NATION

PASSWORD

Islamophobia in America: "One nation under God, not Allah"

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you believe Islamophobia is on the rise in America?

Yes
74%
No
26%

Total votes : 201

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:17 pm

Mussoliniopoli wrote:Exactly Buffy. As I already stated F1 has no interest in debating actual historical fact as he has proven with his comments about the Third Reich and the Middle East. It is just classical baiting and misinterpreting facts. Though I find it funny that he claims to have read the Qu'ran yet has no clue what the verses he is referring to are about. Most of the Qu'ran like the Torah is based on historical accounts and must be read in that way. Otherwise you end up doing exactly what this bizarre sects of Islam are doing which is purposefully corrupting what it says in order to score political points.

Thank you for posting this. I have seen few instances of fairness referring to Muslims, and this is one. As someone who has dear Muslim friends, I thank you because this is so true.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Keronians
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:17 pm

Kalibarr wrote:The US is Secular, it isn't "under god"

Indeed, I thought that too, but then I thought that perhaps they meant the motto or the old "God bless America" thing, so I didn't bring it up.
Proud Indian. Spanish citizen. European federalist.
Political compass
Awarded the Bronze Medal for General Debating at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards. Awarded Best New Poster at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards.
It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning.
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade
· Exchange of goods and services
· Free formation of prices

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

This is a capitalist model.

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:19 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Mussoliniopoli wrote:Exactly Buffy. As I already stated F1 has no interest in debating actual historical fact as he has proven with his comments about the Third Reich and the Middle East. It is just classical baiting and misinterpreting facts. Though I find it funny that he claims to have read the Qu'ran yet has no clue what the verses he is referring to are about. Most of the Qu'ran like the Torah is based on historical accounts and must be read in that way. Otherwise you end up doing exactly what this bizarre sects of Islam are doing which is purposefully corrupting what it says in order to score political points.

Thank you for posting this. I have seen few instances of fairness referring to Muslims, and this is one. As someone who has dear Muslim friends, I thank you because this is so true.

I also have very good Muslim friends, and I suppose that's why I get more angry when it comes to Muslim-bashing. These are some of the kindest people I know--far more kind than the average person. It makes my blood boil that people just denounce them right off the bat, and denounce their faith without any knowledge.
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Mussoliniopoli
Minister

Founded: Mar 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mussoliniopoli » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:19 pm

Asterdan wrote:
Mussoliniopoli wrote:Most Muslims have a functional understanding of Christianity. They view us as fellow brothers of The Book and they believe Christ was a Prophet. I don't see what you could accomplish other then explaining your specific version of Christianity which I doubt they would have much interest in.

Recalling something I learned: Aren't Muslims supposed to allow "Brothers of the Book" to continue serving God the way their holy scriptures allow? Then (please correct me if I'm wrong, because there is a 99% chance that I am so please don't hate me Muslims of NS) why do the extremists want to convert all people, including Christians and Jews, to Islam. I can understand non-Jews and non-Christians, but aren't they supposed to allow us to worship how we have been?

They are supposed to yes but by purposefully distorting the Qu'ran it makes it easier for them to justify their actions like terrorism. Honestly I don't know what to tell you as I don't understand the corruption myself. I think a lot of it carries over from a deep-seated mistrust of the West over the years mixed with local ethnic nationalism thus leading to this behavior. Hell even the extremists want to convert other Muslims who they feel aren't extreme enough or are too "Westernized" hence why they target places like Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, etc.
The Peoples' Authoritarian formerly known as Panzerjaeger
حرروا فلسطين
Economic Left/Right: -10.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.62
Power does not corrupt men; fools, however, if they get into a position of power, corrupt power.
All Aboard the Hate Train! Choo choo bitch.

Caotic chaos
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Caotic chaos » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:19 pm

Dezekneya wrote:Hate mongerers have absolutely no logical reason to hate Muslims. That's why they're hate mongerers.
Typical idiots.

we like to call them "tea-partyiers" :clap:

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:21 pm

Buffett and Colbert wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

I also have very good Muslim friends, and I suppose that's why I get more angry when it comes to Muslim-bashing. These are some of the kindest people I know--far more kind than the average person. It makes my blood boil that people just denounce them right off the bat, and denounce their faith without any knowledge.

The problem is that many, not all, but many people have decided that they will judge an entire faith and people based on the actions of a few. That's what's so sad about this.
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

GBeckastania
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby GBeckastania » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:23 pm

GBeckastania is *** warned for flaming ***. Now dial back the heat.

Apologies to anyone I have offended, I will be taking the post down.
The Government of GBECKESTANIA
GENERATION 28: The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Lokta
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lokta » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:25 pm

Mussoliniopoli wrote:
Roman Cilicia wrote:
Cause nobody in Christianity or modern-day Judaism takes those parts seriously ;)

While there are millions of people ready to kill infidels in the Caliphate's lands.

Yet there are a billion plus Muslims in the world. Unless you are seriously going to say that all Muslims are blood thirsty nutjobs then sod off with the baiting tactics. It is really 20th century and juvenile. You don't see everyone going hey those Christians are bloodthirsty fuckheads I mean look at the Klan and Timothy McVeigh!

Because The Bible doesn't condone violence against non-believers, it might have had incidents of past violence but those are stories OF PAST ACTIONS not guidelines of how people should act.

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:25 pm

Lokta wrote:
Mussoliniopoli wrote:Yet there are a billion plus Muslims in the world. Unless you are seriously going to say that all Muslims are blood thirsty nutjobs then sod off with the baiting tactics. It is really 20th century and juvenile. You don't see everyone going hey those Christians are bloodthirsty fuckheads I mean look at the Klan and Timothy McVeigh!

Because The Bible doesn't condone violence against non-believers, it might have had incidents of past violence but those are stories OF PAST ACTIONS not guidelines of how people should act.

Same goes for Islam, as I and others have shown.
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Mediterreania
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mediterreania » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:25 pm

Asterdan wrote:
Mussoliniopoli wrote:Most Muslims have a functional understanding of Christianity. They view us as fellow brothers of The Book and they believe Christ was a Prophet. I don't see what you could accomplish other then explaining your specific version of Christianity which I doubt they would have much interest in.

Recalling something I learned: Aren't Muslims supposed to allow "Brothers of the Book" to continue serving God the way their holy scriptures allow? Then (please correct me if I'm wrong, because there is a 99% chance that I am so please don't hate me Muslims of NS) why do the extremists want to convert all people, including Christians and Jews, to Islam. I can understand non-Jews and non-Christians, but aren't they supposed to allow us to worship how we have been?

You're very correct. In Iran, they've actually got parliament seats guaranteed for "People of the Book" (Jews, Christians, Zoroastrians and a few other Abrahamic sects).
Quick and dirty guide to factions in Mediterranea, and puppets to serve as examples:
-Free Assembly - decentralized group of local associations. Main faction.
-Workers' Republic - anarcho-syndicalist commune
-República Morsica (Betico)
-Republic of Lusca
-Catholic State (The Archbishop of Siraucsa)

Innsmothe
Senator

Founded: Sep 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Innsmothe » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:26 pm

Lokta wrote:
Mussoliniopoli wrote:Yet there are a billion plus Muslims in the world. Unless you are seriously going to say that all Muslims are blood thirsty nutjobs then sod off with the baiting tactics. It is really 20th century and juvenile. You don't see everyone going hey those Christians are bloodthirsty fuckheads I mean look at the Klan and Timothy McVeigh!

The Old testament is still included and often referenced from modern day bibles as truisms.
It is a fallacy to say Christianity is beyond inter-faith barbarism.
Last edited by Innsmothe on Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ان الذي فشل لقتلي فقط يجعلني غريب
"an aledy feshel leqtely feqt yej'eleny gheryeb"
Ronald Reagan: "Well, what do you believe in? Do you want to abolish the rich?"
Olof Palme, the Prime Minister of Sweden: "No, I want to abolish the poor."

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -7.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.54

Keronians
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:27 pm

Lokta wrote:

Amuse me. How does the Qu'ran promote it?
Political compass
Awarded the Bronze Medal for General Debating at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards. Awarded Best New Poster at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards.
It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning.
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

Keronians
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:28 pm

Buffett and Colbert wrote:
Lokta wrote:

Same goes for Islam, as I and others have shown.

Why? It would have been funny for him to quote verses from the Qu'ran out of context.
Political compass
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

Mussoliniopoli
Minister

Founded: Mar 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mussoliniopoli » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:30 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

You are quite welcome. It has been something that has bothered me for a while on NSG and I even talked to CM about how bad it is getting. Unfortunately it seems our little bigoted friend doesn't' like to be outed and has reported me to Moderation. I don't expect a favorable outcome so I bid everyone adieu!
The Peoples' Authoritarian formerly known as Panzerjaeger
حرروا فلسطين
Economic Left/Right: -10.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.62
Power does not corrupt men; fools, however, if they get into a position of power, corrupt power.
All Aboard the Hate Train! Choo choo bitch.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:31 pm

Mussoliniopoli wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

You are quite welcome. It has been something that has bothered me for a while on NSG and I even talked to CM about how bad it is getting. Unfortunately it seems our little bigoted friend doesn't' like to be outed and has reported me to Moderation. I don't expect a favorable outcome so I bid everyone adieu!

See you later. :)
Slava Ukraini

Innsmothe
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Innsmothe » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:32 pm

Mussoliniopoli wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

:hug:

Your political compass

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:34 pm

Coffee break!

(Which, oddly enough, does come from Islamic countries...)

Edit: Ok, gone through it from my last warning.

Mussoliniopoli, you just lost a nation because of the very same actions. The loss of a nation is supposed to alert you that your style of posting in unacceptable and that changes need to be made to keep from getting uninvited to play here. You are supposed to grow in wisdom.

These: viewtopic.php?p=5003993#p5003993, viewtopic.php?p=5004048#p5004048, viewtopic.php?p=5004182#p5004182, viewtopic.php?p=5004336#p5004336, viewtopic.php?p=5004469#p5004469 do not show growth in wisdom, they show the exact same flamebaiting tactics that got you DEAT'ed in the first place.

We can understand that religion gets the blood a boiling, especially when posters from oposing sides tend to try to shine as worse of a light onto the actions of a group you are fond of as they possibly can, but that does not excuse attacking the poster in return. Islam is a religion and can be questioned. You can defend it, but you cannot attack someone else while doing so. We're going to slap a *** warning for flamebaiting *** due to your history and the posts above and caution you that you do not have nearly as many chances this time around as your previously had.

We're also going to remind everyone else, again, to dial back the heat. Chilly down gang.

Thread unlocked.
Last edited by NERVUN on Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Qatarab
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Qatarab » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:03 pm

Eh...I say you ignore em like you ignore a godmodding noob because they're noobs(though not sure how godmod works in RL :P). Of course it'll take some time before they start picking on other people,maybe the atheists?
I RP With:MT(5 billion) and FT(25 Billion)[may change]
Factbook
Neo Arcad wrote:
Qatarab wrote:Where's my torch? Time to burn some courts down.

Oh, you crazy Muslim you!

Mediterreania
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mediterreania » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:28 pm

Qatarab wrote:Eh...I say you ignore em like you ignore a godmodding noob because they're noobs(though not sure how godmod works in RL :P). Of course it'll take some time before they start picking on other people,maybe the atheists?

More like trolls.
Quick and dirty guide to factions in Mediterranea, and puppets to serve as examples:
-Free Assembly - decentralized group of local associations. Main faction.
-Workers' Republic - anarcho-syndicalist commune
-República Morsica (Betico)
-Republic of Lusca
-Catholic State (The Archbishop of Siraucsa)

Qatarab
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Qatarab » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:30 pm

Mediterreania wrote:
Qatarab wrote:Eh...I say you ignore em like you ignore a godmodding noob because they're noobs(though not sure how godmod works in RL :P). Of course it'll take some time before they start picking on other people,maybe the atheists?

More like trolls.

Noob Trolling Flamers/Flame-Baiters?
I RP With:MT(5 billion) and FT(25 Billion)[may change]
Factbook
Neo Arcad wrote:
Qatarab wrote:Where's my torch? Time to burn some courts down.

Oh, you crazy Muslim you!

Brewdomia
Senator

Founded: Jun 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Brewdomia » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:11 pm

Gauthier wrote:
Brewdomia wrote:
Because they blow up children in the 21st Century.

That's right. Every single Muslim can't go past puberty without blowing up children.

You're missing the point. Islam currently now is where Christianity used to be, this will probably change as time progresses, but overall Islamists tend to be the radicals, unless the Tea Party comes to power.

Innsmothe
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Innsmothe » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:38 am

Brewdomia wrote:
Gauthier wrote:
That's right. Every single Muslim can't go past puberty without blowing up children.

You're missing the point. Islam currently now is where Christianity used to be, this will probably change as time progresses, but overall Islamists tend to be the radicals, unless the Tea Party comes to power.

Uh...
Only two sects are out right radical, and they are a minority.
The rest tend to be nationalists, like the tea party, who are upset about the 60 or so years they have been involved in US foreign policy blunders and schemes..

Your political compass

Risottia
Khan of Spam

Founded: Sep 05, 2006
Democratic Socialists

Postby Risottia » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:54 am

Roman Cilicia wrote:Maybe to you.

I think the model we need to emulate is the kingdom of Lombardy under Aistulf I, may his name be ever praised. That right there was an optimal, god-fearing society!

Real Lombard kicking in now.

From the wiki:
Aistulf (died 756) was the Duke of Friuli from 744, King of Lombards from 749, and Duke of Spoleto from 751. His father was the Duke Pemmo.
After his brother Ratchis became king, Aistulf succeeded him in Friuli. He succeeded him later as king when Ratchis abdicated to a monastery. Aistulf continued the policy of expansion and raids against the papacy and the Byzantine exarchate of Ravenna. In 751, he captured Ravenna itself and even threatened Rome, claiming a capitation tax. he also conquered Istria region from Byzantines in same year.
The popes, thoroughly irritated and alarmed, and hopeless of aid from the Byzantine Emperor, turned to the Carolingian mayors of the palace of Austrasia, the effective rulers of the Frankish kingdom. In 741, Pope Gregory III asked Charles Martel to intervene, but he was too busy elsewhere and declined. In 753, Pope Stephen II visited Charles Martel's son Pippin the Short, who had been proclaimed king of the Franks in 751 with the consent of Pope Zachary. In gratitude for the papal consent to his coronation, Pippin crossed the Alps, defeated Aistulf, and gave to the pope the lands which Aistulf had torn from the ducatus Romanus and the exarchate (Emilia-Romagna and the Pentapolis).
Aistulf died hunting in 756. He was succeeded by Desiderius as king of the Lombards and by Alboin as duke of Spoleto. He had given Friuli to his brother-in-law Anselm, abbot of Nonantula, whose sister Gisaltruda he had married, when he succeeded to the kingship in 749. [1]

Basically your idea of a good, effective, and God-fearing ruler is someone who manages to have his kingdom defeated because he tried to do in the Pope. Hmm.

I'll tell you what: YOU go back in time and have fun living as a peasant in VIII century Italy, while we in the XXI century will move on to better forms of governance, shall we.

Roman Cilicia
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Roman Cilicia » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:55 am

Risottia wrote:
Roman Cilicia wrote:Maybe to you.

I think the model we need to emulate is the kingdom of Lombardy under Aistulf I, may his name be ever praised. That right there was an optimal, god-fearing society!

Real Lombard kicking in now.

From the wiki:
Aistulf (died 756) was the Duke of Friuli from 744, King of Lombards from 749, and Duke of Spoleto from 751. His father was the Duke Pemmo.
After his brother Ratchis became king, Aistulf succeeded him in Friuli. He succeeded him later as king when Ratchis abdicated to a monastery. Aistulf continued the policy of expansion and raids against the papacy and the Byzantine exarchate of Ravenna. In 751, he captured Ravenna itself and even threatened Rome, claiming a capitation tax. he also conquered Istria region from Byzantines in same year.
The popes, thoroughly irritated and alarmed, and hopeless of aid from the Byzantine Emperor, turned to the Carolingian mayors of the palace of Austrasia, the effective rulers of the Frankish kingdom. In 741, Pope Gregory III asked Charles Martel to intervene, but he was too busy elsewhere and declined. In 753, Pope Stephen II visited Charles Martel's son Pippin the Short, who had been proclaimed king of the Franks in 751 with the consent of Pope Zachary. In gratitude for the papal consent to his coronation, Pippin crossed the Alps, defeated Aistulf, and gave to the pope the lands which Aistulf had torn from the ducatus Romanus and the exarchate (Emilia-Romagna and the Pentapolis).
Aistulf died hunting in 756. He was succeeded by Desiderius as king of the Lombards and by Alboin as duke of Spoleto. He had given Friuli to his brother-in-law Anselm, abbot of Nonantula, whose sister Gisaltruda he had married, when he succeeded to the kingship in 749. [1]

Basically your idea of a good, effective, and God-fearing ruler is someone who manages to have his kingdom defeated because he tried to do in the Pope. Hmm.

I'll tell you what: YOU go back in time and have fun living as a peasant in VIII century Italy, while we in the XXI century will move on to better forms of governance, shall we.

Well, now, the Pope back then was hardly the most Christian man on Earth ;)

I meant of course from an Arian Christian perspective, not a catholic one. Aistulf was an Arian.

Capisce?
Kylarosa wrote:
The romans were destroyed by tribes like the mongols

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7014027
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6976669

Formhault
Civilian

Founded: Feb 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Formhault » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:36 am

Anything to blur the real issues facing our country and world. Radical Christianity is just as dangerous as Islamic: hate speech is hate speech. What about the unsustainable war in the middle east? What about the foreign lobbies that undermine the sovereignty of our people? What about the disparity of wealth in the United States and worldwide? Islamophobia not only distracts those that believe in it, but also those that don't; instead of disregarding these people like the crackpots they are, we give them power. The real enemies are those that profit off of this display of ignorance, those that these perpetuate phobias with "experts" who give the mob their opinions.

Under God is supposed to mean the pursuit of ultimate truth, with liberty and justice for all. That's why you cross the Trenton, hold little round top, and storm the beaches of Normandy.

Disregard, back to your view screen citizen! Back to your view screen citizen. Here, you dropped your view screen, the talking heads are waiting...

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General