NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Repeal Protection Of Monuments

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:21 am

Philimbesi wrote: Further we believe that it's impractical to feel that a WA resolution is going to stop an aggressive nation from attacking or destroying a nations monuments when they've already proven that they don't not honor their sovereignty in the first place.

Lord Brikkel looked up from his crossword book, and suddenly burst into quiet giggles. Leaning over towards his assistant, Murray, he quietly said, "Just had a sudden image pop into my head of the commanding general of an invading army stand up in his vehicle shouting 'STOP! Call off the attack! There's an old guy up ahead in a tweed jacket waving a piece of paper at us that says WA Resolution on it. Turn the troops around and lets go home!"

Murray, busy with the morning reports, looked up as his boss said that, "Of course, My Lord. How droll. Amazing wit you have there."

Murray sometimes suffered from an appalling lack of a sense of humour, but that was an infliction affecting many diplomatic envoys from every nation.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Enn
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Enn » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:23 am

Grays Harbor wrote:
Gobbannium wrote:We would like to congratulate the authors on a fine piece of work, and look forward to no longer having to designate the inhabitants of our fully utilised royal palaces as "The Official Squatters."

We do not know how you do things in your country, but our Royals are never referred to as "squatters".

His Majesty prefers "Undocumented Resident". :p

Lady Faren's just glad her own, private residence isn't considered old enough (yet). The other two triumvirs, however, are somewhat miffed at having to carry round cards stating that they are absolutely not living in the Palace of the Triumvirate, despite what appearances might otherwise suggest.
I know what gay science is.
Reploid Productions wrote:The World Assembly as a whole terrifies me!
Pythagosaurus wrote:You are seriously deluded about the technical competence of the average human.

Philimbesi
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:24 am

We are pleased to announce to the WAMAC that President Bartlet has signed off on the list of Philimbesian monuments that should be added to the register. The list has been sent by WhereTheHeckAreWeGoing couriers as the WA Gnome sent to retrieve the list has unexpectedly disappeared.

WhereTheHeckAreWeGoing couriers who's motto is "When It Absolutely Positively Has To Be... Somewhere... Eventually" is the official carrier of documents we don't want to get there on time. We're certain the documents will arrive.

In other news we are officially warning the goverments of the world that the closet nearest where the WA Gnome was standing has suddenly become haunted... the ghost is prone to banging on the door and screeching "Let me out!" We certainly have no idea how it got there...
Last edited by Philimbesi on Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Unified States Of Philimbesi
The Honorable Josiah Bartlett - President

Ideological Bulwark #235

Qumkent
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Qumkent » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:29 am

Enn wrote:
Grays Harbor wrote:
Gobbannium wrote:We would like to congratulate the authors on a fine piece of work, and look forward to no longer having to designate the inhabitants of our fully utilised royal palaces as "The Official Squatters."

We do not know how you do things in your country, but our Royals are never referred to as "squatters".

His Majesty prefers "Undocumented Resident". :p

Lady Faren's just glad her own, private residence isn't considered old enough (yet). The other two triumvirs, however, are somewhat miffed at having to carry round cards stating that they are absolutely not living in the Palace of the Triumvirate, despite what appearances might otherwise suggest.

In fairness to the statute facing repeal, it's wording allowed for governments to not put buildings of national importance forward for recognition by the orgainsation the statute legally created, in fact different emphasis on different aspects of the statute made it impossible to see how the statute could have been implemented since it was so internally contradictory.

We would have been most vociferous indeed had the Principality been forced to place the Palace of the Princes of Qumkent ( a 1400 year old spectacle of architectural magnificence ) in to public administration and care, but since the statute actually forced no such outcome we felt no need to oppose it on those grounds.

Yours,
Mongkha, Khan of Kashgar, Ambassador to the World Assembly for the Autonomous Principality of Qumkent, a constituent state of the Confederated Sublime Khanate of Urgench

Learn more about the CSKU here - http://www.nswiki.net/index.php?title=Urgench

Pardo48
Civilian

Founded: Oct 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pardo48 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:40 am

why should we repeal this act?Leave it as it is.Change can always be better!Vote yes for this issue if we dont would we regret it I think so.Stand up and make a change.

Philimbesi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:50 am

Nigel glanced over at the USP translator Max, Max looked back and blinked. Nigel stood up. "Thank you for your... support?"
Last edited by Philimbesi on Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ideological Bulwark #235

Acentinia
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Acentinia » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:09 am

::a black-robed figure with a heavy metallic black mask concealing his face from the assembly arose to the podium in a nearly empty chamber, and spoke thus ::

"Adeadeai! (May your death be honorable!)"
::a pause::

"I, a Servant of the Inner Spheres, Zhe of the Drak'Taernok, vote to repeal the Protection of Monuments Act on the behalf of the Confederacy, yet posit the following reservation:

The Arbiters of the Inner Spheres do not believe that any international codification is required to protect national monuments. This is the right of sovereign states and sovereign peoples. The Arbiters appeal to the respected ambassadors of Grey's Harbor and Philimbesi to consider creating a voluntary international fund dedicated to the restoration and protection of historical or cultural heritage sites, and to repeal any compulsive measure aimed at meaningless conformity.

The Confederacy of the Acentine-Xaanascin Inner Spheres pledges its support toward a voluntary association dedicated to the restoration and protection of said sites, in accordance with the principles of our ancestors.

Adeadeai!"

::and with that, Zhe promptly withdrew. Two smartly dressed Acentinian attendants remained::

New Olwe
Minister

Founded: Aug 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Olwe » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:21 am

Acentinia wrote:The Arbiters of the Inner Spheres do not believe that any international codification is required to protect national monuments. This is the right of sovereign states and sovereign peoples. The Arbiters appeal to the respected ambassadors of Grey's Harbor and Philimbesi to consider creating a voluntary international fund dedicated to the restoration and protection of historical or cultural heritage sites, and to repeal any compulsive measure aimed at meaningless conformity.

New Olwe would be interested in contributing to such a fund, as long as Philimbesi would allow it. Since torture is the only issue on which we appear to disagree with them, I see no reason why we shouldn't forgive each other for our argument over that issue in the interest of collaborating on something more important.

Alyssa Locke, Olwean Ambassador to the WA
Magic-using nation here! I don't RP in MT.
I seem to have forgotten to post the part where my ambassador informs New Olwe's representative that we will help. I'll do that later, I hope. - Fortareata
Start an Embassy in New Olwe!

Philimbesi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:38 am

The Arbiters appeal to the respected ambassadors of Grey's Harbor and Philimbesi to consider creating a voluntary international fund dedicated to the restoration and protection of historical or cultural heritage sites, and to repeal any compulsive measure aimed at meaningless conformity.

Unimpressed by the show Nigel rises.

"I'm not in the habit of speaking for my esteemed colleague from Grays Harbor but I feel comfortable saying that as the ambassador from Grays Harbor and myself are not in the habit of creating illegal resolutions and as all resolutions that are passed are mandatory in nature, and a voluntary international fund would not be possible, Philimbesi will sit this one out."

"However," Nigel said grabbing a jar that Max the translator has just scribbled the words 'volantary inernationl fund' onto and placing it on the table "We are ready to accept donations from ambassadors to place their monuments on our own Philimbesi protection list and you have my solemn vow as a non member of our military that we will not think twice about attacking them should the need arise."

Ideological Bulwark #235

The Palentine
Diplomat

Founded: May 18, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Palentine » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:48 am

Philimbesi wrote:"However," Nigel said grabbing a jar that Max the translator has just scribbled the words 'volentary international fund' onto and placing it on the table "We are ready to accept donations from ambassadors to place their monuments on our own Philimbesi protection list and you have my solemn vow as a non member of our military that we will not think twice about attacking them should the need arise."

The good but unwholesome Senator Sulla looked over at the Philibesi delegation and snorted derisively,
"Amateurs!", he said. :p
"There aren't quite as many irredeemable folks as everyone thinks."
-The Dourian Embassy

"Yeah, but some (like Sen. Sulla) have to count for, like 20 or 30 all by themselves."
-Hack

Philimbesi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:56 am

"Amateurs!", he said.

Nigel smiled not even glancing at the good but unwholesome Senator Sulla, "Learned it from watching you alright... I learned it from watching you!" then sat down.

Ideological Bulwark #235

Philimbesi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:57 am

Since torture is the only issue on which we appear to disagree with them, I see no reason why we shouldn't forgive each other for our argument over that issue in the interest of collaborating on something more important.

Ambassador Locke, putting aside your inclination that preserving some old buildings is more important than allowing nations to freely beat, drug, and abuse citizens on what could easily be a trumped up charge. We regret to say that while we do agree on some other issues and we mean no ill will toward your nation in particular, it is simply impossible for use to collaborate on anything while you hold the stance you hold on torture.

Nigel S Youlkin
WA Ambassador USP

Ideological Bulwark #235

Acentinia
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Acentinia » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:28 am

The two remaining Acentinians watched the display passively. After a brief pause in which they conferred amongst themselves as to the proper translation, one leaned forward against the microphone, breathing heavily against it as he spoke.

"We restate the Acentinian position that law is a tool of last resort; the use of law is a predecessor to future conflict, not an impediment to it; and that voluntary association and private property rights on this matter are, given the historical perspective of the Five Inner Spheres, more successful in achieving the stated objectives of the legislation that the letter of the law written by..."

