NATION

PASSWORD

How did we go 24 pages w/o a gun control debate?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The_pantless_hero
Senator

Founded: Mar 19, 2007
Ex-Nation

Re: How did we go 24 pages w/o a gun control debate?

Postby The_pantless_hero » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:25 am

Gun Manufacturers wrote:Nice strawman.

Europe ≠ the US.

So your counterargument boils down to "pbbbbt"
Bottle wrote:Equality is a slippery slope, people, and if you give it to the gays you have to give it to the polygamists and if you give it to the polygamists you have to give it to the serial dog molesters and if you give it to the serial dog molesters you have to give it to the machine fetishists and the next thing you know you're being tied up by a trio of polygamist lesbian powerbooks and you can't get out because the safety word is case sensistive!

Doing what we must because we can

Bluth Corporation
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 15, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bluth Corporation » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:33 am

Cameroi wrote:i don't support telling anyone they can't have anything, but have no objection to being told not to buy, sell, mass produce or mass import, whatever a majority consensus wishes to.

A "majority" does not ever have any sort of morally legitimate authority to tell the individual what he may and may not "buy, sell, mass produce or import."
The Huge Mistake of Bluth Corporation
Capital: Newport Beach, Shostakovich | Starting Quarterback: Peyton Manning #18 | Company President: Michael Bluth

Champions of: World Bowl X

You should really be using Slackware

Khithali
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Khithali » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:12 pm

I am here to announce a historic first moment, somebody on NSG changing their opinion in the face of presented arguments. No Galloism, sorry, you have not converted me entirely to your cause. You're good, possibly even amazing, but this is NSG and there are limits. :p
As for the rest of you, you can get off the floor now. Those heart attacks weren't that convincing.

Anyway, to get to the point, I think this is very much a cultural decision as to where to draw the line. Everyone has a point where they think regular citizens should not be armed beyond. (Except for the crazies who advocate citizens owning nukes, but since when has NSG listened to crazies? Oh... wait... ehh... I just realised what I said. Never mind.). The decision as to where this line is is entirely cultural. As a European, the idea of having guns allowed sounds ridiculous. The opposite is true for most Americans I know. Thus, whithout being a complete outsider, it is impossible to be objective, and thus the best decision is to go with the majority's opinion in each case so as to avoid uprising. I hope this makes sense to everyone. I don't think I really explained it that well.

PS. Sorry for the post without the quotes, Galloism. I'm just new to the system and I couldn't get it to work after about 10 tries and I was tired and it was getting late... Well you get the idea. Sorry.

Gun Manufacturers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 23, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gun Manufacturers » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:02 pm

The_pantless_hero wrote:
Gun Manufacturers wrote:Nice strawman.

Europe ≠ the US.

So your counterargument boils down to "pbbbbt"

My counterargument is that the US has a long history with firearms, and that there is a culture of firearms prevalent in the US that is not prevalent in most of Europe. To say that what works in Europe WILL work in the US is dishonest (Washington DC is but one example).
Gun control is like trying to solve drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to own cars.

Any accident you can walk away from is one I can laugh at.

DOJ's interpretation of the 2nd Amendment: http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/fi ... -p0126.pdf

Natapoc wrote:...You should post more in here so I don't seem like the extremist...

Auraelius wrote:If you take the the TITANIC, and remove the letters T, T, and one of the I's, and add the letters C,O,S,P,R, and Y you get CONSPIRACY. oOooOooooOOOooooOOOOOOoooooooo

Maineiacs wrote:Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and get drunk all day.

Luw wrote:Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:41 pm

Khithali wrote:Anyway, to get to the point, I think this is very much a cultural decision as to where to draw the line. Everyone has a point where they think regular citizens should not be armed beyond. (Except for the crazies who advocate citizens owning nukes, but since when has NSG listened to crazies? Oh... wait... ehh... I just realised what I said. Never mind.). The decision as to where this line is is entirely cultural. As a European, the idea of having guns allowed sounds ridiculous. The opposite is true for most Americans I know. Thus, whithout being a complete outsider, it is impossible to be objective, and thus the best decision is to go with the majority's opinion in each case so as to avoid uprising. I hope this makes sense to everyone. I don't think I really explained it that well.

I can accept that. It's very much a cultural and situational thing, and in the culture and situation the US is in, our possession of firearms is not only overall positive, but necessary.

Khithali wrote:PS. Sorry for the post without the quotes, Galloism. I'm just new to the system and I couldn't get it to work after about 10 tries and I was tired and it was getting late... Well you get the idea. Sorry.

Don't do it again!

Nah, that's all right. I understand.

Khithali wrote:I am here to announce a historic first moment, somebody on NSG changing their opinion in the face of presented arguments. No Galloism, sorry, you have not converted me entirely to your cause. You're good, possibly even amazing, but this is NSG and there are limits. :p
As for the rest of you, you can get off the floor now. Those heart attacks weren't that convincing.

I'm taking credit anyway. 8)
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Minnas
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Minnas » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:39 pm

Galloism wrote:
Khithali wrote:Anyway, to get to the point, I think this is very much a cultural decision as to where to draw the line. Everyone has a point where they think regular citizens should not be armed beyond. (Except for the crazies who advocate citizens owning nukes, but since when has NSG listened to crazies? Oh... wait... ehh... I just realised what I said. Never mind.). The decision as to where this line is is entirely cultural. As a European, the idea of having guns allowed sounds ridiculous. The opposite is true for most Americans I know. Thus, whithout being a complete outsider, it is impossible to be objective, and thus the best decision is to go with the majority's opinion in each case so as to avoid uprising. I hope this makes sense to everyone. I don't think I really explained it that well.

I can accept that. It's very much a cultural and situational thing, and in the culture and situation the US is in, our possession of firearms is not only overall positive, but necessary.

Khithali wrote:PS. Sorry for the post without the quotes, Galloism. I'm just new to the system and I couldn't get it to work after about 10 tries and I was tired and it was getting late... Well you get the idea. Sorry.

Don't do it again!

Nah, that's all right. I understand.

Khithali wrote:I am here to announce a historic first moment, somebody on NSG changing their opinion in the face of presented arguments. No Galloism, sorry, you have not converted me entirely to your cause. You're good, possibly even amazing, but this is NSG and there are limits. :p

I'm taking credit anyway. 8)

Woopdeedoo for you! :clap:
Take your time to trust in me,
and you will find
Infinity...

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:51 pm

Minnas wrote: :clap:

Thank ya, thank ya. I'll be here all week.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

The Cat-Tribe
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Cat-Tribe » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:21 pm

Indri wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:Yeah, we wouldn't want to blame the Randroid that raised the issues of taxes, slavery, and the nature of humanity. I mean, we aren't actually supposed to argue here.

I've had about enough of your smug condescension and ideological epithets. You want to argue? That's fine. Just keep it on topic and don't flame other posters. If you want to vent your frustration(s) with regard to objectivism there is a time and place and while this is the perfect time it isn't quite the place.

Remember, you wouldn't call a commie disparaging names for their beliefs. It's not asking for a lot that followers of objectivism be given the same respect.

:hug:

I love you too, you big cuddly hypocrite.

But I'll stop talking about the actual Second Amendment and relevant Supreme Court decisions concerning gun control, because that is too condescending, ideological, flaming, and off-topic. Oh, wait, it isn't.

If Bluth Corporation or any other poster wants to argue that the right to bear arms is an absolute right, they are free to do so. But unless they MAKE AN ACTUAL ARGUMENT rather than just spout dogmatic phrases, they deserve neither respect nor serious treatment.
I quit (again).
The Altani Confederacy wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:With that, I am done with these shenanigans. Do as thou wilt.

Can't miss you until you're gone, Ambassador. Seriously, your delegation is like one of those stores that has a "Going Out Of Business" sale for twenty years. Stay or go, already.*snip*
"Don't give me no shit because . . . I've been Tired . . ." ~ Pixies
With that, "he put his boots on, he took a face from the Ancient Gallery, and he walked on down the Hall . . ."

Bluth Corporation
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 15, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bluth Corporation » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:57 pm

The Cat-Tribe wrote:If Bluth Corporation or any other poster wants to argue that the right to bear arms is an absolute right, they are free to do so. But unless they MAKE AN ACTUAL ARGUMENT

I have. That you incorrectly choose to deny it is not my failure.

The Second Amendment is not relevant since it is not the source of our right to arm ourselves, and Supreme Court decisions are not relevant because the Gang of Nine is not the arbiter of our rights.
The Huge Mistake of Bluth Corporation
Capital: Newport Beach, Shostakovich | Starting Quarterback: Peyton Manning #18 | Company President: Michael Bluth

Champions of: World Bowl X

You should really be using Slackware

Indri
Secretary

Founded: Aug 14, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Indri » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:45 am

Bluth Corporation wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:The Second Amendment is not relevant since it is not the source of our right to arm ourselves, and Supreme Court decisions are not relevant because the Gang of Nine is not the arbiter of our rights.

Indeed. The constitution isn't there to grant rights, it's there to protect them.

Intestinal fluids
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 18, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Intestinal fluids » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:06 am

This is why guns are a beautiful thing.

Armed Maine woman, 77, teaches intruder a lesson

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_odd_armed_mother

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:28 am

#HyperEarthBestEarth

Sometimes, there really is money on the sidewalk.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General