found Scriptural references to special power given to it to loose and to bind sin to people on Earth that will also be bound in Heaven. In the case of a venial sin, we can still get th forgiving grace of God and thus a Confession is not necessary. With a mortal sin, however, we are cut off from that grace. Thus, we must turn to the Church's power, that of binding and loosing. This power is applied during Confession in what is called the "absolution." Now, it is not really the priest that is forgiving us in this situation. A priest is considered to have received special graces through his ordination that allow him to act "in persona Christi" meaning "in the person of Christ." He acts as Christ and invokes the special powers given to him by Christ to forgive in God's name and through the power of the Church, bring that forgiveness to true being.

While we do not have to confess our venial sins, it is still a good idea because the graces of the Sacrament of Confession are greater than those simply given through personal prayer. Also, the priest will often give tips for avoiding the sin... which help.

Papal Vatican States
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Papal Vatican States » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:16 pm

Wilgrove wrote:What is up with those funny hats? It seems the higher you go up the theologian ladder (corporate ladder, but for Theology), the bigger and more outlandish your hat get.

The "funny hats" are referred to as "mitres" they are part of the bishop's vestments. They symbolize the authority of the bishop. In fact, in the Eastern traditions, the mitre looks like a crown.

Last edited by Papal Vatican States on Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Papal Vatican States
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Papal Vatican States » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:17 pm

Brandenburg-Altmark wrote:What do you plan to do about the jewish media luring priests into molesting little boys?

The Church will get through the crisis... not for me to decide how... For the record, I doubt the Jewish religion had anything to do with it. The Church has fairly good relations aside from a few bumps here and there.

Papal Vatican States
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Papal Vatican States » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:21 pm

Robert Magoo wrote:Here's another one for you: what do you think of the other Catholic church, the Orthodox church?

Also, if a person is baptized but never makes an actual self-commitment to follow Christ and put their faith in Him, are they still saved from sin?

1) The Eastern Orthodox Church is recognized by the Catholic Church as a valid Church possessing what is called "Apostolic Succession" this means their bishops can trace a direct line of ordinations back to the Apostles and thus to Christ. This means their sacraments are valid. However, the Church feels they have some problems with their doctrine. There are actually Churches that do their liturgy the way of the Orthodox Church and still follow the Pope... these are called Eastern Rite Churches and many Orthodox Churches are actually merging with the Catholic Church and becoming these Eastern Rite ones.

The Catholic Church has excellent relations with the Eastern Churches and the two meet often. In fact, it is likely that one day, they will reunite

2) Well, this is an interesting issue. The Church believes there must be a commitment of belief for a baptism to be valid, however this is waived in the case of infants. Parents will often make the commitment for the child and promise to bring the child up in the faith. All valid baptisms save the person from sin.
Last edited by Papal Vatican States on Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:24 pm

Will the Catholic Church be apologizing anytime soon for the destruction of the indigenous religions and it's products (altars, sanctuaries) since Christianity was founded?

Because, while Snorri Sturluson did preserve some of the Norse oral stories (and Christianize it....thanks) many people in several recon, and non-recon polytheistic religion believe that we lost a great deal when Christianity swept over Europe, Africa, Asia and the Americas.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:28 pm

Wilgrove wrote:Will the Catholic Church be apologizing anytime soon for the destruction of the indigenous religions and it's products (altars, sanctuaries) since Christianity was founded?

Because, while Snorri Sturluson did preserve some of the Norse oral stories (and Christianize it....thanks) many people in several recon, and non-recon polytheistic religion believe that we lost a great deal when Christianity swept over Europe, Africa, Asia and the Americas.

Such as the Library of Alexandria. For starters.

Papal Vatican States
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Papal Vatican States » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:28 pm

Diseased Imaginings wrote:why does the Catholic Church maintain that all popes are infallible in the face of a long and glorious history of popes committing "sinful" acts?

perfunctory source: http://relijournal.com/christianity/vat ... y-history/

The concept of "Papal Infallibility" was introduced in 1868 during the First Vatican Council. It does not refer to the inability for the Pope to sin, but instead refers to the fact that he is considered to be infallible when he declares dogma while speaking ex cathedra.

The Pope speaks ex cathedra when he makes the statement in a special formula. This is fulfilled when he mentions his Apostolic Power and defines himself as the "Roman Pontiff," states he is defining a teaching, and makes mention of certain things. Such things can be a mention of ex cathedra itself, defining it must be held by the whole Church, or accompanying the statement with the threat of anathema.

Papal Vatican States
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Papal Vatican States » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:30 pm

Gauthier wrote:Vatican II... would you have kept it?

Umm... I am unsure what you are asking here.

The Second Vatican Council (called Vatican II) is an ecumenical council and is binding on the entire Church. Some schismatic groups assert that it is flawed, but by definition, an ecumenical council, which is a gathering of every bishop in the world in order to create new dogma, cannot be flawed.

Papal Vatican States
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Papal Vatican States » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:33 pm

Wilgrove wrote:Will the Catholic Church be apologizing anytime soon for the destruction of the indigenous religions and it's products (altars, sanctuaries) since Christianity was founded?

Genivaria wrote:Such as the Library of Alexandria. For starters.

I am unsure of the plans of the Pope in regards to such things at this time. I have not heard any mention of it on my means of connection to the vibes in the Vatican.
Last edited by Papal Vatican States on Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:39 pm

Why doesn't the Catholic Church just let the priest marry and have children? Hel, allow women to become priest. Last time I've checked, there was a shortage when it comes to available Catholic priests.

Papal Vatican States
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Papal Vatican States » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:47 pm

Wilgrove wrote:Why doesn't the Catholic Church just let the priest marry and have children? Hel, allow women to become priest. Last time I've checked, there was a shortage when it comes to available Catholic priests.

1)The doctrine of priestly celibacy has not always existed and, in truth, is not a requirement for priesthood. It is simply a discipline the Church has placed on priests and bishops. The Pope may remove it whenever he sees fit. This doctrine was put in place to ensure that priests gave themselves over totally to Christ in their ministry. With a wife and children, the priest would have a moral responsibility to watch over those children and attend to his wife, thus detracting from his ability to focus on God and his congregation. Most priests I have spoken to say that if the Vatican told them they could get married, they would not because they feel much more dedicated in the celibate position.

2) The dogma of no women's ordinations is one that has always existed in the Church. This is asserted because Christ himself established the priesthood in choosing the Apostles and none of the Apostles were female. Also, the fact that a priest acts "in persona Christi" ("in the person of Christ") with Christ be male brings up a reason. The Blessed Pope John Paul II stated in one of his letters that the Church possessed no authority to admit women to ordination. Its something special to men, like the ability to give birth is special to women. In addition, an argument against women's ordination I have heard (from a girl too... so its not all men that support this) is that if Mary, who in Catholic teaching is the greatest woman and probably the greatest person outside of Christ that ever lived, was not called to the priestly vocation, then it is extremely prideful for a woman, or anyone for that matter, to assert that they have a right to become a priest.

Also, for the record, current studies show the number of priests worldwide is growing.
http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/number-of-priests-growing-worldwide-vatican-reports/
Last edited by Papal Vatican States on Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Franco-Philia
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 11, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Franco-Philia » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:52 pm

I know there are a thousand answers and everyone differs and the RCC doesn't have an official response, but as a Catholic believer, what is your response to the classic problem of evil? Any particular theodicy you favor?
"What is beautiful is moral; that is all there is to it." -Gustave Flaubert

Factbook
Embassy Program
Modern tech, real-world scenarios, homo sapiens only
Humanist, Social Democracy, Internationalism, Pro-Choice, LGBT Advocate, Secularist, Democrat

Bluth Corporation
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 15, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bluth Corporation » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:52 pm

Are you aware that, since the Roman Catholic Church professes belief in a deity, it is therefore not a Christian organization but rather an institution of the Cult of Jesus and Jehovah?
The Huge Mistake of Bluth Corporation
Capital: Newport Beach, Shostakovich | Starting Quarterback: Peyton Manning #18 | Company President: Michael Bluth

Champions of: World Bowl X

You should really be using Slackware

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:57 pm

Bluth Corporation wrote:Are you aware that, since the Roman Catholic Church professes belief in a deity, it is therefore not a Christian organization but rather an institution of the Cult of Jesus and Jehovah?

Oh my god, Get out.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General