NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Prevention of Child Abuse

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

[PASSED] Prevention of Child Abuse

Postby Sanctaria » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:04 pm

Mousebumples made me do it. She has a very big stick and she beats me with it when I fall behind on my work :(

That aside though, Mouse wants to repeal the CPA and asked me to write up a replacement. Here. Maybe she'll stop beating me now.

GENERAL ASSEMBLY

Prevention of Child Abuse
A resolution to improve worldwide human and civil rights.

Category: Human Rights | Strength: Significant | Proposed by: Sanctaria

The General Assembly,

COGNISANT of the inherent innocence and naivety possessed by a child,

APPALLED that individuals may sometimes violate and/or take advantage of these attributes to further their selfish enterprises,

DESIROUS of a resolution where these natural attributes are protected and violations of the same result in swift retribution,

Hereby

DEFINES the following for the purpose of this resolution:

• A child as any individual under the national threshold of majority, or equivalent,
  • A guardian as any individual that is legally accountable for a child, or the biological parent in nations where such definitions do not exist,
  • Child abuse as any and/or all of the following:
    1. the forcing of unwanted or nonconsensual sexual behaviour and/or desire upon a child,
    2. the causing of excessive physical pain, injury or harm with a malicious intent, or through negligence, outside that which may occur from peer-to-peer bullying,
    3. any deliberate act and/or behaviour which results in serious emotional and mental trauma in a child,
    4. when a guardian deprives, intentionally or otherwise, a child of necessities such as care, nourishment, shelter, and/or healthcare on a long term or continuous basis, if that guardian is capable of providing such;

AFFIRMS that all children have the right, and expectancy, to be free from all forms of child abuse;

MANDATES that all acts of child abuse be criminalised;

REQUIRES nations to investigate fully, and to the best of their ability, all reports of child abuse;

INSISTS that such investigations be confidential, as well as respectful and impartial to the parties involved;

REQUIRES nations take all reasonable steps to ensure the safety of the victims of reported child abuse, both during and after such investigations;

FORBIDS the transport of children to a country not covered by this resolution for the purpose of contravening the articles of this resolution;

PROHIBITS the creation and/or distribution of materials without artistic merit depicting child abuse except for those which are needed for credible and genuine educational and research purposes, as well as for the investigation and prosecution of child abuse;

CLARIFIES that nothing in this resolution prohibits nations from enacting more stringent legislation on the subject of child abuse.

Co Author: The Dourian Embassy

GENERAL ASSEMBLY

APPALLED that individuals may sometimes violate and/or take advantage of these attributes to further their selfish enterprises,

DESIROUS of a resolution where these natural attributes are protected and violations of the same result in swift retribution,

Hereby

• A child as any individual under the national age of majority, or equivalent,
  • A parent as any individual that is legally accountable for minors, or the biological parent in nations where such definitions do not exist,
    1. the forcing of unwanted or nonconsensual sexual behaviour and/or desire upon a child,
    2. the causing of excessive physical pain, injury or harm with a malicious intent, or through negligence, outside that which may occur from peer-to-peer bullying,
    3. any deliberate act and/or behaviour which results in serious emotional and mental trauma in a child,
    4. when a parent deprives, intentionally or otherwise, a child of necessities such as care, nourishment, shelter, and/or healthcare on a long term or continuous basis, if that parent is capable of providing such;

AFFIRMS that all children have the right, and expectancy, to be free from all forms of child abuse;

REQUIRES nations to investigate fully, and to the best of their ability, all reports of child abuse as defined by this resolution;

INSISTS that such investigations be confidential, as well as respectful and impartial to the parties involved;

REQUIRES nations take all reasonable steps to ensure the safety of the victims of reported child abuse, both during and after such investigations;

FORBIDS the transport of children to a country not covered by this resolution for the purpose of contravening the articles of this resolution;

PROHIBITS the creation and/or distribution of materials without artistic merit depicting child abuse except for those which are needed for credible and genuine educational and research purposes, as well as for the investigation and prosecution of child abuse.

Co Author: The Dourian Embassy

GENERAL ASSEMBLY

Hereby

• A child as any individual under the national age of majority, or equivalent,
    1. the forcing of unwanted or nonconsensual sexual behaviour and/or desire upon a child
    2. the malicious and intentional causing the malicious, intentional, or negligent causing of physical pain, injury, and/or harm to a child,
    4. depriving, intentionally or otherwise, a child of necessities such as care, nourishment, shelter, and/or healthcare on a long term or continuous basis;

REQUIRES nations to investigate fully, and to the best of their ability, all reports of child abuse as defined by this resolution;

PROHIBITS the creation and/or distribution of materials depicting child abuse except for those which are needed for credible and genuine educational and research purposes, as well as for the investigation and prosecution of child abuse.

GENERAL ASSEMBLY

Hereby

• A child: any individual under the national age of majority,
  • Child Abuse as:
    1. Sexual abuse: the forcing of unwanted or nonconsensual sexual behaviour and/or desire upon a child
    2. Physical abuse: the malicious and intentional causing of physical pain, injury, and/or harm to a child,
    3. Psychological abuse: any deliberate act and/or behaviour which results in serious emotional and mental trauma in a child;
    4. Neglect: depriving, intentionally or otherwise, a child of care, nourishment, shelter, and/or healthcare on a long term or continuous basis;

INSISTS that such investigations be private, as well as respectful and impartial to the parties involved;

EXPECTS nations to take all reasonable steps to ensure the safety of the victims of reported child abuse, both during and after such investigations;

FORBIDS the transportation of children to a country not covered by this resolution for the purpose of contravening the articles of this resolution;

PROHIBITS the creation and/or distribution of materials depicting child abuse except for those which are needed for credible and genuine educational and research purposes.
Last edited by Sanctaria on Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:29 am, edited 19 times in total.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Mousebumples » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:05 pm

Sanctaria wrote:Mousebumples made me do it. She has a very big stick and she beats me with it when I fall behind on my work :(

That aside though, Mouse wants to repeal the CPA and asked me to write up a replacement. Here. Maybe she'll stop beating me now.

Does that mean "Prevention of Sanctaria Abuse" will be your next opus then? :P
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:06 pm

Mousebumples wrote:
Sanctaria wrote:Mousebumples made me do it. She has a very big stick and she beats me with it when I fall behind on my work :(

Does that mean "Prevention of Sanctaria Abuse" will be your next opus then? :P

I think I'll say no. To avoid another hiding.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 20, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:08 pm

I accept this proposal.

Sovreignry
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 14, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Sovreignry » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:09 pm

I could see myself supporting this if it came to vote. I would also bug my delegate about approving it when it was proposed as well. Just be sure to fight of the delegations that are going to bitch about "age of majority" being put in this resolution.
From the desk of
William Chocox Ambassador from The Unitary Kingdom of Sovreignry
Office 50, fifth floor, farthest from the elevator
You're supposed to be employing the arts of diplomacy, not the ruddy great thumping sledgehammers of diplomacy. -Ardchoille
It would be easier just to incorporate a "Grief Region" button, so you wouldn't even need to make the effort to do the actual raiding. Players could just bounce from region to region and destroy everyone else's efforts at will, without even bothering about WA status. Wouldn't that be nice. -Frisbeeteria

Why yes, we are better looking: UDL

Jefferson and Paul
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Jefferson and Paul » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:15 pm

I'd include that child sexual abuse includes prolonged kissing, fondling, and excessive touching. Looking at children without clothes/photographing with the intent to be sexually aroused can also be included.

Edit: I've realized the first portion should already be covered by the definition provided, but I'm not sure if the latter is.
Last edited by Jefferson and Paul on Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WA Ambassador
Obo Sayver

★ ☆★ ☆★ ☆★ ☆★ ☆ UDL ★ ☆★ ☆★ ☆★ ☆★ ☆~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ossitania
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ossitania » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:40 pm

We are broadly supportive of this draft and feel that it is a more than adequate replacement for CPA.
Last edited by Ossitania on Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guy in the Boat,
GA #146 (Co-authored)
GA #177 (Co-authored)
GA #183(Authored)
GA #198 (Co-authored)
GA #202 (Authored)
GA #206 (Authored)
GA #212 (Co-authored)
GA #238 (Authored)
GA #240 (Authored)

President and Sole Resident of Ossitania

Member of UNOG
Ideological Bulwark #265

Libraria and Ausitoria
Negotiator

Founded: May 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Libraria and Ausitoria » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:40 pm

Sanctaria wrote:
Mousebumples wrote:Does that mean "Prevention of Sanctaria Abuse" will be your next opus then? :P

I think I'll say no. To avoid another hiding.

We can't have this!

So, can we make one request: that the world 'child' be omitted and replaced with 'person', except where it is part of the words 'Child Abuse', where it should be replaced with 'Abuse', and 'children' be replaced with 'persons'?
The Aestorian Commonwealth - Pax Prosperitas - Gloria in Maere - (Factbook)

Disclaimer: Notwithstanding any mention of their nations, Ausitoria and its canon does not exist nor impact the canon of many IFC & SACTO & closed-region nations; and it is harassment to presume it does. However in accordance with my open-door policy the converse does not apply: they still impact Ausitoria's canon.
○ Commonwealth Capital (Bank) ○ ○ Commonwealth Connect (Bank Treaty) ○ ○ SeaScape (Shipping & Energy) ○
(██████████████████████████████║║◙█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙[█]

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:41 pm

Libraria and Ausitoria wrote:
Sanctaria wrote:I think I'll say no. To avoid another hiding.

We can't have this!

So, can we make one request: that the world 'child' be omitted and replaced with 'person', except where it is part of the words 'Child Abuse', where it should be replaced with 'Abuse', and 'children' be replaced with 'persons'?

No. This is about child abuse.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)

Libraria and Ausitoria
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Libraria and Ausitoria » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:03 pm

But what about the editors? What about the adults?

(We support this proposal).

Disclaimer: Notwithstanding any mention of their nations, Ausitoria and its canon does not exist nor impact the canon of many IFC & SACTO & closed-region nations; and it is harassment to presume it does. However in accordance with my open-door policy the converse does not apply: they still impact Ausitoria's canon.
○ Commonwealth Capital (Bank) ○ ○ Commonwealth Connect (Bank Treaty) ○ ○ SeaScape (Shipping & Energy) ○

Cowardly Pacifists
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cowardly Pacifists » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:20 pm

Sanctaria wrote:DEFINES the following for the purpose of this resolution:

Is it heinous to wonder if we should take this opportunity to define a child with terms other than "age of majority?" I get that there is a lobby that hates the idea of the WA taking away governments' power to define childhood how they please, but for the purposes of this kind of legislation I feel that a tighter definition might be warranted. After all, it doesn't seem right that a this proposal wouldn't apply to toddlers in nations without an age of majority, or might apply to 25-year-olds in nations with a high age of majority.

Just wondering if a different definition of child that doesn't invoke the slippery concept of age of majority has been considered. Perhaps "any individual of an age spanning from birth through the end of adolescence"?
The We Already Surrender of Cowardly Pacifists

Warning: Sometimes uses puppets.
Another Warning: Posts from this nation are always OOC.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:33 pm

Cowardly Pacifists wrote:
Sanctaria wrote:DEFINES the following for the purpose of this resolution:

Is it heinous to wonder if we should take this opportunity to define a child with terms other than "age of majority?" I get that there is a lobby that hates the idea of the WA taking away governments' power to define childhood how they please, but for the purposes of this kind of legislation I feel that a tighter definition might be warranted. After all, it doesn't seem right that a this proposal wouldn't apply to toddlers in nations without an age of majority, or might apply to 25-year-olds in nations with a high age of majority.

Just wondering if a different definition of child that doesn't invoke the slippery concept of age of majority has been considered. Perhaps "any individual of an age spanning from birth through the end of adolescence"?

Of course other definitions have been considered. They have all been found to be lacking or not very extensive. The definition you provide, for example, is just as subjective as you claim "age of majority" is. Just as a nation could make the age of majority 3, I could define adolescence as a period of 10 - 14 days after birth.

I really don't understand this Assembly's reluctance to deal with "age of majority", especially as it's already been ruled that under RNT we can, and should, proceed.

I could add "or equivalent" I guess.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)

Cowardly Pacifists
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cowardly Pacifists » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:28 pm

Sanctaria wrote:Of course other definitions have been considered. They have all been found to be lacking or not very extensive. The definition you provide, for example, is just as subjective as you claim "age of majority" is. Just as a nation could make the age of majority 3, I could define adolescence as a period of 10 - 14 days after birth.

I really don't understand this Assembly's reluctance to deal with "age of majority", especially as it's already been ruled that under RNT we can, and should, proceed.

I'm trying to get at the fact that the term "child" involves two distinct concepts. There's the concept of being a child "legally" and of being a child "developmentally." The preamble makes clear that this proposal is really about the later, i.e. protecting those who are still in the developmental state of childhood. Accordingly, I was just wondering if thought was given to a definition that better serves that purpose, rather than falling back on the old legal standby of "a child is a person who is not legally an adult."

P.S. "Adolescence," refers to a developmental period after puberty. It would hardly be possible to define adolescence as a period of 10-14 days after birth (unless your species really goes through puberty that fast). Age of majority, on the other hand, could be defined as a period of 10-14 days after birth, since the concept is just a legal fiction with no necessary relationship to physical or mental development. Just food for thought.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:42 pm

Cowardly Pacifists wrote:
Sanctaria wrote:Of course other definitions have been considered. They have all been found to be lacking or not very extensive. The definition you provide, for example, is just as subjective as you claim "age of majority" is. Just as a nation could make the age of majority 3, I could define adolescence as a period of 10 - 14 days after birth.

I'm trying to get at the fact that the term "child" involves two distinct concepts. There's the concept of being a child "legally" and of being a child "developmentally." The preamble makes clear that this proposal is really about the later, i.e. protecting those who are still in the developmental state of childhood. Accordingly, I was just wondering if thought was given to a definition that better serves that purpose, rather than falling back on the old legal standby of "a child is a person who is not legally an adult."

P.S. "Adolescence," refers to a developmental period after puberty. It would hardly be possible to define adolescence as a period of 10-14 days after birth (unless your species really goes through puberty that fast). Age of majority, on the other hand, could be defined as a period of 10-14 days after birth, since the concept is just a legal fiction with no necessary relationship to physical or mental development. Just food for thought.

I'm well aware of both the concepts of being a "child" and being an "adolescence. However my point was that no matter which definition I go with, there will always be situations, or claimed to be situations, in which the definition would be either unsuitable or inapplicable.

I really don't see the problem with the definition, or theory, of a legal age of majority. A child is someone who is not an adult. Due to the constraints of this Assembly, and the variety of its membership, one cannot apply a traditional non-arbitrary method such as biology in determining who and who is not a child. As such, and as already pointed out under RNT, it's easier and far less messy to utilise the "a child is someone who is not an adult" definition.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Postby Mousebumples » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:05 pm

Cowardly Pacifists wrote:I'm trying to get at the fact that the term "child" involves two distinct concepts. There's the concept of being a child "legally" and of being a child "developmentally." The preamble makes clear that this proposal is really about the later, i.e. protecting those who are still in the developmental state of childhood. Accordingly, I was just wondering if thought was given to a definition that better serves that purpose, rather than falling back on the old legal standby of "a child is a person who is not legally an adult."

If your nation wishes to set your "age of majority" at the age of adolescence, that's your call. There is nothing in this resolution that prevents you from using the human equivalent of 11 or 13 or 16 as your nation's age of majority if you so choose.

And that's the beauty of using "age of majority" (although I do like the "or equivalent" idea, I'll admit, as it makes it less loopholeable) - it makes things more adaptable to individual member states.

If your concern is regarding the sexual abuse angle, the key term "nonconsensual" in the definition should cover that as well. Your nation is also entitled to set an age of consent - as outlined in GAR#16 - Sexual Privacy Act.

I must say, I really am confused about what your concern is with "age of majority." Setting a specific age will run into the same troubles that sunk a certain "time limits" proposal that was proposed not too long ago. There are too many different nations with different types of citizens with different life spans, etc., etc. This proposal applies to all reasonable nations thanks to the Reasonable Nation Theory - and Sanct has already highlighted a previous mod ruling on the subject above.

If there's something else I'm missing, please enlighten me.

Yours in confusion,
Nikolas Eberhart
Ambassador from the Doctoral Monkey Feet of Mousebumples
WA Delegate for Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG

Cowardly Pacifists
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cowardly Pacifists » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:14 pm

Mousebumples wrote:If your nation wishes to set your "age of majority" at the age of adolescence, that's your call. There is nothing in this resolution that prevents you from using the human equivalent of 11 or 13 or 16 as your nation's age of majority if you so choose.

And that's the beauty of using "age of majority" (although I do like the "or equivalent" idea, I'll admit, as it makes it less loopholeable) - it makes things more adaptable to individual member states.

If your concern is regarding the sexual abuse angle, the key term "nonconsensual" in the definition should cover that as well. Your nation is also entitled to set an age of consent - as outlined in GAR#16 - Sexual Privacy Act.

I must say, I really am confused about what your concern is with "age of majority." Setting a specific age will run into the same troubles that sunk a certain "time limits" proposal that was proposed not too long ago. There are too many different nations with different types of citizens with different life spans, etc., etc. This proposal applies to all reasonable nations thanks to the Reasonable Nation Theory - and Sanct has already highlighted a previous mod ruling on the subject above.

If there's something else I'm missing, please enlighten me.

I think I'm being misunderstood. I am supportive of this proposal in principle and the repeal drafted by Mousebumples. This is just my way of offering constructive criticism. To the extant that Sanctaria wants to define child in terms of legal age of majority, that's just fine by me.

The proposal seems more interested in protecting "children" as defined in the developmental sense rather than the legal sense. I just thought I'd float the idea of defining child in terms of development rather than legal majority. I am known (on occasion) to draw academic distinctions. If folks think this is one of them and that there would be no real difference in how the proposal operates I can accept that.

Perhaps I need to work on my delivery... I find that even when I attempt to offer help people treat it like I'm attacking them.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:20 pm

Cowardly Pacifists wrote:The proposal seems more interested in protecting "children" as defined in the developmental sense rather than the legal sense. I just thought I'd float the idea of defining child in terms of development rather than legal majority. I am known (on occasion) to draw academic distinctions. If folks think this is one of them and that there would be no real difference in how the proposal operates I can accept that.

While I understand there being a distinction, often the two are combined. Some nations may chose to set the legal majority at the year the average child ends their development, the conclusion of adolescence, or whatever you want to call it.

I really don't think the proposal operates any different. The meat, so to speak, is in its operative clauses. I often find the preamble to just be a background or reasoning for the legislation. What the resolution itself does is more important.
Last edited by Sanctaria on Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)

Libraria and Ausitoria
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Libraria and Ausitoria » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:00 pm

Cowardly Pacifists wrote:The proposal seems more interested in protecting "children" as defined in the developmental sense rather than the legal sense. I just thought I'd float the idea of defining child in terms of development rather than legal majority. I am known (on occasion) to draw academic distinctions. If folks think this is one of them and that there would be no real difference in how the proposal operates I can accept that.

We agree. Possibly the end of legally required education would suffice? Because presumably every nation requires some sort of education standards, and by the end of it society regards them as responsible.

Perhaps I need to work on my delivery... I find that even when I attempt to offer help people treat it like I'm attacking them.

OOC: Alas, we cannot display delivery perfectly with words alone ... maybe emoticons should be encouraged?

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Postby Mousebumples » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:02 pm

We agree. Possibly the end of legally required education would suffice? Because presumably every nation requires some sort of education standards, and by the end of it society regards them as responsible.

I can't speak for Sanct, but I'm confused as to why you insist on trying to "fix" something that I don't think it broken.

Is there any part of the resolution that keeps your nation from defining "age of majority" as the equivalent from "age of completing school" ? *scratches head*
Proud Member of UNOG

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:04 pm

Eh, no.

I don't really intend to change the definition. It's the most used one for a reason. This debate comes up time and again whenever such a resolution is proposed and the reason that the definition I'm going along with is used is because it's the most practical. Unless a miracle happens and someone establishes a clearer definition, applicable for everyone definition, then I don't think I'll be changing it.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)

Englonia
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Englonia » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:04 pm

you forgot pedophile advocacy/activism. (the art of justifying, defending, or supporting pedophiles)
The Commonwealth of Englonia
Amor Nunquam Mori, (our love (for this country) can never die)
Join my game show!
Attention Esportivans, wanna race?

the war on nirvana
IC
OOC

Libraria and Ausitoria
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Libraria and Ausitoria » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:05 pm

Mousebumples wrote:I can't speak for Sanct, but I'm confused as to why you insist on trying to "fix" something that I don't think it broken.

Is there any part of the resolution that keeps your nation from defining "age of majority" as the equivalent from "age of completing school" ? *scratches head*

All of the other resolutions which refer to the 'age of majority', perhaps?

In this proposal it is more about developmental ability rather than legal ability, so what have you got against a distinction?
Last edited by Libraria and Ausitoria on Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:12 pm

Mousebumples wrote:I can't speak for Sanct, but I'm confused as to why you insist on trying to "fix" something that I don't think it broken.

All of the other resolutions which refer to the 'age of majority', perhaps?

I'm a bright guy. I wouldn't have been appointed to this job otherwise. And maybe it's because it's late (early?), but I really don't understand this response.

When asked what your problem was with my proposal using "age of majority" your response was that your problem was with ... other resolutions?

Am I missing something here? Is there a step that I'm not seeing or ... ?

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)

Pollepao
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Pollepao » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:29 am

Pollepao, upon considering this resolution and its wording, has to decline to support this resolution in its current form. We would request that the following clause;

EXPECTS nations to take all reasonable steps to ensure the safety of the victims of reported child abuse, both during and after such investigations;

Be modified to;

DECLARES that nations are to take all reasonable steps to ensure the safety of the victims of reported child abuse, both during and after such investigations;

An expectation can be broken, defied, go unfulfilled - this wording adds rather too much optionality into this clause for our taste.
Last edited by Pollepao on Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."

-Benjamin Franklin

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:57 am

I've changed it to the following:
REQUIRES nations to take all reasonable steps to ensure the safety of the victims of reported child abuse, both during and after such investigations;

I've also added "or equivalent" to the child definition.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives