NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft Updated] Repeal GA Res. # 15 Freedom of Marriage Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Rokon
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
Ex-Nation

[Draft Updated] Repeal GA Res. # 15 Freedom of Marriage Act

Postby Rokon » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:40 pm

Proposed by: Rokon

Description: GENERAL ASSEMBLY RESOLUTION # 15 Freedom of Marriage Act shall be repealed and rendered null and void.
Argument:

ACKNOWLEDGING That there are many peoples of the same sex orientation who are entitled to their rights.We also ACKNOWLEDGE that gay marrige may be in violation of the founding principles and religions of nations. The original proposal even says "RECOGNIZING that religious communities have different views and are free to recognize or not such unions, " and yet forgets that in a theocracy the entire nation (including the government) is a religious community and therefore according to this should be able to decide whether or not to allow gay marrige.

APPRECIATNG that this resolution was passed with good intentions, by nations with a genuine and heartfelt belief in equal opportunities for non heterosexuals.

This is followed later by "(a) No State shall restrict the right to enter into such unions to persons of a certain sex or sexual orientation, nor shall they require that they be of the same or different sex. ". In a theocracy such as New Xania these two contradict each other rendering the whole thing to be null and void. Therefore I propose that we instead allow nations to decide whether or not to allow gay marriage. Which they will be able to do once this is repealed it will give the choice.

BELIEVING That theological nations with religions that are opposed to this should not have to be forced to comply with this

RECOGNIZING that this infringes on the rights of theocracies to follow their state religion when said religion prohibits gay marrige.

NOTING That secular nations should still have to be held under this but as this is a repeal we can not add amendments to this, but after this is repealed a new resolution can be submitted stating something along these lines "All secular nations will marry both Homosexual couples and Heterosexual couples, but theological nations will have the choice" if something like this was submitted after the repeal it would help tremendously!

Declaring This repeal is necessary to preserve the rights of theological nations. This resolution as it stands right now contradicts itself in many ways this is necessary!

The World Assembly hereby repeals GENERAL ASSEMBLY RESOLUTION # 15 "Freedom of Marriage Act ".

-Rokon & New Xania
Last edited by Rokon on Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:31 pm, edited 14 times in total.

The Emmerian Unions
Minister

Founded: Jan 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: [Draft] Repeal GA Resolution # 15 Freedom of Marriage Act

Postby The Emmerian Unions » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:09 pm

The Non-Ambassador to the WA sighed softly and facepalmed before saying "NO! Go away now please and take your illegal proposal with you back you your stuck-in-the-dark ages country." He then stood up and streted a bit. "The rason I say that this is illegal is because you are including new legislation into a repeal by stating that gays have rights, but not to get married. Now, go away. Shoo! Shoo!"
The Cake is a lie!
<<Peace through Fear and Superior Firepower>>

STOP AMERICAN IMPERIALISM? America is ANTI-IMPERIAL!
Ifreann wrote:"And in world news, the United States has recently elected Bill Gates as God Emperor For All Time. Foreign commentators believe that Gates' personal fortune may have played a role in his victory, but criticism from the United States of Gates(as it is now known) has been sparse and brief."
For good Russian Rock Radio, go here.
Please note, I rarely go into NSG. If I post there, please do not expect a response from me.
ALL HAIL THE GODDESS REPLOID PRODUCTIONS!

Unibot
Senator

Founded: May 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:19 pm

Zhildigo raised an eyebrow, "Not that I agree with this proposal, but this Repeal does not state it is giving more rights to homosexuals, it is merely acknowledging that they do have rights confirmed by the WA in proposals elsewhere, such as the right to not be discriminated against. They would however, not have the universal right to marriage, if this ungodly and absurd repeal gained popular support."

"Question though, would refusing a homosexual couple the power to wed because of their sexual orientation be discrimination? In which case the author would need to repeal two very good resolutions to reach its goal through WA channels (as opposed to just leaving the WA)."

Havensky
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 01, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Havensky » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:26 pm

The Skyan Delegation simply boos...

(Although...we do find it amusing the the magic sign next to the World Assembly Rail Terminal turned into an ad for all-gay cruises.)
The Skybound Republic of Havensky
(Pronounced Haven-Sky)

Rokon
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Rokon » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:30 pm

Okay I have made it clear now that they have rights according to other WA legislation!

The Emmerian Unions
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emmerian Unions » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:34 pm

Wait a sec......

Isn't this:

DETERMINED To repeal this to demonstrate that christianity still rules in this world

Trolling?
The Cake is a lie!

Ifreann wrote:"And in world news, the United States has recently elected Bill Gates as God Emperor For All Time. Foreign commentators believe that Gates' personal fortune may have played a role in his victory, but criticism from the United States of Gates(as it is now known) has been sparse and brief."
Please note, I rarely go into NSG. If I post there, please do not expect a response from me.

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Founded: Feb 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:40 pm

This is so devoid of merit, and so downright pathetic, not to say idiotic, asinine, cretine, a product of a deranged and braindead mind, among a host of other applicable qualifiers, that the only possible reaction is :palm:

Tanaara
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 27, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Tanaara » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:40 pm

"I don't care if they have other rights. Taking away their right to wed is simply wrong. and that ...'To repeal this to demonstrate that christianity still rules in this world'..What in Odins name do you mean. christianity certainly does not rule the WA, much less 'this world'. Why my home region, home to fifteen fine - and very large - nations has an incredibly low percentage of the so called 'christian religions' among it's populace."

He put down the hand of cards he had just dealt himself and looked at the newly arrived delegate from Rokon. "I suggest you spend more time reading over the various WA resolutions, proposals, legalities and so on rather than that attempting to overturn one of the oldest resolutions there is."

"My three wives and two husbands would so box that pup's ears till they rang." He commented to no one in particular as he picked his cards back up.
The mathematical probability of a common cat doing exactly as it pleases is the one scientific absolute in the world. -Lynn M. Osband

"We're not so blase, not so willing to accept that we're safe and we can let someone do our security for us. We're not going to sit there and wait for somebody else to do it because if you wait, it might be too late." Jennifer Allen re: Northwest Airlines Flight 253 - quoted for the Win!

Rokon
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Rokon » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:45 pm

Guys this is just a draft but whatever I can already see this is not going to be popular I hereby withdraw my not yet submitted proposal. Thank you for your criticism! In my actual life I support gay marriage but this is a game and i am another person. Thanks!

New Xania
Envoy

Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Xania » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:09 pm

such a shame, I fully supported this proposal

Krioval
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:10 pm

Rokon wrote:Guys this is just a draft but whatever I can already see this is not going to be popular I hereby withdraw my not yet submitted proposal. Thank you for your criticism! In my actual life I support gay marriage but this is a game and i am another person. Thanks!

OOC: Cool to see some roleplay, despite that Krioval would be dead-set opposed to this repeal (in any form).

IC:

Christianity rules the world now? How strange. I never got the memo.

[Lord] Ambassador Darvek Tyvok
Great Chiefdom of Krioval

Rokon
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Rokon » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:15 pm

Lol Ya I still might submit it to see how it does but the only reason i am doing it is for roleplay, and I like stirring up controversy!

New Xania
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby New Xania » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:17 pm

no where in it do I see Christinaity ruling the world so I now see no reason why people should not support this.

Rokon
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Rokon » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:19 pm

Yes submitting shortly!

The Emmerian Unions
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emmerian Unions » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:19 pm

New Xania wrote:no where in it do I see Christinaity ruling the world so I now see no reason why people should not support this.

He edited it out.

Rokon wrote:Yes submitting shortly!

Please, let this go on for more then 2 hours before submitting. Let it brew here for a few weeks before you submit.
Last edited by The Emmerian Unions on Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Cake is a lie!

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Founded: Feb 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:20 pm

Rokon wrote:Lol Ya I still might submit it to see how it does but the only reason i am doing it is for roleplay, and I like stirring up controversy!

OOC: Do whatever you wish, outrageous it may be, but keep it IC! My response was IC. (Disclaimer: on a RL related discussion, I'd probably argue against it just like I just did IC, if not more enraged.)
Last edited by Sionis Prioratus on Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rokon
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Rokon » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:23 pm

Okay I will let it brew get more opinions and then decide. Thanks for your criticism!

The Emmerian Unions
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emmerian Unions » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:34 pm

The longer it brews the better it becomes. But I would suggest using a different argument then not having the gays be able to marry.
The Cake is a lie!

New Xania
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby New Xania » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:36 pm

The Emmerian Unions wrote:The longer it brews the better it becomes. But I would suggest using a different argument then not having the gays be able to marry.

here's one. In theocracies (like my nation) gay marrige should not be allowed. It's part of the religion under which my governemtn operates. The Freedom of marrige bill goes against theocracies such as mine. Gay Marrige should be up to the individual nation to decide, not be forced on nations whose very foundation is against it.

Rokon
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Rokon » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:43 pm

Yes, Yes thats awesome hey New Xania could you write that for me i think you can put it into words better than me! You can be a co-author!

New Xania
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby New Xania » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:59 pm

GENERAL ASSEMBLY RESOLUTION # 15

Freedom of Marriage Act
A resolution to improve worldwide human and civil rights.

Category: Human Rights
Strength: Significant
Proposed by: Mendosia

Description: The Nations of the World Assembly,

CONVINCED that the union of two persons should be equally protected by the State regardless of gender or sexual orientation,

CONVINCED that it is necessary to adopt worldwide standards for the protection of minorities whenever persons of these minorities decide to share a life together,

DETERMINED to further the rights of persons that have been oppressed and discriminated against for ages,

RESOLVED to provide a legal framework that enhances the social recognition of these minorities,

RECOGNIZING that religious communities have different views and are free to recognize or not such unions,

ADOPT the following resolution:

Article 1 (Object)

(a) This resolution applies to civil contracts regulating the union of two persons and its effects on the common estate and inheritance rights of the participants.

(b) This resolution does not affect the criteria and restrictions in existence for the celebration of rites within religious communities.

Article 2 (Protection of Marriage)

(a) All States shall have the minimum conditions to protect the union of two persons which shall include but are not restricted to provisions regulating the administration of the common estate and the inheritance rights acquired by those entering into such a union.

(b) The protection referred to in the previous section does not automatically confer any rights other than those that the State specifically provides for the protection of the union between two persons.

(c) The provisions of this article shall not be construed to diminish the status, rights or recognition of civil contracts already in existence.

Article 3 (Non-discrimination)

(a) No State shall restrict the right to enter into such unions to persons of a certain sex or sexual orientation, nor shall they require that they be of the same or different sex.

(b) No State shall establish different conditions, requirements or effects to unions of persons of the same or different sex.

(c) No State shall create special categories of contracts with similar goals and effects to those stated in the previous article while imposing any of the restrictions stated in the previous sections.

Description: GENERAL ASSEMBLY RESOLUTION # 15 Freedom of Marriage Act shall be repealed and rendered null and void.
Argument:

ACKNOWLEDGING That there are many peoples of the same sex orientation

BELIEVING That Marriage is between a man and a woman not between the same sex.

SHOCKED That this outrageous resolution ever passed!

DETERMINED To not discriminate but keep things the way they have been for thousands of years

NOTING The people who are of this same sex orientation have their rights according to other acts by the WA

CITING But not rights to be married

removed

The World Assembly hereby repeals GENERAL ASSEMBLY RESOLUTION # 15 "Freedom of Marriage Act ".

We also ACKNOWLEDGE that gay marrige may be in violation of the founding principles and religions of nations. The original proposal even says "RECOGNIZING that religious communities have different views and are free to recognize or not such unions, " and yet forgets that in a theocracy the entire nation (including the government) is a religious community and therefore according to this should be able to decide whether or not to allow gay marrige.

This is followed later by "(a) No State shall restrict the right to enter into such unions to persons of a certain sex or sexual orientation, nor shall they require that they be of the same or different sex. ". In a theocracy such as New Xania these two contradict each other rendering the whole thing to be null and void. Therefore I propose that we instead allow nations to decide whether or not to allow gay marrige.

The Emmerian Unions
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emmerian Unions » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:01 pm

Just remember that you CANNOT introduce new legislation into the repeal.
The Cake is a lie!

New Xania
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby New Xania » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:02 pm

The Emmerian Unions wrote:Just remember that you CANNOT introduce new legislation into the repeal.

I am new to WA proposals (having never written one) so please allow me to look up the rules.

The Emmerian Unions
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emmerian Unions » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:08 pm

<<I only put in the caps to emphasize.>>
The Cake is a lie!

Cheztope
Diplomat

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Cheztope » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:20 pm

I cannot believe people like this! Gay people love each other just as much as straight people love their spouse, if not, more! Gays are people too and should have every right to marry. If you think it's wrong your barbaric and don't understand them and how hard their life is.

Yootopia- "On a scale of one to hard, it's Ron Jeremy after 6 viagras."
Greater Americania- "I just want all of you to f*** off so I can go back to asserting myself over weaker nations"
Chumblywumbly-
"Every sperm is sacred.
Every sperm is great.
If a sperm is wasted,
God gets quite irate."

Nation Map
Cheztope Military Technology Co.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly