NATION

PASSWORD

Scottish independence?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Anglolands
Civil Servant

Founded: May 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Scottish independence?

Postby Anglolands » Wed May 30, 2012 6:20 am

Hello Everybody!

I've seen today in the news that Scottish National Party's campaign for independence called 'Yes, Scotland' has been launched by the Scottish Prime Minister Alex Salmond.

Well i wonder if there are some Scottish or British people here who have some arguments for or against the Scottish independence?

I've been living in Scotland for 10 months already and I personally doubt whether it is the right path for Scotland to follow.
Taking into consideration the economic situation of Scotland with its huge public sector, I doubt if it would benefit from going on its own.

Does anybody want to add something? ;)

Divair
Khan of Spam

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Wed May 30, 2012 6:21 am

If the majority of Scots wanted it, I'd support it. It probably would end up hurting both the UK and Scotland, though, so until a referendum is held, I'm against it.
Last edited by Divair on Wed May 30, 2012 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Wed May 30, 2012 6:22 am

I see no point to it.

Demphor
Senator

Founded: Jun 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Demphor » Wed May 30, 2012 6:24 am

How many of these bloody threads are there?

Scotland For Scots, England for English.

Scotland, Now.
Get money out of politics, join Wolf PAC
iiWikiNational Anthem of Demphor
“When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?"
~ John Maynard Keynes

Hibernion (Ancient)
Ambassador

Founded: May 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Hibernion (Ancient) » Wed May 30, 2012 6:25 am

I am American, but I have Scottish in me, so i think Scotland should gain independence
I am a right leaning centrist

http://i49.tinypic.com/fenoll.jpg

My national anthem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJiHDmyhE1A

DEFCON LEVEL:
5) Peace
4)Tensions
3) Arms Ready
2) War
1) Annihilation

Greater Alaska (Ancient)
Spokesperson

Founded: May 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Alaska (Ancient) » Wed May 30, 2012 6:26 am

It would be a mistake for Scotland to leave the union, at the moment it looks like the majority of Scots are against independence anyway.

Anglolands
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Anglolands » Wed May 30, 2012 6:26 am

Divair wrote:If the majority of Scots wanted it, I'd support it. It probably would end up hurting both the UK and Scotland, though.

Well the recent survey said that 57% of Scots oppose the independence.
However I have such impression that even though some people who did not have any clear view on it, are now accepting such possibility because it is so widespread in the media and daily life.

I dont really get that.....

Romanov Island
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Romanov Island » Wed May 30, 2012 6:27 am

I want to support the rights of all peoples to self-determination--but (and I ask the same question of the Parti Quebecois here in NAm) is it practical? Dunno...

Tubbsalot
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Tubbsalot » Wed May 30, 2012 6:27 am

I don't understand why anyone cares. Independence wouldn't change anything at all.
"Twats love flags." - Yootopia

Khaucasus
Lobbyist

Founded: May 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Khaucasus » Wed May 30, 2012 6:32 am

if the majority wants independence...Scottish Republic must be proclaimed
PEACE

A proud Transcaucasian!Don't bother to argue with me.It will end nowhere or to SUPER TROLLING.

Long Live the Khaucasus Chanate!

Forster Keys
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Forster Keys » Wed May 30, 2012 6:33 am

If the Scots want it.
The blue sky above beckons us to take our freedom, to paint our path across its vastness. Across a million blades of grass, through the roars of our elation and a thousand thundering hooves, we begin our reply.

Chulainan
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chulainan » Wed May 30, 2012 6:33 am

Tubbsalot wrote:I don't understand why anyone cares. Independence wouldn't change anything at all.

Y'know if more people listened to you, we wouldn't have one of these threads ruffly every two months or so.
The Net is vast and infinite - Major Makoto Kusanagi
Major Motoko Kusanagi: If we all reacted the same way, we'd be predictable, and there's always more than one way to view a situation. What's true for the group is also true for the individual. It's simple: Overspecialize, and you breed in weakness. It's slow death.
Puppet Master: We have been subordinate to our limitations until now. The time has come to cast aside these bonds and to elevate our consciousness to a higher plane. It is time to become a part of all things.

Agymnum wrote:
The Laughing Goats wrote:Because it's gross. Duh.

I find shitting to be gross.

Shitting is therefore wrong. It should be banned and no one should be allowed to take a shit. Ever.

Lancaster of Wessex
Senator

Founded: Feb 21, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Lancaster of Wessex » Wed May 30, 2012 6:33 am

Tubbsalot wrote:I don't understand why anyone cares. Independence wouldn't change anything at all.

Uh, how bout their finances? And their share of the UK public debt? They'd be financially crippled day 1 of their independence.

It's idealistic, it's nice, but practical? No. Not by far.

EDIT: That being said, if the majority votes for it, go for it - good luck...they'll need it.
Last edited by Lancaster of Wessex on Wed May 30, 2012 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lancaster.
Duke of the Most Ancient and Noble House of Lancaster of Wessex

The Most High, Potent, and Noble Prince, Lancaster, By the Grace of God, Duke of Wessex, Protector of the Enclaved Pious Estates of The Church of Wessex, Lord of Saint Aldhelm Islands, Prince and Great Steward of Celtic Wessex, Keeper of the Great Seal of the Duchy and House of Lancaster of Wessex, Sovereign of the Most Ancient and Illustrious Order of the Gold Gryphon, etc.

Machiavellionia
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Machiavellionia » Wed May 30, 2012 6:33 am

This. Once Scots understand the benefits for themselves and the rest of the Union and realise that 'independence' is largely an arbitrary formality, I think everyone will be much happier. So, if they really want independence, then they should have it (Hell, I'm a democrat at heart). But they must consider that the Union is best for everyone.
Call me Mach. It's what I imagine friends would do.
London's Burning: 1970s London set RP about a fascist led civil war in the UK. Choose your side, fight for your vision of Britain.
Machiavellionia wrote:Interesting fact: Britain has only ever had two communist MPs (as in, members of the Communist party, rather than just, say, Labour members with communist tendencies) and they were both thrown out of Parliament in around 1962. For fighting. With each other.

That's right. I sigged myself. Cus I'm 'ardcore.
Economic Left/Right: -0.86
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.94

Greater Alaska (Ancient)
Spokesperson

Founded: May 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Alaska (Ancient) » Wed May 30, 2012 6:36 am

Khaucasus wrote:if the majority wants independence...Scottish Republic must be proclaimed

Not a republic, they said even if they get granted independence, they will be under the same monarch.

Anglolands
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Anglolands » Wed May 30, 2012 6:38 am

Greater Alaska wrote:
Khaucasus wrote:if the majority wants independence...Scottish Republic must be proclaimed

Not a republic, they said even if they get granted independence, they will be under the same monarch.

Yeah i agree that the monarch will be still present.....which is another ridiculous idea to be honest....

Frozen
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Frozen » Wed May 30, 2012 6:38 am

I would be way over the word count if I went into every single thought I have about this so I'll try to bullet point.
I am a liberal Nationalist, SNP voter and Glaswegian Student. I do however see the negatives and positives despite being pro-independence.
- I believe every country should rule itself, Unions of countries never work. I believe this for states in America also, countries will claim favoritism and victimization, so taking away these Scapegoats will be good for personal Identity and motivation for everyone in Scotland.
- A lot of Scottish citizens have ingrained Anglo-phobia, (hate/fear of England) I believe this would increase if we became inde4pendant but I would like to see this tackled BEFORE the referendum.
- Having two separate nations sharing borders and entering trade agreements would be beneficial to both economies. Independence would allow both countries to "solve their own shit without worrying about the neighbors'
- No government can understand each and every citizen of their country, a fact that is only grossly magnified by the UK system. example: conservatives win 1 seat in Scotland and still end up governing Scotland. The conservative party is notorious for hammering Scotland and the same is true now.
- Any oil found in the north sea will be Scottish, providing economic benefits.
- Russia has already been quoted to be interested in trade with an independent Scotland. This is a benefit enough, especially when you consider (that if history is telling anything) America and Russia will compete for this trade placing independent Scotland in a Seller's market.
Negatives
- Anglo phobia increase
- Weakened Military shortly after independence
- Salmond seems to want to promote "tartan Brave heart Scotland" rather than focusing on building a new image of Scotland that shatters stereotypes.
- IRA endorsement. IRA would support our independence, but their support would be counter-intuitive since they are classed as a terrorist group
I am Scottish, not British. I do not recognize a British monarch or court.
I am a Scottish teenager. My political ideals are Nationalism and Isolationism [SNP]. I am obsessed with wolves and steak

#LynchClinch

Frozen
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Frozen » Wed May 30, 2012 6:42 am

also think we should drop the monarchy, if we separate from the UK why do we still recognize the UK monarch?
and if it's a formality then there shouldn't be so much opposition.
I think last poll had 63% support.
I believe that a reparation system to cover our share of UK debt could be introduced, so long as we're not talking Versailles standard reparations.
I am Scottish, not British. I do not recognize a British monarch or court.
I am a Scottish teenager. My political ideals are Nationalism and Isolationism [SNP]. I am obsessed with wolves and steak

#LynchClinch

Lancaster of Wessex
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Lancaster of Wessex » Wed May 30, 2012 6:43 am

Frozen wrote:also think we should drop the monarchy, if we separate from the UK why do we still recognize the UK monarch?
and if it's a formality then there shouldn't be so much opposition.
I think last poll had 63% support.
I believe that a reparation system to cover our share of UK debt could be introduced, so long as we're not talking Versailles standard reparations.

She's Queen of Scotland every inch she is Queen of England...her ancestry includes James I, who was James VI of Scotland prior to taking the English crown.

EDIT: Unless you're a Jacobite. ;P
Last edited by Lancaster of Wessex on Wed May 30, 2012 6:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lancaster.

The Most High, Potent, and Noble Prince, Lancaster, By the Grace of God, Duke of Wessex, Protector of the Enclaved Pious Estates of The Church of Wessex, Lord of Saint Aldhelm Islands, Prince and Great Steward of Celtic Wessex, Keeper of the Great Seal of the Duchy and House of Lancaster of Wessex, Sovereign of the Most Ancient and Illustrious Order of the Gold Gryphon, etc.

Mad hatters in jeans
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 14, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Mad hatters in jeans » Wed May 30, 2012 6:43 am

Lambrinisia
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 06, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Lambrinisia » Wed May 30, 2012 6:44 am

If it wants independence so much, why not hold referendum sooner rather than later than in 2014?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-s ... s-18080527

If Scotland wants independence, then by all means ask the population. But I believe that you should do something about it rather than moan for ages about it and then procrastinate when you get your way.
There's a feeling deep inside me,
And it's always there to guide me.
It's in my heart and in my soul,
Leading me to the ultimate goal!
You can try your best this might be fun,
You'll go down in defeat before you've begun!
We are about to commence Operation "Bomb the crap out of your house".
Samuraikoku wrote:You're entitled to your own opinions, your own car and your own plane, but not to your own facts.

West Gaul
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby West Gaul » Wed May 30, 2012 6:44 am

If Scotland was free it's economy would probably fall apart within the first few years.

If they were smart they would stay with the rest of the UK.
The last defenders of our glorious empire.

Politcal compass
Economic Left/Right: 1.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.21
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk231/ElemixZero/pcgraphpngphp.png

Lancaster of Wessex
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Lancaster of Wessex » Wed May 30, 2012 6:47 am

West Gaul wrote:If Scotland was free it's economy would probably fall apart within the first few years.

If they were smart they would stay with the rest of the UK.

I don't know if it'd fall apart per se, but as I noted, it'd face enormous financial difficulties, I believe, from day 1.

To those who say "what's the big deal?" I have NO clue how they come to that frankly ridiculous opinion.
Lancaster.

The Realm of God
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Realm of God » Wed May 30, 2012 6:47 am

I am Scottish and I am strongly opposed to the SNP. To be honest we work better as a team than as bickering neighbours. If you seperated I dont think I could get Scottish citizenship (even though its the land of my birth) I've lived in England for the best part of a decade.

If you are going to cede keep A monarchy invite the Jacobite Franz of Bavaria to rule over us.

British, Orthodox Christian, humanist and stoic.

Pro. Disraelian Progressive Conservatism, One Nation Toryism, Distributionism, Civil Liberties, Pro UK, Pro US Constitution. Pro USA.

Progressive Conservative Economic Right: 0.38 Social Libertarian -2.00.

Christian Democrat NSG Senate.

Burninati0n
Envoy

Founded: Oct 15, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Burninati0n » Wed May 30, 2012 6:48 am

<Deleted.>
Last edited by Burninati0n on Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General