NATION

PASSWORD

PASSED: Protection of Outer Space Act

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Arkinesia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkinesia » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:10 pm

Unibot wrote:
Arkinesia wrote:
Stash Kroh wrote:
Also, wouldn't it mean precluding the use of manned spacecraft? Hence my "tour guide" remark.

If we're still speaking in hypotheticals here. Might I suggest in these purely hypothetical situations not hiring astronauts that are clinically paranoid, schizophrenic or just plain barking mad if the said disability will hinder their performance on the job (so it doesn't come into violation with the C.O.C.R -- 'cause we don't want to be discriminating against crazies! :D).

Resolution wrote:3) Forbids the intentional atmospheric reentry of any vessel, satellite, or object of non-weaponry purpose, if its reentry presents a substantial and unjustifiable risk to the health of any resident of a nation.

That seems to prohibit manned space craft...perhaps you should, say, alter it in an amendment? Since it doesn't seem like, based on what you're saying, you're trying to ban manned spaceflight.

It would only prohibit the reentry of spacecrafts that pose an unjustifiable, and substantial risk to the health of any citizen.

Astronauts in Stash Kroh have about a four percent chance of dieing in reentry, the elected leader of Stash Kroh was also recently revealed to have about a 25% of dieing.

The reentry of spacecrafts is justifiable to the risk, 18 out of 450 astronauts dieing is less than most risks involving jobs in Stash Kroh.

Try Mining.

Okay.

I have no more to debate on that part of the subject. My only remaining "beef" is that it seems to prohibit colonization, which, sure, great, but rogue nations can colonize all they want, with the net benefit of their economic growth, the other planets still ruined, and WA nations like ourselves are just kinda left behind.

Doesn't really seem useful to me.

If colonization and planetary research and resource harvest are in fact permitted in some degree, I will change my vote on this resolution.
Last edited by Arkinesia on Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bisexual, atheist, Southerner. Not much older but made much wiser.

Disappointment Panda wrote:Don't hope for a life without problems. There's no such thing. Instead, hope for a life full of good problems.

Tiesabre
Ambassador

Founded: May 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tiesabre » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:29 am

Tiesabre feels that this resolution is nothing but a WA attempt to control the space programs of the world and absolutely refuses to support this resolution. We have voted against it, successfully argued for many in our region to vote against it including out delegate.

Should this resolution pass, Tiesabre would not think twice of violating it in fact according the resolution we'd be in immediate violation of it the moment it passed anyway.

Tiesabre has no intentions of obeying this a poorly written and thought out resolution and it is obvious that the vast majority of those whom have voted for this merely read the title and not the body or they would have voted against this as well!
Psycho Baby: I find atheists who disparage others for believing are not any better than theists who try to shove it down others' throats.
Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: -6.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.26
Miss. Vivian Smith, Foreign Affairs-in-Chief and WA Ambassador

Kickin kangaroo
Political Columnist

Founded: Aug 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Kickin kangaroo » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:45 am

Tiesabre wrote:Tiesabre feels that this resolution is nothing but a WA attempt to control the space programs of the world and absolutely refuses to support this resolution. We have voted against it, successfully argued for many in our region to vote against it including out delegate.

Should this resolution pass, Tiesabre would not think twice of violating it in fact according the resolution we'd be in immediate violation of it the moment it passed anyway.

Tiesabre has no intentions of obeying this a poorly written and thought out resolution and it is obvious that the vast majority of those whom have voted for this merely read the title and not the body or they would have voted against this as well!

Aye, He speaks the truth.

Stash Kroh
Envoy

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Stash Kroh » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:53 am

Arkinesia wrote:
Unibot wrote:
Arkinesia wrote:
Stash Kroh wrote:
Also, wouldn't it mean precluding the use of manned spacecraft? Hence my "tour guide" remark.

If we're still speaking in hypotheticals here. Might I suggest in these purely hypothetical situations not hiring astronauts that are clinically paranoid, schizophrenic or just plain barking mad if the said disability will hinder their performance on the job (so it doesn't come into violation with the C.O.C.R -- 'cause we don't want to be discriminating against crazies! :D).

Resolution wrote:3) Forbids the intentional atmospheric reentry of any vessel, satellite, or object of non-weaponry purpose, if its reentry presents a substantial and unjustifiable risk to the health of any resident of a nation.

That seems to prohibit manned space craft...perhaps you should, say, alter it in an amendment? Since it doesn't seem like, based on what you're saying, you're trying to ban manned spaceflight.

It would only prohibit the reentry of spacecrafts that pose an unjustifiable, and substantial risk to the health of any citizen.

Astronauts in Stash Kroh have about a four percent chance of dieing in reentry, the elected leader of Stash Kroh was also recently revealed to have about a 25% of dieing.

The reentry of spacecrafts is justifiable to the risk, 18 out of 450 astronauts dieing is less than most risks involving jobs in Stash Kroh.

Try Mining.

Okay.

I have no more to debate on that part of the subject. My only remaining "beef" is that it seems to prohibit colonization, which, sure, great, but rogue nations can colonize all they want, with the net benefit of their economic growth, the other planets still ruined, and WA nations like ourselves are just kinda left behind.

If colonization and planetary research and resource harvest are in fact permitted in some degree, I will change my vote on this resolution.

I don't see how it bans colonization.

Its does not prohibt the eventual harm coming from a landed vessel and its crew, it prevents any harm from the atmospheric reentry of a vessel.
Ambassador Adelinda Gliemann
The Clockwork Forge of Stash Kroh
WA Security Council Liaison

Gobbannium
Envoy

Founded: Jan 10, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Gobbannium » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:25 am

Unibot wrote:[snip] the elected leader of Stash Kroh was also recently revealed to have about a 25% of dieing.

The elected leader of Stash Kroh is clearly a truly extraordinary individual. Most people have a 100% chance of dieing.
Prince Rhodri of Segontium, Master of the Red Hounds, etc, etc.
Ambassador to the World Assembly of the Principalities of Gobbannium

Qumkent
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Qumkent » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:31 am

Gobbannium wrote:
Unibot wrote:[snip] the elected leader of Stash Kroh was also recently revealed to have about a 25% of dieing.

The elected leader of Stash Kroh is clearly a truly extraordinary individual. Most people have a 100% chance of dieing.

Indeed death is an absolute for mortals.

Yours,
Mongkha, Khan of Kashgar, Ambassador to the World Assembly for the Autonomous Principality of Qumkent, a constituent state of the Confederated Sublime Khanate of Urgench

Learn more about the CSKU here - http://www.nswiki.net/index.php?title=Urgench

Arkinesia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkinesia » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:45 am

Stash Kroh wrote:
Arkinesia wrote:
Unibot wrote:
Arkinesia wrote:
Stash Kroh wrote:

Try Mining.

Okay.

I don't see how it bans colonization.

Its does not prohibt the eventual harm coming from a landed vessel and its crew, it prevents any harm from the atmospheric reentry of a vessel.

In that case, in spite of this proposal's poor wording, Arkinesia is announcing its change of vote on this proposal.
Bisexual, atheist, Southerner. Not much older but made much wiser.

Disappointment Panda wrote:Don't hope for a life without problems. There's no such thing. Instead, hope for a life full of good problems.

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:37 am

I am fairly content with this resolution passing, not badly written at all but a reform may be needed later if fellow honoured ambassadors feel the need to and the honoured ambassador to Charlotte Ryberg would accept that if that is the case.

Now, back to my space mission: for more moon cheese, that is, and a bit of Button Moon exploring.
Last edited by Charlotte Ryberg on Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kanye Omari West
Political Columnist

Founded: Sep 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Kanye Omari West » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:26 am

Yo Stash Kroh, I'm real happy for you, I'mma let you finish but Witchcliff had the best Orbital Space Safety Act of ALL TIME!

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives