NATION

PASSWORD

The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Thoughts on the series finale of Korra?

Bad
7%
Mediocre
14%
Good
6%
Great
33%
Excellent
40%

Total votes : 70

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra Thread

Postby Mavorpen » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:43 am

Last edited by Mavorpen on Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:47 pm, edited 27 times in total.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:36 am

I'm greatly looking forward to this series.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:39 am

Genivaria wrote:I'm greatly looking forward to this series.

I'm currently watching the first episode. Pretty good so far. The great comedy is still there as well thankfully!
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Aeyariss
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 26, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Aeyariss » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:48 am

looking forward to it!

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:51 am

"Gran Gran I've been reading all about your old adventures, I've been dying to ask you, what happened to Zuko's mom?"\
Katara: "Well Danora it's an incredible ta-*is interrupted*
DAMNIT STOP TOYING WITH US!

Retro Lyra
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 28, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Retro Lyra » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:52 am

The art style seems to be somewhat the same, but they can never live up to the Last Airbender. I'll give it a chance, though.
The IC name is Rlyra.

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:
Retro Lyra wrote:So, does this mean that since I'm white and my boyfriend is spanish he's going to rob all my money from me, scream "Hasta la vista!", and drive off into the sunset in a stolen car? Good to know.

Any time now, Lyra. Any time. Watch your car keys.

And your weed stash.

And your bedroom door. Chances are, he'll rape you first, the Genocidal Bastard.

Equestrian States wrote:Retro Lyra is actually an all-female corporation of puppet-manufacturers.

Inkarzikan
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Inkarzikan » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:52 am

Oh my god, I was a teenager when I watched it, but even I, who hates cartoons, got hooked on A:LA. I cannot wait for this!
The Union of Inkartsch Monarchist Kingdoms

Inkartschland, Demonym Inkartsch

F7ly, Ink talks with an English accent, and Willy with a Scottish.
F7ly married to Naka
Daemonheart-Brother
CC-Sibling
Aure-Sister
Menassa-Brother
Eli-Brother
Rebby-Sister
Dor- Broter
Tet-Broter.
Stat-Sister
LR-Sista'

February 17, 2011: Never Forget.

[spoiler=Quotes]

Lackadaisical2 wrote:
Gidgetisms wrote:Hahahaaha Lacky's a grandma!

I am?

Just goes to show my milkshake brings all the boys to the yard.

Biernackia wrote:
Jordsindia wrote:I know, it's America's penis.

Does it mean Florida will be bigger when america gets an erection?

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:53 am

Genivaria wrote:"Gran Gran I've been reading all about your old adventures, I've been dying to ask you, what happened to Zuko's mom?"\

Especially since they KNOW that it's the most asked question.

Retro Lyra
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 28, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Retro Lyra » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:53 am

Genivaria wrote:"Gran Gran I've been reading all about your old adventures, I've been dying to ask you, what happened to Zuko's mom?"\

They do this? That's annoying! I always wanted to know what happened...
The IC name is Rlyra.

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:
Retro Lyra wrote:So, does this mean that since I'm white and my boyfriend is spanish he's going to rob all my money from me, scream "Hasta la vista!", and drive off into the sunset in a stolen car? Good to know.

Any time now, Lyra. Any time. Watch your car keys.

And your weed stash.

And your bedroom door. Chances are, he'll rape you first, the Genocidal Bastard.

Equestrian States wrote:Retro Lyra is actually an all-female corporation of puppet-manufacturers.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:55 am

Retro Lyra wrote:

Hopefully they tell us eventually. I can't imagine them never telling us.

Triodard and Florard
Envoy

Founded: Dec 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Triodard and Florard » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:57 am

Well, I don't get Nick, but I'm looking forward to this possibly being on Netflix in the future. I was 14 when I watched the original series, and my dad thought my brain was going to melt. :lol:

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:57 am

I saw the first two episodes last week when the creators, caving in to popular demand, released them on Korranation.com. They were pretty good. I was pleased with the level of continuity they kept with the last series, and how well it mimics it while still being its own show.

Now the plot is this: Korra, the new Airbender,1 a teenage girl from the Southern Water Tribe... ...it seems that Korra uses firebending a lot, which is strange because she's a natural waterbender.2

1: She's the new Avatar, not the new Airbender. Just a clarification.
2: Yeah, I found that odd at first too, but then I considered that in the first series, Aang was taught Airbending throughout his childhood; Korra was taught them all, and thus didn't gravitate towards Waterbending but rather all three elements, sticking closer to fire likely.

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:59 am

Retro Lyra wrote:

Well, since its obvious now we have an answer, they'll likely toy with it a bit more then make an anti-climatic, blink-and-you'll-miss-it reveal later.

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Aeyariss
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 26, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Aeyariss » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:59 am

Funny, Aang's son probably the last of the air bender if he doesn't have any other children. If the air benders really went extinct - there would be no more avatars.

Zonolia
Senator

Founded: Jan 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Zonolia » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:00 am

I can't wait till ep. 3 and I love the idea of a Steampunk city...only thing is...the 'Equalists' seem (ok not sure if my politically corrupted mind or whatnot) like 'Communists' per se wanting equality and the end to an oppressive 'ruling' class who they see as evil...I don't know but in all honesty, long live the Equalists' Movement...
Hell hath no fury like a mod scorned.
Kim Berloni-
President of Zonolia.
Population (Homeland+Colonies-As of 03/14/2014): 19,874,000,000
Current Year: 2014
Territories:
(Jikilo Brothers Incorporated)
S Islands Archipelago
Commonwealths:
Cubanonoa
The Island of Gu
Proud Progressive!
Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -5.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.49

All Hail Emperor Palpatine, Savior of the Republic and Valiant Destroyer of the Anti-Establishment Jedi Order!

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:01 am

Ceannairceach wrote:I saw the first two episodes last week when the creators, caving in to popular demand, released them on Korranation.com. They were pretty good. I was pleased with the level of continuity they kept with the last series, and how well it mimics it while still being its own show.

Now the plot is this: Korra, the new Airbender,1 a teenage girl from the Southern Water Tribe... ...it seems that Korra uses firebending a lot, which is strange because she's a natural waterbender.2

2: Yeah, I found that odd at first too, but then I considered that in the first series, Aang was taught Airbending throughout his childhood; Korra was taught them all, and thus didn't gravitate towards Waterbending but rather all three elements, sticking closer to fire likely.

Sorry, I fixed number one. As for number two, Tenzin explained that the Avatar has the greatest difficulty learning the element that's opposite of their personality. I think this goes both ways with their EASIEST to use element. The element in tune with their personality is the easiest for them to learn and use. Korra is fiery and hot headed (no pun intended), so I guess it makes sense that firebending would be easier for her, thus explaining why she uses it so often. I dunno, just a theory.

Zonolia
Senator

Founded: Jan 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Zonolia » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:01 am

Aeyariss wrote:Funny, Aang's son probably the last of the air bender if he doesn't have any other children. If the air benders really went extinct - there would be no more avatars.

Aang's son has about 3-4 kids all airbender and another on the way.
Hell hath no fury like a mod scorned.
Kim Berloni-
President of Zonolia.
Population (Homeland+Colonies-As of 03/14/2014): 19,874,000,000
Current Year: 2014
Territories:
(Jikilo Brothers Incorporated)
S Islands Archipelago
Commonwealths:
Cubanonoa
The Island of Gu
Proud Progressive!
Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -5.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.49

All Hail Emperor Palpatine, Savior of the Republic and Valiant Destroyer of the Anti-Establishment Jedi Order!

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:03 am

Aeyariss wrote:Funny, Aang's son probably the last of the air bender if he doesn't have any other children. If the air benders really went extinct - there would be no more avatars.

Aang's son has three children, all Airbenders, and another on the way, likely another Airbender. This is explained because he chose a non-bending wife. And in the new Airbending Temple(AKA Aang's son's house) there are dozens of people wearing the clothes, but so far, we don't know if they can Airbend. We also don't know the bending abilities of Aang's two other children, named but not seen.

This said, there are many theories on this. Some theorize that, since the original Airbenders learned from skybison in myth, the newly discovered colony of them could teach new ranks in the coming decades. Others say that the Spirit World will force new people to be born with Airbending abilities to keep the cycles going. Others theorize that Tetzin, Aang's son, will have to bang a LOT of people before he dies.
Last edited by Ceannairceach on Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

@}-;-'---

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:05 am

Zonolia wrote:I can't wait till ep. 3 and I love the idea of a Steampunk city...only thing is...the 'Equalists' seem (ok not sure if my politically corrupted mind or whatnot) like 'Communists' per se wanting equality and the end to an oppressive 'ruling' class who they see as evil...I don't know but in all honesty, long live the Equalists' Movement...

Not equality of opportunity and wealth and whatnot, but equality of ability. They think benders are oppressive maniacs all who use their unfair, birth-given advantages to lord over the common population.

And they may be right, but as you saw, a lot of extremists exist, as proven when Korra was verbally assaulted merely for being a bender and challenging their beliefs.

@}-;-'---

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:08 am

Mavorpen wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:I saw the first two episodes last week when the creators, caving in to popular demand, released them on Korranation.com. They were pretty good. I was pleased with the level of continuity they kept with the last series, and how well it mimics it while still being its own show.

Sorry, I fixed number one. As for number two, Tenzin explained that the Avatar has the greatest difficulty learning the element that's opposite of their personality. I think this goes both ways with their EASIEST to use element. The element in tune with their personality is the easiest for them to learn and use. Korra is fiery and hot headed (no pun intended), so I guess it makes sense that firebending would be easier for her, thus explaining why she uses it so often. I dunno, just a theory.

That's pretty much canon. As you may recall from the first series, Aang was shit at learning Earthbending because it was so contrary to everything he learned about bending before hand; The fluidity of Waterbending, the easy nature of Airbending, even his brief encounter with Firebending taught him more about relaxation, all of which fit his personality perfectly. The rock hard determination and will of Earthbending... Not so much.
Last edited by Ceannairceach on Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

@}-;-'---

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:10 am

Toph's daughter is so cool!

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:11 am

Ceannairceach wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:

That's pretty much canon. As you may recall from the first series, Aang was shit at learning Earthbending because it was so contrary to everything he learned about bending before hand; The fluidity of Waterbending, the easy nature of Airbending, even his brief encounter with Firebending taught him more about relaxation, all of which fit his personality perfectly. The rock hard determination and will of Earthbending... Not so much.

Yeah, but I think the original series explained it differently. I think Katara guessed that the element opposite YOUR natural bending element is the most difficult, which confused me because I wondered why Korra has trouble with Airbending and not firebending, which is the element opposite of hers. But yeah, Tenzin's explanation works better.

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:12 am

Genivaria wrote:Toph's daughter is so cool!

Yeah, but she isn't like Toph that much.

One of my favorite scenes is when she gives the "I'm watching you" hand motion to Korra, and when Korra gives it back, she's like "What the fuck was that?!"

@}-;-'---

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:12 am

Genivaria wrote:Toph's daughter is so cool!

Yep! I'm wondering if Toph taught her metalbending and she passed the skill on to others, or if Toph trained other earthbenders directly.

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:13 am

Mavorpen wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:That's pretty much canon. As you may recall from the first series, Aang was shit at learning Earthbending because it was so contrary to everything he learned about bending before hand; The fluidity of Waterbending, the easy nature of Airbending, even his brief encounter with Firebending taught him more about relaxation, all of which fit his personality perfectly. The rock hard determination and will of Earthbending... Not so much.

Yeah, but I think the original series explained it differently. I think Katara guessed that the element opposite YOUR natural bending element is the most difficult, which confused me because I wondered why Korra has trouble with Airbending and not firebending, which is the element opposite of hers. But yeah, Tenzin's explanation works better.

Eh, I took Katara's explanation to be a simplification from an untrained source. Not entirely wrong because Earthbending is the opposite of Airbending, and since Aang is an Airbender through and through she guessed it right, but Tenzin I trust as a person who's probably been training to train the Avatar for years.

@}-;-'---

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction