NATION

PASSWORD

Issues that boost industries *spoilers*

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Nezumir
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Issues that boost industries *spoilers*

Postby Nezumir » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:16 pm

After searching the forums and off-site wiki, I've found that there is very little information about which issues affect the national industries. So I decided to start a topic to discuss which issues may or may not affect national industry statistics. Since we can't see the game mechanics, this is mostly just wild speculation, but I still think it would be handy to have a list of plausible issues. Also for discussing theories about this particular mechanic. That is, are industries an independent statistic, or linked to government spending (e.g., more defense spending=more arms manufacturing). We will also include ones that decrease particular industries as well.

Arms Manufacturing

Automobile Manufacturing
Issue #2 "Reclaim the Streets" Option 3 (increase)
Issue #30 "Auto Industry Struggles Against Foreign Imports" Option 1 (increase)
Issue #290 "Wheels of Misfortune" Option 1 (decrease)
Issue #290 "Wheels of Misfortune" Option 2 (increase)

Beef-based Agriculture
Issue #7 "Animal Liberation Front Strikes Again" Option 2 (decrease)
Issue #7 "Animal Liberation Front Strikes Again" Option 3 (decrease)
Issue #9 "@@ANIMAL@@s On The Dinner Table?" Option 1 (increase)
Issue #9 "@@ANIMAL@@s On The Dinner Table?" Option 3 (decrease)
Issue #45 "Baseball League Steps Up To The Plate" Option 1 (increase)

Book Publishing
Issue #3 "Harry Potter Censorship Row" Option 1 (decrease)
Issue #3 "Harry Potter Censorship Row" Option 2 (increase)
Issue #178 "Free Press too Free?" Option 2 (Increase)

Cheese Exports

Furniture Restoration

Gambling
#108 "Gambling Interests Offer High Stakes" Option 1 (increase)
#108 "Gambling Interests Offer High Stakes" Option 2 (decrease)

Information Technology
Issue #94 "Computer Users Fed Up With Heaps of Spam!" Option 1 (decrease)
Issue #94 "Computer Users Fed Up With Heaps of Spam!" Option (increase)

Insurance

Pizza Delivery

Soda Sales
Issue #116 "Soda Sales Hits New 'High'" Option 1 (increase)

Trout Fishing

Uranium Mining
Issue #23 "Uranium Deposit Promises To Enrich @@NAME@@" Option 1 (increase)
Issue #23 "Uranium Deposit Promises To Enrich @@NAME@@" Option 2 (decrease)
Issue #69 "Power Problems Need Bright Solution" Option 3 (Increase)

Woodchip Exports

Multiple industries
Issue #41 "Software Giant Stomps on Competition" Option 2 (increases)

I'll be updating the OP as we guess and speculate. Please inform me if I've forgotten any industries. (I'm sure I have)
Last edited by Nezumir on Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:20 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Frenequesta
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 22, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Frenequesta » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:37 pm

I've been studying effects like this too.

I'll throw in some Subsidizing the auto industry for no apparent reason (Option 3) in Issue #2 "Reclaim the Streets", as well as imposing punitive tariffs (Option #1 in Issue #30 "Auto Industry Struggles Against Foreign Imports") will boost the auto manufacturing productivity index by at least one. Option #2 in Issue #178 "Free Press too Free?" will usually boost the Book Publishing industry by at least one point. Strictly enforcing antitrust laws (Option #2 in "Software Giant Stomps on Competition") will increase a variety of industries, and have discovered a point increase at different occasions for the Soda Sales, Cheese Exports, Furniture Restoration, Insurance, Woodchip Exports, and Trout Fishing industries. (It is also the only option that I have discovered so far where an increase of industry productivity is matched by a decrease in economic freedom as measured by the "Most Pro-Market" scale.) Subsidizing a baseball league (Option #1 in Issue #45, "Baseball League Steps Up To The Plate") will increase the Beef-based Agriculture industry by one.

We should probably also research which ones hamper industries. Regulating auto safety in Issue #290 "Wheels of Misfortune" will decrease the auto industry by one point, and forcing more humane methods of slaughtering and keeping animals in Issue #7 "Animal Liberation Front Strikes Again" will decrease the Beef Agriculture industry by one.

I've got more that I can disclose, but I think this is good for a start.
I’m mostly here for... something to do, I suppose.

Nezumir
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Nezumir » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:49 pm

Updated.

Here are some likely ones that I'd like to know if anyone has tested them or not:

Issue #89: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=88#089 Does it affect Trout Fishing?

Issue #90: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=88#090 Does this affect Beef-Based Agg?

Issue #103: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=88#103 Does this affect Beef-Based Agg?
Last edited by Nezumir on Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TurtleShroom
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby TurtleShroom » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:56 pm

I can confirm for a fact that the "Soda Sales Hits New High" boosts the Soda Pop Industry if you choose the Option to allow "powerful drugs".

I can also confirm that vouch that "Computer Users Fed Up with Spam" increases the Information Technology Industry if you let spam continue, descreases if you ban it, and increases government in Option Three.

Further, "Harry Potter's Censorship Row" increases the Book Publishing Industry if you allow the book, and decreases if you burn it.
THE FUTURE
IS IN THE
PAST!!

Jesus Loves You and Died for You!!
●▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ש✞ש▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬●
NationStates' only surviving States' Rights Democrat/Dixiecrat (minus the rascism)!

Nezumir
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Nezumir » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:07 pm

Updated

Corusant Sphere
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Corusant Sphere » Mon May 28, 2012 1:05 am

TurtleShroom wrote:I can confirm for a fact that the "Soda Sales Hits New High" boosts the Soda Pop Industry if you choose the Option to allow "powerful drugs".

I can also confirm that vouch that "Computer Users Fed Up with Spam" increases the Information Technology Industry if you let spam continue, descreases if you ban it, and increases government in Option Three.

Further, "Harry Potter's Censorship Row" increases the Book Publishing Industry if you allow the book, and decreases if you burn it.

It's not true! I supported that soda corporation in this issue. And my economy dropped from "All consuming" to "Powerhouse", while my GDP per capita dropped from 37 k dollars to 30 k dollars, and my GDP dropped from 141 trillion to 114 trillion. It's unfair ;P I didn't expect that..this issue ruined my great economy.
Maybe I don't understand how it works, but it shouldn't have affected my economy so much in a negative way :/

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Tue May 29, 2012 4:42 am

Corusant Sphere wrote:
TurtleShroom wrote:I can confirm for a fact that the "Soda Sales Hits New High" boosts the Soda Pop Industry if you choose the Option to allow "powerful drugs".

It's not true! I supported that soda corporation in this issue. And my economy dropped from "All consuming" to "Powerhouse", while my GDP per capita dropped from 37 k dollars to 30 k dollars, and my GDP dropped from 141 trillion to 114 trillion. It's unfair ;P I didn't expect that..this issue ruined my great economy.
Maybe I don't understand how it works, but it shouldn't have affected my economy so much in a negative way :/

Your economy is still at 96, and your trend graph doesn't show a drop. Seeing as how 96 can be represented as powerhouse, all-consuming or frightening (depending on how the game rounds the number), that means that issue caused your economy to drop a fraction of a point.

Saying it 'ruined your economy' is an exaggeration, no?

Panageadom
Ambassador

Founded: May 09, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Panageadom » Tue May 29, 2012 5:50 am

Luna Amore wrote:
Corusant Sphere wrote:

Your economy is still at 96, and your trend graph doesn't show a drop. Seeing as how 96 can be represented as powerhouse, all-consuming or frightening (depending on how the game rounds the number), that means that issue caused your economy to drop a fraction of a point.

What? One of those scores lasts smaller than one economy point?
Author of Issues:
#273: Is our children learning?
#310: Too Little Talk?
#315: Creative Flowers Withering Under Legislation
#324 "Tourism Tanking" Tells Tabloids
#334: Blot Out Bauhaus
#340: Defending Patent Pending
#365: A Busload of Worry

None at present

If I offer criticism on your proposed issue, I will often write in red: don't think I'm being aggressive, it's just a convention I use!
If I ask a question on a proposed issue thread, then it's because I feel it's one you need to ask of your issue: I'm being Socratic and/or lazy.

Supreme Court Chief Justice for Capitalist Paradise

Corusant Sphere
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Corusant Sphere » Tue May 29, 2012 6:59 am

Luna Amore wrote:
Corusant Sphere wrote:

From the statistics' perspective it had a negative impact on my economy, I lost 25 trillion dollars, and GDP per capita is much smaller.
That's why I don't understand how even the trend graph doesn't show any significan change..well, even any change :P
Everything on that graph seems fine, while there's an obvious change of economic level and of course the changes in nstracker/nsdossier data. So even that "fraction of a point" was quite significant, unfortunately.
All because of one stupid soda issue. I'm a bit disappointed because I thought that the Option 1. would be beneficial or at least neutral.

That's all from me, I won't complain. I'm waiting for the next issue to regain my previous economic status.
Last edited by Corusant Sphere on Tue May 29, 2012 7:17 am, edited 6 times in total.

Skyrim Diplomacy
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Skyrim Diplomacy » Tue May 29, 2012 10:59 am

I don't suppose any of the editors or older players could do/have done something like this for taxes/taxation rate?? That would probably be a bigger list, but I personally would like to see that, and it would probably be helpful to a lot of nations!

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Tue May 29, 2012 12:46 pm

@Pan
Yeah, all-consuming only occurs at 96. Since 96 can also be powerhouse or frightening, I assume there is some rounding involved to determine which level it's at.

@Corusant
As GDP and GDP per capita aren't NS statistics, it isn't really fair to say the issue destroyed them. As far as the game is concerned (given what info you've provided), that issue had a very slight effect on your nation. Third party sites may disagree.

@Skyrim
I don't know if any other players have made such a list, but the Issues Editors will not be able to help. Can't give out issue stats (not that we have access to the exact stats).

Nezumir
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Nezumir » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:22 pm

Updated

Ultima Spes
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 28, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Ultima Spes » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:37 pm

Wonderful

Greater Hunnia
Envoy

Founded: Sep 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Hunnia » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:09 am

Here comes some forum necromancy...

Option 3 of issue 290 (Wheels of misfortune) decreases Automobile Manufacturing. I did not see it listed before.
Last edited by Greater Hunnia on Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
This nation DOES use NS statistics, but the interpretation for some of them might be a bit skewed.

Wiking Nordland
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 11, 2014
Tyranny by Majority

Postby Wiking Nordland » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:32 pm

Effective necromancy.

Is there an issue about upping the timber industry? I know that the uranium mining ones up it, because you basically deforest in order to mine the uranium, but i have a kinda follow environmental politics. So i would like a timber industry of the size from Sweden, with yet, good environment. I'm not sure it's going to be easy :P.

Lioniel
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 02, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Lioniel » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:12 am

Any issues that invovle trout fishing? I haven't seen an issue that involves trout fishing

Wiking Nordland
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 11, 2014
Tyranny by Majority

Postby Wiking Nordland » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:31 am

Lioniel wrote:Any issues that invovle trout fishing? I haven't seen an issue that involves trout fishing

#286: A Whale of a Problem [Doom and so on; ed:Luna Amore]

This one, if you remove regulations of Whale fishing, you get a massive boost. It went from 2000 to 7000 in my nation.

I'm still searching an issue that boosts Tumber industry without breaking the environment, for the moment i've found only the uranium mining one which bulldoze forests, and destroy the environment.

Drachmaland
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Drachmaland » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:47 am

Wiking Nordland wrote:I'm still searching an issue that boosts Timber industry without breaking the environment, for the moment I've found only the uranium mining one which bulldoze forests, and destroy the environment.

Option 089.2 (the dams) has some analogous effects (timber up, environment down), as well.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?