NATION

PASSWORD

AV Referendum 2011

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

For or Against

For
70%
Against
30%

Total votes : 105

Austarliana
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

AV Referendum 2011

Postby Austarliana » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:54 am

Simple. Are you for or against AV in the the referendum to change the voting system to AV in Britain?
Last edited by Austarliana on Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lordieth
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 18, 2010
New York Times Democracy

Postby Lordieth » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:20 am

Where's the alternative poll?

Yes - 3
Leaning Towards - 1
Indifferent - 2
Leaning Against - 5
No - 4

In order of preference.
There was a signature here. It's gone now.

Lilistrea
Envoy

Founded: Mar 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Lilistrea » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:22 am

I am staunchly 'for'. AV would not be my preference, I would rather have AMS or STV, but AV is an improvement in my eyes (requires broader support of the electorate) and I don't believe we'll get another referendum on this in my lifetime if this one does not pass.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:28 am

Lordieth wrote:Where's the alternative poll?

This...

Yes - 5
Leaning Towards - 4
Indifferent - 3
Leaning Against - 2
No - 1

In order of preference
:p

But seriously, I doubt it is going to pass...
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aeronos
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Aeronos » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:58 am

I was only mildly for it at first, preferring STV instead, but then an army of strawmen started attacking my house--- err, the No Campaign propaganda started coming through my door, and this made me want to vote Yes very passionately.
My Political Compass
Economic: Left/Right (2.18)
Social: Libertarian/Authoritarian (-9.71)

Note: I am female, so please get the pronoun right!

Lilistrea
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Lilistrea » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:59 am

Aeronos wrote:I was only mildly for it at first, preferring STV instead, but then an army of strawmen started attacking my house--- err, the No Campaign propaganda started coming through my door, and this made me want to vote Yes very passionately.

I have seen the leaflets, they're utterly ridiculous. I have not, however, had any posted through my door. The "Yes!" posters in my windows, and sign staked on my front lawn, must be discouraging them. :lol:

Angleter
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Angleter » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:01 pm

Although AV is to my mind not that bad, I oppose it for the following reasons: AV, by forcing MPs to seek 50% of the 'vote' (of course, 2nd prefs are given equal weighting to 1st prefs, which I think is bollocks too), will encourage MPs to campaign and act inoffensively (working harder doesn't even come into it), punishing the radical and decisive mavericks this nation could do with and pushing the parties even closer together in the centre. Furthermore, as evidenced by above posters, I think it's patently clear that the Yes campaign sees AV not as the final destination, but as the first step on a route to PR. I absolutely oppose PR in all its forms, and thus want to kybosh this movement at the first hurdle.

Both campaigns, especially the No campaign (although I'm willing to attribute this to its lack of a proper lobby movement á la the Electoral Reform Society, and spin machine), have been atrocious and false.
Last edited by Angleter on Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[align=center]"I gotta tell you, this is just crazy, huh! This is just nuts, OK! Jeezo man."

Lilistrea
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Lilistrea » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:05 pm

Angleter wrote:AV, by forcing MPs to seek 50% of the 'vote' (of course, 2nd prefs are given equal weighting to 1st prefs, which I think is bollocks too), will encourage MPs to campaign and act inoffensively (working harder doesn't even come into it), punishing the radical and decisive mavericks this nation could do with and pushing the parties even closer together in the centre.

I don't think this is the case in, for example, Australia. Their parties certainly push their ideologies, in elections and when in power.

I also think that the public would see right through such populism, if not during the campaign period then when their representative reaches the Commons. Such a candidate would be punished in the next election if the electorate is left with a bad taste in their mouths.
Last edited by Lilistrea on Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fionnuala_Saoirse
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Fionnuala_Saoirse » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:06 pm

Angleter wrote:Although AV is to my mind not that bad, I oppose it for the following reasons: AV, by forcing MPs to seek 50% of the 'vote' (of course, 2nd prefs are given equal weighting to 1st prefs, which I think is bollocks too), will encourage MPs to campaign and act inoffensively (working harder doesn't even come into it), punishing the radical and decisive mavericks this nation could do with and pushing the parties even closer together in the centre.

I'm in agreement with this.

An AV system would have made it much more difficult for NI to achieve the relative peace it has today
Last edited by Fionnuala_Saoirse on Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stupid Telegrams Received :

- "Isn't your name the name of the female Branch of the IRA" -- Benian Republic

Angleter
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Angleter » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:07 pm

Lilistrea wrote:
Angleter wrote:AV, by forcing MPs to seek 50% of the 'vote' (of course, 2nd prefs are given equal weighting to 1st prefs, which I think is bollocks too), will encourage MPs to campaign and act inoffensively (working harder doesn't even come into it), punishing the radical and decisive mavericks this nation could do with and pushing the parties even closer together in the centre.

I don't think this is the case in, for example, Australia. Their parties certainly push their ideologies, in elections and when in power.

They're a strict two party system- ie. there's no LibDem 2nd pref vote to scrap over.
[align=center]"I gotta tell you, this is just crazy, huh! This is just nuts, OK! Jeezo man."

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:10 pm

I'm sick and tired of the direct mailings from the No camp. In fact, I think a peaceful Arab Spring style revolution to force the whole government out of Parliament and start afresh with AV would be a better idea: but keep the monarchy, because they're part of our culture.
Last edited by Charlotte Ryberg on Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Angleter
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Angleter » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:12 pm

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:In fact, I think a peaceful Arab Spring style revolution to force the whole government out of Parliament and start afresh with AV would be a better idea.

Let me take a wild stab in the dark here and suggest that you're a Labour supporter?

Morpokia
Secretary

Founded: Jan 19, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Morpokia » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:12 pm

Would prefer the STV (seeing my mother country uses that form of votation very sucessfully). I'd prefer the AV over the outdated first pass the post system It might have been ok in the 18th Century but I'd like to think we've moved on since then! Same as the poster above me I was mildly interested in this poll until I got a ton of NO junk mail, now I'm voting YES! Really one would believe the earth would end if we voted in the AV.

Siorafrica
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Siorafrica » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:15 pm

For. It can hardly be worse than first past the post.
NSG Thread Wheel;give it a spin and watch the trainwreck begin. http://cheezburger.com/View/5084656640
A doubleplusgood guide to NSpeak. http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=16895
Population of NationStates. http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=138705479531836
Yes by and large NSG for the most part absolutely has nothing but utter unadulterated contempt for religion and those who dare express it openly.-Skibereen
Oi with the arguing in circles over the same tired old topic yet again, and the trolling one another on either side with 'who is a real Christian' and 'why your logic sucks'. How about we put this one to bed again. It's going nowhere. You aren't going to change anyone's minds. Stick a fork in it kids - it's done.-Dread Lady Nathanica

Charlotte Ryberg

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:18 pm

Angleter wrote:
Charlotte Ryberg wrote:In fact, I think a peaceful Arab Spring style revolution to force the whole government out of Parliament and start afresh with AV would be a better idea.

Let me take a wild stab in the dark here and suggest that you're a Labour supporter?

Partially, but I want a fresh start to British politics, even if it means a new political movement.

Angleter
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Angleter » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:22 pm

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:
Angleter wrote:

Partially, but I want a fresh start to British politics, even if it means a new political movement.

A 'fresh start' would inevitably have Ed Miliband at the helm for years on end. The LibDems have been pilloried enough already for a revolution to consign them completely to the rubbish bins, but the Tories being subject to a revolution (after 1 year in power following Labour's 13) would damage their reputation, probably irreparably, and would see Labour- already in front in the polls- become the embodiment of the revolutionary spirit. The centre-right would have to reorganise, and since it took them 8 years to do so after 1997, I couldn't see them coming back for well over a decade. AV or no AV.
Last edited by Angleter on Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Charlotte Ryberg

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:30 pm

Angleter wrote:
Charlotte Ryberg wrote:Partially, but I want a fresh start to British politics, even if it means a new political movement.

A 'fresh start' would inevitably have Ed Miliband at the helm for years on end. The LibDems have been pilloried enough already for a revolution to consign them completely to the rubbish bins, but the Tories being subject to a revolution (after 1 year in power following Labour's 13) would damage their reputation, probably irreparably, and would see Labour- already in front in the polls- become the embodiment of the revolutionary spirit. The centre-right would have to reorganise, and since it took them 8 years to do so after 1997, I couldn't see them coming back for well over a decade. AV or no AV.

I see that this is what is most likely, along with the London Awakening of maybe 2011. If it was me however, then there could be the fourth movement. Higher tuition fees, benefit cuts... would be reversed along with nationalisation of British Rail and a zero tolerance stance on Gaddafi.
Last edited by Charlotte Ryberg on Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lilistrea
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Lilistrea » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:31 pm

Angleter wrote:
Charlotte Ryberg wrote:Partially, but I want a fresh start to British politics, even if it means a new political movement.

With recent trends in politics I can see the Lib Dems replacing the Conservative Party as the opposition to New Labour. Even if FPTP stayed in place, and despite Nick Clegg serving as David Cameron's human shield against the general public.

I say this as someone who is not aligned with any party, someone who votes pragmatically based on the policies put forward at campaign time. But maybe this period of upheaval is the perfect time to begin a foray in to politics and start a technocrat movement. ;)

Moral Libertarians
Minister

Founded: Apr 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Moral Libertarians » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:36 pm

I say Yes to AV - the no campaign just consists of ceaselessly repeating that it is undemocratic
Free market is best market.
Political Compass
I support Anarcho-Capitalism
Terra Agora wrote:A state, no matter how small, is not liberty. Taxes are not liberty, government courts are not liberty, government police are not liberty. Anarchy is liberty and anarchy is order.
Occupied Deutschland: [Government] is arbitrary. It draws a line in the sand wherever it wants, and if one crosses it, one gets punished. The only difference is where the line is.
Staenwald: meh tax evasion is understandable in some cases. I don't want some filthy politician grabbing my money for something I don't use.
Volnotova: Corporations... cannot exist without a state.
The moment statism is wiped off the face of this planet it is impossible for any corporation to continue its existance.

Alterrea
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Alterrea » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:36 pm

A thread about AV voting and I can select only ONE option?
:blink:
Last edited by Alterrea on Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Community of Alterrea's Mission to the World Assembly

OOC: Be patient, English is not my mother-tongue. I'm learning.
If you find errors in my comments, please tell me.

Georgism
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Georgism » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:36 pm

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:
Angleter wrote:

I see that this is what is most likely, along with the London Awakening of maybe 2011. If it was me however, then there could be the fourth movement. Higher tuition fees, benefit cuts... would be reversed along with nationalisation of British Rail and a zero tolerance stance on Gaddafi.

I thought you voted conservative last time around?
Georgism Factbook (including questions and answers)
¯\(°_o)/¯
Horsefish wrote:I agree with George

Georgism
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Georgism » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:37 pm

I am for the change. I won't be voting.
Georgism Factbook (including questions and answers)
¯\(°_o)/¯
Horsefish wrote:I agree with George

Lilistrea
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Lilistrea » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:38 pm

Alterrea wrote:A thread about AV voting and I can select only ONE option?
:blink:

Only two candidates means that one must acquire 50% of the vote. :lol:

Georgism wrote:I am for the change. I won't be voting.

I'm not sure I understand.
Last edited by Lilistrea on Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pesda
Minister

Founded: Jun 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Pesda » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:39 pm

How many threads have we had on this already? This must be at least the third.

Anyway, in my opinion, it's better than FPTP, but still a miserable compromise. I'd rather have a proportional system (not necessarily full PR, but still with proportional effects), such as STV,for example. I think if the votes and the seats aren't proportional, then it's not representative democracy.

If we don't have a yes vote, we could be stuck with FPTP for years, and that isn't worth it just to piss off Nick Clegg, and remember, a yes vote will piss off David Cameron.
St George of England wrote:
Pesda wrote:Alchohol has a funny taste
So does semen.
Professional Leaders wrote:
Neo-Sincostan wrote:Nah mate I live in Scotland. Or, as I dislike relating it to, the UK.
thats cool i like ireland
Interstellar Britannia wrote:And indeed, cavemen are fully capable of writing books. Have you heard of the Communist Manifesto perchance?
Green Ham wrote:
Pesda wrote:Making someone happy.

I advise lubricant if that's your objective. Or spit.
Kheil HaAvir wrote:i sleep with a poster above
Welsh speaking Plaid Cymru and SNP supporter.
Left -5.75 Lib -6.05
Why I voted for Plaid Cymru
Now a student... In England

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:39 pm

Moral Libertarians wrote:I say Yes to AV - the no campaign just consists of ceaselessly repeating that it is undemocratic

And what has Yes campaign done? No campaigns atleast gains votes from those who are not convienced by Yes'ers. It is Yes'ers who need to be having massive campaigns to convince people. Since they are not doing that, I am going to conclude that they cant be bothered to ask for vote....
Why vote for someone's cause when they cant even be bothered to ask for vote. ;)
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General