NATION

PASSWORD

Was Anthony Weiner betrayed by the Dems, but not Clinton?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Was Anthony Weiner backstabbed by the Dems, but not Clinton?

Yes
53%
No
47%

Total votes : 38

Sorvasia
Envoy

Founded: Feb 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Was Anthony Weiner betrayed by the Dems, but not Clinton?

Postby Sorvasia » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:34 pm

Was Anthony Weiner backstabbed by the Dems, but not Clinton?

A big question, and I'd like all of your inputs on this. Did you think that Anthony Weiner was treated unfairly and was ultimately betrayed by the party he had spent all of his political career aligning himself with? Did the Dems have enough of Weiner's reign in the House?

On a more essential note, it should be considered that former Democratic president Bill Clinton was also involve in a sex scandal that ultimately led to his resignation as well, although he received mostly positive support from his party while he strove to defend his claim that he did not engage in sexual interactions with Lewinsky. He was later found of lying, but still got support from the left? That doesn't make sense when they did the exact same opposite to Weiner, who too was caught lying after confessing to the legitimacy of the claims that he was in the act of sending perverse messages to the American public. Weiner was attacked and backlashed by almost all of his party colleagues, and ultimately felt so unsatisfied with the pressure gave in and announced his resignation a few days ago.

In a more summarily sense, NSG, do you think Weiner was backstabbed by his own party when Clinton was not, although they too were involved in sex-related political scandals.
Last edited by Sorvasia on Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:35 am, edited 4 times in total.

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:27 pm

Clinton resigned? What alternate past was this?
Proud Scalawag and Statist!

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Halt!
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Nulono wrote:Snip
I'm a pro-lifer who runs a nation of dragon-men...
And even I think that's stupid.
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:30 pm

Wikkiwallana wrote:Clinton resigned? What alternate past was this?

That's one of Ken Starr's wet dreams, isn't it?

"Mr. Starr, I confess, and now, I must address the nation and resign. Oh, woe is me!"
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:30 pm

Shit. Another bleeder from another universe.

Men, send him back to the universe he came from!

<bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzap>

That's been happening more and more lately.........
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:32 pm

Galloism wrote:

Shit. Another bleeder from another universe.

<bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzap>

There does seem to be a rift in space-time somewhere, doesn't there? Maybe a tachyon beam or something would help? Oh, wait, it's summer! Never mind.
Last edited by Farnhamia on Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:34 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Galloism wrote:Shit. Another bleeder from another universe.

<bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzap>

There does seem to be a rift in space-time somewhere, doesn't there? Maybe a tachyon beam or something would help? Oh, wait, it's summer! Never mind.

I still say we should drop a nuke on Cardiff.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:35 pm

Gauthier wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:There does seem to be a rift in space-time somewhere, doesn't there? Maybe a tachyon beam or something would help? Oh, wait, it's summer! Never mind.

I still say we should drop a nuke on Cardiff.

Well, yes, and the other places with too many Ys and Ws and not enough vowels. Goes without saying.

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:42 pm

This thread reminded me of the fact that Weiner actually apologized to Clinton over this./

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

Brandenburg-Altmark
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Brandenburg-Altmark » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:45 pm

Wikkiwallana wrote:This thread reminded me of the fact that Weiner actually apologized to Clinton over this./

Jon Stewart found the explanation. He talked about doing a girl from behind while they both watched the Daily Show, and the next guest on was Bill Clinton. It all makes sense.
Economic Left/Right: -7.50 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.21
TOKYONI UNJUSTLY DELETED 19/06/2011 - SAY NO TO MOD IMPERIALISM
Tanker til Norge.
Free isam wrote:
United Dependencies wrote:Where's inda? Or Russa for that matter?

idot inda is asias gron and russa is its hat ok :palm:

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:05 pm

Brandenburg-Altmark wrote:
Wikkiwallana wrote:This thread reminded me of the fact that Weiner actually apologized to Clinton over this./

Jon Stewart found the explanation. He talked about doing a girl from behind while they both watched the Daily Show, and the next guest on was Bill Clinton. It all makes sense.

Thanks for giving away the punchline.

Xenohumanity wrote:

Brandenburg-Altmark
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Brandenburg-Altmark » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:06 pm

Wikkiwallana wrote:
Brandenburg-Altmark wrote:

Thanks for giving away the punchline.

That was a week ago!
Economic Left/Right: -7.50 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.21
TOKYONI UNJUSTLY DELETED 19/06/2011 - SAY NO TO MOD IMPERIALISM
Tanker til Norge.
Free isam wrote:
United Dependencies wrote:Where's inda? Or Russa for that matter?

idot inda is asias gron and russa is its hat ok :palm:

Brauzillia
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Brauzillia » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:09 pm

Weiner showed his hotdog to female hookers from the Filipino Hookers.
But his ding-dong is incredibly bad, but I don't care as much because I don't pay attention to the politics

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:09 pm

Oh yeah, definitely backstabbed. This is one of the reasons I really hate the democratic party with a passion. This would never happen in the GOP, Hire prostitutes? Fine, Solicit gay sex in a bathroom? Fine, "Hike the Appalachian Trail" ? Fine, etc., etc.

Yet, Anthony Weiner sends a few completely consensual photos over twitter that some stupid stalker stumbles upon, and the Democrats scramble to condemn the guy, call for an investigation, and throw him under a bus.

Words cannot describe how disgusted I am by the complete and total cowardice and spinelessness of the Democratic Party, and worse, towards literally the best fucking congressman they had.

it's shit like this that lets the GOP get away with calling them what they do: Because time and time again they do their best to prove the bastards right.

*shakes head*

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:11 pm

Also I don't understand the poll, where's the "Yes, he was backstabbed, and it was hypocritical" ?

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:12 pm

How was he "backstabbed"? He tried to cover everything up, lied about it for a couple weeks, tried to claim he was hacked and the hacker sent the pics, then tried to blame somebody else for hacking and sending the pics and tweets. For me, that is the primary concern, the coverup attempt and the trying to blame political opponents for what he did. Were the democrats supposed to just overlook all that and give him a 'pass'?
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Founded: May 08, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:12 pm

The Dems totally screwed Anthony Weiner, there's no question about that.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:19 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:How was he "backstabbed"? He tried to cover everything up, lied about it for a couple weeks, tried to claim he was hacked and the hacker sent the pics, then tried to blame somebody else for hacking and sending the pics and tweets. For me, that is the primary concern, the coverup attempt and the trying to blame political opponents for what he did. Were the democrats supposed to just overlook all that and give him a 'pass'?

In a word? Yes.

I mean, I can forgive him for that, I'd probably panic if some stalker found my shit too. But that's not the issue, it's that the Republicans have done far worse and more, yet, had their own party circle the wagons to keep them around. The Democrats failed in that endeavour, epically.

I mean you, personally, can dislike him, want him to go, whatever, but as far as whether the party backstabbed him, that's not the issue. The Party failed to stand behind him, the way the Republicans would have. It is the fact that they are too cowardly, too inept, too unorganized, too "dog eat dog", whatever, that allows things like a Tea Party to beat them, that keeps them from sustaining a win the way the Republicans are able to, even in the face of epically bad scandals and failures as they have shown in the past 12 years and more.

Anthony Weiner didn't get what David Vitter got, or Mark Sanford got, and that's the reason he was "backstabbed" by his party.

Saint Ferdinand
Secretary

Founded: May 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Ferdinand » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:24 pm

Democrats should have stood by him, and they didn't. It's a shame, too, because Weiner seemed like one of the few persons left in the Democratic Party with any kind of fighting spirit left in him.

Serrland
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Serrland » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:29 pm

If it was just the one original picture, I'd say he was betrayed. But taking pictures IN THE HOUSE GYM? Yeah, that's harder to defend. He's small fish, anyways. After the first scandal broke, his chance of advancing in the party dried up, but now that the extent of the scandal is known his time is up. Really can't blame the Democrats, especially after the embarrassment they suffered with Charlie Rangel.

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:33 pm

He's a coward. He shouldn't have resigned. All of the best politicians have been womanizing bastards.
Go Vikings.
Sunnyvale, straight the fuck up.

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:38 pm

The Democrats need a breaking point where they all realize with a Samuel L. Jackson voice, "You what? Fuck this."
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:23 pm

Maurepas wrote:Oh yeah, definitely backstabbed. This is one of the reasons I really hate the democratic party with a passion. This would never happen in the GOP, Hire prostitutes? Fine, Solicit gay sex in a bathroom? Fine, "Hike the Appalachian Trail" ? Fine, etc., etc.

Yet, Anthony Weiner sends a few completely consensual photos over twitter that some stupid stalker stumbles upon, and the Democrats scramble to condemn the guy, call for an investigation, and throw him under a bus.

Words cannot describe how disgusted I am by the complete and total cowardice and spinelessness of the Democratic Party, and worse, towards literally the best fucking congressman they had.

it's shit like this that lets the GOP get away with calling them what they do: Because time and time again they do their best to prove the bastards right.

*shakes head*

It's more of a devil's advocate thing then anything else, but isn't that just what holding yourself to a higher standard is all about? Yes, the Republicans circle the wagons and have protected some people who may have gone further, but don't 'we' (not actually a democrat) criticize them for that? Wouldn't it make that criticism a little empty if we didn't apply the same standard when it's 'one of us?' Yes, it's a sexless sex scandal and on balance it seems goofy as hell, like catching your junior high aged kid kissing his girlfriend on the cheek. But if we're supposed to get so self righteous about the sex scandals of others shouldn't we at least hold 'our' own people to the same standard.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:39 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Maurepas wrote:Oh yeah, definitely backstabbed. This is one of the reasons I really hate the democratic party with a passion. This would never happen in the GOP, Hire prostitutes? Fine, Solicit gay sex in a bathroom? Fine, "Hike the Appalachian Trail" ? Fine, etc., etc.

*shakes head*

It's more of a devil's advocate thing then anything else, but isn't that just what holding yourself to a higher standard is all about? Yes, the Republicans circle the wagons and have protected some people who may have gone further, but don't 'we' (not actually a democrat) criticize them for that? Wouldn't it make that criticism a little empty if we didn't apply the same standard when it's 'one of us?' Yes, it's a sexless sex scandal and on balance it seems goofy as hell, like catching your junior high aged kid kissing his girlfriend on the cheek. But if we're supposed to get so self righteous about the sex scandals of others shouldn't we at least hold 'our' own people to the same standard.

Yeah, but I'm not a "we" in that scenario either. I'm on record all over this forum saying I've never given a damn about a politician's sex life, unless it's non-consensual. My father had two affairs, and his work record easily attests to being flawless the entire time. I've really never understood the United States' fascination with going apeshit about sexual "scandals".

The only time a politician's sex life is an issue to me, is when they make it one by being a "Family Values" guy and attacking other people's. Which Anthony Weiner never did.

To me, it just demonstrates what I already didn't like about the Democratic Party, the fact that they cannot find it within themselves to have the balls the GOP does.

Libertarian Mesa
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarian Mesa » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:17 pm

Maurepas wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:It's more of a devil's advocate thing then anything else, but isn't that just what holding yourself to a higher standard is all about? Yes, the Republicans circle the wagons and have protected some people who may have gone further, but don't 'we' (not actually a democrat) criticize them for that? Wouldn't it make that criticism a little empty if we didn't apply the same standard when it's 'one of us?' Yes, it's a sexless sex scandal and on balance it seems goofy as hell, like catching your junior high aged kid kissing his girlfriend on the cheek. But if we're supposed to get so self righteous about the sex scandals of others shouldn't we at least hold 'our' own people to the same standard.

Yeah, but I'm not a "we" in that scenario either. I'm on record all over this forum saying I've never given a damn about a politician's sex life, unless it's non-consensual. My father had two affairs, and his work record easily attests to being flawless the entire time. I've really never understood the United States' fascination with going apeshit about sexual "scandals".

The only time a politician's sex life is an issue to me, is when they make it one by being a "Family Values" guy and attacking other people's. Which Anthony Weiner never did.

To me, it just demonstrates what I already didn't like about the Democratic Party, the fact that they cannot find it within themselves to have the balls the GOP does.

But if a man like Weiner promotes honesty and then is lie it is okay?

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:20 pm

Libertarian Mesa wrote:
Maurepas wrote:Yeah, but I'm not a "we" in that scenario either. I'm on record all over this forum saying I've never given a damn about a politician's sex life, unless it's non-consensual. My father had two affairs, and his work record easily attests to being flawless the entire time. I've really never understood the United States' fascination with going apeshit about sexual "scandals".

But if a man like Weiner promotes honesty and then is lie it is okay?

I can't recall the man attacking liars the way the Family Values racket attacks Gays, Pro-Choice Women, and the like.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General