A translation error occurs, as the word used is extremely vague and amorphous. It is finally translated as something akin to :

"...'his Omnipotency.' Furthermore, the Rhyfwheldar restate Acintinian support of this resolution, though acknowledging its limitations and urging a further considerations of alternatives..."

A pause as they again confer.

"The Rhyfwheldar thank Philimbesi for their generous offer of a chamber pot. We, however, prefer modern amenities. Adeadeai."

The Acintinian leans back in his seat and winks at Nigel.

Tesshoru
Political Columnist

Founded: Aug 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tesshoru » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:50 pm

Tesshoru's delegate, having watched throughout the debate decided to stand and began speaking:

"Well, Tesshoru has decided to vote against this repeal. It's not that we find it to be displeasurable, but repealing a slightly wrong law is smashing a completely fixable thing to little pieces. Until another, less compulsory, resolution is made, our stance will remain against this issue. Otherwise, who's to keep any culture in this skyscraping wasteland. We do hope that another protective resolution is made rather quickly, seeing as the old one is probable to be repealed, which, I repeat, is over-jumping the hurdle."

The delegate sits down, decrumpling his tie and maintaining a calm demeanor.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:26 pm

Tesshoru wrote:Tesshoru's delegate, having watched throughout the debate decided to stand and began speaking:

"Well, Tesshoru has decided to vote against this repeal. It's not that we find it to be displeasurable, but repealing a slightly wrong law is smashing a completely fixable thing to little pieces. Until another, less compulsory, resolution is made, our stance will remain against this issue. Otherwise, who's to keep any culture in this skyscraping wasteland. We do hope that another protective resolution is made rather quickly, seeing as the old one is probable to be repealed, which, I repeat, is over-jumping the hurdle."

Lord Brikkel stands, to ask a question of the Ambassador:
"Rydym yn chwilfrydig â pam rydych yn credu ei fod yn angenrheidiol ar gyfer y WA i mandad ac yn gofyn i bob cenedl beth sydd a beth sydd ddim yn cofeb? Rydym hefyd yn chwilfrydig lle rydych yn caffael y syniad bod penderfyniadau yn cael eu 'fixable'? Nid ydynt yn, syr rhaid, nad ydynt yn. Un yn cael ei diddymu cyn i'r llall yn cael ei gyhoeddi, a gan dybio bod yn un newydd yn cael ei angen hyd yn oed. chi hefyd ofyn pwy sydd i gadw unrhyw diwylliant? Beth am y llywodraeth a dinasyddion o bob cenedl? Pam ydych chi'n yn credu bod perchnogaeth llywodraeth orfodol o'r holl henebion a lleoedd hanesyddol sydd ei angen?"

WA Auto-Translation Device
"We are curious as to why you believe it neccessary for the WA to mandate and dictate to each nation what is and what is not a monument? We are also curious where you acquired the notion that resolutions are 'fixable'? They are not, Sir, they are not. One must be repealed prior to another being issued, and that is supposing a new one is even required. You also ask who is to keep any culture? How about the government and citizens of each nation? Why do you believe that mandatory government ownership of all monuments and historical places is required?"
Last edited by Grays Harbor on Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Not Ta'veren

Qumkent
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Qumkent » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:15 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:
Tesshoru wrote:Tesshoru's delegate, having watched throughout the debate decided to stand and began speaking:

Lord Brikkel stands, to ask a question of the Ambassador:
"Rydym yn chwilfrydig â pam rydych yn credu ei fod yn angenrheidiol ar gyfer y WA i mandad ac yn gofyn i bob cenedl beth sydd a beth sydd ddim yn cofeb? Rydym hefyd yn chwilfrydig lle rydych yn caffael y syniad bod penderfyniadau yn cael eu 'fixable'? Nid ydynt yn, syr rhaid, nad ydynt yn. Un yn cael ei diddymu cyn i'r llall yn cael ei gyhoeddi, a gan dybio bod yn un newydd yn cael ei angen hyd yn oed. chi hefyd ofyn pwy sydd i gadw unrhyw diwylliant? Beth am y llywodraeth a dinasyddion o bob cenedl? Pam ydych chi'n yn credu bod perchnogaeth llywodraeth orfodol o'r holl henebion a lleoedd hanesyddol sydd ei angen?"

WA Auto-Translation Device
"We are curious as to why you believe it neccessary for the WA to mandate and dictate to each nation what is and what is not a monument? We are also curious where you acquired the notion that resolutions are 'fixable'? They are not, Sir, they are not. One must be repealed prior to another being issued, and that is supposing a new one is even required. You also ask who is to keep any culture? How about the government and citizens of each nation? Why do you believe that mandatory government ownership of all monuments and historical places is required?"

OOC, Now that's impressive, Welsh is such a lovely language :)
Mongkha, Khan of Kashgar, Ambassador to the World Assembly for the Autonomous Principality of Qumkent, a constituent state of the Confederated Sublime Khanate of Urgench

Learn more about the CSKU here - http://www.nswiki.net/index.php?title=Urgench

Tesshoru
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Tesshoru » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:17 pm

The delegate/ambassador (I don't know, I'm confused now) stands up and replies after carefully listening to the translator:

"Ah, well, it was a poor choice of words... By repair, we mean, do you have another resolution prepared right at this moment for a replacement? If that were so, then that would be "repairing" in our book. If a replacement is pointed out to us, we will gladly withdraw our vote and reconsider. Thanks for pointing out our lack in explanation."

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:42 pm

"Fel y nodwyd dro ar ôl tro, y rhai sy'n noddi yn cael eu diddymu o dan unrhyw rwymedigaeth i ddarparu datrys newydd, yn enwedig pan fydd y noddwyr anghytuno â'r paramedrau o ddatrys yn cael ei diddymu. Rydym yn ddryslyd â pam ein bod yn gofyn yn barhaus wrth byddwn yn ysgrifennu newydd. amnewid yn unig y byddai fy llywodraeth yn cynnig y byddai yn cael ei ailadrodd yr un hawliau o bob cenedl i reoli eu hanes eu hunain. Mae drafft cynnig tebyg sy'n cael bounced o gwmpas ar hyn o bryd a allai weddu i'ch anghenion, fodd bynnag, nid ydym yn credu newydd datrys angen."

WA Translation service:
"As has been stated repeatedly, those who sponsor a repeal are under no obligation to provide a replacement resolution, particularly when the sponsors disagree with the parameters of the resolution being repealed. We are confused as to why we are continuously asked when we shall be writing a replacement. The only replacement my government would propose would be one reaffirming the rights of each nation to control their own history. There is a similar proposal draft being bounced around currently which may suit your needs, however, we do not believe a new resolution is required."

Cultural Heritage Protection by Bergnovinaia

Not Ta'veren

Tesshoru
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Tesshoru » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:18 pm

"We, of Tesshoru, are not expecting a rewrite, but if one is made, we will vote for the repeal. However, since time appears to be nearly done, it doesn't much matter anymore."

Tiny plaidville
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 31, 2009
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tiny plaidville » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:26 am

Mod Edit: Removed offensive picture.
1. Please don't post pic spam.
2. When you DO post a pic, remember to host it on your own account.

~NS Mod Team
Last edited by NERVUN on Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Philimbesi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:47 am

"We, of Tesshoru, are not expecting a rewrite, but if one is made, we will vote for the repeal.

We appologize that we do not follow the a bad law is better than no law ideology of the Tesshoru. Our nation protects our monuments though the work of our National Parks Division, we don't need the WA to tell us how to do it.

Ideological Bulwark #235

Gobbannium
Envoy

Founded: Jan 10, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Gobbannium » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:23 am

The General Assembly resolution Repeal "Protection of monuments" was passed 3,902 votes to 2,291.

We would like to congratulate the authors on a fine effort. It is exceedingly rare for repeals submitted so instantly to succeed, and they should be proud to join the select ranks of authors capable of such a feat.
Prince Rhodri of Segontium, Master of the Red Hounds, etc, etc.
Ambassador to the World Assembly of the Principalities of Gobbannium

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:29 am

Gobby wrote:It is exceedingly rare for repeals submitted so instantly to succeed...

Actually, instant repeals are notorious for their disproportionate success rate. ;)
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:42 am

Lord Brikkel strode over to the Phlimbesi Ambassador, bottle of champagne and a pair of glasses in his hands, "Ymuno â mi i gwydr, byddwch?", He began, then thought for a moment, "I apologize. I forget not everybody speaks our language." He said, smiling, "Join me in a glass, will you? To celebrate a successful campaign?"

OOC - Sorry for the unseemly celebration. In nearly 7 years of playing this game, this is my 1st successfull resolution.

Not Ta'veren

Philimbesi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:46 am

Thank you ambassadors for your support in getting this bothersome legislation repealed, and thank you to my esteemed colleague from Gray Harbor for your collaboration. I hope that this signals a long lasting friendship between our nations.

oh and a bit of business.
To: WA Management
From Philimbesi WA Mission.

It appears as though one of your compliance gnomes was trapped in a closet in our Presidential Compound, we have no idea how he got in there nor any clue how he became trapped. We estimate it was right after the presently repealed resolution was passed.

We've fed him, cleaned him up as best as one can clean up a compliance gnome and released him forthwith. He should be returning any minute now. Thank you.

Ideological Bulwark #235

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives