NATION

PASSWORD

Reppy's Sig Workshop - A guide to building forum sigs

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2004
Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:37 pm

Both of yours are under the 8 line limit.
ShazWeb || IIWiki || Discord: shazbertbot || 1 x NFL Picks League Champion (2021)
CosmoCast || SISA || CCD || CrawDaddy || SCIA || COPEC || Boudreaux's || CLS || SNC || ShazAir || BHC || TWO
NHL: NYR (114) 0 - 0 WSH (91) | COL (105) 0 - 0 WPG (110) | VGK (96) 0 - 0 DAL (113)
NBA: Pelicans (6) 49-33 || NCAA MBB: Tulane 20-16 | LSU 22-15 || NCAA WSB: LSU 33-8

Shanix
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 07, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Shanix » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:05 pm

Maravannea wrote:Would my sig here be okay?

That's either on the line or crossing it on my screen.

Shinjitai wrote:Is my sig okayy?

Yours is fine.
Just know when it's real and when it isn't.

Lauruccia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Lauruccia » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:49 am

I was just going to change that :rofl: :rofl:

Krala Sau
Envoy

Founded: Jan 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Krala Sau » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:46 am

Looking through this, it looks like my Sig needs some work.

Although, I haven't had any complaints about it yet...

Is it fine how it is?
San Leggera wrote:There's no black and white. Only grey.

A dying man needs to die, as a sleepy man needs to sleep, and there comes a time when it is wrong, as well as useless, to resist.
-Stewart Alsop
Left/Right: -5.75
Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.62
Can you think inside a chimney?
National Factbook (WIP)
DEFCON 5
High Select David
Lower Select Warren
People's Few: Jarl James, Jarl Benjamin, Jarl George, Jarl Martin, Jarl Puddinghead
Jormengand wrote:Ko'ra'la Si'oh, meaning water snake girl's light.

1000 Cats wrote:Kráhíyas:sù - The First Bird Cries.

Haydn wrote:Krala Sau means 'Warrior' in Haydanian. (Richin Tau)

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2004
Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:40 am

Krala Sau wrote:Looking through this, it looks like my Sig needs some work.

Is it fine how it is?

There's a bit of negative space, but otherwise it looks like it falls under the 8 line limit. At least on my 1024x768 Netbook. although for some of that information, you could place it in a National Factbook in the FaNI Section.
Last edited by Shazbotdom on Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShazWeb || IIWiki || Discord: shazbertbot || 1 x NFL Picks League Champion (2021)
CosmoCast || SISA || CCD || CrawDaddy || SCIA || COPEC || Boudreaux's || CLS || SNC || ShazAir || BHC || TWO
NHL: NYR (114) 0 - 0 WSH (91) | COL (105) 0 - 0 WPG (110) | VGK (96) 0 - 0 DAL (113)
NBA: Pelicans (6) 49-33 || NCAA MBB: Tulane 20-16 | LSU 22-15 || NCAA WSB: LSU 33-8

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:57 am

Is it fine how it is?

Like said by others, you have negative space. If you're uncertain as to how to fix that, post your sig here (presuming that you want it to be fixed), between CODE tags, and I'm sure that there are many of us here that would be happy to assist with coding, if needed.
Last edited by Mousebumples on Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Jormengand
Powerbroker

Founded: May 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Jormengand » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:03 am

Is it fine how it is?

*jumps on negative space bandwagon*

But your sig is awesome, it has me in!
Jormengand wrote:It would be really meta if I sigged this.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:08 am

Jormengand wrote:*jumps on negative space bandwagon*

But your sig is awesome, it has me in!

Quit spamming in Moderation.

Krala Sau
Envoy

Founded: Jan 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Krala Sau » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:50 pm

Alrighty, here it is:

Code: Select all
Can [i]you[/i] think inside a chimney?[floatright][spoiler=Current Government]High Select David
Lower Select Warren
People's Few: Jarl James, Jarl Benjamin, Jarl George, Jarl Martin, Jarl Puddinghead[/spoiler][/floatright]
[url=http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=163434]National Factbook (WIP)[/url]
[spoiler=Quotes][quote="San Leggera";p="8053156"]There's no black and white. Only grey.[/quote]
A dying man needs to die, as a sleepy man needs to sleep, and there comes a time when it is wrong, as well as useless, to resist.
-Stewart Alsop[/spoiler][floatright][spoiler=Personal][url=http://ponysquare.com/selectfew/]PonySquare[/url][/floatright][/spoiler]
DEFCON [b][u]5[/u][/b]
[floatright]Left/Right: -5.75
Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.62[/floatright][spoiler=Alternate names of Krala Sau][quote="Jormengand";p="8296298"]
Ko'ra'la Si'oh, meaning water snake girl's light.[/quote]
[quote="1000 Cats";p="8506523"]Kráhíyas:sù - The First Bird Cries.[/quote]
[quote="Haydn";p="8523214"]Krala Sau means 'Warrior' in Haydanian. (Richin Tau)[/quote][/spoiler]

I had wanted to put the Personal tab in the middle, but it kept messing up the alignment of the Current Government tab.

-Stewart Alsop
National Factbook (WIP)
DEFCON 5
High Select David
Lower Select Warren
People's Few: Jarl James, Jarl Benjamin, Jarl George, Jarl Martin, Jarl Puddinghead

Orussia
Minister

Founded: Jan 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Orussia » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:57 pm

Aha! Finally, the thread that I've been looking for!
Since I know I'm going to be doing a lot of IC expansions, including a factbook, embassy thread, etc, what would be a good way to consolidate those down to prevent it from going of the limit, but still keeping it highly organized, and without too many spoilers?
RIP Rhoderberg
14/9/2013 - 15/8/2015
May your spirit live on in FALhalla.
The Anglo-Saxon Empire wrote:His penetrator is MASSIVE!
Talon independent nation wrote:And so missiles did come unto man, and man did see it was good, and did smite down the land battleships of his foe with totally awesome explosions.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:07 pm

Orussia wrote:Aha! Finally, the thread that I've been looking for!

Try looking at this post in the Tech Forum FAQ, and perhaps some of the posts near the end. Mousebumples has been posting some pretty advanced space management tools there.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Postby Mousebumples » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:07 pm

Krala Sau wrote:*snip*

Tip One: Do all of your "Floatright" stuff together, in one fell swoop. Having the multiple tags is part of the problem with your empty space in your sig.

Tip Two: You have the ending tags for a float & spoiler tag inverted. (i.e. you have float first to open but also first to close) Your tags align better - and coding issues are generally avoided - when you close in the opposite order that you open tags.

{quote}{spoiler}Text to go inside of the quoted spoiler tag.{/spoiler}{/quote} (obviously, the tag brackets were changed to allow for the color-coding clarity of the tag ordering)

Anyhow, here's a quick re-do of your present sig, in pretty much the same order/arrangement that you had it originally. (You also save on characters by only having one open {floatright} tag versus the 3 you originally had.)

High Select David
Lower Select Warren
National Factbook (WIP)

-Stewart Alsop
DEFCON 5

[floatright][spoiler=Current Government]High Select David
Lower Select Warren
People's Few: Jarl James, Jarl Benjamin, Jarl George, Jarl Martin, Jarl Puddinghead[/spoiler][spoiler=Personal][url=http://ponysquare.com/selectfew/]PonySquare[/url][/spoiler]Left/Right: -5.75
Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.62[/floatright]Can [i]you[/i] think inside a chimney?
[url=http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=163434]National Factbook (WIP)[/url]
[spoiler=Quotes][quote="San Leggera";p="8053156"]There's no black and white. Only grey.[/quote]
-Stewart Alsop[/spoiler]DEFCON [b][u]5[/u][/b]
[spoiler=Alternate names of Krala Sau][quote="Jormengand";p="8296298"]
[quote="Haydn";p="8523214"]Krala Sau means 'Warrior' in Haydanian. (Richin Tau)[/quote][/spoiler]

Certainly, the order of items is a matter of personal choice, but I think that the arrangement may be more logical with some swapping around of locations.

One alternative suggestion is as follows. I tried to group your "nation" stuff all on the left-hand side since (I figure) that will be the most relevant to your posts and should be the "easiest" to find. Also, grouping it together makes it simpler for another user to learn more about your nation, rather than needing to un-spoiler each of your spoiler-tags.

-Stewart Alsop
National Factbook (WIP)
DEFCON 5
High Select David
Lower Select Warren

[floatright][spoiler=Quotes][quote="San Leggera";p="8053156"]There's no black and white. Only grey.[/quote]
-Stewart Alsop[/spoiler][spoiler=Personal][url=http://ponysquare.com/selectfew/]PonySquare[/url][/spoiler]Left/Right: -5.75
Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.62[/floatright]Can [i]you[/i] think inside a chimney?
DEFCON [b][u]5[/u][/b]
[spoiler=Current Government]High Select David
Lower Select Warren
People's Few: Jarl James, Jarl Benjamin, Jarl George, Jarl Martin, Jarl Puddinghead[/spoiler][spoiler=Alternate names of Krala Sau][quote="Jormengand";p="8296298"]

Hopefully something there is helpful. :)

And, on another note, I do have some coding in the Tech FAQ, but I don't know that I have much on the float tags there. In one of the sig threads (although I think it was the other one), I covered how to combine FLOATLEFT, FLOATRIGHT, and CENTER tags to get 3 columns of information into your sig. (Provided that you're under the character limit, of course.)
Proud Member of UNOG

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Postby Mousebumples » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:23 pm

"Bumping" this thread because I figured that having an additional post with more of the coding details (combining all the float/alignment tags into one sig) may be beneficial here - for linking and easy-reference - without having to separate out those details from the sig edit suggestions I had in the previous post.

The other thread I referenced above was here in the Sig Reporting thread. The sig in question, there, had 9 spoiler tags, which can be difficult to condense into 7 or fewer lines ... unless you use the magic of FLOAT/ALIGN tags!

THIS:

is coded by THIS:
[floatleft][spoiler=1]1[/spoiler][spoiler=2]2[/spoiler][spoiler=3]3[/spoiler][/floatleft][floatright][spoiler=7]7[/spoiler][spoiler=8]8[/spoiler][spoiler=9]9[/spoiler][/floatright][align=center][spoiler=4]4[/spoiler][spoiler=5]5[/spoiler][spoiler=6]6[/spoiler][/align]

Coding recommendations for mixing and matching these codes:
  • Type/code all of your content separately for each column you want to create. Perfect each column, individually, before you add in the FLOAT/etc. tags. Due to character constraints (and to simplify coding and editing of your sig), it's simplest to do that step first and make sure it looks like you want it to. Of course, keep the row-limit of sigs in mind, but I think we all know about that by now.
  • Remove carriage returns between coding (after SPOILER or FLOAT tags) as the system will automatically insert one for you. Often "blank spaces" in sigs result from additional carriage returns. (This is also true of QUOTE and LIST tags, but that's not as relevant to sigs since most quotes tend to be spoiler-tagged.) However, it's often easier to work with your coding to perfect it if you leave extra carriage returns between your FLOAT tags initially - only removing them when you have everything else as you want it.
  • Close your tags in the opposite order in which you open them. If you're a visual person, you can code in a word processing document and perhaps add some color-coding to each type of tag to ensure that you're closing in them in the correct order. There are certainly other tricks for remembering, though, if that doesn't work for you. (For any of you that have seen forum pages go wonky, it's usually due to mixed up quote/spoiler/something code closures. Mod-fixaible, but it's simpler to not make them fix that sort of thing, right?)
  • To have everything "start" on the same line, I've found it works best to go FLOATLEFT, FLOATRIGHT, ALIGNCENTER, when using all 3 tags. When you're only doing 2 columns, you only need to code for FLOATRIGHT and just code the left-aligned column right after it - keeping the carriage return rules in mind. (I'm happy to post the code for my own sig, if that would be useful for anyone, to see how I did the 2 column format.)
  • Keep an eye on how long each line of a given column is getting. If multiple spoilers in multiple columns are open, the board will auto-adjust the allowed width. However, it may also make sense to align "longer" width items within the same column, to avoid competing columns in your sig.

Further questions, et cetera, certainly let me know. (And, yes, I am looking to add some of this to the Technical FAQ, when I next have the chance to update, so if there are certain questions that seem to be popping up more often than others, those are likely to be included.)
Last edited by Mousebumples on Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud Member of UNOG

Licentiapacisterra
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Licentiapacisterra » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:35 am

Probably a completely stupid question, but I can't find how to create my sig. :palm: Would somebody mind telling me ??
This nation has now been reformed as the Licentian Isles. Please direct anything intended for me to that nation.

Jormengand
Powerbroker

Founded: May 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Jormengand » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:37 am

Licentiapacisterra wrote:Probably a completely stupid question, but I can't find how to create my sig. :palm: Would somebody mind telling me ??

The top left corner has a link to user control panel. Then click the profile tab and the edit signature subtab.
Jormengand wrote:It would be really meta if I sigged this.

Licentiapacisterra
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Licentiapacisterra » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:40 am

Jormengand wrote:
Licentiapacisterra wrote:Probably a completely stupid question, but I can't find how to create my sig. :palm: Would somebody mind telling me ??

The top left corner has a link to user control panel. Then click the profile tab and the edit signature subtab.

Thank you very much :)
This nation has now been reformed as the Licentian Isles. Please direct anything intended for me to that nation.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:39 pm

Mousebumples wrote:"Bumping" this thread because I figured that having an additional post with more of the coding details (combining all the float/alignment tags into one sig) may be beneficial here

Mousebumples, you've underestimated the value of the float tools. You can make a clean and tight sig much more simply:

My Political Compass
<foo> +100, <antifoo> -100
Quotes
Frisbeeteria wrote:Mousebumples has been posting some pretty advanced space management tools there.
Religion In Frisbeeteria
"Frisbeeterianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets caught in the gutter." - George Carlin

Notice how all the spoilers line up nicely, even though the code has line returns in it. That's because all the starting [floatleft] tags are on the same line as the previous closing tag. Mind you, when you click the spoilers it's not quite as neat, but you can pack one hell of a lot of useless crap into your sig without annoying those of us who don't really want to see any of it.

[floatleft][spoiler=Political Compass]My Political Compass
<foo> +100, <antifoo> -100[/spoiler][/floatleft][floatleft][spoiler=Quotes]Quotes
[quote="Frisbeeteria";p="8641950"]Mousebumples has been posting some pretty advanced space management tools there.[/quote][/spoiler][/floatleft][floatleft][spoiler=Links]Links
[url=http://www.nationstates.net/page=help]Getting Help[/url][/spoiler][/floatleft][floatleft][spoiler=Religion]Religion In Frisbeeteria
"Frisbeeterianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets caught in the gutter." - [i]George Carlin[/i][/spoiler][/floatleft]

I suppose you could start a second line or use [floatright] tags to increase the amount of crap in your sig, but honestly 4-5 spoilers ought to be enough even for the most enormous ego.
Last edited by Frisbeeteria on Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Postby Mousebumples » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:34 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:
Mousebumples wrote:"Bumping" this thread because I figured that having an additional post with more of the coding details (combining all the float/alignment tags into one sig) may be beneficial here

Mousebumples, you've underestimated the value of the float tools. You can make a clean and tight sig much more simply:

*snip*

I suppose you could start a second line or use [floatright] tags to increase the amount of crap in your sig, but honestly 4-5 spoilers ought to be enough even for the most enormous ego.

I never even thought of trying to use more than one float-tag, Fris! Thanks for the info. :D

And, yes, I'd generally agree that 4-5 spoilers are probably enough, especially since there's a character limit in sigs, on top of the line limit, which is proving to be easier and easier to evade ...
Proud Member of UNOG

Merfurian
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 25, 2012
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Merfurian » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:10 am

Could someone check the coding in my sig? I want to provide a link to the GHR page - just in case anyone wants or needs to use it. I think I've mucked up the relevant coding slightly.
Issued from the Desk of the Very Honourable and Most Loyal Doctor Jonas K. Lazareedes LLD PC FJSCU FPC, FPAC(CI)ACCA Presidential Counsel
Former Justice of the Supreme Court of the Union, Former President of Appeals Chamber I of an Autonomous Court of Appeal, Most Loyal Counsellor and Advisor to the President of the Federal Republic (Member of the Federal Privy Council) Ambassador to the World Assembly
NOTE: I am gay, and I have asperger syndrome. My social skills are rubbish.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Postby Mousebumples » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:14 am

Merfurian wrote:Could someone check the coding in my sig? I want to provide a link to the GHR page - just in case anyone wants or needs to use it. I think I've mucked up the relevant coding slightly.

The "code" coding that you're using shows others how THEY can code for a GHR in their own posts/sigs.

Remove the code tags [.code][./code] - minus the periods - and that should give you a nice and neat: THIS IS THE LINK TO GHRs. USE IT TO REPORT MAJOR CONCERNS - MORE INFO ON THHE GHR PAGE.

Of course, I notice that your coding of the [.help][./help] tag doesn't include the proper end tag. Here's the coding you're looking for:
[help]THIS IS THE LINK TO GHRs. USE IT TO REPORT MAJOR CONCERNS - MORE INFO ON THHE GHR PAGE[/help]

(You may also want to spell-check the text inside the code tags, as you have THHE, which is likely a typo.)
Proud Member of UNOG

The Sword
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sword » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:04 pm

Is my sig okay?
0 - Inner Colonies invaded, Emergency protocol in effect, martial law declared.
1 - Total War
2 - War Readiness/Normal War
3 - increased surveillance watch
4 - Noticed, watched
5 - Peace
We are an empire spanning 40,000 solar systems, we have a population of 80 billion and our colonies are heavily defended, but we will not godmod and it is possible for our defenses - and colonies - to fall.

The plural is Swordian. I'm either PMT or FT, take your pick.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:07 pm

The Sword wrote:Is my sig okay?

The rule is "8 visible lines". That and following all the other forum rules, of course. I see 5-6 lines in yours, depending on whether you count spoilers as 1, 1.5, or 2 lines. I usually count them as 1.5 unless they're used with a float tag, in which case they're one.

The Sword
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sword » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:19 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:
The Sword wrote:Is my sig okay?

The rule is "8 visible lines". That and following all the other forum rules, of course. I see 5-6 lines in yours, depending on whether you count spoilers as 1, 1.5, or 2 lines. I usually count them as 1.5 unless they're used with a float tag, in which case they're one.

Thanks for clearing that up for me, Fris.
0 - Inner Colonies invaded, Emergency protocol in effect, martial law declared.
1 - Total War
2 - War Readiness/Normal War
3 - increased surveillance watch
4 - Noticed, watched
5 - Peace
We are an empire spanning 40,000 solar systems, we have a population of 80 billion and our colonies are heavily defended, but we will not godmod and it is possible for our defenses - and colonies - to fall.

The plural is Swordian. I'm either PMT or FT, take your pick.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu May 03, 2012 2:47 am

Quick question: was my sig mod tweaked?
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Thu May 03, 2012 11:10 am

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Quick question: was my sig mod tweaked?

That was me. It appeared to have too much whitespace, and I'm afraid I got carried away. The stupid Spoiler tags take up 1.5-2 lines each and won't post side by side without float tags, so I floated them all on the same line to save space.

While we allow up to 8 lines, some of us (well, me for sure) don't like seeing all that extra space between posts. It distracts from the flow of the thread, and the only possible benefit I can see is the ego of the poster. I did a spin through the Forums and trimmed a bunch of close-to-the limit sigs.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Moderation